Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Gas is more difficult to circumvent, but Russian gas revenue is literally 1/6 of their oil revenue. Refined oil is fungible to an extent, assuming there are no sanctions discouraging other countries to taking up that excess, and assuming these third countries have both need and means to buy that spare volume. Crude oil, in contrast, requires proper refineries - Russia can no longer build or maintain their own, and the majority of their crude export gets refined in the Netherlands. That alone would be a gaping hole in their currently active income streams, as it already is their largest export item even at peacetime.

Every single economist I read is saying that oil ban is the most financially damaging single action EU can take right now.

Where did you get this figure? This is the best I could find:

quote:

- According to the central bank, Russia's total exports reached $489.8 billion in 2021. Of that, crude oil accounted for $110.2 billion, oil products for $68.7 billion, pipeline natural gas for $54.2 billion and liquefied natural gas $7.6 billion.
https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/russias-oil-gas-revenue-windfall-2022-01-21/

Gas seems about a third of oil (about 180b to 60b at 2021 prices), not 1/6th, and gets lower when you separate out crude oil vs refined oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Epicurius posted:

That's not it in this case. Russia believes, and has believed for a while, that Nazis are bad because they fought Russia. They don't care about the white supremacy as such.

Historically that isn't the case any moreso than any other belligerent that fought Germany in WWII. The Soviet Union took part in the Nuremberg trials and held its own war crimes tribunals against Germany over the Holocaust. France has its own history of using the Holocaust simply as a way to punish Nazis for aggression against the French in the Klaus Barbie trial.

My point is that there is a vein the world over of saying Nazis are monsters in part because of the Holocaust, when the person saying it is themselves a virulent white supremacist and anti-semite. There's nothing essentially different between a Russian with a death's head patch calling other people Nazis and a GOP voter with a thin blue line punisher sticker doing the same.

There's even greater irony, though, in that Russia is doing everything that one would genuinely use the term "Nazi" for. It's an aggressively expansionist ethno-state with a culturally oppressive nationalist government led by a singular cult of personality. Who, additionally, does genocide.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 4, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:nms:
Evidence of the rape and murder of a 3 year old dumped naked (blurred) on top of her also dead and raped 17 year old sister and others. This is some of the most heinous poo poo I’ve ever seen. No one should be allowed to whatabout or deny this. I don’t care how much money they give Jeffery via avatars purchases.
code:
https://twitter.com/mariana_betsa/status/1510966912724963328

I am going to say again this is horrific imagery and is the type that never leaves you. I won’t blame anyone who doesn’t want to see it, but it is important and newsworthy, if only to help push more towards the economic crippling of Russia and it’s military. No more excuses fro, Germany. It’s over. Total trade ban.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Jesus Christ that is loving awful

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/Chri5tianGoebel/status/1510923937802297347
https://twitter.com/Chri5tianGoebel/status/1510923950662078466

nationalism is a rabbit-hole. Yes, ultra-nationalist Chinese do like to bring up the Amur cession as an unequal treaty.

i haven't been following weibo reactions much, is the story here that the CCP isn't censoring these sentiments?

e: at least not yet anyway

Doctor Teeth fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 4, 2022

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

ronya posted:

nationalism is a rabbit-hole. Yes, ultra-nationalist Chinese do like to bring up the Amur cession as an unequal treaty.

Honestly, it sounds like the right conclusions from a circuitous path at least. Better than their government, which thinks Ukraine is at fault for refusing "rational" demands from Russia and tut-tutting Europe for being America's lapdogs. Assuming that other countries have goals and agency is a step forward in this case

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Evidence of the rape and murder of a 3 year old dumped naked (blurred) on top of her also dead and raped 17 year old sister and others. This is some of the most heinous poo poo I’ve ever seen. No one should be allowed to whatabout or deny this. I don’t care how much money they give Jeffery via avatars purchases.
code:
https://twitter.com/mariana_betsa/status/1510966912724963328

I am going to say again this is horrific imagery and is the type that never leaves you. I won’t blame anyone who doesn’t want to see it, but it is important and newsworthy, if only to help push more towards the economic crippling of Russia and it’s military. No more excuses fro, Germany. It’s over. Total trade ban.

