Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I love your tidy little plant labels, too. What are you using, and how well does it weather? I've used copper tags, but they are more artsy than permanent, and Sharpie on plastic tags tends to fade.

I have markers from Staedtler that work great. The ink doesn't run or fade after some years outside even. They are a little more expensive as a writing utensil, but I bought a 2-pack a few years ago and they still work. Biggest issue is trying to remember where I put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

drat, that sucks. I love blue scilla, but the variety you actually ordered (and paid more for, I'm betting) is gorgeous. I hope Van Engelen eventually makes good.

I love your tidy little plant labels, too. What are you using, and how well does it weather? I've used copper tags, but they are more artsy than permanent, and Sharpie on plastic tags tends to fade.

So far they've made it through two New England winters without any issues. The labels are just cheap plastic things from Amazon but they're thick enough to do fine and flexible enough that they don't snap when I step on them accidentally. I also have white ones I put common names on in the herb garden for certain people who might live here who are otherwise confused :rolleyes:.

I'm writing on them with extra fine (oil) paint markers from Decocolor which seem to hold up very well. I originally got them because they're what Plant Delights recommends and I suppose they would know.

Multiple people have told me they got better developed bulbs from Scheepers. Shows me what they know!

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I ordered bulbs from Scheepers a few years ago and they mostly were fine. My first time bulbin'

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
:siren:Eastern MA goons:siren:: Everett Home Despot has six 2-gal Philodendron squamiferum left in stock at $50/pot (4-5 large vines per pot).

This is a pretty screaming deal on a philo that isn’t especially cheap or easy-to-find. This is a plant that gets monstera-big too, you could readily separate it and sell the extra on etsygive the extra as gifts

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 16, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wallet posted:

I also have white ones I put common names on in the herb garden for certain people who might live here who are otherwise confused :rolleyes:.
Heh. I was reminded today of why we use Latin names. The rockroses I loathe in my garden are in the Cistus genus; the ones they plant in Texas are Pavonia lasiopetala.

I usually put dates (if known) on my plants because I am that kind of nerd. So the label on a hyacinth would be 'Anna Liza', 1972. Similarly, a species rose would be Rosa damascena, but a Bourbon cultivar would be 'Mme. Hardy', 1832. My local, and very good, botanical gardens drive me nuts because they aren't consistent about labeling; I have to rely on Google Lens for half their plants.

e: For unusual bulbs, in small quantities because $$$, don't miss Old House Gardens.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I usually put dates (if known) on my plants because I am that kind of nerd. So the label on a hyacinth would be 'Anna Liza', 1972. Similarly, a species rose would be Rosa damascena, but a Bourbon cultivar would be 'Mme. Hardy', 1832. My local, and very good, botanical gardens drive me nuts because they aren't consistent about labeling; I have to rely on Google Lens for half their plants.
I hate this poo poo at local nurseries. 'Succulent' is not a sufficient plant label, thank you.

I keep the dates I planted stuff and where I got them from in a spreadsheet (organized by plant type and what bed they're in) which is how I know I got the Scilla from Van Engelen (well, that and they're the only Scilla I have planted). My format for the tags is basically just the way you'd format the scientific name normally if you were writing it by hand.

Ok Comboomer posted:

This is a pretty screaming deal on a philo that isn’t especially cheap or easy-to-find. This is a plant that gets monstera-big too, you could readily separate it and sell the extra on etsygive the extra as gifts

I was just at the one near me (on the other end of MA) and I didn't see any exciting Philodendrons but they had a bunch of pretty decent looking (white) Strelitzias for $40 which is a great deal for the size they were.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

I was just at the one near me (on the other end of MA) and I didn't see any exciting Philodendrons but they had a bunch of pretty decent looking (white) Strelitzias for $40 which is a great deal for the size they were.

the ones on this side of the state have been full of those strelitzias for months—and yeah it’s an excellent deal for those. I got one for me + one for my mom back in Jan.

Some of the ones here also have bigger 5’ ones for $70, but that’s way less of a good deal given how quick they grow, esp if they spend 4-5 mo/year outside

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wallet posted:

I hate this poo poo at local nurseries. 'Succulent' is not a sufficient plant label, thank you.

SUCCULENT rear end.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I got gifted this Phal, any idea what this is? It makes me think of a fungus fruiting, so I'm not sure if I want to put it among my other orchids. I can remove this root obviously, but there might be more...

Wallet posted:

It's not really a clear line, whether indoors or out. Many houseplants (Haworthia among them in my experience) will never go fully dormant if they're indoors where it's warm. A plant's water consumption is relative to how much light it's getting, though, so if it's getting most of its light from a window it will still need a bit less water. Put it in some gritty mix and don't worry about it too much, IMO.

I fertilize all of my succulents around once every six months (probably more like eight to twelve since I don't always remember) with about half the recommended dosage of osmocote. Even with all of them in a gritty mix that has little or no available nutrients that seems to be enough to keep them happy.

