Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD75HGV/

The Long Way Down (Daniel Faust #1) by Craig Schaefer - Free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JYIUH8O/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
When is Craig Schaefer's next book out? It's been a while and I'm fiending.

Edit:

Answering my own question:

Craig Schaefer's blog posted:

(updated 3/31/2022)

Down Among the Dead Men (Daniel Faust, book ten): In final edits.

Never Send Roses (Harmony Black, book seven): Outlined, in first draft.

Exciting. More Faust soon.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 9, 2022

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

fritz posted:

Which one?

The Hugo Book Club twitter posted some long screed about hosting the Hugos/Worldcon in Omelas that was very thinly a critique of China hosting, and did not like that it made people uncomfortable and just banned anyone who followed specific accounts that were critical, including several Asian authors who objected, and told their followers to do the same. I'm not even sure I directly interacted with them, just commented on them in a separate thread but still got the block

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Well, that's Goblet of Fire down. That book currently sets the Harry Potter record for "Most separate monologues explaining off-camera mysteries" for any book in the series yet.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Sharp Ends: Stories from the World of the First Law by Joe Abercrombie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013HA6W92/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today I found and bought Caleb Carr's "The Legend of Broken" from a used bookstore - it is wild to me to find a one-volume fantasy epic from an author who sold a best-seller (the Alienist) and yet I've heard nothing about this? Has anyone read this book?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nope. Let me know if it's good though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nope. Let me know if it's good though.

It's like 600 pages + 80 pages of footnotes so this is gonna take a while.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing I have, it's time.

Finished book 3 of Tales From the Gas Station and I've enjoyed the series. It reminds me of those books by Koontz where the dude has that genetic disorder where he has to stay out of the sun. Weird poo poo happens, and the gas station dude is the guy who it happens around. No sun disease though.

Book 4 isn't on KU so I'm gonna do a reread of the space team series instead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Legend of Broken early trip report:

The author presents: back in the Dark/Medieval ages, when Rome was in its ongoing collapse and before any central authority existed in Europe, in the middle of what would become Germany there was a region called "Broken" - brocken? he talks about linguistics and spelling a lot - and that he's "found" a manuscript written by an anonymous author who witnessed a weird history there.

Standard found footage, right? Well, the author takes it above and beyond: he includes commentary/discussion on the manuscript in fictitious letters between actual historians Gibbon and Burke, and - and! - 80 goddamn pages of footnotes that interleve actual history with fiction as he dives into any details in the manuscript he wanted to talk about.

The manuscript itself opens with "hey check out these hobbits - no they're not hobbits or elves or dwarves clearly they're my new fancy small people, called Bane" and a fancy, meandering tone. It's weird and neat and I don't know if it feels authentic, but I'm enjoying it. (And the footnote that dug into "well clearly these people are small because of inbreeding, but also... what if there was a homo floresiensis? And the author is clear to be all "this isn't historical, but it's fun"

It's weird, and I think I like it so far? At the very least I appreciate the amount of work the author put into this thing.

I'd class it similarly to Mary Gentle's Ash so far, but definitely less grimdark/conspiracy-y. But that same mixture of history/not. I'm also feeling like the ER Eddison trilogy "Zimiamvia", what with the huge amount of footnotes and the almost historical feel to it despite being Not Real.

Hell, toss in Lord of the Rings for bonus long, full of footnotes, maybe historical??? and yet definitely not real. I don't think this is up there, but it's a pleasant feeling to find something in that same genre!

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

There was some kind of wizard book I read about in this thread, read a few pages of and was really hooked but had no time to read, and now I can’t remember pretty much anything about it and can’t find it again! I think there was some kind of wizard order and they had weird names, possibly like one-word noun names? Does this intensely vague description ring any bells?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

redcheval posted:

There was some kind of wizard book I read about in this thread, read a few pages of and was really hooked but had no time to read, and now I can’t remember pretty much anything about it and can’t find it again! I think there was some kind of wizard order and they had weird names, possibly like one-word noun names? Does this intensely vague description ring any bells?

Sockpuppet mode activated: you are thinking of Graydon Saunders Commonweal books, starts with The March North.

(Spoilerific) thread for discussion of the series here.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Has anyone read both Revelation Space and Matter by Iain M Banks? I swear I'm going crazy because no one else believes me when I point out the commonalities between the books' endings.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

FPyat posted:

Has anyone read both Revelation Space and Matter by Iain M Banks? I swear I'm going crazy because no one else believes me when I point out the commonalities between the books' endings.

Go on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FPyat posted:

I've read both and I'm willing to believe you, but I can't remember the ending of either book.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd class it similarly to Mary Gentle's Ash so far, but definitely less grimdark/conspiracy-y. But that same mixture of history/not. I'm also feeling like the ER Eddison trilogy "Zimiamvia", what with the huge amount of footnotes and the almost historical feel to it despite being Not Real.