I used to have some sympathy for the Russian conscripts. Not any more. Unspeakable evil.

e: and anybody who tries to 'both sides' this depravity can go choke on their own rotten Nazi tongue. gently caress.

How are u fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 4, 2022

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

BougieBitch posted:

Honestly, it sounds like the right conclusions from a circuitous path at least. Better than their government, which thinks Ukraine is at fault for refusing "rational" demands from Russia and tut-tutting Europe for being America's lapdogs. Assuming that other countries have goals and agency is a step forward in this case

Honestly, I get the impression that China's government knows perfectly well that Russia is going full monster in a human suit, they're just trying to cover for them because they're stuck in an us vs them mindset and think siding with the west against Russia would be pushing things back towards a unipolar world. In contrast I think even Putin and his advisors probably buy into their own lies at least a little.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 4, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ronya posted:

2.3 k seems really really tiny for a country like China. Hardly viral.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I'm probably gonna watch this and report back because I am not kind to myself, but if anyone else is interested the Russian UN rep is gonna have a press conference about "Ukraine's" crimes in Bucha at 15.30 US eastern on the UN livestream platform
https://twitter.com/Dpol_un/status/1511027827830837255?t=LEFdN6lz-iAOprAElyeZ7A&s=19

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KitConstantine posted:

I'm probably gonna watch this and report back because I am not kind to myself, but if anyone else is interested the Russian UN rep is gonna have a press conference about "Ukraine's" crimes in Bucha at 15.30 US eastern on the UN livestream platform
https://twitter.com/Dpol_un/status/1511027827830837255?t=LEFdN6lz-iAOprAElyeZ7A&s=19

Note that he's holding a news conference because the UN Security Council told him to pound sand when he demanded a meeting about it.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

*removed*

I saw this an hour or so ago and I'm still in a seething rage. If there was any doubt before, there isn't now: Putin's Russia is full of loving monsters. This is particularly galling for me because much of my history studies focused on the Eastern Front of WW2, so I am very familiar with what the Nazis and their allies did. The Soviets weren't saints either, but... one would think after enduring that kind of poo poo that one might consider doing such things to be unacceptable. My sympathy for the plight of Russia's forced conscripts and its citizens who have kept these fucks in power all these years is gone. I don't merely want the Ukrainians to beat them. I want the Russian invasion army to be wiped the gently caress out.

Edit:

KitConstantine posted:

gently caress him too. If he so much as steps off the UN premises I hope the US deports his rear end.

Yureina fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 4, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Where did you get this figure? This is the best I could find:

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/russias-oil-gas-revenue-windfall-2022-01-21/

Gas seems about a third of oil (about 180b to 60b at 2021 prices), not 1/6th, and gets lower when you separate out crude oil vs refined oil.

I took a 2020 number from the page I linked before. At 2021 numbers oil remains much more important to Russia’s bottom line than the gas, and an oil ban might alone push them into the red, whereas gas alone may be far from it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What about a strategic tracksuit embargo?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Seeing the latest reports of atrocities out of Ukraine, and I'm at the point where I cannot deal with this level of cruelty and devastation.
I literally cannot process the emotions of looking at an army willing to commit crimes so utterly vile and evil against a vulnerable civilian population.
Who are these soldiers?
How can they do such foul things?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yureina could you edit your post? They way you formatted the quote makes the tweet show up in full on the Awful app.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Yureina posted:

I saw this an hour or so ago and I'm still in a seething rage. If there was any doubt before, there isn't now: Putin's Russia is full of loving monsters. This is particularly galling for me because much of my history studies focused on the Eastern Front of WW2, so I am very familiar with what the Nazis and their allies did. The Soviets weren't saints either, but... one would think after enduring that kind of poo poo that one might consider doing such things to be unacceptable. My sympathy for the plight of Russia's forced conscripts and its citizens who have kept these fucks in power all these years is gone. I don't merely want the Ukrainians to beat them. I want the Russian invasion army to be wiped the gently caress out.

