Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PainterofCrap posted:

It's like when I spent six years building my garage.

When it was finally done, I stepped back, admired the handiwork of me and many, many friends and family, and told anyone that would listen:

"I am never loving doing that again."

This is me after assembling my first set of workable 1:35 tank tracks.

Wait poo poo wrong diy thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Are we talking about doing enough drywall that you hate it?

I finished up half of my basement last month, and wow do I hate drywall :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That looks great, but yeah.....drywall gets tiring.

And loving hell I never want to do another cathedral ceiling again. It's not even the ceiling part - the walls (and all the angles) suck a whole lot.

And I didn't even have a proper drywall lift when I did it.

Harbor freight engine crane with some scrap wood jammed into it should be good enough, right? (it totally was......that was the easy part)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
In addition to all that, for a very reasonable amount of money a small crew of drywallers and tapers will show up at your place and complete the work in a couple of days. Like... Complete, with texture or smooth walls.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

In addition to all that, for a very reasonable amount of money a small crew of drywallers and tapers will show up at your place and complete the work in a couple of days. Like... Complete, with texture or smooth walls.

I mean.....if nothing else at least get someone else to tape and mud. Holy hell I continue to do this even though I know better.

Even if you're a perfectionist you can go mess with things when their final coat is done and it's still so much easier and faster. But I'm a masochistic idiot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/__frye/status/1509569758584180742

Technically I think that this is more OSHA thread material, but it reminds me too much of the “above ground” pool in the basement photo.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

StormDrain posted:

A crew actually came by to ask me if I needed someone to mud, but I declined because I don't have the money left to pay them to do it. I was supposed to have enough left to get a good start on the garage but covid pricing happened.

I'm still kicking myself that I didn't just buy a mountain of ABS and insulation and store it in one of my dad's barns along with the nudura block and lumber.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

Technically I think that this is more OSHA thread material, but it reminds me too much of the “above ground” pool in the basement photo.

OSHA notwithstanding: read up on what is involved to keep a salt-water aquarium running. Up-scaling that to shrimp farming? You'd need a small army, the pumping & filtering costs aren't mentioned at all.

This reminds me of the frog-farming pyramid scheme from the 1930s.

e: not to mention the smell

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 8, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wasn't there a BWM thread post about a guy getting kicked out of his apartment for running a shrimp farm in his garage. He had like 4 pools in the garage and the landlord was like nah mate that's damage waiting to happen.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

PainterofCrap posted:

This reminds me of the frog-farming pyramid scheme from the 1930s.

:frogon:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Emu farms were a big thing in the US in the late 90s/early 00s apparently, much to the amusement of any Australian.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Emu farms were a big thing in the US in the late 90s/early 00s apparently, much to the amusement of any Australian.

I don't remember that, but I do remember alpaca being a huge thing. It was sold as basically printing money by raising cute (they ugly as poo poo) animals and selling wool into premium markets for premium prices. So you had to spend a ton of money on the best bloodline of aplaccas.

As I'm sure you've guessed there was no real market for this wool and the only people getting rich were the ones selling and breeding alpacas.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Motronic posted:

I don't remember that, but I do remember alpaca being a huge thing. It was sold as basically printing money by raising cute (they ugly as poo poo) animals and selling wool into premium markets for premium prices. So you had to spend a ton of money on the best bloodline of aplaccas.

As I'm sure you've guessed there was no real market for this wool and the only people getting rich were the ones selling and breeding alpacas.

Alpacas are really good for covering your bits, at least.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

That's got to be a post by the guy selling the equipment, trying to sucker some more idiots into buying his poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Alpacas and llamas tend to hate dogs too, thinking they're wolves.

Wool pays poo poo anyhow unless you have thousands of animals, and even then you'd be lucky to break even.

And don't forget the king of novelty livestock, the american bison. Even Ted Turner bought a herd in the 90s. Bison is tasty, but not $10/lb at kroger tasty.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of my dad's friends had bought into this. I remember the pen that he had and incubators well. He was missing two fingers and my young adult sister asked if an emu bit them. If you're thinking she was too old to asking a question like that you're exactly right.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
So wait how did he lose the fingers then.

edit: i mean I'm all on board the "don't make assumptions about other people's bodies or ask them weird questions" train but if you own a snapping turtle farm for example and you're missing a couple fingers I feel like that's a fair ask.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my personal crossover movie of these events was the time a high-school friend came into the place where I was working to see if we could call the farm down the road because an emu had escaped

after a few minutes of confusion we figured out that she meant to say "llama"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't this what happened to the main character in Tremors 2? He made a bunch of money between movies and then spent it all on emus or ostriches or something.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Motronic posted:

That explains what happened to the multiple alpaca farms around where I used to live. Learn something new every day.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Wool pays poo poo anyhow unless you have thousands of animals, and even then you'd be lucky to break even.
If you're selling to the wool pool. If you're targeting handspinners, you can get $150+ per fleece

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cat Hatter posted:

Wasn't this what happened to the main character in Tremors 2? He made a bunch of money between movies and then spent it all on emus or ostriches or something.

