Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

OddObserver posted:

Have they stopped preventing Rheinmetal(sp?) from exporting old stuff they just have laying around they've been itching to sell for 6 weeks now?

Nope, heavy weapons/tanks etc. are still not allowed as they require agreement from Habecks (Greens) Economic ministry. While the Economic ministry does seem to be more agreeable to exporting weapons compared to the Defense Ministry (SPD), they still don't allow everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

It'd be great if it happens but I don't see any reason to expect it to.

Despite some colossal gently caress ups by him and his cronies in prosecuting this war by and large the people of Russia either back him OR aren't willing to do anything about him due to his skill in suppressing any opposition. Same is true of the military at large as far as I can tell.

While he isn't a good leader he definitely seems to have some real skill, and lots of ruthlessness, in protecting himself and his grip on power.

Even if the Russians get soundly whooped in this war (ie. booted out of Donbas and the rest of Ukraine) I don't think he'll get couped or go away. And in the short term it appears the sanctions won't hit Russia hard enough to cause some major social unrest to threaten him either.

Long term (as others in thread were talking about like a month ago, that recent Perun vid lays this all out pretty well too) though Russia is looking to be fairly or seriously screwed and will have to decide on either becoming a China vassal state or becoming something like a North Korean autarky. I can't see Putin letting Russia become a vassal state but more and more I can totally see Russia becoming a autarky of sorts.

He seems to be going down the strongman path and perhaps has even personally bought into his own bullshit to some degree so doubling down on their mistakes and/or wallowing in denial is the path of least resistance for those types.

It's not going to happen for the same reason hitler wasnt couped successfully in 1945

its not Putin, its his army failing him in the Putinist view

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Fair enough. I think it’s a non-starter in any case, but what I would say to you is that if the Ukrainian Armed Forces could expel Russia from Crimea, which is an overly illegally annexed portion of Ukraine recognizes as Russian by no one but Russia and Russian puppet/satellite states, they have every right to do so; or at least desire to do so.

We agree here, I just have a moderation stance of equating posting about it today, tomorrow, or any other day before Ukraine starts pulling troops up to the peninsula borders to making GBS threads the thread up, because it’s just nuke chat under a different guise.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

FishBulbia posted:

Because for Russia, Crimea is Russia. Other parts of Ukraine is not Russia.

According to Russia, anywhere that has people who speak Russian is Russian.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

marxismftw posted:

Yeah, but doesn't that just apply to all of Ukraine? I'm not trying to be pedantic here, I just don't quite follow the thinking here that retaking some part of occupied Ukraine is somehow out of bounds for the current Ukraine war discussion thread.

No, it hasn’t written current territory of Ukraine into its constitution. The thinking is very simple - Russia will actually get nukes out in that case, which is why Ukrainian loving president keeps saying throughout this loving war that they have no loving intent to ever do that, for fucks sake.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

marxismftw posted:

Russia claims ownership over Brighton Beach? Do they vote in Russian elections and host Russian nuclear weapons?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

FishBulbia posted:

Russia claims ownership over Brighton Beach? Do they vote in Russian elections?

About to say the same thing about St. Moritz lol

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

GaussianCopula posted:

Nope, heavy weapons/tanks etc. are still not allowed as they require agreement from Habecks (Greens) Economic ministry. While the Economic ministry does seem to be more agreeable to exporting weapons compared to the Defense Ministry (SPD), they still don't allow everything.

Just to be clear: When the Ministry of Defense ships something, that's not "exporting" and does not go through the Ministry of Economics. When another state orders arms from industry, then that falls under the purview of Habeck's ministry because it's exporting.

Neither ministry can go against their boss, though Habeck has not been particularly subtle in his thinly veiled criticism of Scholz…

And also, Rheinmetall offering to get rid of old inventory should be viewed more as a PR move than something actually helpful to Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PederP posted:

And if the war ends with that kind of chaos, it really isn't Clancychat to consider that Ukrainian units might move into parts of Crimea to restore order. I don't think the Putin regime would be long for this world in the case of a military disintegration - but I also think they would have their hands full with more... local.. issues if large formations just surrender and desert. Kremlin has been big on overcommitting in this war. Losing under such circumstances can be really messy.

If Russia moves into a defensive position, sure, then it's Clancychat to consider Ukrainian conquest of (de facto) Russian territory. If Russia keeps doing what it's doing right now, then I think all bets are off on what the borders of Russia will be in the aftermath - or if it will even exist as we know it.