Edit:

gently caress him too. If he so much as steps off the UN premises I hope the US deports his rear end.

Every year there are less people around with direct experience of it. So it's fading into myth. Those who fail to learn from history and all that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The war has gone from "haha, these Russian soldiers are so undisciplined and corrupt" to "oh gently caress, these Russian soldiers are so undisciplined and corrupt"

I guess this sort of behaviour could have been predicted, given what we know about the state of their army, but I doubt anyone wanted to believe it.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Pookah posted:

Seeing the latest reports of atrocities out of Ukraine, and I'm at the point where I cannot deal with this level of cruelty and devastation.
I literally cannot process the emotions of looking at an army willing to commit crimes so utterly vile and evil against a vulnerable civilian population.
Who are these soldiers?
I mean, we're one generation in having only lived under Putin's control. Seems like it'd be pretty easy to indoctrinate them with propaganda when it's all they've ever known/trusted.

And that's not accounting for older officers/general staff, most of whom I would assume are more dedicated to seeing Russian military might restored and advancing Russia's standing in the world more than anything else.

e: I would note the idea of restoring Russian military might now is a bit of a joke since their army showed their whole incompetent rear end to the world by invading Ukraine, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the intent.

Abner Assington fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 4, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is loving awful but please don't fall into the trap of dehumanizing everyone in Russia. Xenophobia and racism breeds that way. Hate the people who commit the crimes. Russia is not a monolithic entity and many people from there have put their lives on the line to prove that.

It is entirely reasonable to feel immense anger over atrocities. Just remember your own humanity at the same time.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Marshal Prolapse posted:

oh my God, russia did a warcrimes? The horror landgrab campaign country with their special genocide-flavor warcrimes division of the military, they just did a warcrimes like that? They just warcrimed it out, is what you're trying to tell me? The bomb MSF hospitals on purpose country, doing a little genocide? The people that made terrorbombing an olympic sport, you're telling me they just started executing and raping?? These are extremely bold claims. As a moron piece of poo poo I am going to be in need of continuously shifting new standards of evidence before I start believing that any of this happened and wasn't NATO's fault

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I took a 2020 number from the page I linked before. At 2021 numbers oil remains much more important to Russia’s bottom line than the gas, and an oil ban might alone push them into the red, whereas gas alone may be far from it.

yeah clearly zeroing out their oil revenues beats zeroing out their gas revenues. there's two big issues though:

1) does the increased fungibility of oil make it easier to evade the sanctions and recoup some money, compared to gas where it's going to be very difficult to find other buyers
2) does russia cut off gas if oil is sanctioned. right now they don't cut off gas because they collapse if they do. but if cutting off oil is enough their foreign payments collapse, why not cut off gas at that point.

Abner Assington posted:

I mean, we're one generation in having only lived under Putin's control. Seems like it'd be pretty easy to indoctrinate them with propaganda when it's all they've ever known/trusted.

And that's not accounting for older officers/general staff, most of whom I would assume are more dedicated to seeing Russian military might restored and advancing Russia's standing in the world more than anything else.

iirc it's very clear that it is the youth that are least in favor of putin and the old grandmothers are his strongest support

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Some people are having mea culpas

https://mobile.twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1511023823348510721

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like Macron might not be having any cozy little chats with Putin in the near future
https://twitter.com/nealerichmond/status/1511045748284178435?t=nsisqxlH7UFKo7xK5Ifx1A&s=19
Apparently 35 are being expelled. I expect we will hear Russia whine about this and Germany expelling 40 diplomats tomorrow. Or maybe even later today!

