Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

habeasdorkus posted:

I really enjoyed the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb way back in the day. Really should have the first book of that series, though. Fitz goes through a lot. I think I might have preferred the Liveship Traders trilogy set in the same world more. CW for sexual assault in the latter trilogy, tho.

I read a bunch of Farseer/Realm of the Elderlings last year and I just kept wanting Hobb to let Fitz rest already!! The man loving goes THROUGH it. I think The Fool is one of my favorite fantasy characters as well. If you're interested in picking up a big fantasy series it's definitely a good one to check out.

I'm reading Mira Grant's Alien: Echo right now and my stupid rear end didn't realize it was part of the actual Alien franchise until the xenomorph showed up. Enjoying a YA horror with a lesbian protagonist though. I always think Mira Grant/Seanan McGuire writes like she's making a Netflix original series, which is both easy to read and slightly annoying.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
https://twitter.com/Pierce_Brown/status/1513934960855379968

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Kalman posted:

Sockpuppet mode activated: you are thinking of Graydon Saunders Commonweal books, starts with The March North.

(Spoilerific) thread for discussion of the series here.

Late but yes this is exactly it, thanks!!

E: lmao

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It's amazing how many people look at NFTs and go "yes I'll get involved in this. Research it first? Nah it's fine." *5 minutes later* "...oh poo poo it's not fine, abort! Abort!"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656?lang=en

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
love to be stepping back on moving the project forwards

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Empire of Sand (Books of Ambha #1) by Tasha Suri - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8J34CC/

Wylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UA1KO82/

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

DreamingofRoses posted:

If you’re good with younger fiction: the anthology A Glory of Unicorns compiled by Bruce Coville is near and dear to my heart.

Thank you, I’ll check it out!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just lobbing this out there. Decided after space team to try the detective series that Hutchinson writes under the pen name JD Kirk, and I'm 2 in and it's pretty good.

Surprised me he can do comedy sci fi as well as detective novels.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The first trilogy of Red Rising owns hard, but the last book completely goes off the rails with eight million plots, and seems to be un-ironically supporting the Golds as literal ubermensch (ubermenschen? Mein Deutsch ist schrecklich) and complaining about things like democracy and unions. I'm hoping that's just because most of the characters we follow are awful people, so with luck the final book won't end on a sour note.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The first trilogy of Red Rising owns hard, but the last book completely goes off the rails with eight million plots, and seems to be un-ironically supporting the Golds as literal ubermensch (ubermenschen? Mein Deutsch ist schrecklich) and complaining about things like democracy and unions. I'm hoping that's just because most of the characters we follow are awful people, so with luck the final book won't end on a sour note.

With Ephaim dead the only current viewpoint character I'm interested in is Lyria. I liked Lyria as a real loving Red getting by on rage and sheer gently caress-off determination and surliness.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kestral posted:

Thirding Jenna Moran as an underrated indie author, definitely worth your time.

The Dragon Waiting is probably the one to go for since it's actually in print again; the rest of his bibliography will be returning fairly soon. If you're in to alt-history that also posits the existence and influence of magic, it's probably going to be up your alley. The Amazon summary is pretty decent:

... but I'll add that this is also an alternate history in which the very real Roman emperor Julian the Apostate manages to not get killed in the Battle of Samarra and instead becomes the emperor who prevents Christianity from becoming the state religion. It gets considerably weirder from there.

Well now I'm curious!

I bought Dragon Waiting as a result of this post and I'm devouring it quicker than anything I've read in a while. It's shame it seems he didn't write that many novels? Because Dragon Waiting so far is great.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

algebra testes posted:

I bought Dragon Waiting as a result of this post and I'm devouring it quicker than anything I've read in a while. It's shame it seems he didn't write that many novels? Because Dragon Waiting so far is great.

I've read a lot of George RR Martin's other works and it's incredibly clear how influential The Dragon Waiting was on A Song Of Fire and Ice's style.

Edit: 1984's World Fantasy Award for best novel is a murderer's row of things that influenced A Song Of Fire and Ice and good poo poo.

