Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

smax posted:

Nah, that’s straight up Brotherhood of NOD poo poo right there.

Nodbass :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I joked about Russia being the brotherhood of nod and I regret this analogy heavily

--

The one thing I am sad I haven't seen from this whole thing is a tiktok video of Russian soldiers opening up the elephant's foot in Chernobyl

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 12, 2022

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

TheFluff posted:

Hope these :words: were of interest to someone.

This was really interesting. Thanks for the :words:!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Since we’re all finished murdering the hell out of Afghanis and Iraqis, hell yea let’s lean into international justice

- A Piece of poo poo

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

i am a moron posted:

Since we’re all finished murdering the hell out of Afghanis and Iraqis, hell yea let’s lean into international justice

- A Piece of poo poo
You're going to have to be more specific, since that quote could be attributed to an extremely non-zero number of representatives and senators.

(I know it's Graham in the article, but still.)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mulva posted:

I mean you just send them all the Javelins.

Wiki put the total amount of Javelins produced at only about 45,000, and when you consider must of been some used in Afghanistan and Iraq over the last twenty years, and there is a few thousands in total owned by other countries as well, Ukraine could actually have the majority of what the US actually has in stock.

There is obviously just a bunch of other Anti tank stuff that could also be incredibly helpful though.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mulva posted:

I mean you just send them all the Javelins. We'll never need them in the same way, what with having a devastatingly powerful air force and navy. There's pretty much nothing that could happen in the next year or so that would require us to have a bunch of Javelins on hand. For us they are neat, for them they are essential. Even at the current pace we could easy give them another month or three of Javelins as people start giving them heavier equipment. It's not yet a problem, but is a thing to keep an eye on so it doesn't become a problem down the road.

Russia is going to send the Kadryov WhatsApp to Mexico requesting they invade Texas and we will be forced to intervene.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

dr_rat posted:

Wiki put the total amount of Javelins produced at only about 45,000, and when you consider must of been some used in Afghanistan and Iraq over the last twenty years, and there is a few thousands in total owned by other countries as well, Ukraine could actually have the majority of what the US actually has in stock.

There is obviously just a bunch of other Anti tank stuff that could also be incredibly helpful though.

Such as the 2 US ABCTs mulling about Europe right now. I have it in Good source that they are very useful as an anti-tank system.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

FishBulbia posted:

you mean swedes? local drevlians were not part of rurikid clan. if you want to say put a national lens over a part of history where it doesnt belong.

In your opinion, at what point did house Rurik stop being Viking and start being locals?

That said, I do agree with you that trying to impose concepts like statehood and nationality on the middle ages is silly though. Still, that doesn't stop nationalists everywhere from doing so.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Abner Assington posted:

You're going to have to be more specific, since that quote could be attributed to an extremely non-zero number of representatives and senators.

(I know it's Graham in the article, but still.)

loving all of them. And I hate to continue comparing this to Iraq, it’s always going to be what I compare anything like this to since I was there. But thinking the US is so much better than Russia because we were killing folks in a faraway place with harder to empathize with people is just gross. We also attacked a country with a made up casus belli and killed innocents, no one should be acting like they’re better than if they lived within our borders and did nothing to stop it or cheered it on

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

BigRoman posted:

In your opinion, at what point did house Rurik stop being Viking and start being locals?

That said, I do agree with you that trying to impose concepts like statehood and nationality on the middle ages is silly though. Still, that doesn't stop nationalists everywhere from doing so.

Let's just say Korea is absolutely -213th Rome (which was the first)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""
Foreign Secretary Liz Truss:Reports that Russian forces may have used chemical agents in an attack on the people of Mariupol. We are working urgently with partners to verify details. Any use of such weapons would be a callous escalation in this conflict and we will hold Putin and his government to account
""

Yeah so this coincides with the plane talk earlier aswell.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

""
Foreign Secretary Liz Truss:Reports that Russian forces may have used chemical agents in an attack on the people of Mariupol. We are working urgently with partners to verify details. Any use of such weapons would be a callous escalation in this conflict and we will hold Putin and his government to account
""

Yeah so this coincides with the plane talk earlier aswell.

