Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I know I SHOULD feel sorry for her, but at the same time... lady, you're kicking someone out of their home because of YOUR hardship, and telling them that they only have a few months to find a new home and get everything moved out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/fixer-says-former-alberta-justice-minister-hired-him-to-get-reporters-phone-logs

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I would love to see this rewritten to capture the actual problem: Government agency critically underfunded, not providing intended service.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

If they are really homeless why don't they rent an apartment

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Poilievre continues to refine his housing message.

https://twitter.com/PierrePoilievre/status/1513493563425714185

He's pretty much just pointing at a dumpy house and saying "boy this is hosed isn't it?" but with a Conservative ideological spin that it's government fees and regulations that are the real problem.

Meanwhile the Liberals are insisting, despite everything obviously getting worse and worse, that they're continuing to make good progress. The NDP lapdogs have nothing much to say beyond fiddling around the status quo.

Eventually Canadians are going to realize that housing has become worse and worse over the last 10 years, and this sort of messaging from the Conservatives will get traction, and the call for change will get louder and louder.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's gonna be great living in Hong Kong sleeping pods in the second largest country in the world

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
When all the landlords go on strike what are you guys gonna do then? Huh?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Poilievre continues to refine his housing message.

https://twitter.com/PierrePoilievre/status/1513493563425714185

He's pretty much just pointing at a dumpy house and saying "boy this is hosed isn't it?" but with a Conservative ideological spin that it's government fees and regulations that are the real problem.

Meanwhile the Liberals are insisting, despite everything obviously getting worse and worse, that they're continuing to make good progress. The NDP lapdogs have nothing much to say beyond fiddling around the status quo.

Eventually Canadians are going to realize that housing has become worse and worse over the last 10 years, and this sort of messaging from the Conservatives will get traction, and the call for change will get louder and louder.

people have been saying this for ~15 years and housing is constantly given lip service during elections with zero follow up. At the end of the day 67% of Canadians own their homes and are benefitting from this and they aren’t going to support a candidate who credibly threatens their net worth. If you’re not part of the home ownership class you are hosed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That's the thing, anyone who intends to get re-elected will not support anything that risks devaluing real-estate. There is no way for any legislation to be passed that would meaningfully affect the rising costs of housing, because there's no one willing to support it, even if such a thing were drafted, which it has never been.

The way forward is endless supply side measures and more easily accessible credit, continually inflating the value of a place to live.

The only way this changes is some kind of external factor cratering the housing market, and most of the Canadian economy along with it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Starks posted:

people have been saying this for ~15 years and housing is constantly given lip service during elections with zero follow up. At the end of the day 67% of Canadians own their homes and are benefitting from this and they aren’t going to support a candidate who credibly threatens their net worth. If you’re not part of the home ownership class you are hosed

The significant developing thing is that a lot of those established boomer and gen x homeowners now have adult kids that 1) are struggling to get housing in the first place or 2) may own housing but which is unsuitable (eg. a young family with children in a 600 sqft apt).

So even amongst established homeowners, they may be looking at struggling family members and be concerned about real estate enough to change their votes based on that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Femtosecond posted:

So even amongst established homeowners, they may be looking at struggling family members and be concerned about real estate enough to change their votes based on that.

*Barely contained snickering*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Femtosecond posted:

The significant developing thing is that a lot of those established boomer and gen x homeowners now have adult kids that 1) are struggling to get housing in the first place or 2) may own housing but which is unsuitable (eg. a young family with children in a 600 sqft apt).

Change their votes to what?

There would have to be a party looking to do something about the cost of housing in order to vote for them. Even in terms of MPs and MLAs, someone would have to table legislation with the intent of reducing the value of housing in order for them to vote for it.

Notably, neither of those things has happened. There's no one and nothing to vote for because the very concept is electoral poison.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

infernal machines posted:

Knowing our luck? The PPC

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

evilpicard posted:

It's gonna be great living in Hong Kong sleeping pods in the second largest country in the world

I swear some of the people in this thread were marched to Toronto and Vancouver at gunpoint and forced to live there forevermore.