I can only hope this presages some real action on their governments' parts but things like the tweet just posted are hurting my ability to hope.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Patrocclesiastes posted:

The world should probably collectively denazify russia and maybe in terms they themselves have set?

Please do not shoot my wife for having a russian tattoo, thanks.

ImpAtom posted:

This is loving awful but please don't fall into the trap of dehumanizing everyone in Russia. Xenophobia and racism breeds that way. Hate the people who commit the crimes. Russia is not a monolithic entity and many people from there have put their lives on the line to prove that.

It is entirely reasonable to feel immense anger over atrocities. Just remember your own humanity at the same time.

Yeah seriously, there's already reports that some russian soldiers are polite while others are busy being uruk-hai. Let's please punish the war crime doers and the officers and not bray to wipe out hundreds of thousands while calling the whole country monsters. Hell, for all we know the latter will deal with the former before anyone else gets a chance to enact their bloodlust. We didn't respond to the nazis by throwing 12 million germans into gas chambers. Do y'all also want to drone strike some american weddings and sick some african mercenaries on Lyon?

How are u posted:

I used to have some sympathy for the Russian conscripts. Not any more. Unspeakable evil.

e: and anybody who tries to 'both sides' this depravity can go choke on their own rotten Nazi tongue. gently caress.

eat my rear end and call me a nazi then, at least I don't want mass reprisal killings.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 4, 2022

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Abner Assington posted:

e: I would note the idea of restoring Russian military might now is a bit of a joke since their army showed their whole incompetent rear end to the world by invading Ukraine, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the intent.

These are people who look like Russians, speak Russian and who are openly begging fellow Russians not to murder their children and families.
That's not explainable by 'oh propaganda manged to other-ize people almost identical to us"

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm trying really loving hard and I certainly don't want to see this sort of poo poo happening to Russian civilians, but seeing poo poo like that makes my blood boil.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
It's unlikely that Ukraine can push Russia out of the south and Donbas but we should give them every piece of kit possible to take and hold as much land as possible. Every village and town occupied could be another Bucha or Mariupol.

I don't feel anything when another Russian vehicle gets blown up. I'm completely done.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pookah posted:

Who are these soldiers?

they are people, this is what the ultranationalist right wing grievance politics which i will call Chuddism creates. its just creates pain and death and fanatical nihlism because "if i am hosed then so are you".

also poo poo like this is how the active killings in the holocaust started in same borderlands in fact.

:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDirVoNLPGo :nms:

:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J-xlJgCr2U :nms:

its about the einzatsgruppen poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pookah posted:

These are people who look like Russians, speak Russian and who are openly begging fellow Russians not to murder their children and families.
That's not explainable by 'oh propaganda manged to other-ize people almost identical to us"

That is exactly what propaganda is best at.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah seriously, there's already reports that some russian soldiers are polite while others are busy being uruk-hai. Let's please punish the war crime doers and the officers and not bray to wipe out hundreds of thousands while calling the whole country monsters. Hell, for all we know the latter will deal with the former before anyone else gets a chance to enact their bloodlust.

That seems rather optimistic, historically the reverse happens

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

It's unlikely that Ukraine can push Russia out of the south and Donbas but we should give them every piece of kit possible to take and hold as much land as possible. Every village and town occupied could be another Bucha or Mariupol.

Yeah, the calculus of the war has changed so much.

Imagine Russia trying to negotiate a "ceasefire". Imagine them asking to retain control of any Ukrainian territory in a peace deal.