Yes. Earl Bassett's Farm Fresh Emu.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Elise the great has a story about this. Apparently a stray emu just showed up at their house and was briefly a family pet. She never had any idea where it came from until someone mentioned the fad in passing in an unrelated thread.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Elise the great has a story about this. Apparently a stray emu just showed up at their house and was briefly a family pet. She never had any idea where it came from until someone mentioned the fad in passing in an unrelated thread.

I didn't even know of that woman's fantastic stories until the healthcare thread in BFC. The OP includes a fantastic :itwaspoo: anecdote :allears:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Benagain posted:

So wait how did he lose the fingers then.

edit: i mean I'm all on board the "don't make assumptions about other people's bodies or ask them weird questions" train but if you own a snapping turtle farm for example and you're missing a couple fingers I feel like that's a fair ask.

I don't know! Sometimes it seems like I grew up with a different family, I would never ask someone about that and in the end all I remember about this event from 1995 was that she asked the hilarious question.

I also remember they had a motor trike and it was dangerous.

Edit: I know my dad knew him from construction in the 70s and 80s so we can just say it was from a skillsaw with no guard and it's probably true.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Anne Whateley posted:

If you're selling to the wool pool. If you're targeting handspinners, you can get $150+ per fleece

Yeah, I was like... but I've paid $$$ for alpaca fiber?

Anyway, I think I have the right timestamp, but if not go to 7:44 in this video for a really great staircase. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xjxIAs8RWA&t=464s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Alpacas and llamas tend to hate dogs too, thinking they're wolves.

drat. These animals are smarter than YECs.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Growing up in the foothills of the appalachians a couple of those livestock fads swept through since the land wasn’t great for cattle or anything. An old man was famously killed by his ostriches, where were some emu jailbreaks, there was still a bison hybrid operation in the area as kate as the 2010s

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the yeti posted:

An old man was famously killed by his ostriches

Back in the 90s I remember doing a multi week land clearing job somewhere out in central NJ. Not far down the street was an ostrich farm. We met the owner at the local lunch place and got along just great and he invited us over to see the operation.

Those birds are so goddamn mean he had created an egg harvesting vehicle so he didn't get the poo poo beat out of him. It was a VW beetle with no fenders so it could clear 33" mud tires that lifted it up enough to drive over their nests, which are basically in the ground/a bit above. He took out the passenger seat and cut a hole in the floor and installed a shelf for a box. He'd drive over the nest and pick up the eggs while they attacked the VW. It was all even more insane than what I'm able to describe.

E: just remembered, this was all bordering a superfund site where the military had a base or a depot or something where they would simply upend 55 gallon drums of aviation fuel that "went bad" to dump them in the woods for several decades. Could possibly explain the colorful locals.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 9, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I mean, I'm actually pretty sad that ostrich meat is so hard to come by in Canada. Reading up on it, it does seem like South Africa is still producing 60% of ostrich products, but they can't export meat right now due to an avian influenza outbreak. The meat is great - way leaner and denser than beef. A better comparison would be elk or moose.

But also lol that it was a scam / vehicle for scams around the world in the 90s. I did not know that!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Back in the 90s, my parents had their booth at a music festival next to some guys selling ostrich meat and burgers. We wound up taking home a bunch of meat, I can't remember if it was just stuff they couldn't sell or if they traded it for psychic readings. I remember it was tasty, but not much beyond that.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Dareon posted:

Back in the 90s, my parents had their booth at a music festival next to some guys selling ostrich meat and burgers. We wound up taking home a bunch of meat, I can't remember if it was just stuff they couldn't sell or if they traded it for psychic readings. I remember it was tasty, but not much beyond that.

The ostrich meat is the least interesting part of this story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you think that's funny, the way Hank Hill pronounces 'Emu' is loving hilarious.

Motronic posted:

Alpacas do actually have a use for sheep farmers iirc, since they (usually) get along great with sheep and will kick wild dogs to death, so they basically guard flocks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
alpaca:sheep::goose:chickens

Got it.

e:I’m just going to leave the autosmilie.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Is that permanent marker?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A for effort.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Recently stayed at an AirBnB and one bathroom had an interesting take on moulding joints.

It was every joint.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hempuli posted:

Is that permanent marker?

Not digging the armadillo aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Blistex posted:

Not digging the armadillo aesthetic.

What if it had a leprosy component.