Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Libs did the same thing with W during Obama’s second term.

E: regarding the chuds rehabilitating Obama and Hillary. Page snipe.

numerrik fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
A consequence of the parties legitimately polarizing is that it doesn't take much stretching to say that, yeah, this opposition guy's even more extreme than the last even on topics where it's incremental and the end result is nothing radical.

Though with the case of Biden they're working against the fact that he's an old boring white guy without the stuff they really hated about Obama and Hillary.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PhazonLink posted:

actual Beck's first mistake was him Going Bender, and leaving Fox News and thinking he could start his own better place, with blackjack and hookers. Even with Mercer dark money to burn.

Oh yeah that's right, Mercury was bleeding money and he had to lay off like a third of his staff, then Mark Levin bailed him out. I forgot about that part.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

This is probably more prevalent than I like to admit. I keep thinking back to the Catholic Church and all the anti gay poo poo they harped on about and...well we know how that shook out. You throw the corporal punishment of kids (designed to control, silence and scare them) on top of everything else that came to light and it really begins to make sense and seem obvious. Self hatred and guilt directed outward but, man, it's hard for me to think it's ALL projection.

Maybe I'm in denial but the estimated percentage of people with pedophelic inclinations is pretty small, isn't it? I know it's skewed because, like a lot of embarrassing and incriminating things, no one will openly admit to it and they need to be caught but, right or left leaning, it's difficult for me to picture the idea of 35% of the country being all in on loving kids. I realize that a collection of wealthy and powerful people have more clout and power than a straight percentage measurement (see: what goes on in Hollywood) and I believe that this poo poo goes on more than what comes out but I think, in the GOP's case, it's as simple as name calling and the old axiom of making people deny it.

It's an old trick to call people pig fuckers, communists, gay, draft dodgers, n***** lovers, or what have you and then just kind of let the stink of the accusation settle over your enemy and let rumors and word association run their course. I highly doubt there's a large, organized ring of child fuckers out there that walk the halls of government but I may just be naive. They're really REALLY on about pedophiles and it's hard to ignore but I think it's mostly just latching on to a thing everyone loathes and attempting to associate your political enemies with that label. They learned from the Roy Moore situation.

Sadly, it works because I can tell you for a fact that here in NE FL, I've overheard and directly conversed about a lot of stupid bullshit relating to democrats and child sex rings. I think it's accusatory marketing designed to associate "pedophilia" with "democrat" and that's 95% of of it. Probably the most aggressive ones pushing it are the ones we should take a look at but the logical part of me still doesn't think it's widespread, common and rampant.

I don't think the % of child abusers is getting larger, I think it's more like how more and more people are getting diagnosed with autism because we have better methods to detect and diagnose problems. I agree about the projection aspect as well, and I think it ties into the 'authoritarian mind set' that conservatives have where they might think of their family as property to be used and abused however they see fit. It's all super gross and I can't help but wonder if Reagan hadn't gutted mental health services then it might actually be less common.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Clay Travis and Buck Sexton are technically the successors since they get to sit behind the coveted Golden Microphone at EIB, and they use Rush's music intros too. The reason they're not fully successors is because when Rush died and they went to "Rush's Greatest Hits" with rotating guest hosts for a few months, a bunch of stations dropped it in favor of some other right wing media personality.

I continue to refuse to believe that there's someone called 'Buck Sexton' outside a lovely airport novel.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

I continue to refuse to believe that there's someone called 'Buck Sexton' outside a lovely airport novel.

James Buckman Sexton.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Mark Levin continuing to gaslight about Florida's Don't Say Gay bill, though even he's have a tough time lying about it lately since he accidentally told the truth about it today. He was on his usual "It's about protecting children and making sure they don't hear about things they don't need to know about! There's no reason to say the word homosexuality to children!" So yeah, accidentally admitting that it's literally to not say gay.

He also said one of the most incredibly stupid things I've heard on right wing radio in a while, when he was commenting on the Abigail Disney interview where she talked about having more LGBT representation in stuff. His response was "Why do we need to have gay characters in movies? Why can't we just have characters? We don't need gay characters. We don't need straight characters. Just have characters." Somehow I don't think he was advocating for more asexual characters but that's the only way that statement wouldn't be incredibly loving stupid.

