Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

melon cat posted:

Hope you can see how the door bows outward near the bottom versus the top. I'm pretty certain the door itself is wrapped, and not the door frame. Previous owners did nothing for venting humidity on the upper floor of this house so all the doors are all sorts of hosed up

Does it ever close? If it works fine in the winter but swells and won't shut in the summer it's a different problem space than a door the simply never closes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

Does it ever close? If it works fine in the winter but swells and won't shut in the summer it's a different problem space than a door the simply never closes.
Only way to close it is by forcefully body checking into it. Season-to-season I might have to bodycheck it a little less hard than other seasons but it's always very difficult to close even in the best of conditions. Warping is even worse than pictured because since the top of the photo is cut off you don't see how bad the warping actually is. And since it's an old home the door is a non-standard size (much lesser width) so outright replacing it is more of a challenge. I'll be stripping its paint this summer and repainting so I figured I'd try my luck at fixing the warping while I'm at it.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 11, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

melon cat posted:

Only way to close it is by forcefully body checking into it. Season-to-season I might have to bodycheck it a little less hard than other seasons but it's always very difficult to close even in the best of conditions. Warping is even worse than pictured because since the top of the photo is cut off you don't see how bad the warping actually is. And since it's an old home the door is a non-standard size (much lesser width) so outright replacing it is more of a challenge. I'll be stripping its paint this summer and repainting so I figured I'd try my luck at fixing the warping while I'm at it.

Okay, well yeah.....you definitely need to do something there.

I'm not sure if there is any real way to make that straight again (without literally disassembling the door and steaming/planing stuff), but you can strip/fix damage and refit it, then plane down what is necessary to make it close before taking it back off and painting.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a hatch to my crawlspace under the house that has been carved out of the patio. The old one was just a wood frame with a plywood sheet and some vinyl siding on top of it for water protection. Its pretty rotten and needs to be replaced so I am going to build another one. What can I use in place of vinyl siding this time? It is partially protected but will get rain on it and not much sunlight.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have a hatch to my crawlspace under the house that has been carved out of the patio. The old one was just a wood frame with a plywood sheet and some vinyl siding on top of it for water protection. Its pretty rotten and needs to be replaced so I am going to build another one. What can I use in place of vinyl siding this time? It is partially protected but will get rain on it and not much sunlight.

Would need dimensions/pics, but this sounds like a job for bilco doors. I think? I'm trying to picture a hatch carved into a patio.......

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

melon cat posted:

Maybe youve checked but see if all the screws on the hinges are snugly fastened. thats the most common cause for poorly closing doors ive found. replacing one screw on each hinge on the jamb side with a 3" deck screw can help draw a loose jamb tight again

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Maybe youve checked but see if all the screws on the hinges are snugly fastened. thats the most common cause for poorly closing doors ive found. replacing one screw on each hinge on the jamb side with a 3" deck screw can help draw a loose jamb tight again

My dad did this to a couple of my doors when he was loving around while I took care of my kid right after he was born and it made a big difference in how nicely the doors fit and hung.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Motronic posted:

Would need dimensions/pics, but this sounds like a job for bilco doors. I think? I'm trying to picture a hatch carved into a patio.......

Much much smaller. It’s just a 2’x2’ lid resting on the patio. It is not a comfortable entry point. I’ve basically taken a 2x4 and cut it down to make a frame for the 2’x2’ piece of plywood I bought. It is not fancy or large at all.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
On the subject of door chat:

I've read about the "toothpicks and wood glue" trick to help fix crooked/sagging doors. Got a few targets in my house, and would like to do this coupled with longer screws.

What's the drying time for the wood glue when doing this? One of the doors is an exterior door, so I can't exactly let it sit forever waiting for the glue to dry.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

DaveSauce posted:

I've read about the "toothpicks and wood glue" trick to help fix crooked/sagging doors. Got a few targets in my house, and would like to do this coupled with longer screws.

What's the drying time for the wood glue when doing this? One of the doors is an exterior door, so I can't exactly let it sit forever waiting for the glue to dry.

