Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Paxman posted:

There's no reason to assume a putsch that replaced Putin would install anyone better.

People with the means to replace him in the military or security services won't necessarily oppose his fantasies about restoring the Russian empire. They're more likely to be mad that he lost in Ukraine, not that he tried to invade it.

To add (given recent debate) I'm not denying at all that other views exist in Russia, it just doesn't look like people with those views are anywhere near power.

i'm not sure. people say this sort of thing about hitler and stalin too, that they were products of an entire corporate state that surrounded them and that they were interchangeable. i don't think this is true. putin, like hitler, is a uniquely sociopathic person and if someone were to kill him off they'd have to at least minimally distance themselves from his actions

i don't think there's any chance that this will actually happen though. in the best case scenario, the rumors about his poor health are true and he dies of an illness in the not too distant future, but that's not something anyone should bet on

i also think this relates back to something i posted earlier: it takes time to produce a dictator. fascism works on an escalatory logic that needs time to work, a period in which propaganda that is initially merely cynical or utilitarian starts to be believed, for misdeeds to pile up that then need a rationale ("i bombed grozny, because i am trying to protect the fatherland", "i collectivized agriculture, because in the last analysis, it will be the first step towards utopia"). i think putin started out as a relatively normal person with sociopathic tendencies, but over time he became what he is now by being the head of a certain kind of system. putting it in extremely tedious and annoying academic terms, putin and the russian state co-produced one another and if you take putin out of the equation i think at least some of that spell will be broken, at the very least it would offer an excuse to end the war on negotiations and for the next guy to wash his hands of it and forget about it

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

a podcast for cats posted:

There was a really well written and insightful effortpost by a mod in the C-SPAM thread a month ago.

I bookmarked it when I originally read it and came across it again yesterday. It got lost in the cesspool, but it gives very nuanced view on the conflict and what "denazification" may mean. I think it's worth a read.

Thanks for linking this! Russia increasingly decoupling Nazism from its core tenets and reducing it to a convenient catch-all for anything "anti Russia" has a ton of explanatory power imo.

vyelkin posted:

Statements coming out of Russian leaders are now saying that Ukrainians have been "brainwashed," which is a really bad sign. It means they're now starting to see the "nazification" of Ukraine as not just something that affects replaceable elites, but something that affects the larger civilian population. The implications of that are horrific.
This part written a month ago feels especially prescient given recent events :/

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 5, 2022

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

There was a really well written and insightful effortpost by a mod in the C-SPAM thread a month ago.

I bookmarked it when I originally read it and came across it again yesterday. It got lost in the cesspool, but it gives very nuanced view on the conflict and what "denazification" may mean. I think it's worth a read.

Another case of leftist brainworms where it is somehow the bloodthirsty West pushing Ukraine for not recognising Russian dominance of Crimea instead of Zelensky restating the importance territorial integrity. Ultimately that person is right that it is existential fight for Ukraine which is inconceivable for people who mostly live in countries protected by article 5.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

I'd love to know this too.

But logistics aside, one major challenge for Russia is going to be force availability and attrition

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1510681889820004359?s=20&t=Aj-uDYjdhQSeSDVaBMQp6A

Yeah, so long as the Ukrainians have night vision gear, modern optics and high morale and the Russians have none of those things, the Russians are going to take heavy casualties and given the forces arrayed in theater the Ukrainians can out last them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1511283407724195841

Despite some arrogance and some tired Russian tropes, that’s a well written take on what “Nazism” means to Russians, and the implications of that.

Alan Smithee posted:

How long would it take to get Germany’s kraftwerks up and running

We have one Kraftwerk posting here already, what do you mean by saying that there’s more to come?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

fatherboxx posted:

Another case of leftist brainworms where it is somehow the bloodthirsty West pushing Ukraine for not recognising Russian dominance of Crimea instead of Zelensky restating the importance territorial integrity. Ultimately that person is right that it is existential fight for Ukraine which is inconceivable for people who mostly live in countries protected by article 5.
I read that section, along with multiple other parts (comparing the Ukrainian resistance to groups such as the Palestinians and Vietnamese, to emphasise it as an anti-imperialist struggle; plus going into huge detail that cannot be easily dismissed to deconstruct common assumptions about everyone being Nazis etc) as being necessary 'sugar-coating' for the intended audience to be able to swallow the wider message, and not just reject it outright.

