Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

oh poo poo, oh gently caress

I've seen that suggested before, and on examining the evidence, it doesn't seem to fit.

Yuta's only other actors are Eri, and his dad. Other people only show up in "real" footage. Yuta's dad is capable of taking the role, but older Yuta lacks some of the wrinkles that his dad had, and extensive makeup work seems outside the scope of his project.

Something else really interesting for framing the last scenes as part of the film?

It's the one part of the story that isn't filmed. Yuta drops his camera in shock when he sees Eri again, and never picks it up again on panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Yeah how everything can be seen as being within the meta of making fiction or a movie is very good. It’s very post modern in playing with the expectation of a story and blurring the line between fiction, fantasy and reality. I’m a sucker for these kinds of narrative twists.

Whether it’s real or not is besides the point I suppose to the idea of finishing the work properly. Though I like the idea of all that being filmed with someone else playing him as an adult, maybe it’s his dad?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It could be a deepfake given that he has so much footage. Although yeah it probably makes most sense to take it as a 'pinch of fantasy'.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It makes sense to me in the context that like, eri gets to be remembered as an immortal vampire rather than a dying girl. Also yuta gets to end the movie on his own terms, with an explosion.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Points that speak for the end being real:
-The shelf in the movie room is almost empty. All other shots with "old" Eri has it full. The tiles in the room and the couch are battered, too.
-The building actually exploding instead of explosions only being laid on top of it.

Points speaking against it:
-The derelict building still existing after 20-30 years. It appears older, but there are still the same crates standing outside.
-He drops a phone, but that could be used just as a prop.
-He might just have gotten better at special effects.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I've seen that suggested before, and on examining the evidence, it doesn't seem to fit.

Yuta's only other actors are Eri, and his dad. Other people only show up in "real" footage. Yuta's dad is capable of taking the role, but older Yuta lacks some of the wrinkles that his dad had, and extensive makeup work seems outside the scope of his project.

Something else really interesting for framing the last scenes as part of the film?

It's the one part of the story that isn't filmed. Yuta drops his camera in shock when he sees Eri again, and never picks it up again on panel.

I mean are you sure Eri and Dad were the only actors in the movie? Until that scene with Eri's friend we had no reason to think that what we were seeing of Eri and Yuta's relationship was false but turns out arguably every scene of them could have been scripted. Did we see a single scene of her with glasses? One of the points of the reveal about mom is to highlight that art doesn't necessarily tell the truth. And hell, the comic itself states part of the fun of a story like this is the puzzle of trying to tell apart fact from fiction. I don't think the story wants that distinction to be clear cut.

Hell, I think you could make a strong argument that everything in the story could just be part of the movie.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I think we can all agree that Tatsuki Fujimoto is the absolute best in the business.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I like how Fujimoto uses the properties of the manga medium to tell this story. That being, this presented as a mockumentary art house film would be also work.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Most of the one panels in the oneshot are very static, with basically a fixed camera, since Yuta is either holding it while filming the person he's talking to, or he's set it down to film himself. This changes in the ending though, where we get a lot more movement framing wise, the camera is changing angles almost every panel, like in the page where Yua asks if she won't live in despair.

Whether this supports the theory that that part is a movie or not I don't know, just found it interesting that Fujimoto is pulling all the tricks he can in this one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scallop Eyes posted:

Most of the one panels in the oneshot are very static, with basically a fixed camera, since Yuta is either holding it while filming the person he's talking to, or he's set it down to film himself. This changes in the ending though, where we get a lot more movement framing wise, the camera is changing angles almost every panel, like in the page where Yua asks if she won't live in despair.

Whether this supports the theory that that part is a movie or not I don't know, just found it interesting that Fujimoto is pulling all the tricks he can in this one.

Notice that the camera only moves freely once Yuta drops his phone. Eri showing up alive leads to a dramatic change in the structure, from being all "filmed" from the same prospective, to being the typical omniscient eye of manga paneling.

I'm not sure if that makes those scenes more real or less, but it definitely makes them have more impact than if they hadn't been set up like this.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Hace posted:

you could also read it as a scene that they recorded earlier, with some other guy taking the part of older yuta in another acted scene. it would fit in with yuta always controlling the camera in every scene too.
I don't think you need to add a new element out of nowhere, if you exclude that there ends up being something really beautiful: That guy really is older Yuta, but the footage of Eri was recorded in the past. Yuta edited it to make it seem like they were in the same room. He waited until he was old enough for the ending they came up with.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sockpuppetclock posted:

I don't think you need to add a new element out of nowhere, if you exclude that there ends up being something really beautiful: That guy really is older Yuta, but the footage of Eri was recorded in the past. Yuta edited it to make it seem like they were in the same room. He waited until he was old enough for the ending they came up with.

I've seen that theory a lot, but I don't like it.