Probably depends on the glue

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DaveSauce posted:

You don't need to wait for the glue to dry and you don't really need to use glue at all, but it probably helps. The screw smashes up the toothpicks or matchsticks or w/e and wedges them in very tightly even without glue.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is definitely not "fix it fast" but I wasn't sure what the best thread was - looking for some advice on possible solutions or who to contact about this. My condo has had an issue with the service door next to our garage forever - we are in MN so the winters get very cold, and every winter the concrete ends up bulging up, which is a big problem because the service door very easily gets stuck, creating a security issue (i.e. if someone ever doesn't make sure to pull it shut firmly, it will stick and stay open). Our board has tried fixing it before (I think they either replaced the concrete, or maybe lowered it a bit, no idea). anyone have thoughts on what could be done and/or who we should contact? maybe there is a different material we could use in place of that square?

right now there's a slight bulge in the middle, but if it went any higher like in the winter the door would stick on it

I brought along someone to take a look but she is flummoxed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I am not an expert on the topic and plus I live in a place where it never freezes, but this sounds like frost heave. The correct fix is to make sure that the walkway extends below the frost line. It doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) solid concrete for that entire depth, but you need to dig down deeply, then infill with sand and gravel before pouring new concrete on top.

Basically what happens is that when the ground freezes, the water in the ground expands (because ice is less dense than water), and that pushes everything that rests on the ground up. You stop this by making sure that water can drain away from underneath anything you care about, hence the sand and gravel. Though it occurs to me that the above described fix won't work if, say, this is located in an area with generally poor drainage.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks - the main drainage is a channel drain to the right which is in front of the garage door. i think the water in this area either drains to that or the rocks, not sure. there is also a sump pump just to the left in the rock area

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
ahhh we woke up to a cold house and our new Immergas Victrix Omnia boiler saying E10 which per the manual means there is not enough pressure in the radiator system. Sure enough the needle is pointing at zero.

It says to turn the cock valve to let it refill and I do that but nothing happens. Is some pump supposed to turn on?

I have tried resetting it but the error won't go away. Further, it won't even make hot water now even if I put it in Summer mode (disables the radiators).

It is holy week here and getting a tech out will not be easy. We have a/c splits that can make the house warm but I'd love some hot water.

Does anyone know how to clear the error code on this thing so we can use it in Summer mode for hot water???

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm sick of the lousy tension shower curtain rod and would like to replace it with a fixed (non-curved) one instead. Can anyone recommend a model/manufacturer? They seem to be a rarity in most stores around here, and none seem particularly sturdy either.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I have a truck with a couple of insanely old bumper stickers on. One on the back window and one on the bumper. I really want to remove them but nothing has worked so far. I tried scraping and also using a spray on shedding remover to no avail. Do y'all have any tips?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

3m adhesive remover is awesome. If you didn't use that, use that. Careful with painted surfaces though. It hasn't discolored many things in the past for me but a time or two it has. Check somewhere inconspicuous first. I'd use that and a razor for the glass.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 14, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Corla Plankun posted:

I have a truck with a couple of insanely old bumper stickers on. One on the back window and one on the bumper. I really want to remove them but nothing has worked so far. I tried scraping and also using a spray on shedding remover to no avail. Do y'all have any tips?

WD-40 and a rag. It it's really gloppy: a green dish scrubbie (rub gently) than paper towel; once it's all off, give it a quick swipe with a grease cutter like Awesome Orange. or use iso alcohol followed by a Windex-type-cleaner.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Use a razorblade scraper on the window.

Not for painted surfaces though.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Use a razorblade scraper on the window.

Not for painted surfaces though.

They have plastic ones for painted surfaces, or at least I was told they are for painted surfaces.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I mean, how much do you care about that paint underneath on an old truck?

If it was me, the answer is not at all. That's why they have spray paint at the parts stores.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The paint under the stickers is likely to be discolored if the stickers are that old. Like, the sun will have dulled out most of the rest of the car, but under the stickers the paint will still be "new" and a different color. Depending on why you want to remove them it might be worthwhile just assuming you'll have to do something to the paint regardless.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Idk if it’s easy to get outside of Australia but eucalyptus oil is insanely good at getting rid of old stickers, glue, hardened gum, etc

You also end up smelling like a koala.