When those assumptions start materialising, you’re welcome to bring the topic up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think there's going to be a lack of desire by the rest of the world to punish Russia too harshly for their stupidity, not because they don't deserve it, but because every time that's been attempted in the wake of a war, it backfires in that it leads to future instability. It's hard to say what will happen with any certainty, but my guess is that if there's any sort of ceasefire or end to the war on terms that are judged to be fair to Ukraine, there will be a lot of pressure to take it and stop the conflict even if it means Ukraine won't get everything on its wishlist.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Russia needs to want peace first, and their response to military setbacks has been to escalate and try to poison the Ukrainian peace delegation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FishBulbia posted:

It's not going to happen for the same reason hitler wasnt couped successfully in 1945

an extremely heavy table and a guy without enough fingers to arm both bombs?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1515038012165570565

Not that this has any basis in 21st century reality, but I would very much like the German Vice Chancellor to see it.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

evilweasel posted:

an extremely heavy table and a guy without enough fingers to arm both bombs?

Yeah. There was one attempt that got close. The attempt really failed however because the Army didn't blame its losing on Hitler and stayed loyal to him.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Youth Decay posted:

Not that this has any basis in 21st century reality, but I would very much like the German Vice Chancellor to see it.

That can't be real.

There's a good German word for these people: "Lacksäufer".

People who drank all the laquer.

e: I wholeheartedly support giving southern Germany to Austria, FWIW.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Loitering ammunition’s have two main ethical problems. 1) is something we’ll doubtlessly see more off: that the decision to kill is made by computer. You can fire it off and it goes and hangs around in a bush for an hour before it decides to kamikaze itself into a supply truck driving by. They’re pretty unique in that respect. 2) like cluster munitions, there is a heightened chance of it not going off, run out of power, and just lying there waiting for some kid to find it.

1) Is not a thing that applies to switchblades.
2) Is not really true, unless you're aware of some big QC issues with that line. Probably less of a factor for a drone like this than say, a cluster munition where the sheer number of small explosive devices compounds the dud problem (notwithstanding munitions designed to act as mines).

Not really much different between the drone and a mortar shell, except the mortar shell isn't going to be as accurate.

marxismftw posted:

Which is pretty much just a convenient excuse to re-invade previous occupied parts of former empire.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 15, 2022

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, it hasn’t written current territory of Ukraine into its constitution. The thinking is very simple - Russia will actually get nukes out in that case, which is why Ukrainian loving president keeps saying throughout this loving war that they have no loving intent to ever do that, for fucks sake.

The assumption that Russia will start throwing around nukes is the Clancy chat part, but fine, we can have this discussion in a months time when the Ukrainians are shelling Armiansk.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Antigravitas posted:

That can't be real.

just lmao that we've gone from using the USSR to the Russian Empire down to the loving Frankish Empire as a justification for geopolitical rearrangements. I expect to see arguments invoking Baltica next.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

The comments on Poland here get back to that excavator insanity near Katyn --- some elements in Rusia are under delusion that regular Polish people like them.

https://twitter.com/AlexHazanov/status/1514761920548642825

(Also, Russian soldiers have been known to destroy memorial for Ukrainian Donbass veterans and the Heavenly Hundred)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

That can't be real.

That guy, Khazin, is a know character. As an economist, he’s regularly written about topics such as the imminent collapse of the USD, or EU running out of money to finance Eastern European members.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Antigravitas posted:

That can't be real.

I would've thought the term was "Wolkenkuckucksheimer".

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

PT6A posted:

I think there's going to be a lack of desire by the rest of the world to punish Russia too harshly for their stupidity

In order to prop up their economy and float their currency values they've burned a whole lot of bridges. Not just with nations but lots of very large private companies.

Short term they're going to get away with it. They'll have (and are having) real high inflation that will hurt but probably nothing bad enough to cause mass rioting or a coup to form up.

Long term (by this I mean a year or 2) it looks real bad for them. They've blown their creditability with everyone in the West, they'll get little to no investment capital from the West, they're slowly but surely being forced into default (kinda already happened a week or so ago but they've got leeway until the end of this month I think) since their currency isn't be accepted in lieu of dollars/euros, lots of key (and incredibly difficult to duplicate, even in the very long run) tech and materials won't be available or will be too expensive to afford, they've caused others to join and expand NATO (which makes them look incompetent to even their allies), major nations that they depend on to buy their oil are starting their move away from their oil (will take years but this is huge), they're going to start running out of foreign currency that they're using to prop up their currency and economy, + a bunch of other crap I either forgot.

