Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

Going forward I think there needs to be sort sort of lever to ensure open media in any countries want to be part of global trade. We can’t keep funding governments who foster hatred and nationalism in the name of growth at any cost. I hope the bankers and policy makers finally wake up to this fact.

I am not sure that would work out as you imagine. Take a look at the democracy index for example.

I realize that free press and democracy are not the same thing, but they do tend to go hand in hand in most cases. Taking a look at press freedom is even worse though...

Most of the world is not democratic and does not have open media. How do you think the world order will shake out when you try to divide the world in 2 camps - the reds and the greens? And what is the eventual outcome of such a world order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

FishBulbia posted:

I think in final judgement if Western arms turned out to be the decisive factor is adjusting the balance of Power, then Mearsheimer was wrong. If Ukraine can actually defeat Russia, then he was wrong.

Well, Mearsheimer suggested that NATO should encourage Russia to invade Ukraine because it would be their Vietnam or their second Afghanistan. He also said that he felt Putin was "far too smart" to do that. So, half-right.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phlegmish posted:

Kazakhstan has a large Russian minority, and it used to be part of the Soviet Union. They probably don't like the precedent that is being set by this war, even if they're currently on good terms with Russia.

Because of a quirk of Soviet policy, Kazakhstan also owns a small piece of real estate called Baikanour which is pretty crucial to Russian prestige. It's currently leased to the Russian government but so were the naval installations in Sevastopol and look how that turned out for the lessor.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Bel Shazar posted:

Strange to see it used as an attack at all. The concept of spheres of influence never stopped being true, it's only gotten more complex and faster.

There is a difference between the descriptive claim and the normative claim: Saying that governments of powerful states feel empowered to control the lives ofthose who they have the power to injure is very different fro saying that it is right and good that they act in this manner. You can accept that powerful people believe this while also knowing that it is morally repugnant.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

The point of the SoI thing isn't that they're cool and good, its that Putin's Russia views Ukraine as existential, and the west does not. Mearshiemer's main point is that NATO will not be willing to directly defend Ukraine, but Russia will be very willing to invade Ukraine. This has been proven to be true. What you can take issue with is his suggestion that this fact meant that Ukraine should shape its FP around avoiding war with Russia at all costs.

Mearsheimer has this weird blind spot for Europe, where he considers Russia a great power, but refuses to consider the EU and the individual nations of Europe as having agency and power of their own. He all but mocks the EU as irrelevant, and frames everything in terms of the US and Russia. But this is not simply Ukraine tragically aligning itself towards the US and thus making the military confrontation with Russia inevitable. Ukraine has been orienting itself towards Europe first and foremost - and then in parallel seeking to join NATO, because they know that Russia sees Ukraine not just a lost client state, but also containing a lost part of Russia itself.

It is true that NATO would not and has not stepped in to defend Ukraine. But it is also true that Russian aggression against Ukraine is an existential threat to 'Pax Europaea' - which is one of the very few things that can actually unite Europeans and make them truly upset. Because Europe is a much greater power than Russia, but an odd insular one with an extreme aversion to military conflict. Europe will bend and compromise on almost anything to avoid conflict - but 'No War on the Continent' is the raison d'être of the EU.

Russia messed with that, and the EU as a collective reacted so strongly that even the Russian-friendly governments had no choice but to take a strong stand on this. Especially when Ukraine didn't fold and a 'real' war ensued. The war crimes have just added fuel to this bonfire.

So it is simply wrong to consider this in terms of just the US and Russia. The invasion challenges the fundamental principles upon which post-war Europe is built. The US administration isn't blind to this and has skillfully responded to this unexpected strong common alignment. But Russia, and many others, are still completely blind to just how badly Russia stepped out of line. The EU has slowly crept up on Russia, not NATO. And this shift in the balance of power has made Russian designs on Eastern Europe and the Baltics anathema to the EU. Even more so when asserted through wars of conquest.

Realists need to acknowledge Europe is not an extension of the US. It is a power, strongly allied with the US, sure - but with an independent reason to oppose Russia on this. If Russia is unable to get past their insistence on buffer states and irredentism it will inevitably lead to direct conflict with Europe. But you don't hear Mearsheimer suggesting that Russia should shape its FP to avoid war with Europe at all costs. And that China should know better than to support Russia in challenging Europe on an existential level.