What are they going to do if it really is a chemical attack that they aren’t doing already?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Kraftwerk posted:

What are they going to do if it really is a chemical attack that they aren’t doing already?

No fly zone?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

i am a moron posted:

loving all of them. And I hate to continue comparing this to Iraq, it’s always going to be what I compare anything like this to since I was there. But thinking the US is so much better than Russia because we were killing folks in a faraway place with harder to empathize with people is just gross. We also attacked a country with a made up casus belli and killed innocents, no one should be acting like they’re better than if they lived within our borders and did nothing to stop it or cheered it on

I think we're better because when the US does commit war crimes we're allowed to criticize it without going to jail.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

depending on the weapon, we actually do have this problem. we have sent half the javelins produced in the last decade already. the actual stockpile number is classified, but at some point we will run through it unless we can significantly increase production very soon. ukraine is burning through these things at a crazy rate.

Never thought I'd see the day where America faced the prospect of running out of weapons to deliver to a proxy war.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

My assumption was that they would not resort to chemical/bio weapons since they could just do war crimes with conventional artillery Grozny style but maybe all that equipment and supplies getting blown to hell is making that not feasible?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

TheFluff posted:

glagolitic alphabet,

The glyph for "d" in that script is certainly something, was St. Cyril having a laugh?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

i am a moron posted:

It's not the same unless you think Saddam and Zelensky are equivalent.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

PeterCat posted:

It's not the same unless you think Saddam and Zelensky are equivalent.

Issuing statement you do not infact gotta hand it to saddam.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

i am a moron posted:

Invading Iraq was completely unjustified and totally bad, I agree. It never should have happened. It was quite different from what Putin is doing to Ukraine, though.

You need to be able to look at two bad things and make a real moral judgment as to which was worse. Just throwing up your hands and declaring that all bad things are equally bad leads to a lot of really hosed up conclusions.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mozi posted:

I think we're better because when the US does commit war crimes we're allowed to criticize it without going to jail.

We do have to go if we reveal the crimes in the first place, however.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deteriorata posted:

Invading Iraq was completely unjustified and totally bad, I agree. It never should have happened. It was quite different from what Putin is doing to Ukraine, though.

You need to be able to look at two bad things and make a real moral judgment as to which was worse. Just throwing up your hands and declaring that all bad things are equally bad leads to a lot of really hosed up conclusions.

You don't even have to have an opinion on which is worse. Unless someone invented a TARDIS and I didn't hear about it, there's precisely jack poo poo that can be done about the US invasion of Iraq twenty years after the fact. Meanwhile Russia is attacking Ukraine at this very moment, which is something we can do things about.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You don't even have to have an opinion on which is worse. Unless someone invented a TARDIS and I didn't hear about it, there's precisely jack poo poo that can be done about the US invasion of Iraq twenty years after the fact. Meanwhile Russia is attacking Ukraine at this very moment, which is something we can do things about.

I agree with this. It's enough to understand that what Putin is doing in Ukraine is morally repugnant. The anti-war tent should be as large as possible.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You don't even have to have an opinion on which is worse. Unless someone invented a TARDIS and I didn't hear about it, there's precisely jack poo poo that can be done about the US invasion of Iraq twenty years after the fact.

I dunno, there's always the option of rehabilitating it as a kind, civilized war, composed of accidental deaths and regrettable collateral damage. Makes it much easier to do it again later.

PegLegActual
Sep 11, 2001

Real Pirate. Real Amputee. Limping Through Life.
On the same day as the rumored chemical attack...the Ukrainian government contacts me after a solid month of vetting to say I've been green lit and issues me an official invite to Kyiv.
What are the chances? And yes, they know about my lovely prosthetic.
(Can verify for mods. Say no to more war tourists)

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

My assumption was that they would not resort to chemical/bio weapons since they could just do war crimes with conventional artillery Grozny style but maybe all that equipment and supplies getting blown to hell is making that not feasible?

