Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

No, the roads are from before the war :v:

a classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1512202757163335687?s=20&t=kNgUmkn8VWJrdaHhF3nH5Q

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1512186497738461184?s=20&t=kNgUmkn8VWJrdaHhF3nH5Q

The Tomb of the Unknown Trucks

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Is it tanks or journalist tanks (Marder IFVs, 100 of which have been delayed for days now)?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
This seems like a positive development. Modern equipment should help the Ukrainians go on the offensive rather than just hit a wall with the Russians.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1512158447491551233

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

This seems like a positive development. Modern equipment should help the Ukrainians go on the offensive rather than just hit a wall with the Russians.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1512158447491551233

I wonder if this is suggestive of NATO willingness to allow ukrainian membership after the war

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Russian flag isn’t that big though. The real meat would be Russian owned vessels, under flags of convenience. Another better thing to hit would be vessel operating companies and vessel crewing companies.

In regards to aviation, Canada was exceptionally thorough.

quote:

ALL ACFT, REGARDLESS OF THE STATE OF REGISTRY, DIRECTLY OR
INDIRECTLY OWNED, CHARTERED, LEASED, OPERATED OR OTHERWISE
CONTROLLED BY A PERSON CONNECTED WITH EITHER THE RUSSIAN
FEDERATION OR OF BELARUS OR BY A CORPORATION OR ENTITY THAT IS
INCORPORATED OR FORMED UNDER THE LAWS OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
OR BELARUS, AND ALL OPERATORS HOLDING AN AIR OPERATOR CERTIFICATE
(AOC) ISSUED BY RUSSIAN FEDERATION AND/OR BELARUSIAN AUTHORITIES
ARE PROHIBITED TO ENTER, EXIT OR OVERFLY CANADA'S TERRITORIAL
AIRSPACE (INCLUDING FLT WITHIN 12NM OF CANADA'S COASTS).
EXCEPTIONS PERMITTED FOR ACFT EXPERIENCING INFLIGHT EMERG.

No one even knows quite what it means legally speaking, as far as I can tell (what is "a person connected with the Russian Federation"?) but we've decided to shoot first and ask questions later. Theoretically this means a Russian-Canadian dual citizen is forbidden from acting as a pilot in any sense or chartering a plane, and possibly even someone who was born in Russia but renounced citizenship.

Transport Canada is basically like "well, gently caress around and find out, b'ys!"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Despera posted:

I wonder if this is suggestive of NATO willingness to allow ukrainian membership after the war

One step removed, that situation is getting increasingly absurd. Ukrainian military quite easily would be top 5, if not top 3 conventional force in NATO, and could kick some real rear end with direct access to the full extent of NATO gear. NATO decision makers have no doubt noticed that as well, even if it’s a broadly useless observation for them in the short or medium-term future.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

FishBulbia posted:

Looks like they used some of those big bombs they said they would

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1512141550071033857

I bet that road/car park is feeling really owned right now. It would be a shame if Russian forces needed to advance through there at some point and got stuck behind the giant hole in the ground.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If anything, it's impressive the pothole isn't like 5 times bigger in 2018

Despera posted:

Probably depends on how this ends. Hopefully we get the big guns soon to wrap it up.

On the ground in the red forest trenches:
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1512194930491510787

Yep they acually did it. Would be interesting to see the actual measurements from what they dug up.

Now you're hosed buddy!
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 8, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

PT6A posted:

Transport Canada is basically like "well, gently caress around and find out, b'ys!"

Would you say they said "hosed aboot and found oot?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Despera posted:

Would you say they said "hosed aboot and found oot?"

No I went for the Newfie accent instead. I don't think TC is run by Newfoundlanders but it just felt right, somehow.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Is it tanks or journalist tanks (Marder IFVs, 100 of which have been delayed for days now)?

https://www.politico.eu/article/scholz-holds-up-german-tank-delivery-to-ukraine/

quote:

Ukraine’s ambassador to Germany, Andriy Melnyk, told Deutschlandfunk radio on Thursday that Kyiv is “expecting” Berlin to deliver Marder and Leopard tanks, as well as the anti-aircraft “Gepard” tank.

“The lists are there, the German government knows about them, but unfortunately it remains silent until today,” Melnyk said.

Usually Germans and list are a lethal combination.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The Marders they’re talking about are the same Marders that Germany originally declined to ship because they said they were NATO inventory and they needed them. It later came out that the Marders Ukraine wanted to buy had been declared surplus and were scheduled to be scrapped because the units using them had received the new Puma IFV.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

On the ground in the red forest trenches:

Video posted:

"did you check the dogs?"
"it's useless the device will break"
The dogs looked so happy and friendly too.
:smith:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

PT6A posted:

In regards to aviation, Canada was exceptionally thorough.

