Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

TIP posted:

waffle parties, music/dance experiences, etc...

they're slaves

coffee. cozies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The situation in the show would not actually work in real life.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

The situation in the show would not actually work in real life.

Yeah, companies would never let their employees have so much down time while in office.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I would agree to be severed for my workplace if I could get multiple other Docs
1) a Doc whose job it is to drop huge mudpies only. I hit that batroom door, it's over for me and the game is just beginning for Doc-1
2) a Doc who is trapped at the gym. I bet this secretly kicks rear end by allowing you to see your gains in a more compressed manner
3) this one is a little harder but a Doc whose sole purpose is to do all my menial house chores. I figure if the company's gonna be spying on me anyway, someone can monitor the switches to make sure this is happening as needed
4) obviously, a Doc who is trapped at work.

idk what we gotta do to make this happen. 4 severs, 4 chips? gimme it baby. we talkin one chip but it's a quadcore? let's party ms cobel

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Romes128 posted:

Yeah, companies would never let their employees have so much down time while in office.

have you ever worked in an office?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah lol nothing happens in offices

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Aye Doc posted:

1) a Doc whose job it is to drop huge mudpies only. I hit that batroom door, it's over for me and the game is just beginning for Doc-1
2) a Doc who is trapped at the gym. I bet this secretly kicks rear end by allowing you to see your gains in a more compressed manner
3) this one is a little harder but a Doc whose sole purpose is to do all my menial house chores. I figure if the company's gonna be spying on me anyway, someone can monitor the switches to make sure this is happening as needed

idk what we gotta do to make this happen. 4 severs, 4 chips? gimme it baby. we talkin one chip but it's a quadcore? let's party ms cobel

You forgot one: The Doc who is always commuting - this one is pure hell.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I would get severed so my innie could play all of my favorite video games for the first time

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The Postman posted:

I would get severed so my innie could play all of my favorite video games for the first time

:hmmyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dentist innie

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i would only sever half so i always have a friend :-)

also i bet that's one of the protocols, both active at once

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Lots of parts of this definitely reminded me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, especially Adam Scott's outtie. I binged it in two days but will definitely go back later and give this a slower re-watch to see what else I can pick up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Aye Doc posted:

1. I can't imagine what this existence would be like. Wake up, big poo poo about to come out, sit down, poo poo, wipe, get up, wash hands, walk to door, big poo poo about to come out, sit down...
2. This probably would be pretty neat. Do your reps, go to walk out, walk back in, check your gains, you're refreshed, do more reps.
3. This would probably be the worst one. At least taking a big poo poo is satisfying, nothing satisfying about cleaning up a mess you didn't make.

Also, how do you handle cleaning the bathroom? Does innie 3 do it, or does innie 1 just realize that there's no poo poo on the way and he's holding cleaning supplies?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Khanstant posted:

i would only sever half so i always have a friend :-)

also i bet that's one of the protocols, both active at once

That's reintegration, it causes mad nosebleeds if you don't take the meds.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
reintegration seems like a merging of the two. i'm talking more of an extreme bicameral mind kind of thing. like a two headed ogre with each half a head

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm a bit disappointed they didn't do what i originaly thought they were doing with mark's boss.

for a while i thought there was a twist or gimmick that she was severed, but that both of her knew a whole lot, just in a different way, and that's why she acted different at work and as "mrs. whatsit next door". and that her Innie and Outtie were therefore like "equal" in a way

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I’d want to be severed so I could watch Severance again for the first time. And then that severed me gets turned back on when season two comes out so he doesn’t have to wait a year.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want to be severed so I can watch Severance again, and then play Outer Wilds and Tunic again.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Propaniac posted:

[Insert GIF that I wish I had of Arquette tossing the baby onto the couch]

https://i.imgur.com/b533HTE.gifv

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just realized that there was probably a thread for this and I keep thinking about how the only time the innies ever hear music is team-building events with their abusive corporate guideline officer

(I don't remember if there was diegetic music in the Perpetuity Wing, and there was the song Petey mentioned about Mark's elevator allergy)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Phy posted:

Just realized that there was probably a thread for this and I keep thinking about how the only time the innies ever hear music is team-building events with their abusive corporate guideline officer

(I don't remember if there was diegetic music in the Perpetuity Wing, and there was the song Petey mentioned about Mark's elevator allergy)

Are

Are you saying the innies don't know Beyonce?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

skaboomizzy posted:

Lots of parts of this definitely reminded me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, especially Adam Scott's outtie. I binged it in two days but will definitely go back later and give this a slower re-watch to see what else I can pick up.

