Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Archonex posted:

Word is that they're trying to claim it's a false flag or something like that.

yeah, false flag, crisis actors, if it isn't fake then ukraine shot their own people to discredit russia, the old women and children were nazis so why are you even upset, you are a secret nazi lover, etc

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1510648066403143683

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The general public in basically all EU countries was pro-ukrainian. The policymakers got rushed along by the currents of popular sentiment further than they thought, but it's not like it's an unpopular stance to be anti-russian.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

BigglesSWE posted:

I think of Chernobyl, Holodomor, Babi Yar and now all this and I go “man, Ukraine really got the bad coin flip of history”.

Yeah...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kyiv

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The general public in basically all EU countries was pro-ukrainian. The policymakers got rushed along by the currents of popular sentiment further than they thought, but it's not like it's an unpopular stance to be anti-russian.

The main differentiator was being up to send military aid, everybody was happy to send crates of food and medicine but, when asked for military kit, a lot of governments got cold feet. Most european governments started mulling equipment after the javelins started to flow in theatre, not a second before.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

I think of Chernobyl, Holodomor, Babi Yar and now all this and I go “man, Ukraine really got the bad coin flip of history”.

Sometimes I just have to take it all in. We’re witnessing the next tragic chapter in a people’s history. It’s horrifying.

There are places that have probably had it worse than Eastern Europe (Africa, etc), but it really does seem to be the destiny of that part of the continent to just never ever catch a loving break.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
This shitfit thrown by the pro-putin camp in the wake of Bucha stinks of the same poo poo by american chuds at the height of the BLM protests when they were confronted with videos of police murdering George Floyd. Like a lovely 14 year old getting called out for their inexcusable behavior and alternating between doubling down, making up bullshit reasons, denial, and just generally going into an incoherent rage.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
A good point by a journalist in Bucha.

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1510695424423772165?s=19

It's an awful point, but it makes sense. Those bodies have to have been there for a while.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

Parts of it. But the coast part on the west is apparently unoccupied. The rest in unclear.

The Russians still haven't completely occupied Mariupol? Ukrainians putting up one hell of a fight there.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

The Russians still haven't completely occupied Mariupol? Ukrainians putting up one hell of a fight there.

Azov battalion knows they can't surrender nor retreat so they are fighting to the last men if they still fight, whoever fought with them will likely be called a nazi and shot by the russians so the same rules apply.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

William Bear posted:

A good point by a journalist in Bucha.

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1510695424423772165?s=19

It's an awful point, but it makes sense. Those bodies have to have been there for a while.

It doesn't matter. The people that lie is for can't smell it through their screen and nobody else believed it to begin with.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Azov battalion knows they can't surrender nor retreat so they are fighting to the last men if they still fight, whoever fought with them will likely be called a nazi and shot by the russians so the same rules apply.

I'm pretty sure it's not just Azov battalion who understand there's nothing but a bullet for them if they surrender.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

Oh for sure, man.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alchenar posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not just Azov battalion who understand there's nothing but a bullet for them if they surrender.
Yeah it seems a reasonable guess that anyone in a Ukraine unit that fought Russians directly is probably hosed if Russia takes over. But you see, NATO--

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

mobby_6kl posted:

None of those countries are democratic and the populations are facing constant repressions if they don't fall in line. How are they a good example?

Wait, what? Uncovering mass graves is now a provocation? How is this even supposed to make sense?

Any and every Russian war crime is a Ukrainian false flag. Ukraine must be held to account for its massacre of innocents!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
More open calls for cultural genocide from Russian state media:
https://mobile.twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1510713209078038531?cxt=HHwWhoCyiZvqkPcpAAAA

fnox
May 19, 2013

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yeah, false flag, crisis actors, if it isn't fake then ukraine shot their own people to discredit russia, the old women and children were nazis so why are you even upset, you are a secret nazi lover, etc

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1510648066403143683

This really will end with a genocide, won't it?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/NoizyMinor/status/1510705221516861440

Apparently Russian soldiers are so reliant on foraging they ate pet parrots at occupied territories

Some random person on twitter is posting a screenshot of a random person whose post says it was posted 1 year (год) before the screenshot was taken.