Last week I could imagine the US and the EU encouraging Ukraine to accept these things but now, not a chance.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

evilweasel posted:

yeah clearly zeroing out their oil revenues beats zeroing out their gas revenues. there's two big issues though:

1) does the increased fungibility of oil make it easier to evade the sanctions and recoup some money, compared to gas where it's going to be very difficult to find other buyers
2) does russia cut off gas if oil is sanctioned. right now they don't cut off gas because they collapse if they do. but if cutting off oil is enough their foreign payments collapse, why not cut off gas at that point.

iirc it's very clear that it is the youth that are least in favor of putin and the old grandmothers are his strongest support

Pookah posted:

Maybe I misread the person I quoted, but I'm specifically referring to the soldiers that have committing/are committing war crimes in Ukraine, not the Russian population at large (or even the soldiers at the onset of the invasion that weren't so war crime-y, I guess).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

This cannot loving be real.

I've been a lifelong leftist and far left voter in opposition to NATO adventurism and EU membership, I always figured we were better off handling our own poo poo.

I don't think I can live with that line of thinking anymore. There are monsters ruling our neigbouring country. Anything but total unity in the west, among democracies and human rights respecting societies and a strong defence pact will do. Anything less is an invitation for these rabid wolves to threaten our society with destruction.

Make Russia a pariah state. Sanction them into the ground. Intervene more.

Jesus Christ.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Owling Howl posted:

I don't feel anything when another Russian vehicle gets blown up. I'm completely done.

You should, though. You can't say every single one of the people in these annihilated formations is in on the evil. Many of them aren't taking part in this, were sent to obligatory service being told false pretenses they can't find out the truth from yet, are likely to have no idea this is even being done. That's part of what makes war hell. We don't know the stories of most of these people being turned into chunks of meat in their cold war deathtrap cans

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Apparently some documents were found in among the Russian debris around Kyiv claiming that Russian soldiers weren't being paid and offered weekends off instead. Maybe the sanctions are starting to bite.

https://www.facebook.com/DefenceIntelligenceofUkraine

Google translation of text:
"⚡Weekend instead of money and a ban on complaining - another confirmation of problems in the occupier's army
▪️ Documents have been received proving that the Russian military does not receive the promised monetary payments. A telegram addressed to the commanders of nine military units expressed outrage at the appeal of Russian servicemen to the central military administration. According to the document, the occupiers are limited in cash payments, promising to provide additional days off instead. At the same time, they forbid to complain about the lack of funding and even appoint proceedings for such attempts.
▪️ It also follows from the documents that during the inspection of the participants of the Russian-Ukrainian war, conscripts illegally sent to Ukraine were found. However, the document does not contain instructions to return the soldiers home.
▪️ Also, the Russian command orders a separate list of servicemen who refused to take part in hostilities against Ukraine.
▪️ The document was signed by the Deputy Commander of the Southern Military District Peter Gibert.
Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine "

Attached images:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Owling Howl posted:

I remain the same as i felt before, just more clearly now: Joy. Joy that another group of murdering wretches are gone from this earth.

Never able to threaten another human again.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Staluigi posted:

You should, though. You can't say every single one of the people in these annihilated formations is in on the evil. Many of them aren't taking part in this, were sent to obligatory service being told false pretenses they can't find out the truth from yet, are likely to have no idea this is even being done. That's part of what makes war hell. We don't know the stories of most of these people being turned into chunks of meat in their cold war deathtrap cans

I appreciate this post for trying to maintain a humanizing perspective in the face of all these atrocities.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I can't really blame anyone for any type of emotional reaction to poo poo in this war anymore. It's all scratching at the core of what makes people human (the good and the bad), and that poo poo is hard to conveniently, cleanly place into this box or that category. Take breaks and protect your sanity, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Long good thread with an Estonian intelligence analyst's view of what might happen in the East
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1511054139031179273?s=20&t=RwCLojE2En5Jngv_Bu_jfg

Key point - note that the initial "they" refers to Russia
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1511054151291125763?s=20&t=RwCLojE2En5Jngv_Bu_jfg

Michael Weiss has been posted here before, and has referenced this source before, so I have high confidence it's real. Also having an eastern European perspective rather an a US or western European one is interesting imo