Dragon Waiting, of course, Jack Vance's Lyonesse (soo much of the spectacle/fantasy of ASOFAI is cribbed from Vance's Lyonesse), Martin's own Armageddon Rag (which isn't great, perhaps the most self-congratulatory Boomer/Deadhead fantasy novel, the failure of which sent him into writing for television), Pet Sematary, Tea With The Black Dragon (which I've never read, but apparently is very cosy for those looking for cosy fantasy novels), and Manuel Mujica Láinez's The Wandering Unicorn (which that guy looking for Unicorn novels should check out).

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 14, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Everyone posted:

With Ephaim dead the only current viewpoint character I'm interested in is Lyria. I liked Lyria as a real loving Red getting by on rage and sheer gently caress-off determination and surliness.

Yeah, she owns. And the stuff with the pogrom of Gammas, the Obsidian setting up their own mines, and the big heroic rescue done by random Reds, it hints at a book with a better take on conflict and post-war reconciliation. But it gets skimmed over in favour of chaos space marines.

I did enjoy Cool obsidian lady and ephraim's death scenes though. They're just so horrible and nightmarish, but also badass as hell.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I found Dark Age moved at a breakneck pace because of all the plotlines. It never gave you a moment to breath. Which was surprisingly anxiety producing. I think the politics in the book were meant as an "Empire Strikes Back" moment more than actually supportive of the old Gold eugenicist system. We'll see how it turns out in the final book of the trilogy, but the series has been anti-eugenicist from the start and barring a real downer ending I don't see it ending with "Darrow loved being Gold."

Also, Seraphina getting chumped (and chunked) after being such a stereotypical warmongering rear end in a top hat Gold was a rewarding moment. We see her death from both Lysander and Darrow's viewpoint and in the latter it's just one line. So much for her glorious war.

Also, also Volga loving rules and I cannot wait for her to wreck Fa's poo poo.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

I found Dark Age moved at a breakneck pace because of all the plotlines. It never gave you a moment to breath. Which was surprisingly anxiety producing. I think the politics in the book were meant as an "Empire Strikes Back" moment more than actually supportive of the old Gold eugenicist system. We'll see how it turns out in the final book of the trilogy, but the series has been anti-eugenicist from the start and barring a real downer ending I don't see it ending with "Darrow loved being Gold."

Also, Seraphina getting chumped (and chunked) after being such a stereotypical warmongering rear end in a top hat Gold was a rewarding moment. We see her death from both Lysander and Darrow's viewpoint and in the latter it's just one line. So much for her glorious war.

Also, also Volga loving rules and I cannot wait for her to wreck Fa's poo poo.

Yeah, I guess I'm just a little salty because Iron Gold starts out so strong with a great conflict between Society Remnant vs New Society vs Moon Lords, with all the political stuff too, it's really compelling and a great follow-up to the first trilogy. But then Dark Age doesn't feel like it moves that conflict along, it just piles on more stuff on top of it with the Ascomanni, AbominAdrius and the engineered coup, whatever the hell Figment is/was

The bits where it rubbed me the wrong way wrt Golds vs lesser people are [spoiler]Vectra giving birth by herself like a badass, where it feels like the narration is agreeing that she stronger and better than the weak Reds; and the scenes of the Vox Populi massacring the Senate and executing Theodora, which lean a bit too far into "the great and noble so-and-so died ignobly at the hands of these unwashed peasants". [/quote] The books do a great job of showing how fascist and awful the Golds are, so it's kinda weird when it uses their language uncritically.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Y'all, Sea of Tranquility is drat fantastic, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's sorta doing the nesting doll bit that Cloud Atlas did, but when you get to the middle, it reveals it's high SF conceits, and then works back through its nested stories with that reveal in mind. There's a nice bit of meta-ness to it as well, with one of the stories being about a woman who wrote a pandemic novel that got adapted and became huge just as a pandemic was beginning. It's a little more tightly woven and less melancholic than Station Eleven was, but it's just as beautifully written.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 14, 2022

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I recently read a book that I have never seen mentioned here,

City of Pearl by Karen Traviss, book 1 of the 6 book Wess'Har series.

