Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I’d say the rest of the Baltics are likely to as well.

Poland might accelerate their own plans.

Already the case de facto, this may be a coordinated move.

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/ekonomika/conexus-kops-aprila-sakuma-uz-baltijas-valstim-vairs-neplust-krievijas-gaze.a450779/

Russian gas flow to Baltics has ceased as of yesterday (detailed reason is not stated clearly), and all 3 are being supplied by gas from Lithuanian LNG terminal and Latvian gas reserves (we have the only depot in Baltics).

mobby_6kl posted:

Jesus Christ I'll wait for confirmation but that's horrific. My mom's friend lives there and their son was staying put waaay too long, but he got out eventually. Wtf.

fnox posted:

Is there confirmation of this? I don't think they would straight up execute every able bodied man remaining in the village and then just leave their bodies in the street but gently caress, at this stage everything is possible.

I’d like a separate confirmation as well, but Politico Europe chief editor is credible enough for me to post this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
It would be exactly the same kind of poo poo that went down in the balkan wars so if found it horrifyingly unsurprising yet damning at the same time.

Just a whiff of it is too much, even if its some random Russian major doing a dollar store Srebrenica.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

SlowBloke posted:

Post war EU procurement has been a lot of projects that ended up under delivering while being over budgets, with the main reaction being cutting orders so the kit is under developed. Most european armies have been cut to the bone so i fear anything ground level would help but not be decisive, esp if after a russian full mobilization.

Nah.
Greece and Germany alone have combined more Leopard2s (~600) than Russia has T90s (active 350+storage200).

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

vuk83 posted:

Is EU airforce capable of mounting a dead/sead campaign?

This is one of the biggest holes in non-US NATO capabilities that is hopefully filled by the addition of dedicated European F-35s. The Dutch will be the first to bring SEAD/DEAD capabilities back to non-US NATO forces.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

At last, a worthy opponent

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Regarding whether this is a disorderly retreat or not, is there possibly some confusion of technical military terms? My impression is that an “orderly retreat” refers not to tidiness but to unit cohesion - that is, do the officers know where their men are, are the men still listening to their officers, are they all roughly where they’re supposed to be, and above all, if they were attacked right now could they turn around and put up an organized fight? If so, one can be untidy and leave junk everywhere while still conducting an orderly retreat. Can anyone with military experience weigh in and let me know if I’m wrong here?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I'm told Erdogan said he can't host the meeting between Putin and Zelensky, because they don't have a table long enough.

Embarrassingly, he have a big enough table, but only 2 chairs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I have started watching Servant of the People (Слуга народу), the Zelensky show. I've only made it to episode 5/51 now but it's definitely worth taking a look at if you can (in Finland it's in Yle Areena).

One of the locations seen in it is the residence of Viktor Yanukovich, which was turned into a public park when he was ousted. More specifically the luxurious Honka club house, called so because it was built by Finnish Honkarakenne construction company. They have also built stuff for Vladimir Putin, Dmitri Medvedev and Elizabeth II.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

Regarding whether this is a disorderly retreat or not, is there possibly some confusion of technical military terms? My impression is that an “orderly retreat” refers not to tidiness but to unit cohesion - that is, do the officers know where their men are, are the men still listening to their officers, are they all roughly where they’re supposed to be, and above all, if they were attacked right now could they turn around and put up an organized fight? If so, one can be untidy and leave junk everywhere while still conducting an orderly retreat. Can anyone with military experience weigh in and let me know if I’m wrong here?

Yeah that's pretty much correct. However, a unit conducting an orderly retreat will not be leaving working vehicles and personal poo poo like helmets and guns behind.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Nenonen posted:

I have started watching Servant of the People (Слуга народу), the Zelensky show. I've only made it to episode 5/51 now but it's definitely worth taking a look at if you can (in Finland it's in Yle Areena).

Arte has it with German or French subtitles https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/104351-002-A/diener-des-volkes-1-23/

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Relevant Tangent posted:

colonizers always expect to be forgiven eventually, it's a huge blind spot

I mean, we're not talking about colonizers, we're talking about their descendants. I would expect, at some point, that people would not be held responsible for the misdeeds of their far distant ancestors. Especially because 99% of humans are descended from some group that took land or other resources by force from some other group. It's not reasonable to say that Istanbul should be given back to Eastern Orthodox Christians to be the seat of a reformed Byzantine Empire, or that one area of tribal land in the US in abject poverty needs to cede it to another tribe living in abject poverty because their oral traditions say it was stolen before the arrival of Europeans. The idea that you can go arbitrarily far back in history when determining who has a right to an area is actually one of the twisted justifications Israeli settlers use.

