Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NomNomNom posted:

Watson saw a duck on the morning walk.

D U C K

lol he’s quite the tough guy isn’t he

Katie stood up from her slumber and wondered what the commotion was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

david_a posted:

lol he’s quite the tough guy isn’t he

Katie stood up from her slumber and wondered what the commotion was

haha yes, seems like it! :D (also, Tazo didn't ecen notice. Too early in the morning for him, I think)

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

NomNomNom posted:

Watson saw a duck on the morning walk.

D U C K

Hahahaha poor duckless long boy.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Sometimes I just think, TODD

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

Sometimes I just think, TODD

I am constantly thinking this, because the moment I let my guard down he's into something

Literally right now my spouse is making dinner and I hear a "Hey hey HEY! Stop it!" and I'm just "yep, TODD"

Yesterday we had friends over and he just shoved under someone's armpit and used his anteater tongue like a proboscis to try and slurp up some pizza

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DarkHorse posted:

Yesterday we had friends over and he just shoved under someone's armpit and used his anteater tongue like a proboscis to try and slurp up some pizza

Lmao!

Also I take you all get wet nose boops all the time? I swear Ella can't walk past me without nose booping me. I take it as a sign of affection, but sometimes it's a bit too much (like on my hand right after I washed them).

We also decided to finally take the plunge, swallow our fears and let her run free at the dog section of the beach. Basically a big grass field that goes down to the beach (in the city) with no fencing. Thankfully she didn't run away! She basically takes off to the nearest dog at a million miles per hour and tries to get the dog to chase her while we catch up. Never seen as happy as when she's here. I think we can relax about her running off now as well as it seems like she regularly looks back at where we are just to check that we are still there, and she's getting better and better at actually stopping / coming when we call. Lots of training to do still, but making progress. :)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Also I take you all get wet nose boops all the time? I swear Ella can't walk past me without nose booping me. I take it as a sign of affection, but sometimes it's a bit too much (like on my hand right after I washed them).

Yep! Both of mime do it all the time, too. Opal often likes to chuck a li'l licky in there too, for good measure.

I'm not sure if you experience this, but although Tazo's wet nose is a fairly normal temperature, Opal's nose must be nearly as cold as dry ice! So you can imagine the surprise on my face, when Opal decides to sneak up and give me a kiss in the dead of night, then stare me in the eye as I wake up due to the abrupt wet and cold!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Major Isoor posted:

Yep! Both of mime do it all the time, too. Opal often likes to chuck a li'l licky in there too, for good measure.

I'm not sure if you experience this, but although Tazo's wet nose is a fairly normal temperature, Opal's nose must be nearly as cold as dry ice! So you can imagine the surprise on my face, when Opal decides to sneak up and give me a kiss in the dead of night, then stare me in the eye as I wake up due to the abrupt wet and cold!

Ellas is usually pretty cold. At least cold enough that it can make you jump if she sneaks up on you x). I'm pretty used to waking up to it by now since my wife and Ella say good bye (she goes to work an hour earlier than me, and brings Ella with her), but I still think "man my wife is aggressive... oh wait it's Ella booping me and digging her nose in so she can get pets before leaving". :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Christie (the woman who fostered Abby) came by with one of her greyhounds (Adam) for a walk, they did very well together! She's great, she also takes on greyhounds that no one else can deal with. She has one that has some brain chemical imbalance so it's actually aggressive and bites people.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Glad to see Bailey out and making friends. :)

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

We got a new kitten in Feb and she has an alarming lack of fear of her longdog sister

https://imgur.com/jRcIg34.mp4

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 12, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bailey's anxiety is improving, albeit slowly. One thing I'm still noticing is that if we are out she has no anxiety around new people and will be friendly, but if anyone comes by my home she will go in her crate (if it's the first time), or if it's a repeated visit will just go in the bedroom. I'm thinking maybe she gets anxious or maybe feels a bit threatened when people are in her "territory." Even with me she only comes up to me a few times a day (though she's improved a lot, initially she never would, and would spend the entire morning in her crate - now the crate is if something unusual happens that bothers her like thunder, otherwise she stays in the bedroom).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Bailey :unsmith:

Meanwhile Teedo continues to be a TODD. Yesterday he got into the big bag of fish food, gorged himself, and had rancid farts the rest of the day

On the plus side he was chill and sleepy all day, so :shrug:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

gorged himself, and had rancid farts the rest of the day

On the plus side he was chill and sleepy all day, so :shrug:
:mood:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would like to understand why Bailey does pretty well with new people when we are outside the home, but not as much at home. Maybe she feels like her territory is being threatened?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

I would like to understand why Bailey does pretty well with new people when we are outside the home, but not as much at home. Maybe she feels like her territory is being threatened?