I found it looking for something like Species Imperative and I would say it very much fits the bill. A lot of similarities - the main concept is a future policewoman dealing with aliens while managing scientists on a distant planet. Not sure on the series as a whole yet after one book but I think I actually like it a bit more than Species Imperative. Anyway, worth a shot if you're looking for a multi-species alien conflict story.

e: here's the conclusion from a 1 star review from Goodreads lol

quote:

So on conclusion, not recommended unless you are a hippie vegan green loving environmentalist.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 14, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm just a little salty because Iron Gold starts out so strong with a great conflict between Society Remnant vs New Society vs Moon Lords, with all the political stuff too, it's really compelling and a great follow-up to the first trilogy. But then Dark Age doesn't feel like it moves that conflict along, it just piles on more stuff on top of it with the Ascomanni, AbominAdrius and the engineered coup, whatever the hell Figment is/was

The bits where it rubbed me the wrong way wrt Golds vs lesser people are Vectra giving birth by herself like a badass, where it feels like the narration is agreeing that she stronger and better than the weak Reds; and the scenes of the Vox Populi massacring the Senate and executing Theodora, which lean a bit too far into "the great and noble so-and-so died ignobly at the hands of these unwashed peasants". The books do a great job of showing how fascist and awful the Golds are, so it's kinda weird when it uses their language uncritically.

I just re-read that whole bit and Victra keeps called out on her Gold superiority poo poo. Lyria was "Sure, claim to be a badass or whatever but you know you had a platoon of doctors and tech on standby in case the tiniest little thing went sideways and we Reds didn't."

I do kind of wonder what's going to happen if/when Lyria finds Orpheus. Figure she'll end up getting some kind of weird Figment super-powers but I hope she doesn't get remade into a "Platinum" or something.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

algebra testes posted:

He died tragically early from lifelong health complications, and the world is poorer without him. He died intestate, too, and the resulting clusterfuck and a series of bizarre miscommunications between various parties resulted in his work essentially vanishing, despite being highly influential among writers who are now a lot more notable than he is. His work has basically been dragged out of an unmarked grave by a dedicated journalist who got everyone to talk to each other after many years, and Neil Gaiman relentlessly promoting Ford's work for something like a decade now.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Humble has a bunch of Warhammer 40K ebooks available in their Tales of the Space Marine Chapters 2022 by Black Library bundle.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

PeterWeller posted:

Y'all, Sea of Tranquility is drat fantastic, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's sorta doing the nesting doll bit that Cloud Atlas did, but when you get to the middle, it reveals it's high SF conceits, and then works back through its nested stories with that reveal in mind. There's a nice bit of meta-ness to it as well, with one of the stories being about a woman who wrote a pandemic novel that got adapted and became huge just as a pandemic was beginning. It's a little more tightly woven and less melancholic than Station Eleven was, but it's just as beautifully written.

I'm nearly 40% of the way through, and most of the Olive storyline so far seems like a whiny reflection of Emily St. John Mandel's own experience doing book tours. I hope it improves.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Armauk posted:

I'm nearly 40% of the way through, and most of the Olive storyline so far seems like a whiny reflection of Emily St. John Mandel's own experience doing book tours. I hope it improves.

Kinda like how in Station Eleven she spent way too much time on famous dead divorcee dad’s pov because (I assume) she thought that would keep her sf safely in Pulitzer-poo poo-tier lit fic territory or something? Sigh… I was afraid she’d insert something like that again

E. To be fair, I get she was portraying someone with maximum privilege to show how his son became a massive evil poo poo when that privilege was taken away by the world going to hell, but I hated every single chapter spent in the past to the point where I almost preferred the post-apocalyptic world which is… I’m not sure if that’s what she was going for

Gonna read her new one anyway

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 15, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Is it worth reading Station Eleven (which has been sitting on my TBR list for years) if I was lukewarm on the TV series? It was a very dissonant experience of great actors, great directing, really interesting design/worldbuilding and great soundtrack, none of which was really enough to redeem an incredibly melodramatic script.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Am I crazy or is there some advanced homophobia in The Man In The High Castle?

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

freebooter posted:

Is it worth reading Station Eleven (which has been sitting on my TBR list for years) if I was lukewarm on the TV series? It was a very dissonant experience of great actors, great directing, really interesting design/worldbuilding and great soundtrack, none of which was really enough to redeem an incredibly melodramatic script.

The book isn't very interesting for all the attention it's gotten.