That's not to say determining who should have a right is always simple, because there can be a gray area between an act of colonialism that took place a decade ago where it should obviously be given back and one that took place a millenium ago where trying to do that would do more harm to humanity than good. But saying there's no statute of limitations isn't the way to solve that.

Dog King fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 2, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Winks posted:

This is one of the biggest holes in non-US NATO capabilities that is hopefully filled by the addition of dedicated European F-35s. The Dutch will be the first to bring SEAD/DEAD capabilities back to non-US NATO forces.

Air support is costly on missiles, given the last time European forces went hard they ran out of ordnance in a week or so, those f35 would have to start dropping barrel bombs quick. Having f35 doesn't fix having stupid small stock of missiles and bombs.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Tomn posted:

During an orderly retreat, you carry your equipment with you, and anything you can't take with you, you render inoperable.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

https://twitter.com/szescstopni/status/1509638049810030599?s=20&t=nNeuJw1KSNIiLhGOliPzNg

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

99% of Turkish men come back from military service saying “there were dudes there who’d never seen a toilet before. What a country” for my and my dads lifetime

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

It's also in Netflix iirc.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1510343433570897929

Now I wonder how updated they are. Besides the Kharkiv tank plant there are some facilities in Lviv though I would be surprised if they are not bombed to pieces yet, but maybe some orphanage was higher on the Russian priority list.

(Ukraine does operate some T-72AMT though it prefers the 64 family... Come to think of it, did Warsaw pact countries get solely the cheaper 72 instead of the more expensive 64?)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

slowdave posted:

It's also in Netflix iirc.

Only on select countries. Italy will start broadcasting on la7 on the 4th, blocking netflix here.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Now I wonder how updated they are. Besides the Kharkiv tank plant there are some facilities in Lviv though I would be surprised if they are not bombed to pieces yet, but maybe some orphanage was higher on the Russian priority list.

(Ukraine does operate some T-72AMT though it prefers the 64 family... Come to think of it, did Warsaw pact countries get solely the cheaper 72 instead of the more expensive 64?)

The t72 was exported to a alot of warpac country's.
The t64 were kept in the ussr, of which ukraine was apart.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

This seems to be a common theme. Each side says the other has accepted its version of the negotiations.

Crimea is going to be a major sticking point, regardless.

Yeah, I very much doubt it unless there's been some significant shift in their wish list from Istanbul where they basically wanted every major power on the planet to give them security guarantees above and beyond Article 5 (and support their bid for the EU). And there's certainly no way the Russians are agreeing to anything like the former.

OddObserver posted:

Here is the Ukrainian position:
https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/03/29/7335506/

They *want* signed + ratified/binding security guarantees from:

Which is Britain, China, Russia, US, France, Turkey, Germany, Canada, Italy, Poland and Israel.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

OddObserver posted:

(Come to think of it, did Warsaw pact countries get solely the cheaper 72 instead of the more expensive 64?)

Correct, T-64/80 was never exported.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:nws: later in the thread are photos of tanks which are husks and may have bodies.

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1510281020712624133

I wonder if these are really new wrecks

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

I think we should be careful with holding our breaths, after all those “jets will be arriving within hours” tweets.

PerilPastry posted:

Yeah, I very much doubt it unless there's been some significant shift in their wish list from Istanbul where they basically wanted every major power on the planet to give them security guarantees above and beyond Article 5 (and support their bid for the EU). And there's certainly no way the Russians are agreeing to anything like the former.

We also have public statements from US and U.K. that they’re not hot on providing such guarantees.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

I can just imagine them flinging olives & paper Bayraktars at each other across that monstrosity. :getin:

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the war room!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We also have public statements from US and U.K. that they’re not hot on providing such guarantees.

Which means if this war ends with Ukraine substantially intact there will be another war in a few years, and they'll be morally culpable for it.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Russia is actually mass murdering civilians in ukraine, not only by air but by soldiers as well. Come nuclear war but im starting to think there should be an armed intervention against russia.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

OddObserver posted:

Which means if this war ends with Ukraine substantially intact there will be another war in a few years, and they'll be morally culpable for it.

poo poo, they were doing that in Syria. Where was the outrage then?

[e] wrong quote:P

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Nice of russia to make things extremely morally clear whenever given the opportunity

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

OddObserver posted:

Ukraine has T64s because they had the only real factories that could produce them. The only other nations that use them are Russia, Congo, and Transnistria. The last two barely have any.

T72s are kind of the modern "good enough" tanks. Coquito was trying to explain to me what made them and the T90s particularly meh-to-bad, but a lot of it went over my head.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cimber posted:

poo poo, they were doing that in Syria. Where was the outrage then?