I'm sorry to ask but how is this relevant?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

jmnmu posted:

I'm sorry I just don't see the sense in the argument. Even a utilitarian perspective of "less people will die if you just submit to the dictator" is a massive assumption. When there's intelligence coming in suggesting that Putin is interested in disappearing undesirables and Putin is willing to publicly state that Ukraine shouldn't exist. People making this argument don't seem to respect Ukraine's right to choose the future that they want. It's really easy for these (mostly affluent Americans) to say Ukraine should just submit to Putin when it basically guarantees a grim future for the majority of Ukrainian people whichever way things go.

To a degree, I get it: I saw a post that had a decent metaphor, which was something to the effect of "if the Mongols show up at your city and say 'submit and be spared or fight and be completely destroyed', you would probably throw the guy saying 'let's fight to the death' out a window." Which, sure, I can buy that. But, of course, the Mongols were an overwhelming power that could not realistically be stopped by most cities. If Russia fully mobilized World War 2-style and massed 6 million troops outside of Ukraine against a couple hundred thousand defenders, it would probably be worth saying "maybe this one isn't going to work out for us." But that's not what happened, and Russia has pretty clearly been proven to be eminently stop-able. There is the theory that, if Russia truly saw the war as an existential threat, they would go to any lengths to win it - but now they are withdrawing from most fronts and giving up on regime change, so that would certainly imply that they have accepted that they will have a hostile Ukraine on their border no matter what happens.

Ukraine insisted they could stop Russia, and they proved most analysts predicting doom wrong (including me). But I also think the analysis missed the fact that even if the Russians achieved victory, it wasn't really ever likely to actually result in anything but a large and long insurgency. That is no better of an outcome for Ukraine.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Yup, there it is. Turning back the clock over a hundred years and even further back to Tsarist times, when no such thing as "Ukraine" existed, only a "tri-partite" Russian nation consisting of Great, Little and White Russians. Tens of millions of Ukrainians are simply confused about their actual national identity. This is what it means to correct Lenin's colossal, historical mistake, as Putin sees it. Out of the eradication of this historical error, Greater Russia will rise and finally take head-on the Globalist agenda.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fnox posted:

End with a genocide? The genocide is happening.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

SourKraut posted:

A lot of the specialized equipment needed to maintain fab logistics, are produced by only a companies that, as far as I know, have no presence in Russia.

So while Russia may have developed the capability to do so, it's just as likely, if not moreso, that with the sanctions that have previously, and currently, been levied against them, that Russia is not able to maintain the fab equipment.

So while we cannot currently confirm, I would heavily suspect that they may not be able to run their fabs or, if they are, it's going to be continuously reducing production via attrition of equipment more than likely.

They can’t realistically make anything performant using Mikron (not to be confused with micron) 65nm process and it’s doubtful they can ramp up wafer starts to accommodate their market needs. 65nm was leading edge during intel core 2 duo circa 2008. Even trying to Build domestic fab capacity using 15 year old nodes like 65nm takes billions and years to do without the semiconductor embargo. It will be illegal imports for all their needs until the chip embargo is over.

Being embargo’d for semiconductors is extremely bad.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

HolHorsejob posted:

This shitfit thrown by the pro-putin camp in the wake of Bucha stinks of the same poo poo by american chuds at the height of the BLM protests when they were confronted with videos of police murdering George Floyd. Like a lovely 14 year old getting called out for their inexcusable behavior and alternating between doubling down, making up bullshit reasons, denial, and just generally going into an incoherent rage.

