Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got the UHD of The Fast and the Furious. I could hear the disc rattling in the case when it arrived and the disc ended up being hosed up when I tried to play it.

I did discover that the Xbox Series X is a more robust player than the PS5 from the experience. The PS5 was just get stuck but the Xbox was able to play everything, just with a lot of audio popping when it hit the bad spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I still have an Xbox One X and I get an error code most of the time when I try to watch a 4K movie so

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
In some of the fb groups I’m in I’ve being seeing a former Rue Morgue writer/now director selling off all of his Black Emmanuelle films, leading me to believe that the box set from Severin is coming sooner than later. I don’t know if it’s a “need” for me but if you’re interested it’s probably time to start saving your pennies!

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
My order from Kino arrived today. The discs are rolling around in the cases for Half Baked and Hard Target. And they sent me 2 copies of Hannibal but my order confirmation email shows I did only order one.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Akira BD to UHD. Worth it?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Caveats

Really depends on how you feel about the trade off of DNR to the texture of animation cells and the drawings. I don’t mind it and think it looks quite good. I still have my blu-ray if I want the first iteration on its look but think the UHD looks great. Check out the screen caps to compare and then look at Space Cobra as well which I think the DNR is a benefit to the trippy and lucid aesthetic the movie is going for. It really just depends on what you deem acceptable and I there is some furor over it not including a specific audio track that I don’t recall which it was but it was a fan favorite.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
How long does it take for packages from Eureka to get delivered to the US?

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

PinkoBastard posted:

In some of the fb groups I’m in I’ve being seeing a former Rue Morgue writer/now director selling off all of his Black Emmanuelle films, leading me to believe that the box set from Severin is coming sooner than later. I don’t know if it’s a “need” for me but if you’re interested it’s probably time to start saving your pennies!

I think you might be right. Dawn of the Discs said something to that effect and they are putting out the Full Moon released ones too.

On the film snob side, is there any news of Werckmiester Harmonies being released anytime soon? I'd love a 4k (or even blu) of that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Let’s loving go

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1510974816588861441?s=20&t=OO4yuoXWABB_zJoBh3DNmA

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hell yea, I own a dusty old Dog Soldiers DVD that I'll be very happy to upgrade.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
So I just saw the new S. S. Rajamouli movie RRR last night and was blown away.

Indian cinema is a total blind spot for me so this was an awesome introduction.

But there’s no way that’s getting a region 1 4K or Blu-ray release is it? I’d love to buy it but just looking around I don’t see any of his other movies with physical releases.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LET'S loving GOOOOOOO https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3709653/tobe-hoopers-the-funhouse-getting-a-scream-factory-4k-ultra-hd-upgrade/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
:vince:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

I’m excited about this, but aren’t there significant problems with DOG SOLDIERS’ source elements? There was a review over on blu-ray.com that turned into a deep dive on the subject and it sounds like a big mess.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hasturtium posted:

I’m excited about this, but aren’t there significant problems with DOG SOLDIERS’ source elements? There was a review over on blu-ray.com that turned into a deep dive on the subject and it sounds like a big mess.

It should be interesting because from reading that review it seems that the biggest issue with that blu ray is the color grading was too bright and looks kinda washed out. But UHD tends to be a darker format in general, so I wonder if that will be the case here and if some of the issues of the previous blu ray will be improved on.

It's certainly a down and dirty film though, I wouldn't expect a UHD change that.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1511002193872179200

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I will definitely grab that The Funhouse 4k.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Oh hell yeah

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Funhouse was a fun curio, but I'll probably stick with the blu-ray I got on this one. Dog Soldiers and Fire in the Sky though, definitely grabbing both those two.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I probably wouldn't upgrade to the 4k of Funhouse, but every time I've thought to buy it, it's been more expensive or unavailable, so it worked out for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YES

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I saw that in the theaters as a 9 year old. I think, in retrospect, I had pretty lovely parents?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I get the feeling that Fire in the Sky doesn't really hold up. Like, can you think of a single other scene in that movie that isn't the abduction sequence? I look at that still and I can relive that whole loving sequence in my head, from the shrink-wrapped-in-latex part to when they slice it open over his mouth and eyeball, and stick that giant phallic thing down his throat and squirt fluid into his eye... but I can't remember a single part from the rest of the movie. Now, I assume it's well-acted and well-directed, great cinematography, and yet none of it sticks out in my mind.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

King Vidiot posted:

Now, I assume it's well-acted and well-directed, great cinematography, and yet none of it sticks out in my mind.

oh my, no

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I rewatched Fire in The Sky a couple years ago and it’s completely forgettable and dull outside of the actual abduction scene.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Jack Bandit posted:

So I just saw the new S. S. Rajamouli movie RRR last night and was blown away.

