Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Young Freud posted:

The thing I am wary of is what happens in after this war, with the identities of Russian soldiers and their families being known enough that various intelligence agencies can track looted items to them. It makes me a bit fearful if we're going to have an Ukrainian death squad of Russian-speaking infiltrators roving around Russia killing war criminals or worse, their families.

that’s a bit of a stretch to be worrying about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Young Freud posted:

The thing I am wary of is what happens in after this war, with the identities of Russian soldiers and their families being known enough that various intelligence agencies can track looted items to them. It makes me a bit fearful if we're going to have an Ukrainian death squad of Russian-speaking infiltrators roving around Russia killing war criminals or worse, their families.

That simply sounds like the natural process of ‘finding out’, which you would expect after all the loving around Russians have been doing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Young Freud posted:

Honestly I doubt that. I'm sure their will be many Ukrainians rightfully angry as hell, but normally that stuff just doesn't happen outside very particular circumstances. Particularly when there is likely to just be an absolute poo poo load of rebuilding done and what not.

Only slightly similar, but I know in Timor-leste despite a lot of of the Timorese having formed a bit of sizeable -for their population- Guerrilla force during the very brutal Indonesian occupation, that type of stuff just didn't happen. Been over their quite a bit, and mostly they were like, once they left, we still hated them obviously, but we also just wanted to get on with out lives and build everything up again.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Young Freud posted:

Oh no wont somebody think of the baby rapists

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Young Freud posted:

While Ukraine has every right to hold this against Russia for a hundred years or more, I don't think any hypothetical UA hunt squad is going to focus on people who stole a washing machine.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah Ukraine will have its hands full holding on/rebuilding/preparing within its own territory, sending Mossad-like squads into Russia is way out there in the low-prob reaches of the realm of possibles.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1514048888596045830
https://mobile.twitter.com/theragex/status/1513969834693992459
https://mobile.twitter.com/m_roszkowski/status/1513381111975579650

Young Freud posted:

I doubt they will track who stole who’s undergarments and likely be much more interested which unit did the war criming part. Likelihood of this happening if there is no Hague prosecution for war crimes? Possible

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

From the comments:

quote:

There are also a few M992 Field Artillery Ammunition Support Vehicles which is only Fielded by the United States.

Sounds like we're giving them the good poo poo.

Edit: A quick look on Wikipedia shows they're full of poo poo on "only Fielded by the United States" though

quote:

Users
Brazil - 40 (former U.S. Army)
Chile - 48 (former Swiss, upgraded by RUAG and FAMAE.)
Egypt - 275
Greece
Lebanon
Morocco - 85 in 2016[2]
South Korea - K66
Spain
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand
United States
Indonesia

Still, them's some big fuckin guns.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishBulbia posted:

I mean it depends on the intent. If Russian soldiers killed people in Bucha thinking about eliminating the biological substance of a people then its genocide, if they did it thinking about getting revenge then its just murder.

It's not genocide if you go to therapy afterwards, the hot new take it this summer

Next up is not genocide if you wear the right hat

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1514114429167837190?s=20&t=mlm0tbhB1NDY7a8nwgZIFg

Coming and going as they please.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/theragex/status/1513969834693992459

I doubt they will track who stole who’s undergarments and likely be much more interested which unit did the war criming part. Likelihood of this happening if there is no Hague prosecution for war crimes? Possible

Any check to see if there were unit markings on this equipment? The 1st Cav has troops in Poland, as well as other US Army units. Are we sure that this equipment is going to the Ukrainians and isn't just US Army equipment being moved to Poland?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KillHour posted:

From the comments:

Sounds like we're giving them the good poo poo.

Edit: A quick look on Wikipedia shows they're full of poo poo on "only Fielded by the United States" though

Still, them's some big fuckin guns.

