Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Cemetry Gator posted:

What is Elmo doing for two hours in the bathroom?

His best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

You know they'll make us double dip for the UHD in a year

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

1982's Cat People is also getting a 4K. That should look amazing, especially the opening sequence.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well, my Diabolik order showed up. Still no word on my Kino stuff. Their website still says “Now Processing”.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Elmo's poo poo works the same way as the puppet for Oscar's worm

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How the hell does he poop when there’s a hand there?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The puppeteer is the poop

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
is it Kevin Clash Elmo doing the poop teaching

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Shout Factory has a bunch of poo poo on sale. Masque of the Red Death and Vincent Price vol. 3 seem to be the best discounts.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/roger-corman-sale

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd consider that Rock'n'Roll High School steelbook, but I've spent enough money on this hobby lately. I already have the Vincent Price collection.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shout is releasing a second volume Werner Herzog collection in June. All lesser known works. It's Shout Select so it looks like you just get a regular Blu-ray case for it instead of the thick digibook that the first one had.

On five discs you get:
  • SIGNS OF LIFE - 1968
  • THE GREAT ECSTASY OF WOODCARVER STEINER - 1974
  • HOW MUCH WOOD WOULD A WOODCHUCK CHUCK - 1976
  • LA SOUFRIÈRE - 1977
  • GOD’S ANGRY MAN - 1981
  • HUIE'S SERMON - 1981
  • THE DARK GLOW OF THE MOUNTAINS - 1985
  • HERDSMEN OF THE SUN - 1989
  • ECHOES FROM A SOMBER EMPIRE - 1990
  • WHEEL OF TIME - 2003
  • THE WILD BLUE YONDER - 2005

For $63.98. I'm not familiar with most of these but I'm a fan so I'll certainly consider grabbing it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dark Glow of the Mountains and La Soufriere are great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Wild Blue Yonder absolutely kicks rear end. If there are any Brad Dourif fans in the audience, Wild Blue Yonder by itself makes that set worth buying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pksyIwiP2Cs

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My copy of The Meteor Man showed up in the mail yesterday. It really holds up, it's a rare treat to go back and watch a movie you loved as a kid but for whatever reason just haven't rewatched in like 30 years.

Also added Kino Lorber's The Long Goodbye blu to my collection. I have a pretty solid Altman collection at this point, but still some big ones left to add, like 3 Women, MASH, and Gosford Park. I do wonder if we'll ever get some Altman UHDs though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I continue to enjoy Saturn's Core SoV releases.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

My copy of The Meteor Man showed up in the mail yesterday. It really holds up, it's a rare treat to go back and watch a movie you loved as a kid but for whatever reason just haven't rewatched in like 30 years.

Also added Kino Lorber's The Long Goodbye blu to my collection. I have a pretty solid Altman collection at this point, but still some big ones left to add, like 3 Women, MASH, and Gosford Park. I do wonder if we'll ever get some Altman UHDs though.

OC and Stiggs UHD is a day one purchase for me

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I continue to enjoy Saturn's Core SoV releases.
Likewise. I met Ross Snyder at a VHS festival and bought Mail-Order Murder from him, and I've since bought everything SC has put out so far.

I've been fascinated by W.A.V.E. Productions in particular for years, and until talking to Snyder that day I had no idea there was a collectors' market for those tapes. They're just... they're not well-made, they're not well-acted, they're not well-written to the extent that they're written at all, they're not sexy and the stars aren't especially attractive... but there's something strangely compelling about them. I get a similar vibe from Todd Sheets's early material.

Speaking of whom, has anyone ever done a good release of Violent New Breed?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
There's a couple I've skipped that I'm going to go back n pick up since I've enjoyed the others I've watched. Shatter Dead was amazing while the others ive watched have all been goofy fun st the least

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
My Napoleon Blu ray came in. Don't know what compels me to watch a 7 hour silent films but here we go :v

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the new 4K remaster of Lost Highway will be out in July or August per Janus Films. Not sure if it's

aperfectcirclefan posted:

My Napoleon Blu ray came in. Don't know what compels me to watch a 7 hour silent films but here we go :v

Theatrical screenings of the BFI/Brownlow cut had 15 minute intermissions between Act I and II, 90 min dinner/lunch break between II and III, then another 15 minute between III and IV. Only films I've seen theatrically with an intermission are Lawrence of Arabia and 2001, but I found the break to do wonders in letting my mind recharge before the second half.