[e] wrong quote:P

Ah yes, seems like we should just let it slide, then!

Also, there was plenty of moral outrage about Syria.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

the popes toes posted:

Rephrase the question

Why is the Biden admin OK with European countries emptying their warehouses of Soviet hardware to send to Ukraine?

It's a European decision to make. Those are not his tanks. Why should the US not be OK with that?

As to aircraft, poo poo I got nothing. That particular issue just gets murky everytime it's mentioned, so dunno.

Eh, the Biden admin said multiple times that if Poland wanted to hand their planes over directly they were welcome too. What Biden didn’t want it Poland to hand them to the US to give to Ukraine.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1510298120118325257?t=IgsqUvfBsq3QG69icet6fA&s=19 Seems to be confirmation of a full on massacre.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Dog King posted:

I mean, we're not talking about colonizers, we're talking about their descendants. I would expect, at some point, that people would not be held responsible for the misdeeds of their far distant ancestors. Especially because 99% of humans are descended from some group that took land or other resources by force from some other group. It's not reasonable to say that Istanbul should be given back to Eastern Orthodox Christians to be the seat of a reformed Byzantine Empire, or that one area of tribal land in the US in abject poverty needs to cede it to another tribe living in abject poverty because their oral traditions say it was stolen before the arrival of Europeans. The idea that you can go arbitrarily far back in history when determining who has a right to an area is actually one of the twisted justifications Israeli settlers use.

That's not to say determining who should have a right is always simple, because there can be a gray area between an act of colonialism that took place a decade ago where it should obviously be given back and one that took place a millenium ago where trying to do that would do more harm to humanity than good. But saying there's no statute of limitations isn't the way to solve that.

Yeah except in case of Eastern Europe, the descendants of the descendants of the shitheads still believe putting people on trains to ship them off to Siberia was the right thing to do.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Winks posted:

Both Italy and Germany have dedicated SEAD aircraft and munitions. Not sure about Germany, but Italian Air Force trains a lot for that mission.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

So the Ukrainian army found a mass grave, with four visible bodies, one of them with his hands tied behind his back near Motyzhyn in Kyiv Oblast.
The follow up tweets contain similar pictures of executed civilians, some of them with their hands tied from Bucha. Just such a senseless slaughter. Russia needs to at minimum be sanctioned to hell.

Obviously :nms:

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1510336248526909447

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The Village Elder(? --- not sure how to really translate Starosta) of Motyzhyn and her husband, who have earlier been reported as taken by Russian soldiers have also been reportedly found dead. I don't know if it's the same location of found bodies or a different one.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/04/2/7336699/

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

@Osinttechnical is doing a thread at the moment too. Report of five women, disposed of naked on the side of the road, doused with fuel and lit.

These are the most directly bloody handed images I think I've ever seen.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Would it maybe be a QCS thing to ask for an alternate NMS tag/smilie? It's always bothered me that the same little crying face is the same image we use to tag dead bodies as we do weird DeviantArt posts. I'm willing to get told I'm wrong on this, but it's bugged me for years.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Pennsylvanian posted:

Ukraine has T64s because they had the only real factories that could produce them. The only other nations that use them are Russia, Congo, and Transnistria. The last two barely have any.

T72s are kind of the modern "good enough" tanks. Coquito was trying to explain to me what made them and the T90s particularly meh-to-bad, but a lot of it went over my head.

There's a big difference between the T72 and the various NATO tanks, but not that much of gap between the T64 and T72. The divide between the various tank lines within the USSR had much more to do with internal USSR politics than any sort of military strategy. The T64 and T72/T90 perform about the same if they have the same crew training, leadership, supply, and modernization levels. Ukrainian troops have all been training for this exact war since 2014, meanwhile Russia pulled many soldiers who never expected to get involved in a large conventional war. The Ukrainian officer corps have prepared heavily for this and signed up for their roles knowing that war might come and that junior officers suffer some of the highest casualty rates in a peer war. The Russian officer corps are full of failsons. The Russians have obviously failed at logistics in ways Ukraine clearly hasn't. Finally, Russian corruption meant that most of the money allocated to upgrade 40-year-old tanks instead bought fancy mansions. Ukraine still has corruption issues, but most of the money poured into their military seems to have gotten there. Now Ukrainian tanks have fancy things like good night vision, add-on armor that wasn't replaced with cheaper cardboard, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Murgos posted:

Eh, the Biden admin said multiple times that if Poland wanted to hand their planes over directly they were welcome too. What Biden didn’t want it Poland to hand them to the US to give to Ukraine.

gently caress's sake, just give them to me and I'll tow them over the loving border.