The "false flag" excuse is the go-to for anyone who's worldview has been confronted by uncomfortable facts. It lets you simply reverse who's the good guy and who's the bad guy in any given situation. And then you can double down because the bad guys are so bad they killed those people just to make us look bad! And then once you've accepted one "false flag" conspiracy theory the next is easier because you know they've already done this before. Really eases the cognitive dissonance, and all you had to give up was being moored to reality.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's barely worth Russia wasting their breath denying this stuff. We know they're going to lie about it and anyone willing to believe their denials would make up their own conspiracy regardless.

The biggest impact this is going to have for Russia is the sheer amount of cover it will give countries to increase sanctions. The more of this people see, the more pain they're willing to put up with to make Russia suffer. Any hope that the sanctions would end when Russia withdraws is gone, because when they eventually leave they will leave this in their wake.

These abuses were clearly planned by the Russians in advance and it's quite incredible how badly they miscalculated it. I don't really understand the purpose of these sorts of atrocities in their plan, but clearly they had no idea they were going to have to abandon this territory and reveal it to the world.

I wonder if there will be a point where Russia stops operating on their fantasy idea of the invasion and actually starts reacting to reality or whether this is all they're capable of.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't even sarcastically point out the hypocrisy anymore, I'm just so tired of Russia's poo poo

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

fnox posted:

You don't invade a place expecting zero opposition with an army of riot police and state security in tow, acknowledged lists of people for them to disappear, brand new regs for creating mass graves, and mobile crematoriums unless you expect to be doing some mass murder.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

fnox posted:

Already happening, the size of the genocide will depend on who wins.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Concerned Citizen posted:

To a degree, I get it: I saw a post that had a decent metaphor, which was something to the effect of "if the Mongols show up at your city and say 'submit and be spared or fight and be completely destroyed', you would probably throw the guy saying 'let's fight to the death' out a window." Which, sure, I can buy that. But, of course, the Mongols were an overwhelming power that could not realistically be stopped by most cities. If Russia fully mobilized World War 2-style and massed 6 million troops outside of Ukraine against a couple hundred thousand defenders, it would probably be worth saying "maybe this one isn't going to work out for us." But that's not what happened, and Russia has pretty clearly been proven to be eminently stop-able. There is the theory that, if Russia truly saw the war as an existential threat, they would go to any lengths to win it - but now they are withdrawing from most fronts and giving up on regime change, so that would certainly imply that they have accepted that they will have a hostile Ukraine on their border no matter what happens.

Ukraine insisted they could stop Russia, and they proved most analysts predicting doom wrong (including me). But I also think the analysis missed the fact that even if the Russians achieved victory, it wasn't really ever likely to actually result in anything but a large and long insurgency. That is no better of an outcome for Ukraine.
Well sure. But also you could hardly blame anyone for choosing to resist the Mongols, could you?

Also the more I look into it, the less clear it becomes why anyone expected Ukraine to fold quickly in the first place. Short of instant Crimea-like collapse, this kind of situation would've made much more sense. Russia doesn't actually have a numeric superiority, or even much of a technologial one outside of air power, and certainy no motivation. I wonde if this was part of the pysops to make russia over-confident, but then of course this could've encouraged them to start the war which could've been avoided if they understood what they'd be getting into.

Anyone knows who the gently caress is that "political strategist"? The fact that anyone feels like it's ok to publish this is already speaking volumes of course,

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Some random person on twitter is posting a screenshot of a random person whose post says it was posted 1 year (год) before the screenshot was taken.

I'm sorry to ask but how is this relevant?

Год is short for година i.e. "hour" in Ukrainian

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

@Csniper. Is NATO talk back on the menu?

No, I’m just not reading the thread actively today. The last couple of pages have been boring trash with repetitive arguments, if I’m being candid. Literally no one opens this thread to learn more about Mearsheimer.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

fnox posted:

genocides generally don't end things

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sorry, meant this for another thread.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 3, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Relevant Tangent posted:

genocides generally don't end things

They sure end people, their culture and their livelihoods.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Someone please explain this to me like I’m 5.

Why is sending Ukraine all kinds of lethal high tech weapons like the Javelin not a provocation or escalation but giving them stuff like Strykers, Bradleys, S400s and Mig-29s is a bridge too far and WW3?