To be fair a few did react, but its shameful what a comparatively small reaction that excellent post got.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/IrishMirror/status/1511251757351030786?s=20&t=xPm0uB31CLnYhj7PtDJFpw

Unintended Consequences etc

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Shibawanko posted:

what are the odds right now that the eastern push by russia will be successful? people here have been fairly optimistic about beating the russians back but thats not what most of the major newspapers and zelenskyy himself seem to say

it seems that the main reason the kyiv offensive failed was that supply lines and logistics were just unsustainable, poorly organized and prey to ukrainian hit&run attacks, will that be true in the east and south too?

It's worth thinking about what success looks like for either side.

Personally I don't think there is a pathway to a Russian victory anymore, unless Ukraine gives up and there doesn't seem like a whole lot of desire for that. Russia capturing the Donbas doesn't necessarily mean Ukraine will pack up their bat and ball and go home. They may well want to keep fighting and can certainly keep up the fight for longer than Russia can. If they can absorb the Russian offensives, maintain an orderly fighting withdrawal if necessary and give themselves time for more western arms to arrive I think they have a chance of making the losses untenable for Russia. Much like the US in Vietnam, the numbers on paper may favour one side but it doesn't always translate into a victory.

It's hard to know how it will pan out from a purely military perspective because we're only guessing at the strength of Russian units in the area and the degree to which they can be reinforced from the north. The northern offensives failed for a number of reasons, and while Russia has been able to make more progress in the south it has not been rapid and Ukraine has been able to maintain a fairly effective defensive line.

Both sides can concentrate their forces along a narrower front now, and for Ukraine this means they can concentrate the advantage of their western weapons into the area as well - that area is very soon going to be absolutely bristling with MANPADS and ATGMs. Trying to attack into that is going to be amazingly costly.

Paxman posted:

There's no reason to assume a putsch that replaced Putin would install anyone better.

People with the means to replace him in the military or security services won't necessarily oppose his fantasies about restoring the Russian empire. They're more likely to be mad that he lost in Ukraine, not that he tried to invade it.

To add (given recent debate) I'm not denying at all that other views exist in Russia, it just doesn't look like people with those views are anywhere near power.

The main reason I think a coup would end the conflict is that it was a patently dumb idea from the outset and a leadership change gives Russia a chance to reset, blame it all on the previous guy and pull out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:nms: ATGM blows up a helicopter

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1511294675818328065

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Do we have any military analysis or takes on what the Ukrainians could do to launch offensives in the South ans East?

My understanding is that they're asking for heavier materiel like tanks, which the NATO countries are unwilling to provide for now. But in the absence of tanks to launch counter-offensives, and with sufficient man-portable AT and AA weapons to prevent Russian offensives, are there alternatives open to the Ukrainians that focus mostly on infantry?

I recall during world war 1, stalemates were occasionally broken with infantry tactics and in particular night raids. Is this something Ukraine could do if they receive good night-vision gear and the Russians are unable to produce their own / have inferior gear, for example?

