Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Comstar posted:

Wargaming.net is leaving Russia and Belarus. They are closing their site in Minsk.

No, the announcement does not mention WHY they are doing this. :It's a Mystery: Must be bad space weather or something.

They have a load of employees in Russia they have a duty of care to, it would not be fair to poo poo on them by posting something that would get them all a bit of special attention from the security services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/dmytrogurinmp/status/1510681928088829953

The usual cw apply, description of russian atrocities.

The only moral thing is to wish as many dead russian soldiers as possible and total shunning of russia from all international arenas until their crimes have been prosecuted.

Personally I am in favor of military intervention to help Ukraine, even if it means ww3

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senjuro posted:

It's what makes tankies so particularly infuriating. They're simultaneously smart enough to see through western propaganda, something many people take at face value, and too dumb or stubborn to understand not every anti-western force is good and no atrocity is too great for them to reconsider their stance.

They read a People's History of the United States when they were 19 and never extended their critical thinking any further than that

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Senjuro posted:

It's what makes tankies so particularly infuriating. They're simultaneously smart enough to see through western propaganda, something many people take at face value, and too dumb or stubborn to understand not every anti-western force is good and no atrocity is too great for them to reconsider their stance.

this but someone has to be the Good guy then, its how humans are. they fall into the same traps the chuds do but tweaked a bit. they want big strong daddy but red instead of orange(well thats changing).

freebooter posted:

They read a People's History of the United States when they were 19 and never extended their critical thinking any further than that

obviously not Zinn but has Chomsky said anything lately? he seems to be ok with various genocides or at least excusing them when they are happening.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1510939537215737857

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Are they aware that tattoos aren't manatory for Nazis?

E: thats a stupid question

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 4, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

My own 20yo-ish reading of A People's History was (while valuable) tempered by having recently visited the remembrance museum at Tuol Sleng and being very put off by the fact that when writing about the Mayaguez incident Zinn only referred to the Khmer Rouge as a "revolutionary regime" while painting the Americans as the only villains in the piece. Deeply disingenuous poo poo.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
It seems that a debate is opening up on whether current events ought to be considered a genocide.

https://twitter.com/eugene_finkel/status/1510922348899315716

https://twitter.com/eugene_finkel/status/1510951119991812098

I guess the RiA oped was more influential than intended.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What was the point of digging trenches in the red forest? I haven't read about trenching in any other area.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

freebooter posted:

I don’t know why they would get to that position my reading Howard Zinn, who was a loving bonafide war hero, who volunteered to fight exactly the kind of people who run the Russian Federation during the Second World War.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

What was the point of digging trenches in the red forest? I haven't read about trenching in any other area.

Lots of trenches in the Donbas.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Soldiers dig trenches everywhere, routinely. It's basic defense. There's trenches and embankments built around all their stuff.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Is that story about radiation poisoning based on anything besides seeing casevacs driving through the zone toward belarus

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Heran Bago posted:

There was trench digging elsewhere, originally looked like the Russian's plan to try to defend and hold their gains around Kyiv.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

If the big European nations like Germany vote to ban oil/gas from Russia, but a country like Hungary opposes, can Ukraine just tell Hungary to gently caress off and cut the pipeline, go source it some other way?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Are they really smart enough to see through western propaganda, or are they just disaffected from society and reflexively contrarian? Is a bitter, MAGA 20 year old Proud Boy who calls CNN fake news and guzzles down anti-vax Facebook articles pushed by Russia smart enough to see through western propaganda? Perhaps you're conflating process and results.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Feliday Melody posted:

Close enough

Poor worn out US tanks. Not as well maintained as the mighty Russian armour. :v:

That's a good one too. Incredible how they don't get that Ukraine is a completely different situation than Libya and actually wants to be in the EU and get those sweet regional development funds.

I think I also saw a cartoon with a US M1 tank painted in LGBT colors vs a russian tank with a huge main gun just before the war too lol.

Deteriorata posted:

Soldiers dig trenches everywhere, routinely. It's basic defense. There's trenches and embankments built around all their stuff.
They do but they almost certainly didn't actually dig ditches there, it was probably an exaggeration of just being idiots

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pleasant Friend posted:

If the big European nations like Germany vote to ban oil/gas from Russia, but a country like Hungary opposes, can Ukraine just tell Hungary to gently caress off and cut the pipeline, go source it some other way?

does it have to be unanimous?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Eh...you know, that's not appropriate for the thread, so I'm editing it out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Both genocide scholars and genocide deniers are united by a shared belief that the word "genocide" is a magic shibboleth that can induce people en masse to give a poo poo about horrifying atrocities. Personally I believe the word no longer has the kind of valence it had in the immediately post-WW2 era, partially due to countries like Israel turning the genocide dial until it broke off, and partially due to the internet age i.e. the abandonment of anything that we could confidently point to as consensus reality.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Deteriorata posted:

Poorly disciplined soldiers run, well disciplined soldiers dig. Armies have done a century of work learning to do it fancier, but the most basic defense is a hole and a pile of dirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFq---9EopM

mobby_6kl posted:

They do but they almost certainly didn't actually dig ditches there, it was probably an exaggeration of just being idiots

They likely actually dug holes, just because armies dig a lot of holes for basically everything.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 4, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FishBulbia posted:

Is that story about radiation poisoning based on anything besides seeing casevacs driving through the zone toward belarus

It's based on ambulances being photographed pulling up to a radiation treatment facility in Gomel. There aren't a lot of feasible explanations for why they were there.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Considering what I read about Poland and Lithuania abandoning Russia gas, it sounds like Germany/France does not need permission from Hungary to cut their own purchases, thank goodness. However it sounds very unlikely Hungary would ever choose to stop - but all their gas runs through Ukraine.