The cold war is over. Europe isn't a playground for blue and red. Russia has nuclear weapons but is otherwise completely undeserving of being considered a great power. The US and Europe have a strong alliance, at least until Trump or someone like him comes back to wreck it - but Europe is not an American vassal. But I guess Mearsheimer is stuck in his American exceptionalism and cold war-centric thinking. His work isn't without merit, but his perception of Europe is absurd and almost offensive.

PederP fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 3, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Quixzlizx posted:

Why does the "anti-imperialist" left have such a hard-on for rationalizing Russia's sphere of influence, when "sphere of influence" is the most imperialist of imperialist conceits, created during the Age of Imperialism?

It's the "realist" take. The logic goes something like this: NATO was never going to directly defend Ukraine, but Russia is prepared to go to war to prevent Ukraine from aligning westwards. Ukraine is a much less powerful country than Russia, therefore Ukraine is going to lose that war. NATO indirectly supporting Ukraine will just drag the war out and cause more civilian suffering, therefore Ukraine should surrender and accept that it's in Russia's sphere of influence to avoid the horrors of war. Russia is the bad guy because they're invading, Ukraine is the bad guy because they're causing civilian suffering by not surrendering and also for having neo-nazis in their army and a lot of ultranationalist sentiments gaining ground because the country is being invaded, and NATO is the bad guy for conducting a proxy war in Ukraine at the expense of the Ukrainian people.

I don't think it's necessarily an internally incoherent position, but it doesn't really account for the fact that Ukraine actually has a decent chance of getting out of this war with its sovereignty intact. Or maybe it does but that is also a bad outcome because they think it's guaranteed to make Ukrainian politics take a hard turn for the far right if not outright neo-nazism, I dunno.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 3, 2022

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Because of a quirk of Soviet policy, Kazakhstan also owns a small piece of real estate called Baikanour which is pretty crucial to Russian prestige. It's currently leased to the Russian government but so were the naval installations in Sevastopol and look how that turned out for the lessor.

Some years ago Putin seemingly randomly brought up the fact that Kazakhstan had never had statehood before the fall of the USSR (which is true), and I didn't really think much of it at the time. It's a historical fact (as far as I know, I'm not sure the various steppe statelets really count) and a Russian leader bringing it up when discussing their country's relations with Kazakhstan seemed harmless. Putin's recent comments about Ukrainian statehood being fake or undeserved have certainly made me look at this statement in a new light.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PederP posted:

at least until Trump or someone like him comes back to wreck it - but Europe is not an American vassal.

I think Trump coming in is in part responsible for the acceleration of European independence from the US, though clearly not the end of European partnership with the US. One of the very small silver linings to Trump's tenure, perhaps. I'm very glad to see the unified (to whatever extent, ha!) democracies of Europe finding their own feet and feeling their oats. Europe should be strong and able to defend itself. A strong Europe will make for a much better partner as we continue into the 21st century and the struggle between authoritarianism and democracy continues.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Deteriorata posted:

The assertion that NATO would never allow Ukraine to join seems like an unsupported assumption. Ukraine was pretty thoroughly corrupt with Russia-aligned oligarchs for a long time, and of course NATO wasn't going to take them as long as they were in charge.

Cleaning up its government and economy was a necessary precondition for NATO consideration, but there was no permanent barrier as far as I have seen. Ukraine has spent the last 20 years trying to clean up its act, and Russia has been actively working to undermine it. They invaded because Ukraine was too determined and might actually succeed.

And of course NATO wasn't going to intervene directly to defend them, they aren't a NATO member.

It's not only the corruption (and was never about Ukraine's military strength like Zelensky is pushing now, that was never the issue, NATO has members with no military) Mearsheimer argued that Ukraine in NATO essentially decreased the security of all members because Russia was going to continue intervening to prevent NATO ascension at all costs, to the point of open full scale invasion.........

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

PederP posted:

Realists need to acknowledge Europe is not an extension of the US. It is a power, strongly allied with the US, sure - but with an independent reason to oppose Russia on this. If Russia is unable to get past their insistence on buffer states and irredentism it will inevitably lead to direct conflict with Europe. But you don't hear Mearsheimer suggesting that Russia should shape its FP to avoid war with Europe at all costs. And that China should know better than to support Russia in challenging Europe on an existential level.

Mearsheimer's contention is that he is describing how states will act, not how they should act. His view is that Russia and China operate as "20th-century" thinkers and that the West's decision to act as if we have passed that era is what is leading it to ruin against foes still operating according to great power logic. So his stance isn't about what Russia should or shouldn't do, but rather states that it is simply what Russia is going to do no matter what and the West needed to plan accordingly. Re: Ukraine, he basically felt the West was doing the worst possible thing for both the geopolitical order and Ukraine - drawing them close to NATO/EU but never actually admitting them (not that he felt we should admit them at all).

So, he was prescient in saying that Ukraine was destined for further conflict with Russia as the West and Russia's behaviors there were fundamentally incompatible. He didn't anticipate an actual invasion, but mainly because he thought it would be a very dumb decision.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

How are u posted:

I think Trump coming in is in part responsible for the acceleration of European independence from the US, though clearly not the end of European partnership with the US. One of the very small silver linings to Trump's tenure, perhaps. I'm very glad to see the unified (to whatever extent, ha!) democracies of Europe finding their own feet and feeling their oats. Europe should be strong and able to defend itself. A strong Europe will make for a much better partner as we continue into the 21st century and the struggle between authoritarianism and democracy continues.

Russia may have awoken a sleeping giant.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

TheFluff posted:

It's the "realist" take. The logic goes something like this: NATO was never going to directly defend Ukraine, but Russia is prepared to go to war to prevent Ukraine from aligning westwards. Ukraine is a much less powerful country than Russia, therefore Ukraine is going to lose that war. NATO indirectly supporting Ukraine will just drag the war out and cause more civilian suffering, therefore Ukraine should surrender and accept that it's in Russia's sphere of influence to avoid the horrors of war. Russia is the bad guy because they're invading, Ukraine is the bad guy because they're causing civilian suffering by not surrendering and also for having neo-nazis in their army and a lot of ultranationalist sentiments gaining ground because the country is being invaded, and NATO is the bad guy for conducting a proxy war in Ukraine at the expense of the Ukrainian people.

I don't think it's necessarily an internally incoherent position, but it doesn't really account for the fact that Ukraine actually has a decent chance of getting out of this war with its sovereignty intact. Or maybe it does but that is also a bad outcome because they think it's guaranteed to make Ukrainian politics take a hard turn for the far right if not outright neo-nazism, I dunno.

Except my statement wasn't regarding the IR perspective, but self-righteous people who proclaim themselves anti-imperialist and anti-war, but obviously only care about denouncing imperialism in specific contexts, which I will leave to your imagination.

And I would also say that anyone who genuinely believes that it's bad that Ukraine is defending itself from an imperialist invader who's willing to commit genocide because it will lead to increased nationalist sentiment is mentally incoherent, let alone ideologically incoherent.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Quixzlizx posted:

And I would also say that anyone who genuinely believes that it's bad that Ukraine is defending itself from an imperialist invader who's willing to commit genocide because it will lead to increased nationalist sentiment is mentally incoherent, let alone ideologically incoherent.

Not if they believe that the Russians aren't going to genocide anyone, but that the Ukrainian neo-nazis will, if given the chance (or perhaps that they both could). Which seems to be a reasonably common take from what I've seen.

To be absolutely clear here, me attempting to explain a point of view that I believe exists does not mean I endorse it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheFluff posted:

This take makes a pretty strong assumption that surrender would cease the violence against their population.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

How are u posted:

Agreed. I see the main difference between Europe and the US when it comes to military matters is that Europe really like the 'peace dividend'. The crusading days of Europe are over and so are the days of building colonial empires. Europe is the old geezer who did some bad poo poo, had some bad poo poo done to him, went into rehab, came out ok, got back together with the estranged family, and now he wants to settle down and reap the fruits of peace.