The problem is not that Canada doesn't have enough land, it's that apparently everyone wants to live in the same loving two tiny squares of it and can't be convinced otherwise.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Perhaps the quickest way to pip the bubble would be to really intentionally overinflate?
Just cut the brake lines, and jam the gas. Zero cmhc conditions, zero stress test, make mortgage payments tax deductible (principal and interest). Make all real estate capital gains tax free. That should cause catastrophic instability in short order.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

evilpicard posted:

If they are really homeless why don't they rent an apartment

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JWAxzgCYxpc

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 11, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

I swear some of the people in this thread were marched to Toronto and Vancouver at gunpoint and forced to live there forevermore.

The problem is not that Canada doesn't have enough land, it's that apparently everyone wants to live in the same loving two tiny squares of it and can't be convinced otherwise.

I could theoretically afford to buy a house in a little town called Madoc, some of my friends live out there. It's about 200km from where my work is, and I would need a car to so much as buy groceries. Do I keep renting for about $1700 a month, in order to have access to my clients and jobs, or try to buy a house and cut off my access to the market I've spent 14 years building a client base in?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PT6A posted:

Yes, people tend to want to live in desirable locations. Also, the GTA is not a tiny square, it's 100+km of continuously urbanized coastline and another few dozen km inland, the vast majority of which can support higher densities and better urban planning without encroaching on any more farmland or the green belt.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

PT6A posted:

This is happening all over the country, even shitholes where I'm from like Sault St. Marie and Sudbury have seen home sales increases over the last few years. I briefly looked at the east coast as well (NS and Newfoundland) and things have gone through the roof in all the listings I've seen. It's not just a Toronto and Vancouver phenomenon lol.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

Wild that people would want to live close to things, where there people, stores, jobs, services and good internet, and particularly in places with milder weather, rather then in the middle of bumfuck nowhere where you probably will get cut off from poo poo if it snows too hard.

e: I can accept that we maybe aim this attitude at people who want their big rear end lawn - if you want a ton of space around your home, then yeah, maybe you should expect to live rural, rather expecting to get all the benefits of city services with none of the density.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 11, 2022

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

There would have to be a party looking to do something about the cost of housing in order to vote for them. Even in terms of MPs and MLAs, someone would have to table legislation with the intent of reducing the value of housing in order for them to vote for it.

Notably, neither of those things has happened. There's no one and nothing to vote for because the very concept is electoral poison.

I'm not suggesting that the Conservatives have a coherent and effective housing policy, only that Poilievre is building an effective message that housing is super hosed up and the status quo is the problem.

I don't think Poilievre would even do anything on housing terribly differently than what the Liberals are currently doing.

He only needs to convince voters that the Liberals are failing and it's "time for change."

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

That's the thing, anyone who intends to get re-elected will not support anything that risks devaluing real-estate. There is no way for any legislation to be passed that would meaningfully affect the rising costs of housing, because there's no one willing to support it, even if such a thing were drafted, which it has never been.

The way forward is endless supply side measures and more easily accessible credit, continually inflating the value of a place to live.

The only way this changes is some kind of external factor cratering the housing market, and most of the Canadian economy along with it.

And they're still going to spend massive amounts of money—money that could otherwise be spent doing something remotely useful—trying, and failing, to stop number from going down.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Maybe places with low house prices should focus on being less poo poo. I mean, I agree, I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere either. But I'm willing to put up with Calgary because it's good enough and even though housing prices are a problem, they are not nearly the problem they are in Vancouver or the GTA.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I for one love having trucks cut in front of me to roll coal for driving a hybrid, what's not to love about Alberta

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

I for one love having trucks cut in front of me to roll coal for driving a hybrid, what's not to love about Alberta

There's a lot not to love about Alberta, but I'm calling bullshit that you see that in a regular basis in a city. We're full of hybrids, electrics, the works. I swear people make a much bigger deal of what's wrong with Calgary and Edmonton than actually exists in reality, and give rural areas in the rest of the country a pass, because that poo poo exists there too!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It was the one time I drove there, first pandemic summer so 2020 I guess. Sorry for not saving a dashcam video of it for you.

Also my partner is non-white and like everywhere we went she was stared at but you know being from near Sault St. Marie she's used to that now so Alberta wasn't unique in that sense.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's pretty funny to rail against the Big Liberal Cities for housing problems when the NIMBYism is probably just as bad or worse in outlying suburbs that are much more conservative.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

It was the one time I drove there, first pandemic summer so 2020 I guess. Sorry for not saving a dashcam video of it for you.

Also my partner is non-white and like everywhere we went she was stared at but you know being from near Sault St. Marie she's used to that now so Alberta wasn't unique in that sense.

Yes, here in Calgary we don't know what non-white people are. We certainly don't have any here. We elected Nenshi because we assumed, based on his skin, he was some sort of super-intelligent alien.

Do I believe you might have been walking around with a massive chip on your shoulder? Yeah, frankly, I do.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

PT6A posted:

Yes, here in Calgary we don't know what non-white people are. We certainly don't have any here. We elected Nenshi because we assumed, based on his skin, he was some sort of super-intelligent alien.

Do I believe you might have been walking around with a massive chip on your shoulder? Yeah, frankly, I do.

I think you'll find that literally every household other than my own in my neighborhood in Northeast Calgary are imaginary.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

PT6A posted:

There are only four livable cities in Canada.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

PT6A posted:

I didn't claim everyone was racist, nor did I mention Calgary. Much like northern Ontario there are absolutely large stretches of towns and areas where people gawk at you, I grew up in them and it's sadly nothing new to me.

Also is Nenshi your "POC friend" PT6A? Did the US stop being racist when Obama was elected? LOL.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

I didn't claim everyone was racist, nor did I mention Calgary. Much like northern Ontario there are absolutely large stretches of towns and areas where people gawk at you, I grew up in them and it's sadly nothing new to me.

Right. I'm with you, I loving hate rural Alberta, I hate going through it, I hate being in it, I hate their politics, I hate what they've done to this province.

What I'm saying is that Calgary and Edmonton are both perfectly livable, modern cities where you can get a detached house for under a million dollars.

EDIT: And I would say about 1/3 of my friends are people of colour, all of my students are, and many of my coworkers are (probably over half, actually). The Nenshi thing was just making the point that we elected a person of colour as mayor (to say nothing of the current mayor, who is a woman of colour, but I didn't know if that was as well known outside Calgary). That's what makes it so ridiculous to say "the big cities in Alberta are racist!"

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 11, 2022

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Also outside of PT6A being himself I am so looking forward to several years of Pierre being outraged at the housing crisis with no actual plan. What depresses me though is that usually works with people - as long as you're pissed off at the same thing or blaming the same scapegoat (cough cough foreign investors) it seems real easy to play a populist hand into winning an election. Especially if Trudeau is still the front-runner when the NDP deal is done.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

PT6A posted:

Right. I'm with you, I loving hate rural Alberta, I hate going through it, I hate being in it, I hate their politics, I hate what they've done to this province.

What I'm saying is that Calgary and Edmonton are both perfectly livable, modern cities where you can get a detached house for under a million dollars.
Yeah dude I don't wanna be loving surrounded by that. It sucks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PT6A posted:

This checks out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah dude I don't wanna be loving surrounded by that. It sucks.

You just said the same thing exists in Ontario and, having lived in rural BC, I assure you it also exists in BC outside the lower mainland. This is exactly the point I'm trying to make: everywhere is having housing problems, but certain places are having them much, much worse and it's largely because of weird conceptions about the entire country outside those two metro areas.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

EDIT: And I would say about 1/3 of my friends are people of colour, all of my students are, and many of my coworkers are (probably over half, actually). The Nenshi thing was just making the point that we elected a person of colour as mayor (to say nothing of the current mayor, who is a woman of colour, but I didn't know if that was as well known outside Calgary). That's what makes it so ridiculous to say "the big cities in Alberta are racist!"

Front page of the cbc today https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/cree-trans-edmonton-2slgbt-1.6415417

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

PT6A posted:

You just said the same thing exists in Ontario and, having lived in rural BC, I assure you it also exists in BC outside the lower mainland. This is exactly the point I'm trying to make: everywhere is having housing problems, but certain places are having them much, much worse and it's largely because of weird conceptions about the entire country outside those two metro areas.
I'm from a town of like 600 people; it's surprisingly fine. It definitely happens sometimes in the Sault, Sudbury, Parry Sound especially (which still has an Oriental section in the grocery store). Small town Alberta was next level. Been there, no thanks.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

McGavin posted:

This checks out.

and we don't even want to talk about when we had Mayor Larry in charge of Edmonton back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ytffbu2yWk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

StoicRomance posted:

There are only four livable cities in Canada.