I felt the same way about 'Zone One' by Colson Whitehead - it's supposed to be elevated genre fiction but just reads as derivative of more interesting works.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I'm about halfway through Saint Death's Daughter and enjoying it. Sapphic necromancer fiction, but not as internet shitposter as Harrow the Ninth. A little bit more classic fantasy, maybe towards The Goblin Emperor in terms of...feel...? But not as cozy & with the sense that there are actual stakes.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

Am I crazy or is there some advanced homophobia in The Man In The High Castle?

There's some advanced homophobia in the novel written in 1962 that's about Japan and Nazi Germany conquering the United States?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

Am I crazy or . . . The Man In The High Castle?

Yes

I haven't read it but Philip K. Dick wasn't remotely sane and pretty much anything he wrote us best read in the spirit of approaching an ecstatic vision

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Tezer posted:

I felt the same way about 'Zone One' by Colson Whitehead - it's supposed to be elevated genre fiction but just reads as derivative of more interesting works.

I enjoyed both of these. :shrug:

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Danhenge posted:

I'm about halfway through Saint Death's Daughter and enjoying it. Sapphic necromancer fiction, but not as internet shitposter as Harrow the Ninth. A little bit more classic fantasy, maybe towards The Goblin Emperor in terms of...feel...? But not as cozy & with the sense that there are actual stakes.

i am Interested!!!!!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Sapphic might be too specific, it's queer. One of the main character's love interests is consistently referred to as "they" and I don't think it's part of a formal mode of address.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Tezer posted:

I wouldn’t even call it elevated, like nowhere near David Mitchell or Kasuo Ishiguro writing sff good. Non-scifi people just get overexcited because it’s science fiction written for people who don’t normally read science fiction. They don’t have to go too far out from contemporary fiction to understand it. Which is totally fine when you know that’s what to expect

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 16, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes

I haven't read it but Philip K. Dick wasn't remotely sane and pretty much anything he wrote us best read in the spirit of approaching an ecstatic vision
I mean, everything before his stroke (or, if you believe him, the event where VALIS beamed information directly into his brain) is way saner than the later works... but also

wikipedia posted:

According to a 1975 interview in Rolling Stone,[57] Dick wrote all of his books published before 1970 while on amphetamines.
so really your choice is meth or mental illness

also Deus Irae really sucks for a book that is written by PKD and Zelazny, you'd think it would be one of the all-time greats just from seeing the authors' names

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Kestral posted:

... but I'll add that this is also an alternate history in which the very real Roman emperor Julian the Apostate manages to not get killed in the Battle of Samarra and instead becomes the emperor who prevents Christianity from becoming the state religion. It gets considerably weirder from there.

Well now I'm curious!

If anyone is interested in Julian the apostate, Gore Vidal wrote a novel of his life, similar in style to his American history novels, Lincoln, burr, Myra Breckenridge.

Probably my favourite of all his writing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Finished Stringers by Chris Panatier, and it was... unique. It's got sort of a Pratchett style writing with copious footnotes for humor, but it's also a legit sci fi story that's weird as hell until the other shoe drops and you figure out what's going on.

I'd recommend it if you dig the footnote style humor, or are just looking for one weird sci fi plot.

It was interesting and I enjoyed it. Not a 5 star space epic opera or anything but a pretty good story.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Everyone posted:

There's some advanced homophobia in the novel written in 1962 that's about Japan and Nazi Germany conquering the United States?

It's directed at the Nazis by Americans, that's what made me laugh.

And I know Dick was absolutely out of his mind.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

so really your choice is meth or mental illness

Probably both, amphetamines can trigger psychosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Danhenge posted:

I picked this up because Amal El-Mohtar recommended it, and I generally find her recommendations land with me. Looking forward to starting it (once I finish my Locked Tomb reread, appropriately enough).

Last thing I read on her rec was All The Horses of Iceland, which is about a Norse trader who travels through central Asia with a band of Khazars. It's pretty short, I read it in a single sitting, but the prose was some of the best I've read in a long time, and fantastic-historical fiction is always something I enjoy. Tor Novellas usually leave me cold (there's just something about the "house style" that I find intensely grating for whatever reason), but this is one of the best things I've read this year.