Trying to think of ways that NATO could help the Ukrainians with launching offensives to slowly but surely reclaim lost ground, even if we remain unwilling to provide vehicles (which is a mistake, in my opinion, and I just don't see viable alternatives at this stage except waiting for the Russian economy to collapse and hope they spontaneously implode, which appears to be the current NATO strategy)

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Shibawanko posted:

putin, like hitler, is a uniquely sociopathic person

there's no such thing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My armchair general take would be that counteroffensive in the East requires proper equipment, if it is possible at all since it would soon face Russian fortifications, and artillery firing from Russian Federation’s internationally recognised borders. In south, Ukrainian troops may be poised to retake Kherson, which would be an infantry campaign predominantly. If the Kherson falls, there’s going to be lots of positional shifting from Russian side in the south, with unknown consequences.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1511287379386150917

I don't have the numbers as to what this means for Russian exports but it should be more effective than Gucci bags.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
With all the talks of poisoned food/drink supplied by Ukrainian civilans, wouldn't it be quite simple to distill methanol as an additive to whatever they decide to serve the denazifiers?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So will europe be able to get alternative energy sources in place, or will we source coal from west virginia or something?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Been battling with whether to write this or not, since this war is loving horrific, plus the subject of this post has long been turned into a joke the world over. But, you know, let's have some good news as well. I'm a volunteer for the Polish Celiac Society (you know, the dreaded GLUTEN FREE diet freaks <not really>). Wouldn't you know it, celiac disease and the real medical need for a gluten free diet is a thing in Ukraine as well. Thus, since day 1 of the war, we have organized weekly transports of tons of all sorts of gf food to Ukraine (Lviv, Kyiv, Vinnytsia mainly). Luckily all the transports got through and found their way to volunteers of Ukrainian Celiac Society, who parcel the food out and send it to people in need. Thousands have been helped in this way. My org is currently occupied with almost nothing else than the logistical effort. Eight transports went out so far. We are not the only ones doing that. Eastern European celiac orgs and independent activists are all doing what they can to provide people with food they can't otherwise find.

Ready for transport:

In Ukraine:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

Do we have any military analysis or takes on what the Ukrainians could do to launch offensives in the South ans East?

My understanding is that they're asking for heavier materiel like tanks, which the NATO countries are unwilling to provide for now. But in the absence of tanks to launch counter-offensives, and with sufficient man-portable AT and AA weapons to prevent Russian offensives, are there alternatives open to the Ukrainians that focus mostly on infantry?

I recall during world war 1, stalemates were occasionally broken with infantry tactics and in particular night raids. Is this something Ukraine could do if they receive good night-vision gear and the Russians are unable to produce their own / have inferior gear, for example?

Trying to think of ways that NATO could help the Ukrainians with launching offensives to slowly but surely reclaim lost ground, even if we remain unwilling to provide vehicles (which is a mistake, in my opinion, and I just don't see viable alternatives at this stage except waiting for the Russian economy to collapse and hope they spontaneously implode, which appears to be the current NATO strategy)

Until Ukraine gets their hands on heavy equipment I think most offensive actions they take will be as you describe - dismounted infantry attacks, small in scale, mostly at night to take advantage in the disparity in night fighting capability, and targeted at known weak points in the Russian lines. Localised, shoot-and-scoot artillery strikes on concentrations of Russian vehicles are also likely.

While these things aren't as 'sexy' as a sweeping counteroffensive driving Russia from their lands it's a pretty good way to wear down the opposition while minimising your own casualties and materiel losses.

The war does not necessarily end when Russia retakes the Donbas and they can only hold it for as long as they can tolerate the casualties doing so will incur. This means that wearing Russia down over a period of time is as a viable pathway to victory for Ukraine as a successful counteroffensive physically driving Russia from their soil.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MassiveSky posted:

With all the talks of poisoned food/drink supplied by Ukrainian civilans, wouldn't it be quite simple to distill methanol as an additive to whatever they decide to serve the denazifiers?

That would be very effective but would result in a mass execution

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MikeC posted:

That's the kicker, everyone thought that Russia was too smart to be this dumb. Coercive economic tactics? Sure. Paramilitary and covert operations to destabilize the country? Absolutely. Aggressive military posturing and political rhetoric to make acceptance of Ukraine into the Western Sphere an unpalatable suggestion? Guaranteed. But to actually launch a full-scale invasion with the intent of regime change...that was a madness very few people predicted ahead of time and only in the week prior to the start date when Russian units moved into advanced positions did we people really start to take the spectre of a wholesale invasion seriously since no one thought Putin was this dumb or deluded. Even if all went as he would have hoped - a complete collapse in 3 days with Zelensky turning tail and running - you had to figure your army would then be bogged down long term in Ukraine doing garrison duty and the West would isolate you economically and you lose your energy meal ticket in the long run.