I really hope Russia doesn't bring the old European bastard out of retirement beyond making sure peace is restored and Ukraine is made a full member of the European family. I am very European. I like my peace dividends. I'd like Russia to a be sensible neighbor again, so we don't have to be without those dividends on a long-term basis.

Concerned Citizen posted:

Mearsheimer's contention is that he is describing how states will act, not how they should act. His view is that Russia and China operate as "20th-century" thinkers and that the West's decision to act as if we have passed that era is what is leading it to ruin against foes still operating according to great power logic. So his stance isn't about what Russia should or shouldn't do, but rather states that it is simply what Russia is going to do no matter what and the West needed to plan accordingly. Re: Ukraine, he basically felt the West was doing the worst possible thing for both the geopolitical order and Ukraine - drawing them close to NATO/EU but never actually admitting them (not that he felt we should admit them at all).

So, he was prescient in saying that Ukraine was destined for further conflict with Russia as the West and Russia's behaviors there were fundamentally incompatible. He didn't anticipate an actual invasion, but mainly because he thought it would be a very dumb decision.

Yes, but he was also completely blind to how Europe would react to Russia invading Ukraine. He just considers Europe an extension of the US, which I find insulting and dumb. An observation on how a war of aggression on the European continent is anathema to Europe isn't normative, it doesn't say what Russia should or shouldn't do. It would just involve that Russia will end up in direct conflict with a far greater power than itself if they do so. And by extension, that doing so would irrational and dumb.

I am not saying he justified Russian aggression. I am saying his warning to 'the West' was dumb, because Europe is a power in its own right. Europe is allied closely to the US, which means that NATO and EU membership often go hand in hand, but the US is not the principal actor regarding Ukraine. He may have been prescient in saying Ukraine was destined for conflict - but he gave the wrong reasons. It was destined for conflict because Russia is threatening Europe - not because the US and friends are threatening Russia.

NATO and EU are completely different things and when people like Mearsheimer talk about the EU as if it was some fringe benefit of being in NATO, it ruffles my European pride quite a bit. Russia is a very relevant regional power to consider in international relations. But lumping the US and Europe together as 'the West' is just as dumb as if he lumped Russia and China into 'the East'. He needs to get with the times and realize Europe isn't dead - just weird.

PederP fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 3, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

How are u posted:

Speaking as an American, there's nothing I would like more than a unified Europe capable of defending itself and formulating its own policies.

PederP posted:

Agreed. I see the main difference between Europe and the US when it comes to military matters is that Europe really like the 'peace dividend'. The crusading days of Europe are over and so are the days of building colonial empires. Europe is the old geezer who did some bad poo poo, had some bad poo poo done to him, went into rehab, came out ok, got back together with the estranged family, and now he wants to settle down and reap the fruits of peace.

I really hope Russia doesn't bring the old European bastard out of retirement beyond making sure peace is restored and Ukraine is made a full member of the European family. I am very European. I like my peace dividends. I'd like Russia to a be sensible neighbor again, so we don't have to be without those dividends on a long-term basis.

Americans don't want another imperialist Europe either, we just want you to take your armed forces seriously because you can't stop creeps like Putin by hoping they'll be a sensible neighbor again. Pacifism is a fine ideal to strive for, but sometimes you do in fact have to punch the bully in the face.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 3, 2022

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

What's up with ppl and their loud rear end cars. Like yes dude we get it your car is very loud. Seriously

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Fabulous Knight posted:

Some years ago Putin seemingly randomly brought up the fact that Kazakhstan had never had statehood before the fall of the USSR (which is true), and I didn't really think much of it at the time. It's a historical fact (as far as I know, I'm not sure the various steppe statelets really count)

All of the states of the former USSR are products of the Soviet epoch except the balts (which are a product of WW1). Russia also never existed as a national state until 1991. It would be like calling Austria the same state as the hapsburg empire, or modern Germany East Francia

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

TheFluff posted:

Not if they believe that the Russians aren't going to genocide anyone, but that the Ukrainian neo-nazis will, if given the chance (or perhaps that they both could). Which seems to be a reasonably common take from what I've seen.

To be absolutely clear here, me attempting to explain a point of view that I believe exists does not mean I endorse it.

