Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Yea she’s been much better ever since she was reintroduced after being written out of the story entirely for like 2 years real time. There’s a reason that this specific incident is causing such a wave of posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Galick posted:

What's hilarious about Forge/Threads is that Ling Qi is obscenely lucky. Her dice rolls on the thread have been ridiculous, and the other characters comment about Lucky Ling Qi not infrequently...and she's still climbing to stand -by- her peers, she doesn't measure up yet at all.

Well, I think Yrs had to rebalance the cultivation mechanics a couple of times to make sure of that. :laugh:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"Ryoka Griffin took one moment to reflect upon her failings on her journey to meet the Archmage of Memory."

Well, it's up.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
lol. lmao.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
lol

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

Seriously though I absolutely love how Ryoka spent several volumes learning and growing, recognizing her former self-destructive behavior, and being shown how her impulse to take every single burden for herself is not just self-abuse but also an extremely bad way to actually solve problems and starting to integrate those lessons into how she behaved.

All of it to lead up to this moment where it turns out she's learned exactly the wrong lesson from literally everything that has happened to her. Bravo ryoka bravo.

hell yeah

Bremen posted:

These spoilers are doing a good job of convincing me that what got me to drop TWI (Ryouka :argh:) isn't going to suddenly get better if I keep reading.
That character really grows on you, and gets good and cool to read, and the latest chapter loving owns.

Seriously though, that character has had some of the best extended sequences in the entire series and they're entirely worth, to me, putting up with the early days of being a grating poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ryoka ftw. Even her early chapters are great. That's how it feels when you technically have working social instincts but still somehow manage to gently caress everything up lol.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The conversation with Erin about their voting choices in the 2016 election so brilliantly conveyed how Ryoka is the worst. An impressive person so convinced of her superiority that she does the wrong thing whenever it matters.

That said I dropped TWI at the beginning of book two when she suddenly became bad at magic for no reason. It was so abrupt and poorly justified.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wittgen posted:

The conversation with Erin about their voting choices in the 2016 election so brilliantly conveyed how Ryoka is the worst. An impressive person so convinced of her superiority that she does the wrong thing whenever it matters.

That said I dropped TWI at the beginning of book two when she suddenly became bad at magic for no reason. It was so abrupt and poorly justified.

Ryoka's bad at traditional TWI magic because she's not a [Mage], but good at other types

that's part of her journey as someone without levels / class, trying to stand up in a world where strength is almost completely determined by class / levels (making allowances for half giants etc :biotruths: )

the other part of her journey is her seeing consequences for the monumentally stupid decisions she continues to make.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

tithin posted:

Ryoka's bad at traditional TWI magic because she's not a [Mage], but good at other types

that's part of her journey as someone without levels / class, trying to stand up in a world where strength is almost completely determined by class / levels (making allowances for half giants etc :biotruths: )

the other part of her journey is her seeing consequences for the monumentally stupid decisions she continues to make.

Did TWI change its mind about that again? End of book 1 Ryoka was pretty promising amateur at magic. Then at end of book 2 she suddenly thinks it's scientifically impossible, so therefore she stops being able to do magic. Does she change her mind again and learn magic? lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She learns fey magic, which is completely different than the normal magic [Mages] use and is all about being friends with the wind.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Wittgen posted:

Did TWI change its mind about that again? End of book 1 Ryoka was pretty promising amateur at magic. Then at end of book 2 she suddenly thinks it's scientifically impossible, so therefore she stops being able to do magic. Does she change her mind again and learn magic? lol

I don't remember Ryoka being initially good at magic, she flat out turned down every class offered and she spent all her time running normally. She did learn some magic from the magic primer (I think light and fire) but it's mostly been "true" magic she learnt from Ivoleth.

That said there were some pretty significant changes from the first volume (like religion/priests being maybe a thing) so maybe I'm just misremembering

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

lmao (TWI 8.74) Well that's one way to make the potential relationship between Tyrion and Ryoka less creepy, I guess? Still incredibly funny.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

An impeccable superlative chapter

Infinity Gaia posted:

lmao (TWI 8.74) Well that's one way to make the potential relationship between Tyrion and Ryoka less creepy, I guess? Still incredibly funny.

yea lol

on the upside, a possible solution to the Teriarch / Eldavin problem

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Has anyone read A Queen's Conquest (ASOIAF SI) on SpaceBattles, and knows if it gets better? It's interesting and well-written, I do like who the authors describes how someone who wakes up to find themselves in another's body in another world would react, the MC is a mess make sense, but she shows no signs of getting better. Is the whole story going to be her hating herself and throwing a fit around her "new" family?

It's weird, the author does a good job of describing the terror the MC should feel when they have to pretend they're somebody they're not around people who know to "real" her, but she keeps letting her anger get the best of her and making mistakes even as she recognizes that.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 19, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I burned though millennial mage in the past few days, i found it entertaining and well written but as it is absolutely progression fantasy and the main character’s a prodigy at anything she does and the world warps around her to line her up with success in every way.