It's astounding how counterproductive Russia's actions have been so far. First they surgically removed the most reliably pro-Russian parts of the country (Crimea and to a lesser extent the Donbas), then they invaded the remainder, committing numerous war crimes and atrocities along the way, mostly in areas that had traditionally been relatively friendly to Russia. The end result will be a Ukraine (including most of its native Russian speakers) that is deeply resentful of its eastern neighbor for at least a generation, if not longer, while Russia itself will likely suffer massively from all the sanctions.

The best they can hope for now is to carve out some more territory for their partially recognized bargain-bin 'people's republics', and to broaden the existing corridor between these and Crimea. Unfortunately, it seems like Mariupol has now been completely overrun, so they have made some progress in that regard.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MassiveSky posted:

...what the gently caress? Can you quickly provide context for this statement?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

MassiveSky posted:

You want something faster acting for that I think, maybe check the local farm supply place to see if they have any 1080.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Count Roland posted:

The unconfirmed twitter reports of invaders being poisoned from "borrowed" supplies.

E: Also, if you've ever made moonshine you probably know what *not* to do, and what *not* to do is make methanol.
I imagine that moonshining is quite prevalent in Ukraine as it is in most of Eastern Europe.

MassiveSky fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 5, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

lagidnam posted:

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1511287379386150917

I don't have the numbers as to what this means for Russian exports but it should be more effective than Gucci bags.
This article claims EU's coal imports since start of the war until 21.3. amounted to €436 million, while oil neared €5.8 billion
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/energy/natural-gas/eus-gas-coal-and-oil-imports-from-russia-since-beginning-of-war-nears-17-billion/34897

It seems that ban will also affect EU exports to Russia

quote:

The EU is also proposing to ban exports to Russia worth another 10 billion euros a year, including semiconductors, computers, technology for LNG gas and other electrical and transport equipment, the source said.

Russian vessels and trucks will also be prevented from accessing the EU, further crippling trade with Russia, the source said, adding that exceptions will be made for energy products, food and medicines.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu-propose-new-sweeping-sanctions-against-russia-worth-billions-euros-source-2022-04-05/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:nms: ATGM blows up a helicopter

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1511294675818328065

What the gently caress. Using a SACLOS ATGM system on a helicopter is Arma 3 tier fuckery.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Been battling with whether to write this or not, since this war is loving horrific, plus the subject of this post has long been turned into a joke the world over. But, you know, let's have some good news as well. I'm a volunteer for the Polish Celiac Society (you know, the dreaded GLUTEN FREE diet freaks <not really>). Wouldn't you know it, celiac disease and the real medical need for a gluten free diet is a thing in Ukraine as well. Thus, since day 1 of the war, we have organized weekly transports of tons of all sorts of gf food to Ukraine (Lviv, Kyiv, Vinnytsia mainly). Luckily all the transports got through and found their way to volunteers of Ukrainian Celiac Society, who parcel the food out and send it to people in need. Thousands have been helped in this way. My org is currently occupied with almost nothing else than the logistical effort. Eight transports went out so far. We are not the only ones doing that. Eastern European celiac orgs and independent activists are all doing what they can to provide people with food they can't otherwise find.

