Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

tater_salad posted:

How are the 18v 5.5" how quickly will it chew through battery. Basically I've been ripping throgh the 2x4s they used as loving.decking.. between the stringers and then using the sawzall to cut out the stringers. I've got like 2 4ah, 2 3ah and I think 4 1.5ah batteries. If they're not going to overheat while ripping old rear end wet 2x4s, I'll try and grab a worm drive.

I've got a corded saw and two battery (one ryobi and one DeWalt 20v). The key to battery saws is 4ah batteries. You'll cut several 4x8 sheets no problem. If you have batteries to cycle out you should be fine.

If it's an all day thing, you need more power, and you've got an outlet nearby, a corded saw might be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This will be a 2 hour deal. I have lots of battetirs and chargers. But I may go corded for this project the 5.5" blade is going to mean the full (1/2) of the blade is buried. It's.not cutting sheet goods.. it's demo that's made easier with a circ than a recip because I can just run between the nail lines.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Sadly my areas used tool market in my area is 80% of new. Or found in grandpa's basement doesn't work $15 for parts only.

How are the 18v 5.5" how quickly will it chew through battery. Basically I've been ripping throgh the 2x4s they used as loving.decking.. between the stringers and then using the sawzall to cut out the stringers. I've got like 2 4ah, 2 3ah and I think 4 1.5ah batteries. If they're not going to overheat while ripping old rear end wet 2x4s, I'll try and grab a worm drive.

What brand? I have a Ryobi tiny saw like that I used to make some quick cuts on 2x4s a bit back and I was surprised by how good it felt, even with the lovely stock blade. I'm not sure how fast it eats battery though, i didn't make that many cuts.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I need to sharpen some Forstner bits after drat near starting a fire trying to hog out the bulk of a vase I'm turning. Any suggestions for a diamond file/set for this purpose, or are they pretty much all the same these days?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Well 5.5" blade means 2 3/4 inch is full depth. A 2x4 is 1 3/4 inch so I guess that's closer to 1" of free blade ( so a bit less bogging than my brain thought ). We're not talking quick cuts.. were talking running the saw through a line of 10 2x4s, then doing the same on the other side. Picking up the liberated wood then doing it 4 times across. Then doing the next 10 until I go those about 40 2x4s (yes the PO decked with 2x4s it's so awesome).

I'd do this with a recip saw but the horizontal joists get in the way so I end up bouncing off of them, a circular saw means I can just set the depth to 2" and rip right down the deck come back later and remove the joists.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Well 5.5" blade means 2 3/4 inch is full depth. A 2x4 is 1 3/4 inch so I guess that's closer to 1" of free blade ( so a bit less bogging than my brain thought ). We're not talking quick cuts.. were talking running the saw through a line of 10 2x4s, then doing the same on the other side. Picking up the liberated wood then doing it 4 times across. Then doing the next 10 until I go those about 40 2x4s (yes the PO decked with 2x4s it's so awesome).

I'd do this with a recip saw but the horizontal joists get in the way so I end up bouncing off of them, a circular saw means I can just set the depth to 2" and rip right down the deck come back later and remove the joists.

Yeah, I can see that. I was just offering the bit that I did know, which is that my Ryobi's power felt pretty good. However, I'm not sure how well it'll work under the circumstances you described. I think if you made sure all your batteries were charged before you started, you'd be unlikely to run out of juice.

I have my own insane deck demolition project to work on this summer so at some point I might be able to share my experiences:

The very bottom layer of the deck appears to be attached to sunk posts, so at some point this project might not have been a disaster. But the half nearest the house is slanting toward the house and is resting on stacked beams:

That part of the rail wobbles pretty alarmingly if you try and wiggle it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Got a good craigslist score.
I just moved to a house with a little baby grass lawn from a house with no lawn. Guy on Craigslist replaced his mower with a 20" brushless Ryobi cordless mower about 3 months ago, and then moved from a house with a lawn to a house with no lawn.
$145 and it looks extremely clean and barely used. I did have to drive ~20 minutes to get it, which today means a not negligible cost for fuel.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tater_salad posted:

This will be a 2 hour deal. I have lots of battetirs and chargers. But I may go corded for this project the 5.5" blade is going to mean the full (1/2) of the blade is buried. It's.not cutting sheet goods.. it's demo that's made easier with a circ than a recip because I can just run between the nail lines.

get a full size corded!! It'll last you a lifetime and 7 1/4 blades are less expensive than 6 1/2 ... cordless circ saws are really liberating and will have you using your circ saw in all new ways but this project has corded written all over it

convince this old codger to ship this beauty to you
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/371053891563340/

canyoneer posted:

Got a good craigslist score.
I just moved to a house with a little baby grass lawn from a house with no lawn. Guy on Craigslist replaced his mower with a 20" brushless Ryobi cordless mower about 3 months ago, and then moved from a house with a lawn to a house with no lawn.
$145 and it looks extremely clean and barely used. I did have to drive ~20 minutes to get it, which today means a not negligible cost for fuel.

