Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I personally hope they pivot to broodier Lan at the beginning of next season, like he views his attachment to Nynaeve as part of why he missed Moiraine leaving and everything that resulted from that -- if they want to continue his conflict between romance and duty I think that's the logical place to go

Altho if they did that I wish they'd done their heart to heart in season 2, like I'm writing fanfic at this point but Lan gets back to Fal Dara, pointedly avoids Nynaeve, she corners him and that's when he delivers the "man who will make you happy" speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

New release on GoG today.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_wheel_of_time

Now everyone can try out the game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Amazing

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Something closer to book Lan would've been great on screen. He's not at all emotionless in the books, instead he's a barely contained cauldron of constant death and grimness. There are plenty of great characters like that on shows and in movies. But to pull it off would require actual skill and subtlety in the writing, which... isn't really what the show has gone in for so far. Like most other things in the show, the path they decided to take with the character was a simplified and more accessible version, instead of the slow burn reveal approach the books tend to take to things.
Lan is a super important character in the first two books (even though he's only briefly present in book 2) so it's a shame IMO but it's by no means a disaster. Dan Henny is great and they included some of the decent writing from the book instead of going 100% invent everything - so that kind of makes up for it.

Mage_Boy posted:

New release on GoG today.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_wheel_of_time

Now everyone can try out the game.
drat. That prologue vid is actually a pretty great summary/intro, well written.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah hopefully Show-Lan can evolve more into Book-Lan over time.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It's WoT Wednesday that means it's time for more S2 news.

wotseries.com posted:

Actor Laia Costa will be part of The Wheel of Time for season two. Her role is that of “Magdalena.” However, since there is no character by the name of Magdalena in the books, we suspect that this may either be a code name for another character or a new character for the TV show. Other details regarding Costa’s role and information about when she filmed is currently unknown.

I vote for the codename theory. I went to follow this lovely young lady on the gram and Judkins is following her. Most of the cast follows each other and stuff but Judkins is not a big social media user so for him to follow somebody makes me think she's more than just a rando side character.

https://www.wotseries.com/2022/04/06/scoop-laia-costa-joins-season-two-of-the-wheel-of-time/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Magdalena isn't so far removed from Moghedien.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Some folks are thinking Berelain as well :swoon:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/blaugranaana/status/1511767048904482829

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

She is very pretty and I am digging how they are bringing in these Spanish actors

Rafe you may continue but remember what I said about Rand's joke to the Aiel

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hexel posted:

Some folks are thinking Berelain as well :swoon:

She does seem to fit Bererlain pretty well, with her supposed to be a young ruler who happens to be a very attractive woman.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There are no ugly people in WoT. If they really wanted to show diversity they’d uggo it up a bunch.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Who will play Hessalam

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't think book Lan would work as well in the show just because of the kind of fight scenes they had the budget for. Book Lan's whole thing is that he's the untouchable silent avatar of death, and in a series like this you've got to actually show that.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hexel posted:

makes me think she's more than just a rando side character

Adding onto this it looks like the info was captured from her CV

And support for the codename theory is that Judkins does not follow Izuka Hoyle, the rando side character they created for episode 3

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ego Trip posted:

I was thinking about how number of lines ties into size of part and casting. Can you get Daniel Henney on silent badass book Lan?

Not really because so much of the description of people in the book all happens in the PoV's head.

For example, "his eyes turned hard" isn't a thing you can actually do in a TV show. No one's eyes turn hard. That's something someone might think based on lots of body language and emoting on their face, but two viewers will have two different reads on those signals and come to different conclusions.

And that poo poo would get really messy after a while.

There are LOTS of things in the book that are shared with the reader via the PoV character's feelings about other characters reactions to things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reminds me of a thing I read some years ago about the proliferation of the word "grimly"

Like how it isn't actually a thing to "laugh grimly", like literally try it

(I mean I can kinda get the idea but the point was that books of the time were just doing eeeeeeeverything "grimly" including things that were just loving nonsensical to picture, like "he leapt up grimly" etc)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Reminds me of a thing I read some years ago about the proliferation of the word "grimly"

(I mean I can kinda get the idea but the point was that books of the time were just doing eeeeeeeverything "grimly" including things that were just loving nonsensical to picture, like "he leapt up grimly" etc)

I don't have an example so I can't double check, but isn't there a number of things like this that are literally impossible? Like "he looked to his side without taking his eyes off so and so" kind of stuff?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He reeled. He steadied himself to have another clear look at it. It still said "Arthur Dent", so he reeled again.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Khizan posted:

I don't think book Lan would work as well in the show just because of the kind of fight scenes they had the budget for. Book Lan's whole thing is that he's the untouchable silent avatar of death, and in a series like this you've got to actually show that.

Idk man look at dredd

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

I mean, it was a fad for a while there, even if everyone forgot about it.

Oh wait, that's Grimley.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Is it ever expounded on why Semirhage assassinated the seanchan royal family?

It seems a lot of effort to go to just to set Suroth up as a puppet ruler :psyduck:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It wasn't about setting up Suroth.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Just making chaos in the world was the idea I imagine. Say what you will about the Seanchan, but they weren't Darkfriends and having the entire Empire in the Last Battle was probably worth avoiding.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hexel posted:

It seems a lot of effort to go to just to set Suroth up as a puppet ruler :psyduck:

Trying to cause as much chaos as possible. The Seanchan were arguably the single most powerful military in the world (depending on how Shara stacks up) and causing that to fracture into a billion squabbling factions killing each other right before the last battle was uh not good for the anti-Dark One forces on a pure military level.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Zore posted:

Trying to cause as much chaos as possible. The Seanchan were arguably the single most powerful military in the world (depending on how Shara stacks up) and causing that to fracture into a billion squabbling factions killing each other right before the last battle was uh not good for the anti-Dark One forces on a pure military level.

