Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would anyone go see Fantastic Beasts 3 lmao. Even if Rowling wasn’t trash, the second movie definitely was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Am I crazy for thinking about reactivating my AMC A-List? I have a theater 2 blocks away. Unfortunately, the release schedule looks uncertain after July, but it's just a 3 month commitment anyway.

Movies I definitely want to see:
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Thor: Love and Thunder

Movies I'd be willing to see:
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
Men
Top Gun: Maverick
Jurassic World Dominion
Bullet Train

I don't use A-List but I have a local regional chain with a similar program for pretty much the same cost as AMC's and I get a lot of value out of it. Way I see it is, if I use it 2-3 times a month then I have saved money and anything more than that is icing on the cake. Feels like it'd be worth it for all those movies there!

Personally I get a lot of value out of it since it has made me more flexible about just going out and seeing any 'ol movie after work instead of worrying about whether or not it's "worth" it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Srice posted:

I don't use A-List but I have a local regional chain with a similar program for pretty much the same cost as AMC's and I get a lot of value out of it. Way I see it is, if I use it 2-3 times a month then I have saved money and anything more than that is icing on the cake. Feels like it'd be worth it for all those movies there!

Personally I get a lot of value out of it since it has made me more flexible about just going out and seeing any 'ol movie after work instead of worrying about whether or not it's "worth" it.

Yeah, I did one of these years ago and it got me seeing some gems I wouldn’t have seen otherwise (plus some crap but them’s the breaks)

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Lol I saw Geostorm opening night because of moviepass. RIP you beautiful bastard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gripweed posted:

My 31st movie of 2022 was Who Are You, Polly Magoo. It's basically the spiritual predecessor to Irma Vep; A beautiful young woman moves to France for her career only to discover that literally all French people are depraved freaks.

Why do I get the feeling this should be a tired stereotype but French people would just go 'Oui, we are'

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Made a playlist for songs about how your hometown sucks and you want to leave
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3Ry6Ha8lL0rOvYaAEekP0w?si=k1KS0-coT6K-TpRvmZx9PA&utm_source=copy-link

Any other suggestions

The Weakerthans - One Great City!
R. Walt Vincent - Someplace Good
The Animals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is better than you expect it to be. I am well aware of what people in this forum expect from it. It is still better than that.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

Hand Knit posted:

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is better than you expect it to be. I am well aware of what people in this forum expect from it. It is still better than that.

Yuuuuuup. Went in with expectations sky high and it somehow exceeded them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Escobarbarian posted:

Why would anyone go see Fantastic Beasts 3 lmao. Even if Rowling wasn’t trash, the second movie definitely was

I'm going to wait until the third one arrives on HBO Max and then just marathon all three of them on a weekend night. Having not seen any of them, but I think it'll be one hell of an evening.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Chewbacca posted:

Yuuuuuup. Went in with expectations sky high and it somehow exceeded them.

I've basically been thinking non-stop about how well set up the auditor's trophy fight was. Like the fight itself is already a wonderfully ridiculous piece of Jackie Chan martial arts, but it was so perfectly set up with jokes that hit fully on their own:

(1) We're introduced to the trophy with Deirdre showing off her three auditor of the month awards
(2) We get the scene of the alpha jumpers doing weird poo poo to connect with their alt-selves before storming Evelen in the boss's sex room
We're even primed for the trophy up the butt by the eventual trophy fight guy photocopying his butt in that scene.

And of course, at the end, we get an even bigger punchline of the shot, from below, of the other guy jumping split-legged and pantsless over the fight and onto the trophy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/NBCNewsTHINK/status/1510005995879153673?s=20&t=GXFwojtq8R9XqSM5tpDFVg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The definitive vampire is literally a sexually predatory aristocrat and landowner who casually eats the poor.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm going to wait until the third one arrives on HBO Max and then just marathon all three of them on a weekend night. Having not seen any of them, but I think it'll be one hell of an evening.

That'll make it really obvious she is writing them as she goes and has no larger plan.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first one wasn’t that bad tbh but the second was freakin abysmal

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

duz posted:

That'll make it really obvious she is writing them as she goes and has no larger plan.

I mean it's worked for her so far!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Gonna get a visit from a Great Dane tomorrow, let her figure out the space. I think the guy doesn't want to give her up so he might find an excuse to turn me down

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/mangledbyatree/status/1510003359096397829?t=q1SLYt4NiNy-_N6IJrwcDw&s=19

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eva sucks watch Rahxephon

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Eva rebuilds are awesome but need the context of the original. RahXephon is cool though watch it too.

I got immense satisfaction, peace and happiness out of the EVA Rebuild finale.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

They're both good it's not a contest

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gaius Marius posted:

I rewatched that a year ago on a whim and it has one of the steepest nose dives of any anime I've watched. The ending absolutely craters.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

I've basically been thinking non-stop about how well set up the auditor's trophy fight was. Like the fight itself is already a wonderfully ridiculous piece of Jackie Chan martial arts, but it was so perfectly set up with jokes that hit fully on their own:

(1) We're introduced to the trophy with Deirdre showing off her three auditor of the month awards
(2) We get the scene of the alpha jumpers doing weird poo poo to connect with their alt-selves before storming Evelen in the boss's sex room
We're even primed for the trophy up the butt by the eventual trophy fight guy photocopying his butt in that scene.