I don’t know if “threatened” is the right word because greyhounds aren’t supposed to be territorial. It may be that she sees the home as her safe space and having strangers around violates that so she goes to the safest spot she knows (her crate). It might just be a matter of desensitizing her? Try to lure her out with treats when strangers are around, perhaps?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

david_a posted:

I don’t know if “threatened” is the right word because greyhounds aren’t supposed to be territorial. It may be that she sees the home as her safe space and having strangers around violates that so she goes to the safest spot she knows (her crate). It might just be a matter of desensitizing her? Try to lure her out with treats when strangers are around, perhaps?

I did that last time, she took the treat then just went back into her crate. later she started nibbling at the drywall hah

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Gello's also wary of strangers in the house. Our strategy is that her crate is completely off-limits to anyone when she's in it. If she decides to come out, she gets masses of treats and praise from us (while the strangers ignore her). If she doesn't, then that's okay too. It works pretty well. She eventually warms up to people that she sees regularly, and there's no pressure for her to come out if she doesn't want to. We always joke that any contractors think we have one dog and a ghost.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

Gello's also wary of strangers in the house. Our strategy is that her crate is completely off-limits to anyone when she's in it. If she decides to come out, she gets masses of treats and praise from us (while the strangers ignore her). If she doesn't, then that's okay too. It works pretty well. She eventually warms up to people that she sees regularly, and there's no pressure for her to come out if she doesn't want to. We always joke that any contractors think we have one dog and a ghost.

yeah i've also stopped touching bailey at all when she is in the crate

she usually stays in there a bit then moves to her bedroom bed

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Spartacus had many feelings about guests being over, mostly involving standing on the landing and staring at the intruders until they left or else retreating to his bed upstairs.

We called it his Fortress of Spartitude

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So after talking to some owners of other sighthounds and doing some research, I'm thinking that Ella might actually be a Galgo Español and not a Greyhound. Did someone in the thread mention that..? Could also be some mix of sighthounds, but after comparing and reading up on them more there certainly are a ton of characteristics that fit better with her being a Galgo Español. She is exactly the right size, has a longer nose and the body is built more like a Galgo Español. She doesn't have the super long tail though, but from pictures it seems like they don't all have it.
It would also fit much better with the failed hunting dog story the shelter gave us, especially after reading up on how horribly Galgo Españols are treated in Spain (I have no reason to believe Romania is much better). I think what I've read about the treatment of Galgo Españols if one of the worst systematic abusing of dogs I've come across so far. :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

good girl (note the painters tape in the background, that's covering the bit of drywall she nibbled on when she got really anxious)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrOnBicycle posted:

So after talking to some owners of other sighthounds and doing some research, I'm thinking that Ella might actually be a Galgo Español and not a Greyhound. Did someone in the thread mention that..? Could also be some mix of sighthounds, but after comparing and reading up on them more there certainly are a ton of characteristics that fit better with her being a Galgo Español. She is exactly the right size, has a longer nose and the body is built more like a Galgo Español. She doesn't have the super long tail though, but from pictures it seems like they don't all have it.
It would also fit much better with the failed hunting dog story the shelter gave us, especially after reading up on how horribly Galgo Españols are treated in Spain (I have no reason to believe Romania is much better). I think what I've read about the treatment of Galgo Españols if one of the worst systematic abusing of dogs I've come across so far. :(

I’ve never seen a Galgo in real life but Emma’s head around the eyes does look more Galgo-ish. I have no idea if Galgo’s have the same weird blood values and response to anesthesia that greyhounds do, so maybe it’s best to do a DNA test?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

david_a posted:

I’ve never seen a Galgo in real life but Emma’s head around the eyes does look more Galgo-ish. I have no idea if Galgo’s have the same weird blood values and response to anesthesia that greyhounds do, so maybe it’s best to do a DNA test?