Ukraine hasn't turned off the gas so far because Western Europe is essential to their victory, but without risking pissing off Germany any longer, I kinda hope Ukraine wouldn't feel the need to keep supplying a country like Hungary with a head of state so nakedly against them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Edit: ^^ Do not conflate purchasing decisions of individual companies or countries with EU-dictated embargo.

FishBulbia posted:

No. The actual statement was worded in a way where the trench statement could’ve easily meant “why did you need radiation evac from Chernobyl, you dumbfucks were digging trenches there or something?”

Pleasant Friend posted:

No, for many reasons.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Depends on the exact article they’re put under, but it in this case it most likely is a foreign policy decision, in which case it must be anonymous.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Pleasant Friend posted:

Russia spent much of the last decade isolating Ukraine and creating alternative supply lines for their fossil fuels to European nations. Hungary switched to Russian pipelines via Austria and Serbia last year.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/hungary-receives-gas-shipments-ukraine-pipeline-operator-says-2021-10-04/

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Zelensky visited Bucha and just held a press conference from the town (surrounded by Very Large Men). Haven't found a translation yet.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, for many reasons.

Would you mind explaining some of the reasons why?

Kaal posted:

Russia spent much of the last decade isolating Ukraine and creating alternative supply lines for their fossil fuels to European nations. Hungary switched to Russian pipelines via Austria and Serbia last year.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/hungary-receives-gas-shipments-ukraine-pipeline-operator-says-2021-10-04/

I am not sure I understand the point of the article you linked, which seems to be about how Hungary IS getting gas from Ukraine. While its great for Hungary they have other options, wouldn't that also support the rational that Ukraine shouldn't facilitate gas from Russia to Hungary through their borders?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

That's a good one too. Incredible how they don't get that Ukraine is a completely different situation than Libya and actually wants to be in the EU and get those sweet regional development funds.

what gets me in that picture is how all those smaller countries are depicted as inanimate objects, just resources to be consumed and only the big powers are represented as characters with their own agency
the picture says more about russia still being stuck in the imperialism era than anything else

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Pleasant Friend posted:

I am not sure I understand the point of the article you linked, which seems to be about how Hungary IS getting gas from Ukraine. While its great for Hungary they have other options, wouldn't that also support the rational that Ukraine shouldn't facilitate gas from Russia to Hungary through their borders?

So what that article is talking about is that Gazprom stopped supplying gas to Hungary via Ukraine. As it states, any Ukraine-Hungary transfers are from residual stored supply, not from Gazprom. Hungary is now supplied via Austria and Serbia. Hungary hasn't been supplied via Ukraine since October 2021.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Pleasant Friend posted:

Doesn't look like Germany is going to do that anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Robert Habeck is the German Federal Minister of Economics
https://twitter.com/KSTA/status/1510958477727916035?s=20&t=xC7KgfL3sQZLyszE9xp-9Q
Tweet translation:

quote:

Even after the atrocities and alleged war crimes in #Bucha , Robert #Habeck and Lars #Klingbeil maintain their position that an immediate stop to the supply of gas and oil from Russia is not feasible.

Article link: https://www.ksta.de/wirtschaft/trot..._source=Twitter

Machine translation - relevant paragraphs

quote:

Klingbeil said on Sunday evening on the ARD program "Anne Will" that, despite the terrible pictures of Butscha, he considered "an immediate gas embargo to be the wrong way for many reasons". The Bavarian Prime Minister, CSU boss Markus Söder, shared this position and pointed out that Russia was already looking for other customers, such as India. "We're just turning the gas tap a little further every day," said Klingbeil. To make a complete stop from one day to the next, "we have to talk about the consequences that this would have for us in Germany, despite all the brutality of these pictures and all the emotionality that I also have". It's not just about the consequences for industry, but also about social cohesion.

There's more about how they're working on 'decoupling' from Russian coal by the end of summer/gas by the end of the year but the above is the bottom line.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

Zelensky visited Bucha and just held a press conference from the town (surrounded by Very Large Men). Haven't found a translation yet.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1510974076105498630

Pleasant Friend posted:

Would you mind explaining some of the reasons why?

To start with, I don’t know if Hungary receives all of its gas via Ukraine, and if it’s possible to isolate Hungarian gas flow so that no other destinations suffer a shortfall.

Directly on the point, doing so would harm Ukrainian gas transit revenues, and piss of a lot of the Europe, and also give Hungary real reasons to stall or veto potential EU decisions on Ukraine, including permanently barring Ukraine from having a shot at EU membership, and any sanctions escalations right now.