155mm is the biggest that American mobile field artillery gets nowadays, because I think all the 203mms are long out of service.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 13, 2022

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

155mm is the biggest that American mobile field artillery gets nowadays, because I think all the 203mms are long out of service.

out of service in the US military but still in use for others,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M110_howitzer

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PeterCat posted:

Any check to see if there were unit markings on this equipment? The 1st Cav has troops in Poland, as well as other US Army units. Are we sure that this equipment is going to the Ukrainians and isn't just US Army equipment being moved to Poland?

Not being familiar with Polish geography I google mapped this. Gniezno is sort of central north-west Poland. They said it's heading towards the Ukrainian border, so perhaps the line it's on is just a line that's pretty much for that direction, but yeah, it's pretty far away from the border.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PeterCat posted:

We are not. This could be going to the NATO formations being now stood up in Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Doccers posted:

out of service in the US military but still in use for others,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M110_howitzer

Ukraine has their own 203s though.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Waiting for the time when these posts can be repititions of, 'Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and Ukraine is still Ukrainian.'
:ukraine:

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Oh no wont somebody think of the baby rapists

No, you see, the murderous, raping, invading individuals are the ones we need to give worries and thoughts to here. Sure, for every washing machine gained someone was bombed, shot, murdered, or raped, but let us think of the real victims here; obviously those who did nothing more than avail themselves of the 'free-stuff' section of Craigslist and the Belarusian version of FedEx.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hope the few eastern european countries actually giving a poo poo about the war and genocide can keep Ukraine supported, along with the US. Because I have zero faith in the german people or their politicians, and if France goes fash you'll have the 2 most powerful countries in the EU either vocally or passively backing Putin and doing everything they can to undo sanctions and block aid.

I hope history remembers the germans and other's cowardice and complicity in this genocide.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Never again, unless its mildly inconvenient

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nessus posted:

While Ukraine has every right to hold this against Russia for a hundred years or more, I don't think any hypothetical UA hunt squad is going to focus on people who stole a washing machine.

"Hello. My name is Ihor Moskalenko. You stole my Geforce RTX 3060. Prepare to die."

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I really hope the few eastern european countries actually giving a poo poo about the war and genocide can keep Ukraine supported, along with the US. Because I have zero faith in the german people or their politicians, and if France goes fash you'll have the 2 most powerful countries in the EU either vocally or passively backing Putin and doing everything they can to undo sanctions and block aid.

I hope history remembers the germans and other's cowardice and complicity in this genocide.

Germany, gas and genocide. Name a more iconic trio.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
China just sent Surface to Air missiles to Serbia.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-aleksandar-vucic-belgrade-serbia-nato-054211af534ec825441577e8bde45251

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Nenonen posted:

"Hello. My name is Ihor Moskalenko. You stole my Geforce RTX 3060. Prepare to die."

Death is too good for that crime

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nenonen posted:

Well yeah that's justifiable there, especially if they used it for mining.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

bad_fmr posted:

Rum, sodomy, and the lash.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Young Freud posted:

It sounds like it will form the basis of a big budget Hollywood movie in a couple of years time. Like Munich.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Yes. It has become fairly clear that for the current Germany, and also to France if Le Pen wins, the "security of Europe is first priority" means that they don't give a gently caress about anything or anyone east of Cottbus or north of Flensburg. It would be foolish for either Finland or Sweden to expect that either one does anything to help us should the Russians be crazy enough to start a second front.

The reasons would be "because it would be really inconvenient and hurt our economy" and/or because they tire of doing the amateur hour act of not supporting Putin's regime because of their internal reasons. What Scholz is doing right now, is being very efficient on dismantling all credibility of the EU as something else than the playhouse where you do exactly what Germany and/or France wants, or sit in the corner sulking. If France gets its act together after the election, Scholz just assures that he will be remembered as "Putin-supporting pathetic weiner" everywhere outside Germany, no matter how much he will be celebrated in his home country for being the one that kept them out of the conflict.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 13, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think history should hold things against countries too hard after 2 or 3 generations if a country makes changes. That can also lead to dangerous bullshit like the Chinese grudge against the British 180 years after the opium wars or so. Or according to most of the British, every German person, whether child, foreigner who came to Germany after WWII or jew is a nazi, with no exceptions. I have it on good authority that they're mostly not.