All of this is very bad, pretty much baked in at this point, and isolates them while also weakening them economically and militarily as time goes on.

Hence all the talk of them turning into a version of NK at some point.

Its not impossible to turn this around but would likely require a completely about face on their war in Ukraine with peace declared, Putin would have to be couped or kicked out, make some sort've concessions WRT to their nuke policy to get the EU to change their stance, and some sort've serious payback to private industry would be needed as well.

The last one is probably the easiest and most likely to happen but I don't realistically see a way for the first 3 to happen. It won't be at all like it was in the 90's and stuff. Back then the West was willing to loan them cash, work with them on their defaults, invest in their country to some degree, and sell them plenty of tech. All of that is looking to be different this time around.

edit: Been posted already but I guess some didn't see it or consider it but this vid really lays it out pretty drat well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEpk_yGjn0E

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 15, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Wolkenkuckucksheimer is almost endearing. It's used to describe people who are harmless.

The poo poo coming from Russia now is completely unhinged. It's Alex Jonesian. Literally Alex Jones material.

I've been listening to Knowledge Fight and it seems like Alex Jones literally turned into a Russian asset in 2016. The only question I have is whether Russian media adopted Alex Jones or whether they had a great collaborative work to go even more batshit.

This loving decade :psyduck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

Wolkenkuckucksheimer is almost endearing. It's used to describe people who are harmless.

The poo poo coming from Russia now is completely unhinged. It's Alex Jonesian. Literally Alex Jones material.

I've been listening to Knowledge Fight and it seems like Alex Jones literally turned into a Russian asset in 2016. The only question I have is whether Russian media adopted Alex Jones or whether they had a great collaborative work to go even more batshit.

This loving decade :psyduck:

Russia was pushing a lot of the poo poo Alex Jones was shoveling out even before Alex Jones and other Right Wing guys aligned with them, largely because Russia felt that would be the easiest way to destabilize the West, especially with people like Trump.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

CNN spoke with the chief prosecutor of the Nuremberg Trials, 102-year-old Benjamin Ferencz. Remarkable man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UBlHLVIgeI
In March he also gave a radio interview to the BBC (at 37 minutes in https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0014xyg)
Sadly his call for an immediate ceasefire and peace conference is too much to ask for at this point, the rule of law has been utterly ripped to shreds :smith: .

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Is it by the same guy who made this back in the day?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

This is literally the most insane picture I've ever seen. They just cut it into 4 parts and gave them to whatever country was vaguely in that direction.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

No, this is Panarin.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

KillHour posted:

This is literally the most insane picture I've ever seen. They just cut it into 4 parts and gave them to whatever country was vaguely in that direction.

What are you talking about? I'm sure Texas and Florida would definite welcome becoming part of Mexico.

I'd say the guy was smoking something but that would imply some sort of creativity involved instead of simple laziness.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bremen posted:

What are you talking about? I'm sure Texas and Florida would definite welcome becoming part of Mexico.

I'd say the guy was smoking something but that would imply some sort of creativity involved instead of simple laziness.

I'm the idea that Kentucky and West Virginia would stick together with New York and Massachusetts. Also the idea that the divide would be cleanly along state lines, for whatever reason.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’d uhhh… Kinda like to see Russia try to take Alaska by force.

poo poo, at this point I’d kinda like to see Russia try to take Alaska after we evacuated every single Alaskan.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

Yeah that's what amazed me the most about this, this depths of delusion and overt pining for a return of the USSR.

No. No my friend, Germany is out of your reach. It's gone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrYenko posted:

poo poo, at this point I’d kinda like to see Russia try to take Alaska after we evacuated every single Alaskan.

Can we leave Sarah Palin behind?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

They'd be surprised by the lack of indoor toilets and paved roads.

Edit-

This will end up album art, mark my words.
\/\/\/

ummel fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 15, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

What a photo...
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1515085823720448002?s=20&t=UGpUx1BNZQ9D-wz1u4OfXw

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

MrYenko posted:

Dress the grizzly bears in camo and let them handle it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Youth Decay posted:

Dress the grizzly bears in camo and let them handle it.

prepare them by leaving IFV's stuffed full of food around alaska

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's some straight up warhammer poo poo right there. :skeltal:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Without context, I'd have called it Adeptus Mechanicus art from Warhammer 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

BUT I AM ALREADY SAVED, FOR THE MACHINE IS ETERNAL