:hellyeah:

this uses the 40v batteries?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

OMG that saw is beautiful 😍

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

get a full size corded!! It'll last you a lifetime and 7 1/4 blades are less expensive than 6 1/2 ... cordless circ saws are really liberating and will have you using your circ saw in all new ways but this project has corded written all over it

convince this old codger to ship this beauty to you
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/371053891563340/

:hellyeah:

this uses the 40v batteries?

yes, 40v batteries. Pretty pleased with it.

The circular saw I want is this dinosaur old Porter Cable with "TOM SILVA" written on the housing in blue sharpie. I hope this artifact will let me absorb some of his power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlm3SciI-s

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If someone took the time to write/etch their name into a tool, they are likely the kind of person you want to buy tools from.

Funny because its a thing my dad did all the time. My first few power tools were garage sale finds from old guys who did the same. Sure as poo poo, go in my garage and all my powertools have my name on them.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

The circular saw I want is this dinosaur old Porter Cable with "TOM SILVA" written on the housing in blue sharpie. I hope this artifact will let me absorb some of his power.

I think that's a Saw Boss
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353999684134?hash=item526c068226:g:mBoAAOSwvRpiUOMJ

He uses a Porter Cable 314 trim saw too, it's a blade-right worm drive w a 4 1/2" blade. Super cool saw but they're pricey and idk what I'd use it for

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

I need to sharpen some Forstner bits after drat near starting a fire trying to hog out the bulk of a vase I'm turning. Any suggestions for a diamond file/set for this purpose, or are they pretty much all the same these days?

I've had good luck with some basic needle files, regular type not diamond.

My bits were also super dull but I wasn't drilling into anything particularly hard so it was good enough. Mostly just takes patience.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

Typical guy bragging about his giant deck..

Don't make me post pics.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Re: Worm drive Skil saw, I've got a DeWalt cordless coming in from the Home Depot hack this weekend so will be selling the worm drive. It's stupidly powerful but I find excuses not to use it it's so heavy. Now that I have my bandsaw don't need the horsepower to do big rip cuts either which is what I got it for.

How much should I be looking to get for it? Also, anyone in central Texas who needs one give me a shout.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bob Mundon posted:

Re: Worm drive Skil saw, I've got a DeWalt cordless coming in from the Home Depot hack this weekend so will be selling the worm drive. It's stupidly powerful but I find excuses not to use it it's so heavy. Now that I have my bandsaw don't need the horsepower to do big rip cuts either which is what I got it for.

How much should I be looking to get for it? Also, anyone in central Texas who needs one give me a shout.

In my area a saw like that would get listed for a bill and sold for probably $75 depending on age if it's in ready to use today condition. More if it's closer to new less if it's older. This is extremely dependent on what the used market around you is like. Look around craigslist and Facebook marketplace for comps and try and settle around what you see every one else charging. Unless your me, then you list it for $5 just to get it the gently caress out of your shop OH MY GOD THERE'S SO MUCH poo poo PLEASE HELP ME I'M DROWNING.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Mundon posted:

I'd hold out for at least ~$100 for a grey handle skilsaw and maybe $130 for a mag77?

I recently sold this one for $125 but i'm in chicago

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I got lucky and bought the display brushless 7 1/4 circular saw from team neon green when I stopped in home depot for something last summer and have not plugged in my Makita since. I'd say its 95% as good as a corded and I haven't needed that 5% yet.

My only complaint is that you've got to be a little more careful with long rip cuts because it doesn't have the power to power though a quick pinch from a floppy board like a corded can.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

stealie72 posted:

I got lucky and bought the display brushless 7 1/4 circular saw from team neon green when I stopped in home depot for something last summer and have not plugged in my Makita since. I'd say its 95% as good as a corded and I haven't needed that 5% yet.

My only complaint is that you've got to be a little more careful with long rip cuts because it doesn't have the power to power though a quick pinch from a floppy board like a corded can.

Theres your 5%

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

canyoneer posted:

cast not in the name of Tom Silva, ye unworthy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Tom Silva voice: "The homeowner asked us to turn the attic of this 1830's home into a finished space, and we've got to do a lot here with the insulation for these New England winters. We're going to insulate it to R-55 and add some structural beams in case the home owners decide later to store a collection of gold bars, vintage bank vaults, or two to three African elephants upstairs"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BeatMasterJ was like the anti-Tom Silva

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

stealie72 posted:

Yeah exactly why I got the worm drive, even my cheapo corded wasn't even enough for that. Bandsaw now though so now just need one for quick crosscuts I don't want to be hassled with lugging out the Skil saw and cord. Unless I were to be cutting up 4x4 posts can't really see a need at this point.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Theres your 5%
This is what I get for posting before my coffee. Also, it's not really an issue now, but will become one when my kids eventually move away and I can't have one stand there and keep the floppy end steady.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've had good luck with some basic needle files, regular type not diamond.