The receptionist she meets for the first time is actually a highly competent manager who just happened to be filling in that day, introduces her to a world-renowned artist-surgeon with a bevy of underlings that handle 999/1000 of requests, gets outfitted with highly experimental tattoos that would be fatal for everyone except her specific weird circumstance, on her first “mission” befriends or is befriended by a several hundred year old ultra powerful bird who becomes basically a familiar over a handful of days, and yeah not once has she ever had money problems. Oh her tattoos also let her eat as much food as she wants, she has some unheard of form of magic, she’s super strong and of course very shapely with a number of striking features. Everyone she meets is more than willing to help in anything she desires and her only antagonist is nature and the man-made systems which she is certain to shatter within the year.

This is not to say I don’t like the story, I do very much but it’s not struggle fiction in any way, it’s escapist power protagonist fiction like Ar’k and ghosthound.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
TWI: Ryoka Griffin dropped, stabbing,

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
TUTBAD 89: well that’s not ominous or anything. Also, I wanna know if the instruments are entads too. Turn the misfit dungeoneering corps into a rock band!

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Whats the point of Amazons rule to remove content from Royal Road two weeks before release ? Just got caught up to 'He who fights with Monsters', Book 4, and now I cant continue reading on either side until it comes out, which makes me unhappy with both, and more likely to give up on it.

I could understand it for new Series maybe, but to just break apart a series in the middle of it makes no sense to me.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Yeah it's typical that after something is turned over to the prod team there is a window where production has it before it goes on sale. What's new here is that you can see when the author turns it over.

Anias fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 25, 2022

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Some authors will give away EPUB or PDF of their books when this happens, usually for patreon members or whatever method they use to make direct money.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Kalas posted:

Some authors will give away EPUB or PDF of their books when this happens, usually for patreon members or whatever method they use to make direct money.

Thanks for the tip, book 5 was actually available as pdf in just the 1$ patreon.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Fraerling story in TWI is boring, so very boring.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Peachfart posted:

The Fraerling story in TWI is boring, so very boring.

it's very much got the making of a setup chapter of an arc that delivers like hell.

Unfortunately even the boring setup chapters are 30k words now lol

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm enjoying the fraerling chapters, however, I'm not gonna lie, I'm skimming like crazy on them

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I like the Luan and UN parts but I don't think I had any idea who any of the fraerlings with Foliana were. Wasn't very eager to go back to Baleros considering pirate said they're expecting to finish the volume by this month, but it won the polls, so whatcha gonna do I guess

signim balls

edit:
new poll options are :discourse: :getin:

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 30, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TUTBAD 91: mizuki is going to be in a straightup breakdown and utter panic if the party takes a week to fully empty the dungeon

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Re: Trailer Trash is cultivation now.

“Hmph, she has eyes but can’t even see the Appalachians!”

And yes, My Immortal is key.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The last two chapters of Paranoid Mage were kind of disappointing when taken together MC was put in a bind and immediately resolved it, resulting in no change from before.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I'm fine with how it went, the story showed how he went about implanting the escape chip and that they did check for one, but that they missed it, building on the reoccurring theme that the GAR is so entrenched in its own culture that its completely unprepared for someone colouring outside the lines and leveraging mundane knowledge.
it also had the knock on effect of them becoming convinced he's operating as a team, because to them the idea of someone just not having even the most basic shielding leads to the impression his capture was intentional. drawing more attention to him.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm feeling very brave today, so here's the story I wrote for Nano. I'm continuing it for April and the Writathon. Please be kind, but feel free to point out any weird spelling or double words words in the comments.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/48084/crests-the-skies-a-story-about-a-dragon-amongst

It's a series of moments in peoples lives, somewhat interlinked but not really. I wanted to write something where nobody got hurt, as well as something that wasn't about Nobility or War. I've never written anything before and ahhhh I'm just gonna hit submit reply and run.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TUTBAD 92: GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

now if only verity and isra could actually have a conversation about their relationship instead of just kissing each other :allears:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm feeling very brave today, so here's the story I wrote for Nano. I'm continuing it for April and the Writathon. Please be kind, but feel free to point out any weird spelling or double words words in the comments.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/48084/crests-the-skies-a-story-about-a-dragon-amongst

It's a series of moments in peoples lives, somewhat interlinked but not really. I wanted to write something where nobody got hurt, as well as something that wasn't about Nobility or War. I've never written anything before and ahhhh I'm just gonna hit submit reply and run.

I gave it a read!

It's pretty cute, I liked it. It's obviously work of someone still working on their craft, but I think you've got promise. Keep at it!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I somehow missed the couple of chapters that Re: Trailer Trash did for April Fools, and they are hilarious.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Huh, I saw the first one but Royalroad didn't bump it to the top of my follow list when the second part came out, and apparently there's a new actual chapter too? It also didn't notify me, but it's working for all the other serials. Thanks for the heads-up :v:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Tigu raised an eyebrow at the display of defiance.

“Oh? You dare?”

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

I gave it a read!

It's pretty cute, I liked it. It's obviously work of someone still working on their craft, but I think you've got promise. Keep at it!

Thankyou, it means a lot! :3: I've been going back and editing the first chapters now that I'm motivated but less burnt out and not under the same pressure as I was in November. Getting better about advertising, too.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

TUTBAD 93: Mizuki :allears:

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Anyone that's following know what happened with When Immortal Ascension Fails story 6? The whole thing disappeared off RR last week and I assumed it was April fool's but it's still gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Kyoujin posted:

Anyone that's following know what happened with When Immortal Ascension Fails story 6? The whole thing disappeared off RR last week and I assumed it was April fool's but it's still gone.

Select volume 2