YouTube is full of ex green berets and us military personnel basically saying that there’s foreign fighters from NATO countries who used to be officers and enlisted personnel in nato armies actively inflicting casualties on Russian troops as we speak with nato made weapons. The argument is WW3 is already here and we just don’t want to call it that yet.

So what does giving Ukraine mechanized vehicles do that giving them javelins, stingers and other missiles doesn’t?

Just loving do it.

The Russians are committing mass war crimes and rapes here. This poo poo is even worse than what Serbia did to the Bosnians and Kosovars and yet NATO got involved and bombed Serbia to poo poo.

Just send the Ukrainians the loving vehicles already or shut the gently caress up about it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BigglesSWE posted:

Sometimes I just have to take it all in. We’re witnessing the next tragic chapter in a people’s history. It’s horrifying.

Ukraine is also one of the most fertile soils in the world and I for one sure would like to visit Ukraine once the fighting is over, see Odesa, Kyiv and the Dnipro etc. Naturally this war is a totally unnecessary hardship on the people, but they are also blessed in many ways, which I guess is the reason why various armies have had an interest in taking it over.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kraftwerk posted:

Why is sending Ukraine all kinds of lethal high tech weapons like the Javelin not a provocation or escalation but giving them stuff like Strykers, Bradleys, S400s and Mig-29s is a bridge too far and WW3?

YouTube is full of ex green berets and us military personnel basically saying that there’s foreign fighters from NATO countries who used to be officers and enlisted personnel in nato armies actively inflicting casualties on Russian troops as we speak with nato made weapons. The argument is WW3 is already here and we just don’t want to call it that yet.

So what does giving Ukraine mechanized vehicles do that giving them javelins, stingers and other missiles doesn’t?

Just loving do it.

The Russians are committing mass war crimes and rapes here. This poo poo is even worse than what Serbia did to the Bosnians and Kosovars and yet NATO got involved and bombed Serbia to poo poo.

Just send the Ukrainians the loving vehicles already or shut the gently caress up about it.

Pretty sure no one has seriously discussed sending US armored vehicles in. The planes apparently need a teardown and rebuild to remove all the Nato specific hardware and software before they can be transfered over and the transferring over is a headache for reasons gone over many many times in thread. US stockpiles of soviet equipment, including tanks is in the process of being sent over irrc.

Weapons are incredibly easy to ship, train on, and keep logistical trains reasonable in comparison to sending over vehicles.

Foreign fighters in Ukraine undergo a fairly selective intake process and then are directly under Ukrainian military command, as far as we know.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 3, 2022

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Chalks posted:

It's barely worth Russia wasting their breath denying this stuff. We know they're going to lie about it and anyone willing to believe their denials would make up their own conspiracy regardless.
Well, you say that, but there's plenty of 'free-thinkers' on this forum who are right convinced that the Russians are telling the truth and Ukranian Neo-Nazis massacred a village because ???

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

PederP posted:

Which is by choice because they like peace dividends very much. Europe has neglected military spending on purpose. These countries could've built massive militaries if they'd wanted to. But that is not where European ambitions are at the moment (with a few exceptions as mentioned by others). And that is really where Mearsheimer, China and many others fail to grasp Europe. We don't lack military power because we're unable to attain it. We have the economy, demographics and technology to do so. But Europe chose to focus on something else - and to a large extent to mooch on US military spending in the aftermath of the cold war. And until Russia invaded Ukraine, most of Europe considered it a waste of money to even have a military.

Russia has pressured Europe into building up military power again, and down the line Europe will have built up enough power to deter any aggression and defend itself. Will Europe resist the temptation to use said power for various kinds of assholery? I think it play out mostly for the better. But I'm really annoyed at so-called realist scholars who consider Europe a half-dead invalid without agency and economic power, and thus frame an entity with 1/6th the global GDP as nothing more than an extension of the US.