If they really are working to this May deadline to get Putin his win for his parade maybe they've decided that Mariupol is going to be it so they've moved in the chemical weapons to make sure it falls in time. Wonder if Putin will have Azov chained and dragged along the street Roman Emperor style

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Javelin salesman cant believe his luck

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Scapegoat posted:

If they really are working to this May deadline to get Putin his win for his parade maybe they've decided that Mariupol is going to be it so they've moved in the chemical weapons to make sure it falls in time. Wonder if Putin will have Azov chained and dragged along the street Roman Emperor style

I suspect this chemical weapon will end up being something like tear gas and everyone will stand down from it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Crespolini posted:

I dunno, there's always the option of rehabilitating it as a kind, civilized war, composed of accidental deaths and regrettable collateral damage. Makes it much easier to do it again later.

Sure, I'll start. Remember the Coalition of the Willing? The US spent years building up to the Iraq war loudly explaining its (entirely fictitious) reasons for the upcoming conflict, and rounded up dozens of other countries to give the upcoming slaughter moral legitimacy. Compare and contrast to Russia who, up until the day before the invasion of Ukraine, was claiming it had no plans to invade, and went to war with noted independent third party Belarus. Things can always get worse.

I didn't think I'd ever hold up George Bush as having done a good job, but time and Putin make fools of us all.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FishBulbia posted:

Wait till you learn about who used to be the head of f1
I'm waiting and Idk what to even look for

FishBulbia posted:

Let's just say Korea is absolutely -213th Rome (which was the first)

HyperRome

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 12, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm waiting and Idk what to even look for
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Mosley

He was head of the FIA which is F1's parent company.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mystic Mongol posted:

Sure, I'll start. Remember the Coalition of the Willing? The US spent years building up to the Iraq war loudly explaining its (entirely fictitious) reasons for the upcoming conflict, and rounded up dozens of other countries to give the upcoming slaughter moral legitimacy. Compare and contrast to Russia who, up until the day before the invasion of Ukraine, was claiming it had no plans to invade, and went to war with noted independent third party Belarus. Things can always get worse.

I didn't think I'd ever hold up George Bush as having done a good job, but time and Putin make fools of us all.

Also, as others have mentioned: Saddam was a really lovely person who very certainly committed war crimes. By rights, he should've gone to the Hague and died in a prison cell instead of ending up on the gallows in Iraq. Even if the war was a gigantic clusterfuck, and it totally was, the world is better off for not having Hussein in it. The best thing you could say about him is he kept things so brutally repressed by any means necessary that it was convenient for our own interests, and honestly... that's not great.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Conventional artillery has practical limits when dealing with heavily built up areas. You can wreck the buildings, you can kill a lot of people, but after the bombardment is done soldiers will emerge from their bunkers and take up positions once again. Chemical weapons OTOH have a habit of sinking into the bunkers and shelters and basements. That's the military logic and is presumably why they were used in Syria.

Of course, those shelters and basements are always filled with the surviving civilians of the urban area...oh well!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Mosley

He was head of the FIA which is F1's parent company.

This just says he was into weird sex stuff, not that he was an actual Nazi.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

I haven't a clue. Looks like it is rather boringly landing in Belfast, so its ultimate destination is still a mystery.

Has crossed Italy by now.

FishBulbia posted:

That said, I don't see how a rich 16 year old twerp doing a italian fascist salute during the italian anthem is related to the war in Ukraine.

Real mystery that one, innit?

TheFluff posted:

Hope these :words: were of interest to someone.

They were indeed!

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

KillHour posted:

he once raced on a car with the flash in the pan logo (the logo of the british union of facists back in the 70s I think)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

KillHour posted:

His dad was Oswald Moseley the founder of the British Union of Fascists, and he campaigned for neo-nazis in his early political career before he switched to motorsports.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Iraq also invaded a neighboring state unprovoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

a pipe smoking dog posted:

His dad was Oswald Moseley the founder of the British Union of Fascists, and he campaigned for neo-nazis in his early political career before he switched to motorsports.

his dad is the guy who runs the UK in hearts of iron if germany wins