This sounds dope, that was one of my favourite things about Ash.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
yeah that sounds really good

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just finished reading through the Cixin Liu short story collection (The Wandering Earth). Enjoyed it for the most part but his hilarious self-inserts in the Curse 5.0 story and the entire premise made me laugh out loud. That whole short story was just perfect for me. I now feel compelled to go look up translations of Pan Dajiao's work (or maybe I should just learn to read in Chinese...).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FPyat posted:

the commonality is that they both had rocks fall and the author couldn't figure out how to end this smoothly type endings. actually in banks case it almost certainly was the point since the entire book is basically about the futility of existence.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In my quest to understand this thing I'm reading, I found this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...b501_story.html

quote:

Book review: ‘The Legend of Broken’ by Caleb Carr

By Elizabeth Hand
November 26, 2012

George R.R. Martin fans awaiting the next installment of “A Song of Ice and Fire” might ease their craving for mythic heroism, internecine warfare and depraved royals with Caleb Carr’s absorbing new novel. Set circa 745 A.D., during Europe’s Dark Ages, “The Legend of Broken” straddles the line between epic fantasy and alternate history.

In a brief introduction, Carr claims to have discovered an ancient document known as the Broken Manuscript among the papers of Edward Gibbon (author of “The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire”). Adolf Hitler was also supposedly aware of the manuscript and attempted to suppress all knowledge of it, as well as of the lost kingdom whose strange history the manuscript records. Now Carr has brought the Legend of Broken to light, complete with copious footnotes and correspondence between Gibbon and Edmund Burke on the manuscript’s authenticity.

All of this post-modern folderol makes for a rather contorted opening to what quickly turns out to be an excellent and old-fashioned entertainment that evolves into a clever discourse on the history and development of modern warfare. Best known for novels like “The Alienist” and “The Angel of Darkness,” Carr is also a noted military historian. “The Legend of Broken” has none of the fin-de-siecle trappings that distinguished his earlier novels, but his gift for integrating historical detail with lurid spectacle rivals those on display in the much-missed BBC/HBO series “Rome.”

The fictional Kingdom of Broken occupies the part of modern Germany that includes the Harz Mountains and remnants of the vast first-growth forest that once covered much of northern Europe. The people of Broken live in a mountaintop city carved from granite. Below them, in the shadows of Davon Wood, live the Bane, four-foot tall humans (don’t call them halfings, dwarves or elves) who were exiled from Broken 200 years earlier by its founder, Oxmontrot. Known as the Mad King, Oxmontrot forsook his roots as an adherent of the Moon Goddess to embrace a hedonistic religion with a beautiful male avatar, Kafra.

Now, centuries after Oxmontrot’s death (under sinister circumstances), the Bane and the people of Broken are drawn into open conflict, while both races are being decimated by mysterious plagues that seem to have been deliberately spread. The Bane think the Broken are behind the deaths, and vice versa. It’s up to a trio of plucky Baneand a wise military leader of the Broken named Sixt Arnem to venture into the surrounding countryside and attempt to save their respective peoples.

Carr’s depiction of 8th-century Europe as a gallimaufry of religions, superstitions, science and cultural tradition is marvelous: His Dark Ages contain incandescent flashes of insight into an era that itself is often resigned to a mere footnote. His notes initially seem intrusive — imagine Tolkien footnoting every cry of “A Elbereth Gilthoniel!” — but his commentary soon becomes a compelling counter-narrative, where magic is displaced by science, and the Bane archers and Broken cavalry become part of a military continuum that stretches from ancient Greece to the present day.

Lest this all sound too all serious, be aware that a legless sorcerer, his one-legged acolyte, talking birds and the legendary white panther of Davon Wood (a holdover from Pleistocene days) all play a major part in the final confrontation between Bane and Broken. In his notes, Carr acknowledges his debts toEdgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E. Howard, and his novel’s language often owes more to the glory days ofpulp than to scholarship: “Sheets of black hair fall to the woman’s waist, and her eyes — which glitter an alluring green in the torchlight, a green the color of the best emeralds the Bane have been known to bring out of Davon Wood — are fixed on the amber orbs of the panther, which already betray some sort of enthrallment.”

But Carr’s tale grows deeper and darker as it proceeds, as the meaning of the word “broken” and its relationship to the various characters gradually become clear. And an extended, gruesome sequence detailing the ravages of ergot poisoning on Broken’s populace had me flipping furiously between Carr’s footnotes and the main story, then going online to research the history of medieval pestilence. At its best, “The Legend of Broken” seamlessly blends epic adventure with serious research and asks questions that men and women grappled with in the Dark Ages and still do today. Questions like, Is there ever such a thing as a just war? And could a legless old man really tame a 600-pound panther?