This is an impossibly naive idea.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Zlodo posted:

what gets me in that picture is how all those smaller countries are depicted as inanimate objects, just resources to be consumed and only the big powers are represented as characters with their own agency
the picture says more about russia still being stuck in the imperialism era than anything else

Yup, its not an anti-imperialism piece, the message is that the bear is angry that someone else ate the sweet honey that HE was entitled to

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I think I also saw a cartoon with a US M1 tank painted in LGBT colors vs a russian tank with a huge main gun just before the war too lol.

That's a thing I'd actually like to see IRL.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

An inclusive and tolerant nation has a military which knows that for all its technological might, it is truly strong for its acceptance of everyone despite their differences, making them all the more able and willing to defend their freedom. Russia trusts naked force, systemic violence, and cycles of abuse to carry the day and is now reaping the consequences. A Good Cartoon.

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

Failed Imagineer posted:

Both genocide scholars and genocide deniers are united by a shared belief that the word "genocide" is a magic shibboleth that can induce people en masse to give a poo poo about horrifying atrocities. Personally I believe the word no longer has the kind of valence it had in the immediately post-WW2 era, partially due to countries like Israel turning the genocide dial until it broke off, and partially due to the internet age i.e. the abandonment of anything that we could confidently point to as consensus reality.

Genocide is hard to pin down. Another lifetime ago I did a grad school genocide and mass atrocity class with a quant violence scholar where a lot of the focus was basically "is it possible to make an authoritative genocide dataset" answer: no... but I think one possible way we could define genocide is "Given that an action led to a conviction in a reasonably fair and free court for genocide, it was probably genocide". Under that definition:

- RTLM was genocide, which means that efforts to use a media platform to justify mass violence via ethno-cultural erasure on the part of para-state media actors are genocide, which means that at least arguably Russian propaganda efforts could be investigated as genocide. The charge might not be sustained in the end because the broadcasts of the media are not directly accessible to the people doing the killing, but we're enough in the orbit that it could be investigated as such.

- Srebrenica was genocide, which means highly localized mass-slaughter along ethnic lines of inhabitants of a town including children is genocide, which means that at least arguably Bucha could be investigated as genocide. The charge might not be sustained in the end because there's some threshold number, proportion, or manner of deaths that are needed, but we're enough in the orbit that it could be investigated as such.

I am not sure if Russia's actions in Ukraine currently amount to genocide -- I could definitely see the counter argument for both cases I've brought up -- but I feel very comfortable saying they feel qualitatively and quantitatively similar to other actions previously legally found to be genocide.

I don't think anything I've said here requires a particularly sophisticated or exhaustive definition of genocide, or even a forward-looking one.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://ria.ru/20220403/ukraina-1781469605.html

:yikes:

Eng choice quotes
https://mobile.twitter.com/francska1/status/1510898134481788930

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Quixzlizx posted:

Are they really smart enough to see through western propaganda, or are they just disaffected from society and reflexively contrarian? Is a bitter, MAGA 20 year old Proud Boy who calls CNN fake news and guzzles down anti-vax Facebook articles pushed by Russia smart enough to see through western propaganda? Perhaps you're conflating process and results.
At least in my experience the tankie will at least have a better understanding of the financial and political forces driving our world and thus the source and reason behind the lies. That doesn't come from simple contrarianism, it requires at least some thought and education. They're not as dumb as a MAGA chud that avoids getting vaccinated because they think Bill Gates is going to chip them. They're smart enough to know better than to support monsters just because they're anti-west, but they do it anyway.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

freebooter posted:

My own 20yo-ish reading of A People's History was (while valuable) tempered by having recently visited the remembrance museum at Tuol Sleng and being very put off by the fact that when writing about the Mayaguez incident Zinn only referred to the Khmer Rouge as a "revolutionary regime" while painting the Americans as the only villains in the piece. Deeply disingenuous poo poo.

It's important to remember that Zinn was an activist, not a historian. While A People's History was a necessary counter-narrative when it was published in 1980, it has since been lapped by American historical scholarship, particularly with regards to issues of race, gender, and imperalism.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

gay picnic defence posted:

I don't think insecurity was ever their issue, they just made a lot of noise about it because it's somewhat justifiable compared to "I want my empire back".

It's probably fairly high on their priorities now even if it wasn't before.

gay picnic defence posted:

The fact that there's clearly been warcrimes and genocide taking place yet NATO/the west is still pussyfooting around the idea of sending tanks and fast jets to Ukraine for fear of escalating the conflict shows just how secure Russia really was and still is.

Have NATO ever intervened because of warcrimes ?.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Comstar posted:

Wargaming.net is leaving Russia and Belarus. They are closing their site in Minsk.

No, the announcement does not mention WHY they are doing this. :It's a Mystery: Must be bad space weather or something.

I assume it's to do with a mass exodus of players leading to financial losses?

I barely played either of their games before i deleted them in March and even then i never gave them money.

Too busy enjoying Space Engineers to care anyways. :shrug: