Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

...woah. TIL that an urban fantasy author came out as trans last month, and she'll be keeping her author name for now: http://www.craigschaeferbooks.com/blog

"All that’s changed, and I cannot emphasize this enough, is that I’ve altered my outer life to match my inner one. I have always been the same person, inside, where it counts. Every book of mine that you’ve ever read was written by Heather Schaefer, they just had a pen name on the cover. (Or to put it in a much cooler way, you know how Batman is the real person, and Bruce Wayne is the mask? It’s like that. With less punching and more hugs.)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Revanche Cycle is v good.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

StrixNebulosa posted:

...woah. TIL that an urban fantasy author came out as trans last month, and she'll be keeping her author name for now: http://www.craigschaeferbooks.com/blog

"All that’s changed, and I cannot emphasize this enough, is that I’ve altered my outer life to match my inner one. I have always been the same person, inside, where it counts. Every book of mine that you’ve ever read was written by Heather Schaefer, they just had a pen name on the cover. (Or to put it in a much cooler way, you know how Batman is the real person, and Bruce Wayne is the mask? It’s like that. With less punching and more hugs.)"

I read a couple of her books and they were cool, much like this news. I should bump her up my reading list again.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The Greydon Saunders of Monte Cristo
Greydon Saunders, but a clone wearing a hoodie for the hip 90s
Greydon Saunder, winner of a Golden Globe for the makeup used to make Greydon Saunders look like Bruce Willis
Greydon Saunders of Zur-en-arrh
Planet of the Greydons, about a topsy-turvey world where libertarian is slave to Saunders
The Usual Greydons
The Sixth Greydon, it turns out this gag was dead the whole time

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

The Greydon Saunders of Monte Cristo
Greydon Saunders, but a clone wearing a hoodie for the hip 90s
Greydon Saunder, winner of a Golden Globe for the makeup used to make Greydon Saunders look like Bruce Willis
Planet of the Greydons, about a topsy-turvey world where libertarian is slave to Saunders
The Usual Greydons
The Sixth Greydon, it turns out this gag was dead the whole time

The Author Graydon Saunders

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh this is neat - John M Ford's final work got published a few days ago.

https://bookriot.com/sff-new-releases-april-2022/

It should be noted that Aspects is incomplete, as Ford died abruptly before finishing it. That said, Ford is an astonishingly good writer whose works faded into obscurity because of a dispute over his estate, so even an incomplete Ford book may be worth reading. His other stuff certainly is.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I am Graydon Saunders and so is my wife.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Kestral posted:

It should be noted that Aspects is incomplete, as Ford died abruptly before finishing it. That said, Ford is an astonishingly good writer whose works faded into obscurity because of a dispute over his estate, so even an incomplete Ford book may be worth reading. His other stuff certainly is.

Some of his blog comments are good work, let alone the stuff that got published.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Eason the Fifth posted:

Any recommendations for independent fantasy authors? I've got an itch to explore some self-published stuff just because it has the potential to be something different and weird that might not make it past publishing houses, but a lot of self-published stuff frankly sucks. I'd like to find a few good authors and support them but there's also a sea of crap to wade through, so just kinda looking for some direction here.

I'm always happy to recommend Jenna Moran's books, starting with Fable of the Swan.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm always happy to recommend Jenna Moran's books, starting with Fable of the Swan.
Oh poo poo, I would absolutely recommend Jenna Moran even over Graydon Saunders.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

grassy gnoll posted:

why, they'd probably throw someone like Greydon in Arkham!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
This reminds me that I've not read any Schaefer. She seems to have an imperial poo poo-ton of books; what would be something good and representative to try?

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
I’m overdue for a reread of The Last Unicorn. Partly because I think I want my next tattoo to be Molly and the unicorn, but partly because it always just makes me feel better about everything.

(And if anyone has any recommendations for books featuring unicorns where the author isn’t crowing at their own cleverness by making unicorns evil/poisonous/otherwise nasty creatures, I’ll gladly take them. Right now I’ve got Last Unicorn, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and In Calabria as my trifecta of “unicorns done the way I like them” books if that helps.)