I gotta admit though I am pretty scared about LGBTQ+ rights in this country in the near future. Apparently a few other states are trying to pass similar Don't Say Gay bills. I think the GOP looked at what happened here in Virginia last year and they're going all in on this because it seems like a winning strategy. While the fearmongering last year was about CRT of course, it wasn't specifically that that caused Youngkin to win, it was McAuliffe's statement about "Parents shouldn't dictate what schools teach." Right wing media is doing everything they can to frame the Don't Say Gay bill in Florida as parents' rights and taking back control over what kids should be taught in schools, and if they frame it that way it seems like it'll probably result in huge GOP wins in the midterms much like what happened in VA, and then we'll see even more anti-trans (and gay) legislation. And of course, with SCOTUS' current makeup, there's no way in hell they'll rule on the right side of history against these bills.

Levin keeps mentioning polling that says that the overwhelming majority of parents in the US support bills like the Florida bill and that even over 50% of Dems support it. I don't know what polls he's reading and while they're probably heavily skewed to say what the GOP wants them to say, it's still disheartening and worrying. As sad as it is it seems like the only thing that'll get them to stop really will be for corporations to do the right thing and stand up for trans rights, which I'm not confident in. Disney's talking a big game right now, true, but apparently DeSantis is trying to revoke the laws that allow them to essentially be their own government. And while normally I'd probably be like "Hell yeah do it" (and I still kind of am, honestly, corporations shouldn't have that kind of power) it does make me worried that that kind of real consequence to Disney saying they'll do the right thing actually will cause them to back off out of fear of losing money/power. And they can't just pack up Disneyworld and move it to another state.

Sorry, kind of turned into a lot of pessimism there. It just sucks so much that we had this fight over gay rights, people realized the GOP was full of poo poo, and now it's happening all over again in the exact same way and this time not only is it possible it could work, it might even roll back stuff we thought was already protected.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Buck Sexton

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

If you find yourself feeling stressed over something you heard on right wing media, it might be time to cut back on the consumption.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know that there’s any reason to expose yourself to it. The whole point is to create an alternative reality that allows listeners to enact a particular emotional frenzy. Anyone could become vulnerable to that with enough exposure, no matter what emotions it happens to prompt.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

My familiarity with RWM talking points means I'm not taken completely by surprise when some douchebag throws them around.

Knowing that it all comes down to racism/classism/antisemitism is a solid shield against believing any of the bullshit.

"Know thy enemy" but you're not wrong, don't gaze too long into the abyss either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t know that there’s any reason to expose yourself to it. The whole point is to create an alternative reality that allows listeners to enact a particular emotional frenzy. Anyone could become vulnerable to that with enough exposure, no matter what emotions it happens to prompt.

I just do it to get inside the minds of your average conservative and get some idea of where all these insane beliefs my coworkers have come from.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mellow Seas posted:

Just noting that David Mamet married a 26 year old when he was 43. I'm actually not that against age gaps, but when you're out there calling every other man a "predator," you're kind of begging me to read into that.

So Oleanna was biographical then :v:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Also not a bad idea to be paying attention to this poo poo if you're an LGBT person who may be the target of attack by chuds that have been riled up into a bloodthirsty rage by bow-tie man or whoever the latest replaceable idiot is whose willing to say anything for money.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wouldn't that in a way apply to negative news in general, though? Anything that triggers that degree of outrage can be toxic in excess. Like I see so much cynicism and doomerism on SA as a result of a steady diet of outrage media, and this isn't from Goons watching Fox News 24/7. There's people who haven't left their house in two years because they are petrified of getting sick while doing nothing to inoculate themselves to the things making them feel helpless and paralyzed. The people in their life trying to support them get dismissed as trying to infect them with toxic positivity.

With some things, this visceral sense of disgust and outrage can be directed positively and toward self improvement. You'll note people are particularly proud to share how a photo of a severely obese person, or an incredibly messy bedroom will motivate them to lose weight/organize their home. But the key here is that they are exposed to things that are within their own power to address directly. With other things though the magnitude of the problem is so great the exposed person isn't going to be able to make a tangible impact, and deep down they probably know that as well.

To some degree we need to keep all of it in moderation simply to be able to function in our day to day lives.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This culture war stuff is poo poo and teachers should be able to talk about gay people and their lives, but from a cultural standpoint these bills aren't bringing us back to 1960, it's bringing us back to 2006. Like, were many teachers really going at length about gay people being real and valid until extremely recently?