Thanks for this. I'm ramping up watering and not worrying about it too much then

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Anyone here have any experience using hydroguard for ornamental tropicals in substrate? I've never used it and saw someone recommending it, though it looks like it is more often used in hydroponics settings. Curious if it's OK to mix with my fertizilier (tezula MSU), liquidirt, mosquito bits, etc.

Ok Comboomer posted:

:siren:Eastern MA goons:siren:: Everett Home Despot has six 2-gal Philodendron squamiferum left in stock at $50/pot (4-5 large vines per pot).

lol wow, yea, that is a stupid price.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 18, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wallet posted:

My God, yes.

quote:

I keep the dates I planted stuff and where I got them from in a spreadsheet (organized by plant type and what bed they're in) which is how I know I got the Scilla from Van Engelen (well, that and they're the only Scilla I have planted). My format for the tags is basically just the way you'd format the scientific name normally if you were writing it by hand.
I'm no biologist or taxonomist, so I'm inconsistent. Properly 'Madame Hardy' is Rosa cv. 'Madame Hardy', but for my own personal purposes, I know it's a rose, and I don't think there's additional information in the 'Rosa'. Along the same lines, I have an apple tree 'Queen Cox', a self-fertile Cox's Orange Pippin; I don't see any point in putting Malus domestica at the front. It's heeling-in now and is about to open a bud; I need to go buy a big pot for it. Its roots were too wide for the pot I'd initially planned on using. But anyway, a consistent person would either have all the scientific names or none. I applaud your consistency.

I have a garden book I write in by hand, but we had a domestic crisis when a bunch of plants came in, and I planted them out without recording dates. I need to go backfill.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Time for my second attempt at carnivorous plants indoors. My first brood lasted about 8 months, but they eventually died off. I concluded water was my mistake; our tap is hard as gently caress and I'm guessing minerals built up in my soil and on the roots over time.

I got these King Henry cultivars again, since they seemed really hardy (they lasted the longest last time). I also got some Red Dragons I forgot to take photos of before transplanting into my little mini-greenhouse (I know it's not necessary, but what is necessary is protecting plants from our bengal cat that eats them).

They seem to have handled shipping and transplanting well enough, they're starting to open back up.

The setup zoomed out. My wife's bamboo is also pretty new.

Any tips from goons experienced with these guys are welcome. I've read a lot and think I was doing pretty well last time, but I'm sure there's plenty more to learn.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

Spring is the time to do it; the dead stuff provides a bit of insulation for the plant over winter. For hopefully obvious reasons you want to do it before the grass starts putting up new shoots for the year.
Belated thanks for the tips on trimming back ornamental grass. Ours seems none the worse for the significant haircut, and our lawn now looks a little better where the grasses had been prostrate for months.

I was getting all geared up for spring, what with the daffodils popping and the forsythia starting to bloom! Then it started snowing. :negative:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Time for my second attempt at carnivorous plants indoors. My first brood lasted about 8 months, but they eventually died off. I concluded water was my mistake; our tap is hard as gently caress and I'm guessing minerals built up in my soil and on the roots over time.

I've had my king Henry and sarracenia going super healthy indoors for like 3 years now. I only use rain water or distilled in a pinch. Even if your water isn't super hard, I'd err on the side of not using it at all.

Always fun stunning a fly with my electric swatter and hand feeding it to the king henry.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oooo electric fly swatter is a good idea. I was contemplating how to catch some of the flies around our composter.

This time around I have a stock jugs of reverse osmosis purified water to use.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That glass greenhouse planter doesn't drain, so you might want to keep an eye on the water level. VFTs like moist soil, and they can sit in trays of water, but too much stagnant water can cause rot.

They don't really need to be fed. If you do put insects in the traps, be sure they're still alive. Movement triggers the closing mechanism, but continued movement is needed to keep the trap closed and trigger digestion.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Definitely noted, though I tend to have the opposite problem: with the fans in here and how dry the air is from the AC, it's harder to keep it from drying out.

It's really wet right now because I may or may not have overdone it on moistening the soil for the first time.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Honestly, I keep mine on a windowsill in glass containers (though with some pebbles on the bottom) and I just drown them in rain water every week or so when they look dry. I am awful about overwatering and rotting my plants, but these are the the few that seem very resilient to that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My God, yes.

I'm no biologist or taxonomist, so I'm inconsistent. Properly 'Madame Hardy' is Rosa cv. 'Madame Hardy', but for my own personal purposes, I know it's a rose, and I don't think there's additional information in the 'Rosa'. Along the same lines, I have an apple tree 'Queen Cox', a self-fertile Cox's Orange Pippin; I don't see any point in putting Malus domestica at the front. It's heeling-in now and is about to open a bud; I need to go buy a big pot for it. Its roots were too wide for the pot I'd initially planned on using. But anyway, a consistent person would either have all the scientific names or none. I applaud your consistency.