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Eason the Fifth posted:

Any recommendations for independent fantasy authors? I've got an itch to explore some self-published stuff just because it has the potential to be something different and weird that might not make it past publishing houses, but a lot of self-published stuff frankly sucks. I'd like to find a few good authors and support them but there's also a sea of crap to wade through, so just kinda looking for some direction here.

Zachary Pike? Starting with Orconomics. It’s basically a comedy series.

Evan Winter started out self published with the Rage of Dragons, but then got picked up by a traditional publisher I think.

Neither are really that different that I couldn’t imagine them being picked up by a regular publisher (obviously in the case of the latter).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Looking forward to the grace and empathy with which the SFF community handles this

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Dune (#1) by Frank Herbert - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7NPRY8/

The Martian by Andy Weir - $4.50
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EMXBDMA/

A Deadly Education (Scholomance #1) by Naomi Novik - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083RZC8KQ/

Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5L7H71/

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Illustrated Edition by Douglas Adams - $4.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XUBC2C/

Storm Front (Dresden Files #1) by Jim Butcher - $1.50
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WH7PLS/

Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy #2) by Robin Hobb - $4.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBFMFW/

Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy #3) by Robin Hobb - $4.50
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBFMFM/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

pradmer posted:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Illustrated Edition by Douglas Adams - $4.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XUBC2C/

Amazon prizing is loving wild.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

General Battuta posted:

Looking forward to the grace and empathy with which the SFF community handles this

Her dog already owned the poo poo out of her by stealing her spot in the bed in the middle of the night, not sure it can get any worse than that.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kestral posted:

I don't think the name rings any bells for me. What's the book to check out?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rand Brittain posted:

Thirding Jenna Moran as an underrated indie author, definitely worth your time.

genericnick posted:

The Dragon Waiting is probably the one to go for since it's actually in print again; the rest of his bibliography will be returning fairly soon. If you're in to alt-history that also posits the existence and influence of magic, it's probably going to be up your alley. The Amazon summary is pretty decent:

quote:

The Wars of the Roses have put Edward IV on the throne of England, Lorenzo de' Medici's court shines brilliantly, and Duke Galeazzo Maria Sforza plots in Milan. But this is a changed world, and medieval Europe is dominated by the threat from the Byzantine Empire. Sforza, the Vampire Duke, marshals his forces for his long-planned attack on Florence, and Byzantium is on the march. A mercenary, the exiled heir to the Byzantine throne, a young woman physician forced to flee Florence, and a Welsh wizard, the nephew of Owain Gly Dwr, seem to have no common goals but together they wage an intrigue-filled campaign against the might of Byzantium, striving to secure the English throne for Richard, Duke of Gloucester, and make him Richard III.

... but I'll add that this is also an alternate history in which the very real Roman emperor Julian the Apostate manages to not get killed in the Battle of Samarra and instead becomes the emperor who prevents Christianity from becoming the state religion. It gets considerably weirder from there.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Some of his blog comments are good work, let alone the stuff that got published.

Well now I'm curious!

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Kestral posted:

Well now I'm curious!

He was active on Making Light (the Nielsen-Haydens' blog), which I think is still up.
(Also in the Steve Jackson Games Pyramid forums, back when it was behind the paywall, but those posts are lost forever.) Not sure where else.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Groke posted:

This reminds me that I've not read any Schaefer. She seems to have an imperial poo poo-ton of books; what would be something good and representative to try?

She pumped out like 5 books a year for a while. Start with the first Daniel Faust book, the Long Way Down.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
She mostly took the last year or so off to get her head in order and not suffer from burnout, but has a new Faust novel coming out soon regardless. I'm still not convinced she's not 3 AIs stacked up in a trenchcoat.

Currently her first book is free on Kindle I believe. It's also on KU. Title is The Long Way Down.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today I found and bought Caleb Carr's "The Legend of Broken" from a used bookstore - it is wild to me to find a one-volume fantasy epic from an author who sold a best-seller (the Alienist) and yet I've heard nothing about this? Has anyone read this book?