I'm not really that concerned with this individual trend because while it's stupid that genie is already way out of the bottle and kids know their poo poo due to the internet. It's going to be more of an issue when schools are faced with a kid that is openly gay and loud about it. Eventually one of the schools might not be able to handle the grey zone and kick him out, and then all hell breaks loose.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Guess it might depend on how you're defining "all hell breaking loose". If you're talking about legal repercussions I see that being a problem because as we go further down the fash trail whack job bigoted gently caress sticks are seizing power and rewriting the laws or using their power to make it OK to ignore laws as long as you hurt the undesirables. That's kinda their thing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

This culture war stuff is poo poo and teachers should be able to talk about gay people and their lives, but from a cultural standpoint these bills aren't bringing us back to 1960, it's bringing us back to 2006. Like, were many teachers really going at length about gay people being real and valid until extremely recently?
Rush Limbaugh bitched for DECADES about some school having a book called Heather Has Two Mommies.

They were doing this in the 90s, it just briefly stopped working when more people stopped caring if someone was gay, they've just figured out now they can reignite it by openly screaming that all teachers are pedophiles instead of just saying "gay" which is all they had to do back when "gay" meant "pedophile" to most people.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Mark Levin continuing to gaslight about Florida's Don't Say Gay bill, though even he's have a tough time lying about it lately since he accidentally told the truth about it today. He was on his usual "It's about protecting children and making sure they don't hear about things they don't need to know about! There's no reason to say the word homosexuality to children!" So yeah, accidentally admitting that it's literally to not say gay.

He also said one of the most incredibly stupid things I've heard on right wing radio in a while, when he was commenting on the Abigail Disney interview where she talked about having more LGBT representation in stuff. His response was "Why do we need to have gay characters in movies? Why can't we just have characters? We don't need gay characters. We don't need straight characters. Just have characters." Somehow I don't think he was advocating for more asexual characters but that's the only way that statement wouldn't be incredibly loving stupid.

I bet you anything he was one of the ones furious that the young queen in Frozen didn't end up with a man or even get horny

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

bird food bathtub posted:

Guess it might depend on how you're defining "all hell breaking loose". If you're talking about legal repercussions I see that being a problem because as we go further down the fash trail whack job bigoted gently caress sticks are seizing power and rewriting the laws or using their power to make it OK to ignore laws as long as you hurt the undesirables. That's kinda their thing.

I mean it in the sense that if you put the case in court then there is a significant chance of the courts deciding a Don't Ask Don't Tell rule for queer kids to be within the bounds of the new laws. Once you have that on the books it opens up the gate for an even faster downward slide.

Although seeing how things are going now the "don't ask" is more likely to be slashed in favor of a witch hunt. "Of course we have to root out the gay kids by any means necessary, since they are proto-pedophiles we have to protect the community"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 13, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean it in the sense that if you put the case in court then there is a significant chance of the courts deciding a Don't Ask Don't Tell rule for queer kids to be within the bounds of the new laws. Once you have that on the books it opens up the gate for an even faster downward slide.

Ah. Yep, right there with you. That's exactly how I see stuff playing out. "In a 6-3 ruling you have the freedom to un-person the right kinds of targets and they have the freedom to get the gently caress out."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ever notice how conservatives are terrified of Sharia Law but usually want to implement most of it wrapped in an american flag? No abortions, no gays, cutting off hands for stealing, public executions, women in their place, theocratic laws, harsh sentences and even harsher prisons, voting restrictions, religion in schools, waiving due process...

And so forth.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Ever notice how conservatives are terrified of Sharia Law but usually want to implement most of it wrapped in an american flag? No abortions, no gays, cutting off hands for stealing, public executions, women in their place, theocratic laws, harsh sentences and even harsher prisons, voting restrictions, religion in schools, waiving due process...

And so forth.

The only thing conservatives have against Sharia law is that they aren't the ones in charge of it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BiggerBoat posted:

And so forth.

Y'all-queda has been a turn of phrase since 2005. It's no different than why fascists love the ethnostate of Israel but hate Jewish people.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Y'all-queda has been a turn of phrase since 2005. It's no different than why fascists love the ethnostate of Israel but hate Jewish people.

