Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

lol ur lucky, thats a cool rear end card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's a cute preview short and that card looks great, I LOVE the burglar look the fish have. card looks good too, which is unfortunate because azorius is already annoying enough

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

UW Hammer just beat 4c elementals to win the SCG 30K

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That dude played amazingly well, incredible sequencing against the Rhinos match before.

teppichporsche fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 11, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Autumn burchett split in the finals of the big modern tournament in birmingham yesterday on 4c elementals.
Then split in the finals of the legacy event today on 8cast. Apparently didn't lose a match all weekend wtf.

https://twitter.com/autumnlilypad/status/1512934360453943303

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Yeah absolutely everyone is packing hate for hammer, one of the big targets for the format currently

It wasn't even the hate that did me in, honestly, I felt prepared to beat that stuff. I just misfired incredibly hard, every opening hand was, like, a Keep-or-Mull-puzzle level tough call and then they never paid off. I got none of the busted starts. I think Hammer is still a super powerful deck and clearly ~*tier one*~

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What in the world

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What's the list?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Drewjitsu posted:

What's the list?

https://mtgmelee.com/Decklist/View/215209

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What in the world

I think it's neat, even if it might not be super useful. drop chandra dressed to kill in a mono-red deck, +1, next turn, +1 again, play this and equip her, you've got a 5/5 swinging in on turn 4?

idk

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What in the world

Now that Giddeon is dead looks like someone else is going to pick up the "Planeswalker creature" Mantle.
Might be a relic from an earlier version of the set where elspeth could animate itself.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

I think it's neat, even if it might not be super useful. drop chandra dressed to kill in a mono-red deck, +1, next turn, +1 again, play this and equip her, you've got a 5/5 swinging in on turn 4?

idk

This would require a change of rule 702.6c in order to work.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
why?

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm fairly sure that's the intended play pattern, what with the equip PW text and the PW becomes a creature text, unless I'm misreading the card that badly?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What in the world

I'm confused that it's a sword and not a giant bottle of Italian wine.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
hoot tends to very confidently say wrong rules things, but i don't understand exactly what that cited rule's relevance even is in this case

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

q_k posted:

I'm fairly sure that's the intended play pattern, what with the equip PW text and the PW becomes a creature text, unless I'm misreading the card that badly?

The equip keyword rules specify that it has to be equipped to a creature but they’ll probably amend them for this like they amended the rules for reconfigure

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Corey B is in the finals for the 10K at Dallas… it’s rigged!!!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

q_k posted:

flatluigi posted:

hoot tends to very confidently say wrong rules things, but i don't understand exactly what that cited rule's relevance even is in this case

quote:

702.6c “Equip [quality] creature” is a variant of the equip ability. “Equip [quality] [cost]” means “[Cost]: Attach this permanent to target [quality] creature you control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.” This ability doesn’t restrict what the Equipment may be attached to.
Unless the planewalker is already a creature it is not a legal target for the ability.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HootTheOwl posted:

Unless the planewalker is already a creature it is not a legal target for the ability.

so are you arguing the card doesn't function as printed instead of assuming there'll be rules that make 'equip planeswalker' meaningful text and invictus will be correct about that play pattern

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What in the world

lol :hellyeah:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

flatluigi posted:

so are you arguing the card doesn't function as printed
It functions with a Gideon or Sarkhan.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

7 loyalty seems to be the highest loyalty counters a planeswalker has in modern/pioneer. these only have 3mv cost

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HootTheOwl posted:

It functions with a Gideon or Sarkhan.

they're not printing an equipment that incredibly narrow dude, don't move the goalposts

edit: especially without any animating planeswalkers in the set

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

flatluigi posted:

they're not printing an equipment that incredibly narrow dude, don't move the goalposts

edit: especially without any animating planeswalkers in the set

I'm not moving any goalposts. The card functions, but not with any currently revealed card in the set. I never said it didn't work, only it didn't work with the Chandra the poster refrenced.

quote:

“Equip [quality] [cost]” means “[Cost]: Attach this permanent to target [quality] creature you control.
This seems like a pretty straight forward rule to me:
"Equip [Planeswalker] [1]" means "[1]: Attach this permanent to target [planeswalker] creature you control.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
or, the card printed in a set without planeswalkers that animate themselves and built to make planeswalkers that can't animate themselves animate into creatures will have the rules text 'equip planeswalker' mean 'equip planeswalker' with rules specifying exactly that it means you can equip it onto a planeswalker

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Even if they overlooked how 706.2c is written for the purposes of Luxior, they're just going to change the rule soon afterwards to match how 99% of the people on the planet assume it works. Don't be pedantic

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

dragon enthusiast posted:

Even if they overlooked how 706.2c is written for the purposes of Luxior, they're just going to change the rule soon afterwards to match how 99% of the people on the planet assume it works. Don't be pedantic

quote:

Yes, that's literally what I said?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes, that's literally what I said?

You're quoting the post like you're trying to gotcha anybody who tries to put it on their planeswalker at prerelease. Who gives a poo poo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
hoottheowl is the sort of person who lights up when someone says something like 'lands don't have summoning sickness' in their vicinity

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

You're quoting the post like you're trying to gotcha anybody who tries to put it on their planeswalker at prerelease. Who gives a poo poo

You seem to have added some words to my post that aren't there. It's unfortunate because I even reposted them for you.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

You seem to have added some words to my post that aren't there. It's unfortunate because I even reposted them for you.

Will you call a judge at prerelease if the rule isn't updated and your opponent tries to equip it to their planeswalker?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Will you call a judge at prerelease if the rule isn't updated and your opponent tries to equip it to their planeswalker?
I don't usually bother with prereleases anymore, so:

Who gives a poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Corey B is in the finals for the 10K at Dallas… it’s rigged!!!

sounds like corey b goode

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

that's not even a joke, that's just my brain detritus. please ignore

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

kalel posted:

Turns out he might have a little something.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

more infinite mana tricks

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

Lol. But also he lost in the finals to Steven Yean. Corey was on 4c elementals and Steven won with Yawgmoth

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What in the world

Notably this (intentionally, presumably) has a ton of synergy with new Elspeth, who can put three counters on herself with her +1, giving herself one of flying/first strike/lifelink/vigilance and getting +4/+4 with every activation.

Also works well with Wandering Empress, who can +1 herself with this, giving her +3/+3 every time and first strike for the turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

when is zendikar legal in standard 'til? have they said?