Glad you mentioned this, I’ve started it and it’s good so far! I think I’m missing all the footnotes due to audiobook of they are there, but haven’t felt the lack yet. I gotta say the cover really does it no favors though.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

pradmer posted:

Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy #2) by Robin Hobb - $4.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBFMFW/

Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy #3) by Robin Hobb - $4.50
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBFMFM/

I really enjoyed the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb way back in the day. Really should have the first book of that series, though. Fitz goes through a lot. I think I might have preferred the Liveship Traders trilogy set in the same world more. CW for sexual assault in the latter trilogy, tho.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

But doctor, I am Graydon Saunders.

One of the things I like about Saunders is that he answers a lot of questions about the world of his books through a google group. Which then reveals that he's got a decent answer for most questions you have about that world so long as they're not plot points to future entries into the series.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
saunders/sanderson collab

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Braydon Saunderson

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Colonel Saunderson

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

genericnick posted:

I always enjoyed his The Last Hot Time, which is one of the best "fantasy '30s gangsters" novels I've seen.

He's also known for writing two of the best original Star Trek novels -- The Final Reflection, an interesting look at Klingon culture that was sadly retconned away by TNG, and How Much for Just the Planet?, which accomplishes the minor miracle of being a Trek comedy that's actually funny.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The tragedy is I can get through a Sanderson book but no longer want to, and I really want to get through a Saunders book but can’t.

They both write like different kinds of robots.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Selachian posted:

How Much for Just the Planet?, which accomplishes the minor miracle of being a Trek comedy that's actually funny.

It is a musical comedy in text form that somehow works. drat near black magic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'll throw out Tony Harmsworth for inspection. In addition to his SF novels he founded the Loch Ness Monster Visitor Centre and is one of the world's foremost experts on Nessie. All of his books are available from his website on Kindle, some also on Kobo, and there's a link to get Moonscape for free so the price is right.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

I’m overdue for a reread of The Last Unicorn. Partly because I think I want my next tattoo to be Molly and the unicorn, but partly because it always just makes me feel better about everything.

(And if anyone has any recommendations for books featuring unicorns where the author isn’t crowing at their own cleverness by making unicorns evil/poisonous/otherwise nasty creatures, I’ll gladly take them. Right now I’ve got Last Unicorn, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and In Calabria as my trifecta of “unicorns done the way I like them” books if that helps.)

If you’re good with younger fiction: the anthology A Glory of Unicorns compiled by Bruce Coville is near and dear to my heart.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Neuromancer is $1.99 on Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000O76ON6

edit: oh, so is Count Zero
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PDYVZM

see I have this entire wishlist named "things I want that I own in physical form" because gently caress owning books...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Which was the Gibson novel that involved blackmail via deepfake, iirc of the main character? I've been trying to remember for like two years, usually whenever the topic of deepfakes come up.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Which was the Gibson novel that involved blackmail via deepfake, iirc of the main character? I've been trying to remember for like two years, usually whenever the topic of deepfakes come up.
Idoru?

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
https://twitter.com/Pierce_Brown/status/1513594380942073861

Imagine writing dystopic YA and then putting out an NFT

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Nexus of loving Torment

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

habeasdorkus posted:

I think you might be thinking of Mona Lisa Overdrive where a prostitute named Mona receives plastic surgery so she can be an exact double of Angie Mitchell so the latter can be kidnapped, replaced, and, I think, experimented on because of the biosofts her father implanted in her brain when she was a child (she's the girl from Count Zero).

The only other ones that I can remember being somewhat close to that are in Virtual Light where the protagonist Berry loses his security job because of a fake emergency call, but that's more like swatting than a deepfake. And BlankSystemDaemon mentioned Idoru but Rei is not a deepfake but a Japanese virtual idol (hence the title: idoru is idol spoken with a Japanese accent).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Hmm, I think I was misremembering Virtual Light.