Vanilla ISIS is my favorite

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Rush Limbaugh bitched for DECADES about some school having a book called Heather Has Two Mommies.

After SNL made fun of the Daily Wire saying that their anti-woke stuff would be "Clifford the Big Straight Dog" "Encanto: But In English" and "One Fish, Two Fish, That's How Many Fish Genders There Are," Ben Shapiro responded on his Daily Wire show by saying he would totally write the fish gender book, before bursting out laughing at how funny he thought of that book was, and then collected himself and said that he would also make Clifford the Big Straight Dog if they keep putting Heather Has Two Mommies in school libraries.

Dude literally saw a joke making fun of how asinine his company's project is and unironically liked the mocking titles.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tesseraction posted:

After SNL made fun of the Daily Wire saying that their anti-woke stuff would be "Clifford the Big Straight Dog" "Encanto: But In English" and "One Fish, Two Fish, That's How Many Fish Genders There Are," Ben Shapiro responded on his Daily Wire show by saying he would totally write the fish gender book, before bursting out laughing at how funny he thought of that book was, and then collected himself and said that he would also make Clifford the Big Straight Dog if they keep putting Heather Has Two Mommies in school libraries.

Dude literally saw a joke making fun of how asinine his company's project is and unironically liked the mocking titles.
Poe's Law is real, my friend.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Don't tell him that male seahorses give birth

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Vanilla ISIS is my favorite

Yokel Haram.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Y'all Quaida

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/i/status/1514050861026082824

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yeehawdists

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Every one of Ben Shapiro's Fact and Logic based victories were in extremely controlled environments and against extremely vetted opponents. Every now and then he forgets this and eats poo poo in front of millions when he goes up against someone who can put together an argument.

Of course his fans just memory-hole this and go back to their hateful lives like nothing happened, but it's nice to see.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

Every one of Ben Shapiro's Fact and Logic based victories were in extremely controlled environments and against extremely vetted opponents. Every now and then he forgets this and eats poo poo in front of millions when he goes up against someone who can put together an argument.

Of course his fans just memory-hole this and go back to their hateful lives like nothing happened, but it's nice to see.

My favourite example of this was when he was in an interview with British conservative boomer journalist Andrew Neil. Neil gave him just some really simple question along the lines of "Hey aren't US abortion laws kinda hosed?", Shapiro tried his usual divert and redirect, but Neil insisted on an actual answer. Shapiro turned into an even greater baby than usual and terminated the interview, calling Neil a liberal. :allears:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Not sure this is an own exactly though it does seem like Shapiro is destined to end up like Kaitlin Bennett in that the students get wise to their bullshit and use the time on the mic to troll him.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

Even more funny/depressing, his fans legitimately just think those instances are wins as well. So there’s nothing to memory-hole.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Perestroika posted:

My favourite example of this was when he was in an interview with British conservative boomer journalist Andrew Neil. Neil gave him just some really simple question along the lines of "Hey aren't US abortion laws kinda hosed?", Shapiro tried his usual divert and redirect, but Neil insisted on an actual answer. Shapiro turned into an even greater baby than usual and terminated the interview, calling Neil a liberal. :allears:

What was the interview where he kept misgendering one of the other panelists and she basically grabbed him by the cheeks and told him if he does it again he's leaving in an ambulance and nobody did poo poo?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Neito posted:

What was the interview where he kept misgendering one of the other panelists and she basically grabbed him by the cheeks and told him if he does it again he's leaving in an ambulance and nobody did poo poo?

That was Zoey Tur, and the Shapiro fan club got very mad about how violent and indecorous the radical LGBT leftists have become and Shapiro filed a police report accusing her of battery claiming he intended to press charges. If you search it this is the main thing you'll find as well because SEO algos seem to favor reactionary whining above all else for some mysterious reason

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Perestroika posted:

It's a joy to watch... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRF3r3zUGqk

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

yeah, neil's surprised bemusement at being called a liberal always gets a chuckle out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Panfilo posted:

Not sure this is an own exactly though it does seem like Shapiro is destined to end up like Kaitlin Bennett in that the students get wise to their bullshit and use the time on the mic to troll him.

Shapiro will just shift to a new strategy if this happens. He's done it before and he'll do it again. Bennett however has no ability to adapt to anything so she's going to be the Kent State Shitter forever