My bits were also super dull but I wasn't drilling into anything particularly hard so it was good enough. Mostly just takes patience.

Thanks! :tipshat:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Like 6 months ago i promised a trip report on my 40v 18" Ryobi chainsaw when I did some actual work with it

This weekend I took down and bucked up a full sized (dead) scotch pine. It did the job well but I'm glad that I had two batteries.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Mower update: I decided to buy once and cry once, went with the Ego Select Cut XP with the 10ah battery. I probably would have been fine with a cheaper model but I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t need to replace the battery in 3 years to be able to my whole yard. 10ah batteries has a 5 year warranty while the smaller ones have a 3 year warranty. I cut and bagged my 1/3rd of acre lot with a hill and still had over 20% charge remaining. Vertical storage is the real reason everyone should by electric mowers.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

CommonShore posted:

Like 6 months ago i promised a trip report on my 40v 18" Ryobi chainsaw when I did some actual work with it

This weekend I took down and bucked up a full sized (dead) scotch pine. It did the job well but I'm glad that I had two batteries.

This has been my experience with the 18". Works great, hard to stall with good technique and a sharp chain, battery hungry as hell.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Mambold posted:

Don't make me post pics.

Whoa actual pictures of your work not just outdated dad jokes? No way

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Calidus posted:

Mower update: I decided to buy once and cry once, went with the Ego Select Cut XP with the 10ah battery. I probably would have been fine with a cheaper model but I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t need to replace the battery in 3 years to be able to my whole yard. 10ah batteries has a 5 year warranty while the smaller ones have a 3 year warranty. I cut and bagged my 1/3rd of acre lot with a hill and still had over 20% charge remaining. Vertical storage is the real reason everyone should by electric mowers.

Seriously, tucks right up against the wall. But I would argue the real reason is the spring tuneup involved sharpening the blade and popping the battery in. No more oil changes and spark plug/filter replacements.

Also don't know about the 10ah, but the 7.5 takes about as long to charge as the 2.5 takes to run out so it's pretty easy just to swap off the charger and perpetually have a fully charged battery.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Whoa actual pictures of your work not just outdated dad jokes? No way

This is the Tools thread. I'll post one in woodworking.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm about to experience an impending weather disaster which Environment Canada has said "prepare for long power outages" and I just bought an item that lets me charge my phone (3000 mAh battery, according to the spec sheet) from my cordless 18v power tool batteries, 4.0 Ah/72 Wh)

How many times will I be able to recharge that phone battery from my drill battery under ideal circumstances? 1.25x, as suggested from my basic understanding of the numbers seems... wrong, given how much chonkier that drill battery is than the phone.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 12, 2022

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You need the voltage of your phone as well. USB is 5V, but I don't know if that's what the actual phone is at. So I think then you'd multiple your (4/3) by (18/5) to get... 4.8? Yeah that doesn't sound right either.
E: I think you'd be able to charge 4.8 phones at once from your battery, but no idea about "capacity."

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 12, 2022

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
If this thing works well it could be a dream come true.

https://www.acmetools.com/dewalt-20...edium=affiliate

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

I'm about to experience an impending weather disaster which Environment Canada has said "prepare for long power outages" and I just bought an item that lets me charge my phone (3000 mAh battery, according to the spec sheet) from my cordless 18v power tool batteries, 4.0 Ah/72 Wh)

How many times will I be able to recharge that phone battery from my drill battery under ideal circumstances? 1.25x, as suggested from my basic understanding of the numbers seems... wrong, given how much chonkier that drill battery is than the phone.

Smartphone batteries work at 3.8 volts, which means your phone battery is ~ 3 x 3.8 = 11.4 Wh, so maybe about six times? It's DC to DC so it should be reasonably efficient but you'll probably still see some losses.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Danhenge posted:

Smartphone batteries work at 3.8 volts, which means your phone battery is ~ 3 x 3.8 = 11.4 Wh, so maybe about six times? It's DC to DC so it should be reasonably efficient but you'll probably still see some losses.

about 6x seems like a good enough estimate for my purposes. Thanks a ton. Wish me luck that I don't need to use the information!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Bob Mundon posted:

No more oil changes and spark plug/filter replacements.

Wait, what? You're supposed to do that?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CommonShore posted:

about 6x seems like a good enough estimate for my purposes. Thanks a ton. Wish me luck that I don't need to use the information!

Also sounds like you need more batteries

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Wait, what? You're supposed to do that?

You mean they aren't supposed to choke out after a couple years and billow smoke out the exhaust?

So happy I no longer have to deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

You mean they aren't supposed to choke out after a couple years and billow smoke out the exhaust?

So happy I no longer have to deal with that.

What's the point of mowing a lawn if you're not drowning the neighborhood in blue smoke?