And we're supposed to finally get the new 4K restoration of the 99% uncut premiere version by next year (substantially from camera negative and with both tryptichs)

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Dang didn't know about the 4k. Glad to know about the intermissions, I'll honor those for sure.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Kino order just shipped. Almost 2 weeks later. I wonder if something in there delayed it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

My Kino order just shipped. Almost 2 weeks later. I wonder if something in there delayed it?

Sometimes poo poo just gets stuck somewhere in between you and the merchant. I've had it happen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I placed two Kino orders on the first two days of the sale and the first shipped immediately but the second didn’t ship until Monday and arrived yesterday. Not too terrible, all things considered.

Definitely not as bad as Severin. That’s basically my benchmark for boutique labels from now to eternity.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does Arrow do periodic sales (e.g., like Criterion does with B&N or even their 24h flash sales)? And if so, when do they usually hold them?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Does Arrow do periodic sales (e.g., like Criterion does with B&N or even their 24h flash sales)? And if so, when do they usually hold them?

Every so often, including on their website. There's usually one on or around public holidays, at the very least.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

GrandpaPants posted:

i don't know if it's standard procedure, but I know that Arrow blurays were half off at Barnes and Noble during the most recent Criterion sale too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=30449

well poo poo

quote:

Shout Factory has revealed that it is preparing a 4K Blu-ray release of Joel and Ethan Coen's Fargo (1996), starring Frances McDormand, William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi, Harve Presnell, and Peter Stormare. The release is expected to arrive on the market this summer.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

There's a couple I've skipped that I'm going to go back n pick up since I've enjoyed the others I've watched. Shatter Dead was amazing while the others ive watched have all been goofy fun st the least
If, like 90% of goons, you are in your early 40s and went to an American public high school, you should definitely have Duck! in your collection. It's (so far) the only comedy Saturn's Core have released, and it's basically GBS: The Movie.

I'm watching Red Spirit Lake right now. There sure are a lot of dicks in this movie!

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 9, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I have a spare MoviesAnywhere code for Many Saints of Newark, PM me if anyone wants it

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Are Blu ray players that upscale to 4k worth it over a non upscaling one? I'm using a LG CX

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I can’t imagine it matters that much whether it’s upscale by the player or the TV. Maybe minor differences due to the software each one uses?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So annoyed. I put in an order for the Robocop 4k w/ Arrow on the first day they announced it, and now I'm getting notices about "significant delays." Anyone else receive this?

I'm pretty close to canceling and just ordering from Best Buy.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I got mine from Best Buy and they already shipped it out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

So annoyed. I put in an order for the Robocop 4k w/ Arrow on the first day they announced it, and now I'm getting notices about "significant delays." Anyone else receive this?

I ordered mine from Amazon and I got a delivery estimate email a few weeks ago that said my new delivery date was 4/12, so it should be shipping within the next day or 2 I'd imagine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

I ordered mine from Amazon and I got a delivery estimate email a few weeks ago that said my new delivery date was 4/12, so it should be shipping within the next day or 2 I'd imagine.

4:12 watch Robocop every day.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just got Robocop on Blu-ray a couple Christmases ago. So not even a year and a half yet. But it’s Robocop, one of the most important films of our time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Same so I'm guessing it's not a specific order issue and everyone's having this problem.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I just got Robocop on Blu-ray a couple Christmases ago. So not even a year and a half yet. But it’s Robocop, one of the most important films of our time.

Yeah, this is like the 5th time I've bought the movie (Criterion DVD, First Blu-Ray, Remastered Directors Cut blu-ray, Arrow Blu-Ray, Arrow 4K). In a thread ages ago, I stated you can dislike a lot of movies I like, but if you don't like Robocop then your opinions suck. I stand by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A message to everyone out there who doesn't like RoboCop:

Bitches leave.