Well, I don't really care if that particular argument is internally consistent. For all I know, QAnon is also internally consistent. Anything can be internally consistent if you're delusional enough about the assumptions that feed the conclusions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

evilweasel posted:

they'll probably be given medals and made nationalist heroes in ways that are obviously rewarding them for war criming while laughingly denying it in obvious and insulting ways that are not intended to be believed

well i was right a lot faster than i thought

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1510679872464887810?s=20&t=gBpM7xbaJbwiL_-6FlnXzg

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

FishBulbia posted:

All of the states of the former USSR are products of the Soviet epoch except the balts (which are a product of WW1). Russia also never existed as a national state until 1991. It would be like calling Austria the same state as the hapsburg empire, or modern Germany East Francia

I think the issue is that the exact/pedantic/plausible-deniability read of the sentence is "This political entity did not have its current borders before soviet times", while the dog-whistle read is "these people are not a real people that do not have the right to be a nation"

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

That doesn't mean those fabs are spun up and doing that, though.

I do not have the clairvoyance to predict exactly how factories are running; the operative argument was "cannot" and I don't think that's true, especially if supply issues will continue to be addressed by planned economics.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Lighter post

So the Ukrainians launched a successful "naval" attack today
https://twitter.com/Arslon_Xudosi/status/1510688528916692997?t=lhKqW1pGh1pn6XZiSs8jnA&s=19
Creative!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Russia may have awoken a sleeping giant.

Ironically Putin may indeed have created a new multipolar world, but not quite the pole he was thinking of.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Russian occupation of Kherson is going swimmingly (click links for pictures):

"Kherson is Ukraine." Residents of the city went to the rally against the occupation with state symbols

quote:

Residents of Kherson staged a peaceful rally against the occupation. They brought Ukrainian flags and painted posters "Kherson is Ukraine".

People came with Ukrainian symbols and posters with the words "Kherson is Ukraine!".

They chanted: "Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!", "Glory to the nation! Death to the enemies!" And "Glory to the soldiers of the Armed Forces!".

They also sang Ukrainian songs together.

In Kakhovka, the Russian military dispersed a peaceful rally

CW: Gunshots into the air, people scattering. No gore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkyYKb1kkDM&t=10s

quote:

According to reports, locals gathered for a rally at 11:00. The Russian military opened fire on civilians, firing and throwing stun grenades.

According to locals, there are detainees and wounded.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Concerned Citizen posted:

This is why he is so tiresome. Retreating to 'this is how states WILL act' when challenged on things, and then gets that wrong anyway, and somehow this is actually central to his point.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

PederP posted:

Not that you're not right in general, but the UK, France, and Turkey def aren't all retired from being bastards abroad.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Grape posted:

Not that you're not right in general, but the UK, France, and Turkey def aren't all retired from being bastards abroad.

The only reason Spain, Portugal, Italy or Germany are not being assholes is because they don't have the military power to back it up

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tiny Timbs posted:

This take makes a pretty strong assumption that surrender would cease the violence against their population.

Belarus, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan are all examples of countries in the Russian sphere and has been since the fall of rhetoric USSR 30 years ago. Do you see a sustained campaign Russian violence against the civilian population in those countries? No then why would you think this would be a strong assumption.

There is no need to make a caricature out of Russia. We known what happens when Russia gets involved in wars. It is ugly and brutal and they show none of the restraint the Americans show in their military adventures. But it is also clear that once a friendly regime is installed, violence against the population extends only to necessitate continued political control.

@Csniper. Is NATO talk back on the menu?

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
During the first couple of days of the invasion Ukraine claimed to have shot down two Ilyushin Il-76 aircraft carrying paratroopers. It's possible this is the wreckage from one of them
:nms:https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1510674966651494409:nms:

Edit: Tweet is down. It was a video of a walkaround of a large crash site of a large plane, with engine visible.