It can lift paint, especially if it’s older paint, but usually takes a while for that to happen. Test someone inconspicuous if you’re worried.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Get a new bumper sticker you like better and slap it on top

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Toebone posted:

Get a new bumper sticker you like better and slap it on top

The true fix it fast solution.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, that's the pro move here. Just keep it non-political so you don't come out to slashed tires. A bigfoot or alien related bumper sticker works quite nicely on an old truck.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

A member of our household who shall remain nameless put a hex bit for a screwdriver in our impact driver:

Does anyone have a good idea how to get this the hell out? I do not know if it was used, but I do know it's in there solidly enough that it does not want to come out easily. Also there is very little surface area and absolutely no flat surfaces to grab.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Blowjob Overtime posted:

A member of our household who shall remain nameless put a hex bit for a screwdriver in our impact driver:

Does anyone have a good idea how to get this the hell out? I do not know if it was used, but I do know it's in there solidly enough that it does not want to come out easily. Also there is very little surface area and absolutely no flat surfaces to grab.

Get a rare earth magnet? Drill through the side to make a hole you can stick a wire through?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Maybe try to grind some flat surfaces into opposing sides of it and grab it with a vise grip

korora
Sep 3, 2011
Superglue a screw onto it and pull on the screw?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

korora posted:

Superglue a screw onto it and pull on the screw?

Yeah this. Or hot glue gun.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think you'd probably need to apply some force in a rotating motion opposite to the one that got it stuck in there. Nothing's really holding it in there but it being a slightly too small hexagon forcing its corners into the edges of a larger hexagon.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think you'd probably need to apply some force in a rotating motion opposite to the one that got it stuck in there. Nothing's really holding it in there but it being a slightly too small hexagon forcing its corners into the edges of a larger hexagon.

This is definitely an issue I've had with my impact in the past. Give that a try.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Landscaping question. I have this mulch around the perimeter of my house. It's causing rot, attracts bugs, has rat burrows deeper down, doesn't drain well, and does a poor job keeping weeds at bay.

I want to remove all the mulch and replace it with clearstone gravel that properly drains. It's about 3 inches of mulch, then filter liner, then clay-heavy soil beneath the liner.

What's the proper way to dig down and lay down the gravel? And what's the best way to separate and partition it from my crumbling asphalt driveway because I don't want loose rocks getting kicked up by my snowblower during the winter (this kills the auger).

I'm thinking that I: dig down about 8 inches, lay down a sand/soil 60:40 mixture, then put my drainage gravel on top of that and make it slope away from the foundation. And maybe line up bricks between the gravel and my driveway to keep them separated.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 10, 2024

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Winner winner chicken dinner. The thermostat suddenly turned off (not battery powered). Called the land lord who sent out a repair team. Long story short, the drain pipe (?) was completely full and not draining properly so the AC shut off to protect itself. They blew out the drain, taught me some basics on AC maintenance, and everything is good to go (I hope).

:toot: Glad your ac has a drain cutoff! Not all do and that leads to the aforementioned flooding.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I have a balcony roof made of plywood and with some tar-style covering. Now I need to route Aircon pipes and cables through this roof. How do I accomplish this without creating a leak?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blowjob Overtime posted:

pull the collett back, point the tip down, and slap the back of the driver a few times

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Electric stovetop has one burner that's on full blast no matter what the knob is set to (but does turn off). Guessing potentiometer or something failed. Is there any troubleshooting or replacement I can do to fix it? The others all seem to work normally. GE profile series.

Those things are pretty generic and you can swap it out for a replacement easily.

They are not potentiometers, they are a self contained heater and thermostat that cycles the output power. Search for “infinite switch” for background info. Yours could be repairable instead, but you might end up disturb the range of it so it’s 0-75% instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

yippee cahier posted:

Those things are pretty generic and you can swap it out for a replacement easily.

They are not potentiometers, they are a self contained heater and thermostat that cycles the output power. Search for “infinite switch” for background info. Yours could be repairable instead, but you might end up disturb the range of it so it’s 0-75% instead.

Thank you for this. I could not for the life of me find the right thing to search.