European great powers gently caress with the smaller powers within Europe (eg Greece, Spain) and are not willingly relinquishing their right to gently caress over the states within their spheres of influence every time they get uppity (eg, French West Africa, Southern Africa such as Zambia and Rwanda, Belgium still is a swinging dick in the Congo on the QT). The only place they don't seem to have a huge influence but I could be wrong is Ethiopia with its 100k+ people casualty conflict which is to say that the US and the old great power paradigm is not the blame for all the worlds ills.

And to your chat about US and Europe, this conflict absolutely puts Europe backwards relative to the US and UK. The EU will be on the hook to put up a half arsed marshal plan/integrating a poorer version of Hungary into the EU while having its cheap energy cut off and the Russian buying market transition to China. We already seen Russia pull its pet attack dogs out of Mali so will see if Europe can retain its spheres of influence in Africa now that Africa voted with China and Russia.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kraftwerk posted:

Just loving do it.

Rifles, machine guns and rocket launchers is something you provide expecting that it's up to the end user to manage, beyond the consumables it's a sealed deal.

Tanks and planes on the other hand require a poo poo load of training to both tankers/pilots and service crews. Also every hour of usage is wear that will require a steady flow of spares to compensate. It's expensive and has stronger implications.

Given the love for Russia to ship kit along with "advisers" to manage and field them, i think nato doesn't want to trigger self-projection on the Russian side.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

Concerned Citizen posted:

The Mongol analogy misses the mark on several points, it is not an accurate picture of the situation. "Submit and be spared" was never a realistic option and Ukraine knew this. "Submit and accept a brutal dictatorship that will result in death and suffering" or "fight a costly war" were the options they had on the table. The morale of the Ukrainian people is quite high and it seems the population more or less agrees that resisting Putin has been necessary. We have a good picture of what Putin had planned for Ukraine and allowing him to take over was going to result in severe suffering and an unacceptable threat to the existence of Ukrainian culture and well being of the people. The Mongol analogy is also off the mark in it overexaggerates the differences in power between the two countries. Russia had their hands full with Chechnya, a place with less than 5% of the entire population of Ukraine. My first reaction to this conflict was that 200 000 Russian soldiers was an unrealistic sized army to take over a country the size of Ukraine, especially against a highly motivated and similar sized peer army. A Ukrainian defeat was never certain and when you factor in Western aid the Russian army wasn't some unstoppable force, in fact they have almost certainly taken the biggest death toll between the two armies so far, perhaps by a considerable degree. I get why you bring up this analogy but it falls apart pretty fast.

jmnmu fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kraftwerk posted:

Broadly speaking I believe what the West has given Ukraine is comparable to levels of material support that both the West and the USSR/Russia have provided with other belligerents; the "proxy war" that has been brought up for a long time, which usually involved providing modern equipment/tactical training to a third party. In principle it is no different than if Ukraine was purchasing arms from Crazy Al's Discount Falafel and Guided Missile Bazaar in the UAE.

Providing new vehicles of various kinds is I think a marginal gray zone, and Russia certainly has possible downsides from escalation too, so maybe you could get away with it, but it would be pushing things. And pushing things doesn't mean one MiG-29 = destruction of modern civilization.

Having NATO enforce a no-fly zone would mean that NATO personnel of some kind would perhaps directly shoot down Russian personnel and that would be an escalation and mean that NATO people are directly and, so to speak, "Officially" shooting at them -- as opposed to random '''volunteers''' going to Ukraine, who are at least deniable. "Oh, that guy was crazy, he said he loved Zelensky's show so much, we weren't able to talk him down. What can you do."

It's weird and irrational because it's like court cases and nobody wants to push it further than is "necessary." The problem is of course that what is geostrategically "necessary" (make it so Ukraine does not get conquered, mostly) is different from the moral plane. The flip side of that is that providing Ukraine with unlimited modern equipment for free could have long-term consequences - would not have guaranteed their victory - and also would have the possibility of directly provoking Russia to launch the nukes.

This is an explanation of the calculus as I understand it, not an endorsement of it.