And of course, at the end, we get an even bigger punchline of the shot, from below, of the other guy jumping split-legged and pantsless over the fight and onto the trophy.

100% although for me the gag that both landed the hardest and was also structured so perfectly it'd make my college screenwriting professors weep is Raccoonatooie

(1) Evelyn misremembers the name of Ratatooie (in itself an amazing joke because of all the Matrix homages that have come before this moment)
(2) The teppanyaki universe is revealed and it seems the only difference is Evelyn's profession
(3) We later get delightfully blindsided by the revelation that this is also the universe where Raccoonatooie is real
(4) The Raccoonatooie subplot becomes an important part of the themes and the action of the finale

The scene where Evelyn lifts Chad up onto her shoulders had me howling while also being deeply touching.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The definitive vampire is literally a sexually predatory aristocrat and landowner who casually eats the poor.

Looks like Jared Leto's a method actor.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Chewbacca posted:

100% although for me the gag that both landed the hardest and was also structured so perfectly it'd make my college screenwriting professors weep is Raccoonatooie

(1) Evelyn misremembers the name of Ratatooie (in itself an amazing joke because of all the Matrix homages that have come before this moment)
(2) The teppanyaki universe is revealed and it seems the only difference is Evelyn's profession
(3) We later get delightfully blindsided by the revelation that this is also the universe where Raccoonatooie is real
(4) The Raccoonatooie subplot becomes an important part of the themes and the action of the finale

The scene where Evelyn lifts Chad up onto her shoulders had me howling while also being deeply touching.

The way the goddamn hotdog finger universe kept getting meaningfully worked into the plot :psyduck:

Also appreciated the brief Raimi homage with the POV shot of the dog flail as it flew into the fridge.

So many incredible payoffs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ghost Leviathan posted:

who casually eats the poor.

Jared Leto, doing an impression of Barney Gumble: "It isn't casual!"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I rewatched that a year ago on a whim and it has one of the steepest nose dives of any anime I've watched. The ending absolutely craters.

Endings the best part my dude.

Gripweed posted:

They're both good it's not a contest

Look buddy, I'm saltier than Lot's wife that Eva gets all this praise and Rahxephon gets nothing. I will take any opportunity to promote it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The way the goddamn hotdog finger universe kept getting meaningfully worked into the plot :psyduck:

Also appreciated the brief Raimi homage with the POV shot of the dog flail as it flew into the fridge.

So many incredible payoffs.

The dog/flying guillotine fight is yet another high point, yeah. And another one: the pacing on the rock scene is fantastic, managing to escalate through three different punchlines.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

All this time talking about anime and yet none of you are watching Demon Knight.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also describes Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gaius Marius posted:

Endings the best part my dude.

At the end we're told that Ayato's trauma isn't really real, and that he just needs to man up and start slapping his women around if they're giving him trouble. Quon, the one woman who's character arc doesn't revolve around a man, decides after spending the past dozen or so episodes learning to assert herself and take control over her life that what she really wants to do is submit to Ayato. They use the power of god and anime to create a new world were everyone is paired up and they're all happily making children.

Episodes 10-19 are absolute fire and if the show ended then I'd happy call it one of the very best of it's era, but the ending super sucks.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CPL593H posted:

All this time talking about anime and yet none of you are watching Demon Knight.

Billy Zane’s magnum opus.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

Billy Zane’s magnum opus.

Absolutely. He was clearly having a goddamn ball making that movie.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

The dog/flying guillotine fight is yet another high point, yeah. And another one: the pacing on the rock scene is fantastic, managing to escalate through three different punchlines.

I think there's something legitimately beautiful to the idea that even in a universe where life never evolved on earth you still exist in a different form

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

The Peccadillo posted:

Gonna get a visit from a Great Dane tomorrow, let her figure out the space. I think the guy doesn't want to give her up so he might find an excuse to turn me down

The guy never turned up and then told me he got covid

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Morbius is the number one movie in America. The people love Morbius

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1510436926645407749?s=20&t=r42rA57Bd-wEYoLQ1cptiQ

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

Morbius is the number one movie in America. The people love Morbius

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1510436926645407749?s=20&t=r42rA57Bd-wEYoLQ1cptiQ

$38 million doesn’t sound like a great opening unless the movie was like $75 million or something budget. But I guess #1 counts for something

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was 75 million budget

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sucking Marvel’s fumes between proper Disney releases. The Sony films seem like the major-studio version of what The Asylum used to do with Transmorphers and Sunday School Musical, or maybe what Filmation did with the Ghostbusters cartoon with the gorilla.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gatts posted:

$38 million doesn’t sound like a great opening unless the movie was like $75 million or something budget. But I guess #1 counts for something

CelticPredator posted:

It was 75 million budget

Morbius wins again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hahaha I was just guessing at the budget but dang!