EDIT2: heres a still picture from the video showing the engine. No gore:https://imgur.com/a/W8peZG8

EDIT3: the video is still up on tiktok:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7082114985777761541

catfry fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 3, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I am jittering in anticipation of confirmation

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1510664056633499650?s=20&t=o8e1v3PbdhqfC-J2IHKOUw

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeC posted:

There is no need to make a caricature out of Russia. We known what happens when Russia gets involved in wars. It is ugly and brutal and they show none of the restraint the Americans show in their military adventures. But it is also clear that once a friendly regime is installed, violence against the population extends only to necessitate continued political control.
"Don't worry, lads, if we lose they'll probably only kill officers"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

"Russia only murders anyone who shows a hint of political opposition, no need to make a caricature of them"

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

The only reason Spain, Portugal, Italy or Germany are not being assholes is because they don't have the military power to back it up

Which is by choice because they like peace dividends very much. Europe has neglected military spending on purpose. These countries could've built massive militaries if they'd wanted to. But that is not where European ambitions are at the moment (with a few exceptions as mentioned by others). And that is really where Mearsheimer, China and many others fail to grasp Europe. We don't lack military power because we're unable to attain it. We have the economy, demographics and technology to do so. But Europe chose to focus on something else - and to a large extent to mooch on US military spending in the aftermath of the cold war. And until Russia invaded Ukraine, most of Europe considered it a waste of money to even have a military.

Russia has pressured Europe into building up military power again, and down the line Europe will have built up enough power to deter any aggression and defend itself. Will Europe resist the temptation to use said power for various kinds of assholery? I think it play out mostly for the better. But I'm really annoyed at so-called realist scholars who consider Europe a half-dead invalid without agency and economic power, and thus frame an entity with 1/6th the global GDP as nothing more than an extension of the US.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/arestovych/status/1510690022260977667

Zelensky's aide Arestovich names Russian units that were stationed in Bucha, Irpen and Hostomel. Seeing how many documents Ukrainians capture from bodies, those may be legit and with how leaky Russian military is, we are not far from naming names.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SirTagz posted:

I am not sure that would work out as you imagine. Take a look at the democracy index for example.

I realize that free press and democracy are not the same thing, but they do tend to go hand in hand in most cases. Taking a look at press freedom is even worse though...

Most of the world is not democratic and does not have open media. How do you think the world order will shake out when you try to divide the world in 2 camps - the reds and the greens? And what is the eventual outcome of such a world order?

yeah these maps are never reason for optimism. i always think much more could've been done in africa especially, and around the time of the arab spring to push that region towards democracy and meaningfully integrate them with the west. probably one of the reasons putin dared to make the move that he did was that the western model of government was already on the defensive worldwide

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/arestovych/status/1510690022260977667

Zelensky's aide Arestovich names Russian units that were stationed in Bucha, Irpen and Hostomel. Seeing how many documents Ukrainians capture from bodies, those may be legit and with how leaky Russian military is, we are not far from naming names.

There was this horrifying anecdote from a woman interviewed by Human Rights Watch.

:nms: for war crimes.

quote:

He raped her, then told her to sit on a chair.

She said she was getting very cold in the unheated school and asked if she could get dressed, but the soldier told her she should only put on her top, not her pants or underwear. “While I was putting on my clothes, the soldier told me that he was Russian, that his name was [name withheld] and that he was 20. He said that I reminded him of a girl he went to school with.”

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/04/03/ukraine-apparent-war-crimes-russia-controlled-areas

I hope that's enough information to identify him if he gets captured.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

catfry posted:

During the first couple of days of the invasion Ukraine claimed to have shot down two Ilyushin Il-76 aircraft carrying paratroopers. It's possible this is the wreckage from one of them
:nms:https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1510674966651494409:nms:

Edit: Tweet is down. It was a video of a walkaround of a large crash site of a large plane, with engine visible.

Managed to see the video before the tweet got deleted. No way I can really ID it of course but it looked like a pretty big engine in a pod, so yeah possibly a transport. But it was a weird, short video that didn't show much context so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PederP posted:

Russia has pressured Europe into building up military power again, and down the line Europe will have built up enough power to deter any aggression and defend itself. Will Europe resist the temptation to use said power for various kinds of assholery? I think it play out mostly for the better. But I'm really annoyed at so-called realist scholars who consider Europe a half-dead invalid without agency and economic power, and thus frame an entity with 1/6th the global GDP as nothing more than an extension of the US.
The flaw in all of these guys is that they may become masters of a view of reality that is real and true until it suddenly isn't; and then they have to update all of their models. Or, you know, don't.