Thank you for posting this. I showed it to my wife who suffers from an autoimmune gut disorder similar to celiac disease (ie no gluten or her other autoimmune conditions flare up). She's been anxious and sleep-deprived lately because of feeling helpless towards Ukraine. After seeing this she was very happy and is now sleeping soundly in the middle of the day :). I know it's nothing compared to what you're doing for the recipients in Ukraine - but I just wanted to mention this post of yours had an smaller impact here. We can't afford donating more than we already have this month, but when we can afford it again, we'll look into if there's a similar org or effort locally where we live.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Ready for transport:

In Ukraine:

:3:

Thank you so much for posting this, the last few days have been so incredibly horrific, seeing every bit of kindness, decency and compassion in action is a real antidote to despair.

edit: my cousin is celiac, and before she finally got diagnosed, they thought she had any one of a huge range of illnesses, including MS. She was on large daily doses of strong painkillers to manage her symptoms. Once she eliminated gluten? Perfectly healthy.
It's really awful condition if untreated.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 5, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That's a great post, thank you!
Definitely enjoying any break from doom and gloom we can get.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Antigravitas posted:

What the gently caress. Using a SACLOS ATGM system on a helicopter is Arma 3 tier fuckery.

The flying tanks seems to have weaknesses against flying anti tank.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I was someone who thought gluten free diet is just another fad until last September when my wife was rushed into a hospital and had serious surgery, after which gluten (and many other things) have been forbidden for her. Living gluten free/with Celiac fuckin sucks even when you can basically walk into any store and buy at least something gluten free, I can't even imagine how hard it is in a country ravaged by war. So thank you for this.

Want to add that we had multiple people show up at the train station in Budapest bringing gluten free products to the refugees incase someone is on such diet, which was also great to see.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Anne Frank Funk posted:

This is a post of the unironic Cool Zone quality, keep up the good work!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks guys. It's the one way I can make a difference.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My thanks to you for bringing the post by vyelkin to us. :tipshat:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Ready for transport:

In Ukraine:

This is a perfectly fine post, and you should be proud of yourself and your colleagues.

Count Roland posted:

It’s an essentially unconfirmed war legend about noble Ukrainian babushka baking poisoned pies for the invaders.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I was someone who thought gluten free diet is just another fad until last September when my wife was rushed into a hospital and had serious surgery, after which gluten (and many other things) have been forbidden for her. Living gluten free/with Celiac fuckin sucks even when you can basically walk into any store and buy at least something gluten free, I can't even imagine how hard it is in a country ravaged by war. So thank you for this.

Want to add that we had multiple people show up at the train station in Budapest bringing gluten free products to the refugees incase someone is on such diet, which was also great to see.

Celiac disease or gluten intolerance are the real thing and they suck, especially in the West given that our entire diets are based on wheat.

The fad is claiming to be "gluten sensitive" without a medical diagnosis. Usually very loudy to an underpaid worker at a restaurant.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 5, 2022

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s an essentially unconfirmed war legend about noble Ukrainian babushka baking poisoned pies for the invaders.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/russia-ukraine-soldiers-izium-kharkiv-poison-pie-b992193.html

Yep, tabloid fodder more or less.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Celiac or gluten allergies are the real thing. The fad is claiming to be "gluten sensitive" without a medical diagnosis.

As someone mildly allergic to wheat and to cow milk, I honestly am thankful for the people making that poo poo up. It has had a real effect on what normal supermarkets stock up on and sell here, and not just in availability of gluten-free and lactose-free foods, which I don't, luckily, have to restrict myself to.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Ready for transport:

In Ukraine:

you own my dude/dudette

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As someone mildly allergic to wheat and to cow milk, I honestly am thankful for the people making that poo poo up. It has had a real effect on what normal supermarkets stock up on and sell here, and not just in availability of gluten-free and lactose-free foods, which I don't, luckily, have to restrict myself to.

I'm glad it's worked out that way for you but I always remember the public tantrums by proto-Karens I've witnessed.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The fad is claiming to be "gluten sensitive" without a medical diagnosis. Usually very loudy to an underpaid worker at a restaurant.

I've honestly never encountered this in the wild I've always been under the assumption that gluten stuff was for legitimate allergy reasons or similarly people who need to avoid it in their diet for more general health reasons. I assume the idea of a gluten-free fad is mostly exaggerated over-reporting on a minority of loud people somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Thanks guys. It's the one way I can make a difference.

Your post made me smile. You loving rock!