I agree with the rest of what you wrote. I think it's great to call them out on the international stage. Ukraine seems to have decided, rightfully I think, that Germany can't be any more harmful than it already is to them, so might as well embarrass them.

bad_fmr posted:

Only with mod/IK approval that it's a free for all.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Der Kyhe posted:

The reasons would be "because it would be really inconvenient and hurt our economy" and/or because they tire of doing the amateur hour act of not supporting Putin's regime because of their internal reasons.

It's also kind of a smart move to let your military atrophy to the point that you can always excuse yourself by shrugging and saying "Sure we'll help you. We'll allow Albania to sell you these WWI tanks we sold them for scraps in 1990. Oh, that's not good enough? Sorry, it's all we have to offer".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Only with mod/IK approval that it's a free for all.

Make a PYF thread and poo poo there. :colbert:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Coming and going as they please.

https://twitter.com/jakubkumoch/status/1514098241201217542

If you’ve ever thought of like Macron as a posh guy, just wait until you hear our president talk.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Seems a little risky having all those presidents with a known schedule near a place that was a recent warzone

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Despera posted:

Seems a little risky having all those presidents with a known schedule near a place that was a recent warzone

Why?

It's not like Russia has anything to gain by "accidently" hitting their train unless Putin wants to escalate the war, in which case there are more advantageous ways to do it - and he probably doesn't want to set the precedent for targeted killings of presidents.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Despera posted:

I bet the photo wasn't tweeted right after it was taken.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Geolocated this vid to this spot, based on the distinct signal house by the tracks:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Gn...7.5826575?hl=en

Following that rail line it looks like these can only be going north, towards the Baltics. So guessing it's for a US unit headed to reinforce them.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Despera posted:

I don't know about the Baltics constitutions, but the Polish president has basically no power, most of the executive powers are in the PM, who already visited with Czech and Slovene PMs (and the actual real guy with power in Poland - Kaczynski) back when things were more dicey.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Despera posted:

I don't think even Russians are stupid enough to kill four EU/NATO presidents.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mmkay posted:

I don't know about the Baltics constitutions, but the Polish president has basically no power, most of the executive powers are in the PM, who already visited with Czech and Slovene PMs (and the actual real guy with power in Poland - Kaczynski) back when things were more dicey.

Baltics are the same. Presidents must announce laws and have soft veto power over them, but that’s really it - well, with some generic European president bureaucracy duties. Most visible task of the president of Latvia, e.g., is to do the Christmas speech with their spouse.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/jakubkumoch/status/1514098241201217542

If you’ve ever thought of like Macron as a posh guy, just wait until you hear our president talk.

I wonder when Orban will travel to Moscow to show his support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Scandinavia is firmly behind Ukraine on this as well - including on a government level. I know we're not Germany or France, but combined we're a decently chunky economic bloc. Denmark has sent pretty much our entire stores of ATGMs to Ukraine, paid and facilitated undisclosed armaments from elsewhere and sent basically all we could muster of battle-worthy materiel to our Baltic deployment.

But yeah, it is hugely disappointing that Germany is being awkwardly reticient about open and clear support of Ukraine. France not stepping up as the "Defender of Europe" was a disappointment, but perhaps not quite as unexpected due to their domestic problems. Southern Europe? Greece, Italy and Spain always confuse me. I think Portugal has been pretty cool about supporting Ukraine, if I am not mistaken. I don't know why the Netherlands are not stronger in support, considering the whole MH17 thing, but I guess their government was bought by Russia or something.

Sadly I think Germany and France expected Ukraine to fall and then opportunistically use that to rally support for greater EU military integration and talk big about the threat to EU security. When Ukraine actually held out things became awkward and extremely inconvenient.

PederP fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 13, 2022