No one even knows quite what it means legally speaking, as far as I can tell (what is "a person connected with the Russian Federation"?) but we've decided to shoot first and ask questions later. Theoretically this means a Russian-Canadian dual citizen is forbidden from acting as a pilot in any sense or chartering a plane, and possibly even someone who was born in Russia but renounced citizenship.

That is a very satisfying bit of legalese :stwoon:

Also light post - I hadn't seen this particular tractor pull before.
https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1512189235654275081?s=20&t=R7GWYLgGjR6BDTHu8LNNqQ
The whole thread is just of Ukrainian tractors pulling various Russian things :allears:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

I know we laugh, but this is also a euphemism for their armed forces after modernization

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

I know we laugh, but this is also a euphemism for their armed forces after modernization

Slovenia's? (Though it feels likely whoever made this used the wrong flag).

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Unless the sanctions collapse random apartment blocks in Moscow, they are still getting off light.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Honestly? It's not. gently caress the oligarchs, but I don't have a problem with "people connected with Russia" as expressed in the NOTAM. I work as a flight instructor, and we don't deal in visas, meaning that all our students are citizens, permanent residents, or have a visa that's not connected with us in any way. I've had students from Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan*, Hong Kong, Cyprus. and the UK in addition to people who had Canadian citizenship at birth. What business is it of theirs or mine if their government goes fuckin' nuts? What does "connected" even mean? I'm "connected" with Germany in that I have family members who live there; if Germany acted a horse's rear end, could I be forbidden to work as a pilot?

* Not important or relevant, but my Afghanistan-born student was indeed an absolute nut, we kicked him out, but not for the reasons you might assume... he was Canadian by birth, extremely evangelical Christian to the point we punted him for weird sexual harassment related to asking women if they were virgins, and I suspect he was an unintended casualty of the massive amounts of drugs consumed on the overland before that became an impossibility, because there was something deeply wrong with that guy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crow Buddy posted:

Unless the sanctions collapse random apartment blocks in Moscow, they are still getting off light.

i mean if they keep losing they might just do that themselves like they before the 2nd Chechen war to bullshit up an excuse to to to general mobilization.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Honestly? It's not. gently caress the oligarchs, but I don't have a problem with "people connected with Russia" as expressed in the NOTAM. I work as a flight instructor, and we don't deal in visas, meaning that all our students are citizens, permanent residents, or have a visa that's not connected with us in any way. I've had students from Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan*, Hong Kong, Cyprus. and the UK in addition to people who had Canadian citizenship at birth. What business is it of theirs or mine if their government goes fuckin' nuts? What does "connected" even mean? I'm "connected" with Germany in that I have family members who live there; if Germany acted a horse's rear end, could I be forbidden to work as a pilot?

Yeah it's way too open to interpretation. I get they are trying to close off loopholes and sanctions can be a blunt tool at the best of times but they should clarify what it means for dual citizens and people with family connections.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Crow Buddy posted:

While they're going to get off light compared to the Ukrainian front lines, I'm still going to preserve some sympathy for the people left in Russia. Unfortunately, with how much doubling down the Kremlin is doing, I suspect it's going to continue on its track until military and economic collapse proceeds to the point where the Kremlin is unable to effectively govern its country anymore. I don't know what exactly happens in the chaos after that, but I don't expect it to be very pleasant.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Zelensky's address tonight was an absolute top-tier banger, Churchill-level stuff.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcEO67JF8nL/ (also on Facebook and Telegram)

Zelensky posted:

We have always been like that... We have always been brave. The bravest in the world. I am sure of that. Because who else would do what Ukrainians do? Who else had so much courage to constantly fight against any manifestations of tyranny and defend freedom? In every election, in revolutions and in war. Who else had the courage to fight against all Russian forces on land, in the air and at sea? Who else had the courage to go unarmed against Russian armored vehicles where the Russians temporarily managed to seize something? Who else had the courage to tell the world that hypocrisy is a bad weapon? And not just to tell, but to convince and restore honesty in the world. Who else had the courage to persuade the largest global companies to forget about accounting and recall morality? And to teach all political leaders - whatever they are - to be at least a little Ukrainian... At least a little brave.

In fact, this is our identity. This is what it means to be us. To be Ukrainians. To be brave.

If everyone in the world had at least ten percent of the courage that we Ukrainians have, there would be no danger to international law at all. There would be no danger to the freedom of the nations. We will spread our courage. We will start a special global campaign. We will teach the world to be not just a little bit, but full of courage. Like us, like Ukrainians.
Even in translation that is some incredible wordsmithing.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Also light post - I hadn't seen this particular tractor pull before.
https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1512189235654275081?s=20&t=R7GWYLgGjR6BDTHu8LNNqQ
The whole thread is just of Ukrainian tractors pulling various Russian things :allears:

Ukrainian farmers are now technically the fifth largest mechanized army on Earth.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Testing phase for release of tanks

The commissioned tank test engineer coordinates the course of the tank test, in particular with regard to the determination of the test location and the coordination of dates with the applicant.
After the tank test has been completed, a test report (deviation report) is prepared and submitted to the Certification Body.
The Certification Body evaluates the test and sends the report together with the invoice to the client. If deviations were found during the test, the report will request the necessary evidence.
In the event of significant deviations, a subsequent inspection will be carried out at the client's expense.