Indian cinema is a total blind spot for me so this was an awesome introduction.

But there’s no way that’s getting a region 1 4K or Blu-ray release is it? I’d love to buy it but just looking around I don’t see any of his other movies with physical releases.

UHD discs aren't region encoded.

loving FINALLY.

This has been one of the titles I've most wanted to see on blu-ray for years.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yup, Fire In The Sky is two* amazing alien scenes that desperately deserve to be in a better movie.

* well, the abduction scene itself is maybe not “amazing” but still really creepy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sometimes all it takes is one scene

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My take is that it's a slow burn film with an insane finale which is what is best about slow burn films. And yes the finale alone is worth the purchase for me. Among several things it's one of a very few movies I can think of where the inside of the space ship looks truly alien and really sells the idea that this is a place completely inhospitable to human life.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CPL593H posted:

Among several things it's one of a very few movies I can think of where the inside of the space ship looks truly alien and really sells the idea that this is a place completely inhospitable to human life.

I thought the most striking part is that “greys” are stereotypically antiseptic and sterile, with spotless technology and carefully laid out plans that you may not understand but clearly have a lot of thought behind them. Meanwhile, these aliens come across as complete slobs, with a filthy weird rotting bioship full of random discarded junk. They treat the humans incredibly roughly because they just don’t care. Oh no, one got out, let’s drag him to the exam room and probe the poo poo out of him so we can dump him and GTFO of this backwater. Come on, hurry up, I want to get back in time for dinner.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david_a posted:

I thought the most striking part is that “greys” are stereotypically antiseptic and sterile, with spotless technology and carefully laid out plans that you may not understand but clearly have a lot of thought behind them. Meanwhile, these aliens come across as complete slobs, with a filthy weird rotting bioship full of random discarded junk. They treat the humans incredibly roughly because they just don’t care. Oh no, one got out, let’s drag him to the exam room and probe the poo poo out of him so we can dump him and GTFO of this backwater. Come on, hurry up, I want to get back in time for dinner.

Yeah that's when I'm talking about. The place is a dank ugly hellhole where nothing looks remotely comfortable to live in and their instruments look practically like they were designed by a medieval HR Geiger. They barely even have lights in there. The aliens themselves have uncanny valley face which is what makes them so loving unnerving.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s kind of an exploitation film in how it all builds to an amazing horror scene. Is it a great movie? No. Did it cast an indelible shadow across my entire adolescence by making me terrified of the prospect of being raped by aliens? Yes. For that, it has great cultural significance. It’s a key moment in the development of grey aliens as folklore creatures, along with Communion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I rewatched Fire in The Sky a couple years ago and it’s completely forgettable and dull outside of the actual abduction scene.

This is why I think it’s incredible. It’s low key and the abduction scene catches you off guard.

I just rewatched it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
But I mean, that's my point. That scene is burned into my brain, it's a single scene, and the rest of the movie's just boring. I don't really feel the need to ever watch it again, let alone own it so :shrug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok more for me lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I feel like everyone who was a kid when that came out has the "This scared the ever loving poo poo out of me." story about that movie. The ending of that movie is one of best horror sequences I've seen in any film.

CelticPredator posted:

Ok more for me lol

I'd really given up hope that this would ever make it to blu-ray. I'm glad I didn't buy that mediocre DVD.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I saw it in the theaters and remember people around me audibly gasping. The only other times I can think of that happening was at a midnight screening of Cannibal Holocaust and during the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I love that Shout Factory puts out these niche titles. They may not be for me, but I know some people are thrilled.

https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/1511337518595194894?s=20&t=ABlerIxPuf_LNrh4C-QxeA

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yeah I can’t wait for the variant slip cover. I wonder if it’ll have good special features about Elmo poopin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
What is Elmo doing for two hours in the bathroom?