Good point! Just read about it some and seems like they react differently to anesthesia than Greyhounds (longer recovery and more sensitive). A DNA test would be really interesting in a way. I'll have to see what tests are available here in Europe, but if anyone have any recommendations I'd be happy to check them out.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 18, 2022

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Pb jar is life.

Had some friends over and while we ate dinner on the deck he got a pb jar which he took out into the yard. Was funny because he usually doesn't like to lay in the grass.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

For anyone who isn’t aware, make sure your pb is dog safe or xylitol free. Very fatal!

Josie won’t lick jars, she doesn’t like to put her snoot into them. It also means I have to scoop out the bottom half of her puppaccino the Starbucks people give her.

But she will gladly shove her snoot into an armpit, leg gap or bum!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skoolmunkee posted:

For anyone who isn’t aware, make sure your pb is dog safe or xylitol free. Very fatal!

i've never seen or heard of pb with xylitol in them, do you have an example?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

It’s a sugar replacement additive, so it’ll be ones that advertise as being low carb or sugar free. My googling says it seems to be smaller brands like Go Nuts and P28. It might also have other names so just read your labels :)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is the second time Bailey has laid out here during the day, which to me is definitely progress! she used to never even come up to me at all (my desk is where I'm taking this picture from)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Awesome to see! Today is Gello's four year adoptiversary, saw some of the early photos where she was to scared to get off the couch. Here's a photo of her today, being confident enough to pester me for breakfast.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Greyhounds are supposed to be shy? :confused:

TODD just destroyed a roll of toilet paper and has been known to just walk up to strangers and steal the food out of their hands (or mouth in one case). He has absolutely no shame

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie is incredibly outgoing with people and everyone she meets is a long lost friend. “Oh, she’s so well behaved!” Yeah, uh, that’s all my extensive training.

Half the time when she meets a new dog she’ll growl after/during sniffing to let them know she’s not interested in being friends with a mere canine. :lofty:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
was walking by the dog park and saw a three legged greyhound just absolutely outrunning a four legged goldendoodle or something, it was not even close

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

was walking by the dog park and saw a three legged greyhound just absolutely outrunning a four legged goldendoodle or something, it was not even close

Oh yeah, tripod greys are still super fast! Maybe even faster than four-legged greys, due to the weight reduction. :D Either way, it's always good to see 'em having fun!

Also, Tazo is definitely starting to get old now. He's still super affectionate with everyone, but he gets grumpy with Opal more easily, when she knocks/kicks his discarded toys, etc. (Like, he was laying down with his latest favourite toy -a plush wombat- and Opal walked past/over it and kicked it over onto its back, so he growled softly at her. And Opal being Opal, she hates being told off, so she curled up under my desk in a fright!)

In addition to that, he's even developing old man neck wrinkles! I wouldn't have thought such an aerodynamic hound could develop those, but apparently so! They only appear sometimes though, like when looking down at you. Kinda funny though, seeing this greying grey tower over me in my bed, giving me his best cute look, appealing for me to move over for him, with his old man neck :D (then minutes later getting grumpy at Opal for being too excitable)

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
It’s been a while since I contributed so here are some photos of Jody and Barley:

Snot drip:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
“Hey Lucy, did you hear about the adopted dog who was raised by a blacksmith?”

“As soon as he got home, he made a bolt for the door!”

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Great pictures!

In that spirit , it's

T E E D O T I M E

https://i.imgur.com/wjD1yXk.mp4

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Your Otter is sick

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

large hands posted:

Your Otter is sick

He "otter" use the bridge instead of drinking ditch water :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bailey's third birthday is Tuesday of next week!

Question, I finally ordered an actual nice dresser to replace my crappy one. My concern is that Bailey spends a lot of time in the bedroom on her bed, and if she ever gets stressed she might try to nibble at it. Now she only chewed on the current dresser once, and that's right after I got her, before trazodone. She hasn't chewed on anything for a while, except she did chew up a bit of drywall right next to her after the painter was here (I think that was a combo of stress from someone she didn't know, and maybe the new paint smell?) . She hasn't done that since.

I do have other nice furniture, but it's in the living room where my desk is, so she wouldn't try it even if she wanted to there. But I can't supervise her when she's in the bedroom. I'm wondering what the best way to handle this is - when I get it, presumably she will go up and smell it. Should I do nothing and wait to see if she cares at all? Or should I immediately use "leave it" and give a treat when she does? That's what I used when I get a nice chair.