I have a garden book I write in by hand, but we had a domestic crisis when a bunch of plants came in, and I planted them out without recording dates. I need to go backfill.

Yeah, I love seeing "Japanese Maple". Acer Palmatium? A. Shirasawanum? Japanicum? A fancy Circinatum? Who knows?

I asked in the other thread, but was it perhaps here maybe a year ago that someone was talking about their preferred seedling/propagation tray? I remember it being on the pricey side but made of rugged plastic and the cells were in a staggered arrangement.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You really can't overwater them in a single go, and I don't think any of mine have died from rot even though they sit in a tray of water all the time. You just don't want to drown it for an extended period. They're pretty resilient plants tbh.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I love seeing "Japanese Maple". Acer Palmatium? A. Shirasawanum? Japanicum? A fancy Circinatum? Who knows?

"I dunno, it's got red leaves?"

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Solkanar512 posted:

Usually IME it means Acer palmatum that’s grown from seed and is thus definitely ‘who knows’

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

If you want them to actually know what it is they're trying to sell you you're going to have to pay genuine nursery prices for them ornamental trees. Do you know how much it would cost to keep track of the plants they grow? What do you think they are, some kind of plant growing business?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Edit Wrong thread, sorry!

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 19, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

Thanks to having 4 1000lb fertilizer makers out back, my herb/veggie plants are looking particularly happy this year.

that’s a really lovely way to talk about your family

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What are the balloon-y looking things in the basil and rosemary bed?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What are the balloon-y looking things in the basil and rosemary bed?

some trickle waterers I was playing with. The two metal beds tend to hold way more moisture than the raised wooden one and I was trying to keep the waterings a little more in sync.

EDIT: I just realized that this is the wrong thread. Sorry!

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 19, 2022

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
So far so good. They perked up within hours of being transplanted and just a few days later are shooting up new leaves.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Can anyone help me identify this? Looks sort of like elm leaves

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

i am harry posted:

I don't recognize it. However, you can have a ridiculous amount of fun (I'm weird) by installing Google Lens on your phone of choice (Android or iOS), taking a picture, and watching magic happen.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

i am harry posted:

The PlantNet app suggests Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia), if it's tree-y.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Thanks for the help, I found one next door…

I think Im going to have to dig it up because it’s right next to the foundation :(

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I vote Alder

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Do the twigs have three flat sides?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

they seem perfectly round. i'll ask next door if they know...but i think we're all in agreement that it's a tree? I should dig it up before it tries to dig up the side of my house right? there are 4 other branches coming up out of the ground a couple feet from each other along the side where the main growth is. There are a few about 4 ft apart along a fence that lines a sidewalk further down, sprouting new leaves from the base of old thicker dead trunks bent through the fence like they were bushes at some point.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 23, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

The PlantNet app suggests Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia), if it's tree-y.

I've got a big bunch of Chinese Elm, and while the leaves are the right size and shape, they come out as singles rather than that triple leaf thing this plant has going on.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

i am harry posted:

they seem perfectly round. i'll ask next door if they know...but i think we're all in agreement that it's a tree? I should dig it up before it tries to dig up the side of my house right? there are 4 other branches coming up out of the ground a couple feet from each other along the side where the main growth is. There are a few about 4 ft apart along a fence that lines a sidewalk further down, sprouting new leaves from the base of old thicker dead trunks bent through the fence like they were bushes at some point.

Unless you want it there, dig it up. Doesn't matter if it's ultimately going to be a tree or a shrub, it's a plant you don't want in that space.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

These guys are flourishing now, there's a visible change from my last post and it's only been 3 days. Every single plant is shooting up new stems and traps. All of big hoss' big traps reopened now. Clearly the grow light was not the issue if they're getting enough energy to produce this much new growth. It was 100% the soil mix and water last time.

The red dragons did lose a couple traps, but it's also putting up new leaves so I chalk that up to stress of shipping and transplanting.

Didn't take a photo but my pitcher plant is fully out of hibernation now and there are so many new pitchers growing. That one was not doing well inside and is doing so much better out in the backyard with direct sun and rainwater.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
On the topic of carnies, mine are having a blast
Outdoor bog gardens before I doused them today:

Indoors with the tiny red one being the newest addition, wife snagged it at local TJs for $4.

And flowers are coming in, jasmine making the backyard smell so pleasant and I'm excited for my first plumeria blooms any day now. Not pictured is the maypop which surprisingly didn't feel like gracing me with a fresh bloom today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I opened a container for a cutting I took months ago and forgot about. It was still alive!

The thing had been busy too, with this foot long root it made:

Alright buddy, got you cleaned up, now do your thing.

...you've got a lot of work ahead of you.