One of my favorite movies of all time. And yes....the parallels here are pretty obvious.

First few episodes were quite the slow burn. The payoff in the last few episodes was well worth it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Please enjoy every key equally

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i think the part of me i severed a couple pages ago for reasons I don't wanna know seems to be reintegrating, judging from my suddenly nosebleed and headache.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

luminalflux posted:

Please enjoy every key equally

is there supposed to be something wrong with this one because it looks fine to me

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

I am in your debt.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that's also one of the big unresolved mysteries, whose baby was that and was it severed too

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

precision posted:

is there supposed to be something wrong with this one because it looks fine to me

Only thing wrong about it is that I don’t also have a wooden trackball and finger traps for my desk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Aye Doc posted:

Michael Keaton did this in Multiplicity and then his career went downhill for awhile until he made Birdman. I assume that this is EXACTLY what your experience would be too :hmmyes:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Khanstant posted:

that's also one of the big unresolved mysteries, whose baby was that and was it severed too

baby is severed so they have a fail safe personality in case the first one isnt fit be a senator’s kid

“You know who ate their vegetables and didnt talk back? Your innie.”

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I talked my parents into watching the show, and my dad called me up all excited last night. Turns out that my uncle worked at the Bell Labs Holmdel Complex back in the 60s. Probably would never have known that if not for Severance, so that's cool and now it feels like I have a tiny extra connection to the show.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Not only that, but their experiences relative to a normal person are so narrow. Basically they don’t know, on an emotional level, what they’re missing. Ignorance is bliss.

Look what a simple hug from his son did to Dylan’s innie.

or what an amazing experience the MDE was for everyone involved

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

dpkg chopra posted:

Cobel rushing to the Lumon party only to do… nothing, was extremely weird. Especially since apparently as a fired employee she was allowed to essentially just walk in all the way to the stage unimpeded.

Her finding out about Mark literally changed nothing except I suppose allowing Milchick to focus on Dylan because she was going to handle Helly herself.

If she’d kept the baby at least that was leverage but as it stands she basically did not profit at all from her discovery.

Just a weird decision in what was otherwise a really tight episode.

she actually does a lot just by letting milchik know whats going on. the innies could have done a lot more damage with an hour or so. thats probably good enough to get her job back

milchik is the one that is utterly hosed. the whole fiasco is basically entirely his fault

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Here's as much of the newspaper article as I could get.

Need a cigarette after the finale. The writing is so loving good, everywhere.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

babypolis posted:

she actually does a lot just by letting milchik know whats going on. the innies could have done a lot more damage with an hour or so. thats probably good enough to get her job back

milchik is the one that is utterly hosed. the whole fiasco is basically entirely his fault

Milchik triggering the overtime procedure seems super rash, I also wonder what his real deal is cause he triggered that procedure to show MDR that painting of the brutality of O&D. The content of the card he was so keen to get back gives me the impression this has all happened before or is possibly the part of the point behind what goes on in the severed floor

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

babypolis posted:

Also, she knew Milchik was on his way. Helly doing what she did is a fiasco, but it's not her fiasco. Tackling her god/boss's daughter would have been all on her.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

i am a moron posted:

Milchik triggering the overtime procedure seems super rash, I also wonder what his real deal is cause he triggered that procedure to show MDR that painting of the brutality of O&D. The content of the card he was so keen to get back gives me the impression this has all happened before or is possibly the part of the point behind what goes on in the severed floor

I didn't really get why he had to get the card in the middle of the night either. I guess it's possible he was worried that someone would notice the card was missing once O&D came in the next day, and he'd get in trouble. Or that it had been smuggled out somehow.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Also gotta wonder what's in that card, can't just be laminated cardstock, gotta be some kind of rfid or circuitry or something in there, right? secret encoding for innies to trigger manchurian protocol?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Apple apparently released a book that might explain the card a bit.

I didn't even know about it until I was reading theories about the card, but apparently the book suggests pictures can get past the security system. This would explain why something seemingly inconsequential became so urgent. Lumon doesn't want them to figure out they can get images past security.

Looks like a short read, and I'm craving more Severance, so I'm definitely going to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The Postman posted:

Apple apparently released a book that might explain the card a bit.

I didn't even know about it until I was reading theories about the card, but apparently the book suggests pictures can get past the security system. This would explain why something seemingly inconsequential became so urgent. Lumon doesn't want them to figure out they can get images past security.

Looks like a short read, and I'm craving more Severance, so I'm definitely going to check it out.

The book was great and is a really good stand alone story in the universe.