THE LEGEND OF BROKEN

By Caleb Carr

Random House. 734 pp. $28

And honestly, Elizabeth Hand is one of the most... odd/interesting authors working currently, imho. Her stuff is wild, and I still struggle with Waking the Moon.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh this is neat - John M Ford's final work got published a few days ago.

https://bookriot.com/sff-new-releases-april-2022/

quote:

Aspects by John M. Ford

Written in the years before his death and set to be published on April 5, Aspects is the final of John M. Ford’s works. This book weaves three stories together: one of a historical parliament, one of a mysterious house, and one a vast mountain range. With unique characters and incredible stories, this is a cozy fantasy adventure.

It’s worth noting that this book is unfinished, but that in no way detracts from the wonderful adventure.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

FPyat posted:

"We awoke a planet-level threat poking around in ancient ruins" isn't exactly an uncommon scifi trope, and that's about the total of the similarities.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

In my quest to understand this thing I'm reading, I found this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...b501_story.html

And honestly, Elizabeth Hand is one of the most... odd/interesting authors working currently, imho. Her stuff is wild, and I still struggle with Waking the Moon.

Well this sounds bewildering!

I read the first Alienist book because I'd watched the TV show (I will watch Daniel Bruhl in almost anything) and quite liked it, but the second one was from Stevie's PoV and I didn't like it at all. Now I'm curious.

e: ordered a paperback, let's see about this thing

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 10, 2022

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDGX4KY/

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

pradmer posted:

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDGX4KY/

Great fantasy, about 20% of the way through I got hooked hard. It's also pretty long so $4 is still a great deal.

Now if I only I could get my daughter to try reading it, I know she would love it but I refuse to spoiler it even somewhat.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh this is neat - John M Ford's final work got published a few days ago.

https://bookriot.com/sff-new-releases-april-2022/

So excited Ford is getting republished. Snapping this up ASAP.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

Well this sounds bewildering!

I read the first Alienist book because I'd watched the TV show (I will watch Daniel Bruhl in almost anything) and quite liked it, but the second one was from Stevie's PoV and I didn't like it at all. Now I'm curious.

e: ordered a paperback, let's see about this thing

Apparently there's going to be a third (fourth?) book in the series coming out maybe this year called The Alienist at Armageddon.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

RDM posted:

"We awoke a planet-level threat poking around in ancient ruins" isn't exactly an uncommon scifi trope, and that's about the total of the similarities.

And the characters were using spacesuits with similar capabilities to descend into a layered megastructure at the end of which the protagonist deals with the alien threat by detonating the antimatter charges within their head

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

RDM posted:

No, they also end the same way. character approaching mysterious orb/menace that is going to destroy the world triggers implanted antimatter bomb to avert mysterious orb/menace at cost of own life

e: god drat it

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Hugo Book Club twitter posted some long screed about hosting the Hugos/Worldcon in Omelas that was very thinly a critique of China hosting, and did not like that it made people uncomfortable and just banned anyone who followed specific accounts that were critical, including several Asian authors who objected, and told their followers to do the same. I'm not even sure I directly interacted with them, just commented on them in a separate thread but still got the block

Whoever runs the Hugo Book Club Twitter account is thin-skinned and mean. I also got the block from them during that incident.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

No, they also end the same way. character approaching mysterious orb/menace that is going to destroy the world triggers implanted antimatter bomb to avert mysterious orb/menace at cost of own life

e: god drat it

So the ol pondering the orb meme taken to its logical conclusion.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Squandering the orb, if you will.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

Oh yeah I'd forgotten all about that, the cowards blocked me too.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Hahaha, I pretty much never post on twitter and definitely have never interacted with the Hugo Book Club account in any way that I know of, but they blocked me too! I'm guessing they just used one of those block lists that automatically blocks a person and all their followers or something like that? Goofy.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Any recommendations for independent fantasy authors? I've got an itch to explore some self-published stuff just because it has the potential to be something different and weird that might not make it past publishing houses, but a lot of self-published stuff frankly sucks. I'd like to find a few good authors and support them but there's also a sea of crap to wade through, so just kinda looking for some direction here.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 11, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you heard of my books, published under the name Graydon Saunders on Google Books. Probably the best example of 'this is self published because it's too deeply weird to be successful' rather than the more normal 'self published because it kind of sucks'.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Have you heard of my books, published under the name Graydon Saunders on Google Books. Probably the best example of 'this is self published because it's too deeply weird to be successful' rather than the more normal 'self published because it kind of sucks'.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That's impossible. I'm Graydon Saunders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
But doctor, I am Graydon Saunders.