Shara strikes me as a bit more primitive than the other nations of Randland mostly from the Demandred short story from the Unfettered anthology.

Like if the Seanchan are the British Empire then Shara is like the Aztecs.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hexel posted:

The ideal tactic for the Last Battle was to subvert the Seanchan forces onto the DO's side, a la Shara.

Failing that(and she did, with Suroth's downfall), the next best option is to throw the empire into chaos, which she did.

It was pretty smartly handled. The Forsaken are all fuckups but she's near the top in terms of usefulness

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

The ideal tactic for the Last Battle was to subvert the Seanchan forces onto the DO's side, a la Shara.

Failing that(and she did, with Suroth's downfall), the next best option is to throw the empire into chaos, which she did.

It was pretty smartly handled. The Forsaken are all fuckups but she's near the top in terms of usefulness

Yeah not her fault she couldn't anticipate Rand being able to TP her.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Barreft posted:

Yeah not her fault she couldn't anticipate Rand being able to TP her.

I swear I remember a part of the books where Semirhage muses to herself about sharah and how she won't be sacrificed to turn the Fisher but I'm damned if I can find it. Help me out?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I swear I remember a part of the books where Semirhage muses to herself about sharah and how she won't be sacrificed to turn the Fisher but I'm damned if I can find it. Help me out?

She has a POV or two in Lord of Chaos where I think I recall that being mentioned, in the early chapters?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
I feel like Lan needed to be updated for the show because his book character is tied into the conception of gender that people had 30 years ago that Jordan was critiquing. Lan is stoic, hard, emotionless, toxic masculinity. That's ultimately presented as a bad thing in the books, but that's a whole arc that Jordan has to deliberately lead the reader through because most of the audience back then would have also shared Lan's ideal of masculinity to start with. But nowadays, a lot fewer people buy into that ideal, so it's not as relevant and compelling as an emotional hook. And in a narrative sense, nowadays it would read as a lot more unrealistic if a strong woman like Moiraine partnered with him without calling him on his bullshit. Lan needs to be less emotionally closed-off and more chilled out in order to stay plausible as Moiraine's buddy cop/Nynaeve's love interest to a modern audience.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Lan kind of served as a mirror of and "false mentor" to Rand, which is an entire thing the show seems to be dropping.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I feel like Lan needed to be updated for the show because his book character is tied into the conception of gender that people had 30 years ago that Jordan was critiquing. Lan is stoic, hard, emotionless, toxic masculinity. That's ultimately presented as a bad thing in the books, but that's a whole arc that Jordan has to deliberately lead the reader through because most of the audience back then would have also shared Lan's ideal of masculinity to start with. But nowadays, a lot fewer people buy into that ideal, so it's not as relevant and compelling as an emotional hook. And in a narrative sense, nowadays it would read as a lot more unrealistic if a strong woman like Moiraine partnered with him without calling him on his bullshit. Lan needs to be less emotionally closed-off and more chilled out in order to stay plausible as Moiraine's buddy cop/Nynaeve's love interest to a modern audience.
Except no. Moiraine isn't actually any better than Lan about being expressing her emotions, her facade is just serentiy while his is depression, they're great partners. And Lan's walls crumble immediately when he's dealing with Nyneave directly.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

RandomReader posted:

Except no. Moiraine isn't actually any better than Lan about being expressing her emotions, her facade is just serentiy while his is depression, they're great partners. And Lan's walls crumble immediately when he's dealing with Nyneave directly.

Which is something else the show changed, and for the better if you ask me, since Moiraine never shows as much emotion throughout the whole book series as she did in the one scene in the show with Siuan.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

RandomReader posted:

She seems fine calling Lan out for his, though, which is what was being said. Aes Sedai, being hypocritical? In *my* Wheel of Time?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Yeah but at least with the Jordan version there was something to critique. Lan in the TV show just seems like a smart, emotionally intelligent warrior. That's a little boring tbh

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

silvergoose posted:

She seems fine calling Lan out for his, though, which is what was being said. Aes Sedai, being hypocritical? In *my* Wheel of Time?
once? everything else was internal in their POVs I think.

I think the focusing on famous actor warder with the made up TV plot was a mistake since lan intersects with the EF5 quite a bit and if character development needed to be done in a more *modern* approach it could have been done there. As it was airing the defense was that we needed to know how big of a loses moraine would be, but it 1) looks like she's being lost in a different manner vs books and 2) I guess we're to believe Lan would just gut himself instead of continuing his war, that we know nothing of, in the blight, which looks like rear end.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
How did Moghedien not free herself? She wasn't watched and before Egwene showed up nobody was even wearing the bracelet half of the time. She could have walked up to any of the thousands of soldiers in the camp and said hey my necklace is stuck, can you help me get it off?

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

uPen posted:

How did Moghedien not free herself? She wasn't watched and before Egwene showed up nobody was even wearing the bracelet half of the time. She could have walked up to any of the thousands of soldiers in the camp and said hey my necklace is stuck, can you help me get it off?

She can't touch the bracelet or move far away from it. Otherwise any damane could just walk out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Pretty sure "THOU SHALT NOT TRY TO ESCAPE" is a built-in function for the a'dam, just like the aversion to weapons.