Certification phase

A certification decision is made based on a certification report regarding tank operator competence.
In the event of a negative decision, a written statement of reasons will be provided to the client. If the evaluation is positive, the certificate is issued.
Each tank operator must carry this certification when driving or fighting the vehicle.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Moon Slayer posted:

Ukrainian farmers are now technically the fifth largest mechanized army on Earth.

Next phase of the war takes place in the part of Ukraine with the highest density of tractors so whatever else happens the tank harvest will be bountiful

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Risky Bisquick posted:

This is known Slavic medicine, juice of onion cures any ailment. If you are not cured you were simply not sick!

It's a farmer thing. My wife's grandfather used to do the same thing. He was Irish-American.

Caros
May 14, 2008

In all fairness to the road workers, I imagine it is fairly hard to fix a pot hole so thoroughly stuck in space-time that even the lose stones within it don't move over the course of twenty seven years.

Good on the photographer for making sure that he went through all the effort to match up to the original lighting down to even minute shadows though.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1512236210835664939?s=20&t=dH06Zo0JSocbdwVBRxmRVA

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1512237089487826961?s=20&t=dH06Zo0JSocbdwVBRxmRVA

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Roger Waters' take on this has been disappointing. Basically saying that giving arms to the Ukrainians only prolongs the war and the suffering, mentions the Azov Battalions, and says he hopes that Zelensky is not a gangster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0aLALNmX_Q&t=5s

My sister worked behind the scenes when Roger was doing his "The Wall" tour and she showed me the posters they had strung up of Roger Waters telling staff not to challenge / question this person (she does ticketing for a lot of big acts so this was quite surprising to her). Truly a man of the people.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

dr_rat posted:

The dogs looked so happy and friendly too.
:smith:

It's not like they're going to get ARS, and for most animals, a moderately higher cancer rate is a bargain price to pay for living in an area void of humanity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Scapegoat posted:

My sister worked behind the scenes when Roger was doing his "The Wall" tour and she showed me the posters they had strung up of Roger Waters telling staff not to challenge / question this person (she does ticketing for a lot of big acts so this was quite surprising to her). Truly a man of the people.

I mean, to be fair, the entire point of the album is his brain is so hosed up that he lapses in and out of fascist thought, and he considers this the natural consequence of the life he's lived and therefore considers he bears no personal responsibility for it in his own mind, so it doesn't seem that surprising.

I think he may have put more of himself into that album than he intended.

EDIT: The politics of that album are legitimately fascinating to me, as I think you can read it so many different ways, and you can only really get a sense of "what it meant" (to those who wrote it) by seeing what a cockend Roger Waters turned into. It's one of my favourite albums and it's meant many different things to me as I grow and evolve.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 8, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Missed this, somehow.

https://twitter.com/davekeating/status/1512030684520591365

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Australia is truly the lucky country.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

I think I remember this is non-binding.

We should really have content (or other) warnings on things that are

- non-binding
- inconsequential (low-impact bans)
- taking effect in the 2060s
- reported by unreliable people/sources
- still need to be ratified
- promised by Germany.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I think I remember this is non-binding.

We should really have content (or other) warnings on things that are

- non-binding
- inconsequential (low-impact bans)
- taking effect in the 2060s
- reported by unreliable people/sources
- still need to be ratified
- promised by Germany.

:matters: tag imo

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Caros posted:

In all fairness to the road workers, I imagine it is fairly hard to fix a pot hole so thoroughly stuck in space-time that even the lose stones within it don't move over the course of twenty seven years.

Good on the photographer for making sure that he went through all the effort to match up to the original lighting down to even minute shadows though.

Also the grass height and distribution (including the patches within the pothole, and the random detritus/patches of sunlight on the mound in the back), tree branch length and position, and even the weathering and separation on the boards of the neighbor's fence and barn.

The clone and smudge tools badly used to hide the tire tracks in the foreground and stretch the background building up to infinity are nice touches, though

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 8, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

i need that for 2024

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

- promised by Germany.

I'm just glad that the US is no longer the world leader in loving over Europe to be best friends with Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

My uncle, who was born in Berlin on the day Hitler invaded the Soviet Union, and lived in West Berlin throughout the partition, would agree. He's absolutely furious at what the German government has done, he's pissed off that they'd ever consider treating Russia like anything less than a venomous snake. He remembers the blockade and the airlift and the people who died trying to cross the Wall. The re-integration of the DDR did not go well, and we're seeing the fruits of that poisonous tree set upon our table today, all while Mutti was appearing so pleasant and wonderful to the rest of the world.