It means that Eri's story is exactly what she accused it of being. No touch of fantasy. It also doesn't explain how the camera managed to film itself, unless there was an unmentioned second camera added in at some point that was much more dynamic than the initial one.

Check out the movements in the last act. The cell phone camera couldn't do that, even if it wasn't crashed on the floor. Yuta would need a second cameraman to do it, and we don't see hide or hair of anyone who could pull that duty. It's pulling in an alien element, just the same as the vampire one, but this one would be unforeshadowed. It's just that this is "realistic" in a work of fiction, same as people trying to argue that Fujino only imagined the other timeline in Look Back, despite the comic she finds on the floor not making sense without a touch of the supernatural.

It's also kind of weird thematically, because Yuta is visibly disturbed with the idea of immortality through the film. Him placing that in to

Basically, even if I was convinced it was true, I'd think it would weaken the story.

However, I did see something pointed out in the way of editing that made the manga work even better for me.

Something I found off about the Eri reveal was the scene at the hospital. She just met Yuta out of the blue, but she already had her glasses off and her retainer out. Weird, right?

If you look closely, though, there's a gap in the recording, notable because the parking lot looks different.

In other words, after Eri convinced Yuta to not commit suicide, she insisted he reshoot his attempt because she didn't look good enough, without explaining why she was doing all this. And it's not just an explanation for an oddity, it's exactly the kind of bitch move that Yuta edited out!

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 14, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hace posted:

you could also read it as a scene that they recorded earlier, with some other guy taking the part of older yuta in another acted scene. it would fit in with yuta always controlling the camera in every scene too.

I subscribe to the idea that it is a deepfake. Given theme of the manga, it would be fitting.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
wanted to show a friend look back but manga+ removed all their old one shots apparently

why continue to provide a worse service than free sites

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
They’re on the SJ app

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

They’re on the SJ app

Look Back is only for paid subscribers, mind.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chainsaw
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1526231008672198657?t=7_bX-5fCiXv8bISaya_1mw&s=19
Chainsaw chainsaw

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Nice can't wait to waste more money on Chainsawman toys in celebration.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I guess I might actually watch a release anime this year

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Thoren posted:

Nice can't wait to waste more money on Chainsawman toys in celebration.

I have a Power nendo, myself.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

I have a Power nendo, myself.

I have a Power refrigerator magnet.

I'm interested to see how characters are viewed when the anime comes out. VAs and little touches can do a lot to shape fan perception in an anime compared to the manga. Getting a little more time with Himeno, for example, could elevate her profile a bit, while rushing things could lead to her being kind of forgettable.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

so are the old fujimoto webcomics legit his or not

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Chainsawman was nominated for an Eisner Award. It’s up against some tough competition like Lovesickness, a Junji Ito collection, and Spy X Family, alongside some less tough competition like Zom 100 Bucket List of the Dead and Kaiju No 8

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

When the anime starts, someone figure out how to make this the title

https://twitter.com/psicochurroz/status/1531740181606309888?t=Rks_98ZpIcq7dZoHjgj95g&s=19

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Double post because the cover for Goodbye Eri rules

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nice little thematic touch that the filmed image of Eri keeps us from seeing her real face.

Part 2 is supposed to be this summer, but there's an unrelated one-shot in July first. Fujimoto's just doing the writing for that one, though. One of his former assistants is doing the art which, optimistically, suggests he's gotten started on Part 2.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It’s confirmed for next month!!

https://twitter.com/chainsawman_pr/status/1538809127589359617?s=21&t=8tJ6gFB26FEe2CD8BlSm8A

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The biggest "lets loving go" image to ever exist.png

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Pierson posted:

The biggest "lets loving go" image to ever exist.png

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

:worship:

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

hell yeah. god is good

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Let's loving go :rms:

One good consequence of it being in Jump+ is no leaked spoilers too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does jump+ stuff show up on the viz app?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Does jump+ stuff show up on the viz app?

They do have some Jump+ stuff on there so if they decide to run it (which I don't see why they wouldn't) it will.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah there's already Jump+ series on the app (Kaiju no8, SpyxFamily, Ghost Reaper Girl) but Dandadan is a good example of what i expect will happen with CSM and it'll be web-only through Viz. they already had that single chapter pulled from the app for content, and i don't see why Fujimoto would be switching to Jump+ unless there was an idea that part 2 is heavier on content they consider unfriendly for print Jump.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
We have a title!
https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1542614131970392064

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If anyone hasn't read To Strip The Flesh they probably should btw. It's a really good one-shot.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just Listen to the Song is short but cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Just Listen to the Song is short but cute.

Yeah, I was kind of expecting another ultra-massive manga of the year contender like the last couple of Fujimoto one-shots, but this was more like his older stuff. Short odd idea, expressed well.