Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Dog_Meat posted:

I love that the setting is so messed up that a glassy eyed, clammy skinned, cyber-corpse robo-butler is only considered creepy when it doesn't follow it's instructions

There was a servitor doll in one of the books. Like, an actual child's toy.

In 40k even the talking dolls are servitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

There was a servitor doll in one of the books. Like, an actual child's toy.

In 40k even the talking dolls are servitors.

"I love the aesthetic of it. I love that they made robot replicas of babies to fly around swinging incense"
" ... "
"They're robot replica babies, right...?"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I remember reading that renaissance Italian nobles would break the wings of songbirds and give them as toys to their children if you're looking for historical inspiration

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Benagain posted:

I remember reading that renaissance Italian nobles would break the wings of songbirds and give them as toys to their children if you're looking for historical inspiration

Mutilating cute little creatures in order to enjoy their high-pitched singing voices? How atrocious! Boy, I'm glad it's something that IRL was only ever done to songbirds and certainly never to sentient people of any kind.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

https://www.warhammer-community.com...imited-edition/

Are these reprints or brand new works? I can assume I can get them online in about a year?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Huron is new

Kharn is old

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

quote:

In this stunning limited edition of Huron Blackheart: Master of the Maelstrom, or in a standard hardback edition, an ebook, or an MP3 audiobook which all arrive on the same day.

Looks like a simultaneous release in all formats.

Track of Worlds swears the Huron book is April release, so I imagine an announcement this Saturday or the next, then releases a week later.

Then the Kharn book to follow in May.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

Mutilating cute little creatures in order to enjoy their high-pitched singing voices? How atrocious! Boy, I'm glad it's something that IRL was only ever done to songbirds and certainly never to sentient people of any kind.

It's confirmed: living in the past sucked rear end, living right now sucks rear end, and the grim dark future will suck rear end.

Edit: at least in the future the eunuchs also get to be space Marines

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Finished Assasinorum:Kingmaker, it's a very entertaining spy thriller although the last quarter of the book takes a different turn. I still don't give a poo poo about imperial knights though.

Book gud.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Angry Lobster posted:

Finished Assasinorum:Kingmaker, it's a very entertaining spy thriller although the last quarter of the book takes a different turn. I still don't give a poo poo about imperial knights though.

Book gud.

The last quarter of the book is basically a toy commercial but that didn’t stop the book from being good.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre all toy commercials all the time, man

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theyre all toy commercials all the time, man

:hai:

Oh when is the Imperial Uplifting Primer reprint coming out?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Any time I think about the Forges Of Mars trilogy I mostly just wish there were more stories like the awesomely cool little cyberpunk coda they added to the omnibus version.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That just have been what it felt like when the astronomicon went out

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Oh when is the Imperial Uplifting Primer reprint coming out?

There is a possibility that the Infantry Guide isn't a primer reprint and a completely new book.
As the Primer wasn't written by McNeill, and he only wrote the Munitorum Manual in this case.

Also something I realized earlier today was that there's only 1 AoS book coming out and 15 30k/40k ones.
I wonder what happened there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The paperback of The Serpent and the Saint arrived today :woop:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Also something I realized earlier today was that there's only 1 AoS book coming out and 15 30k/40k ones.

How long ago was Josh Reynold's let go?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Cooked Auto posted:

I mean, 40k is a main cash cow even in BL. There are good aos books outside of Reynolds coming out, but they pass unnoticed.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cooked Auto posted:

There is a possibility that the Infantry Guide isn't a primer reprint and a completely new book.
As the Primer wasn't written by McNeill, and he only wrote the Munitorum Manual in this case.

The authors they had lined up for AoS left.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The new BL humble bundle has The Eye of Medusa so y'all better pick it up and give that a read
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/tales-space-marine-chapters-2022-black-library-books

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I really really look forward to Huron's upcoming book, more Mike Brooks please.

Preechr posted:

The last quarter of the book is basically a toy commercial but that didn’t stop the book from being good.

Ikr, it's pretty annoying.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Who were they? Is there a source on this?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just want to post my favorite recent book cover

“Look sir, a Titan!”

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Wish they had gone with a look for the Imperial Army that wasn't 'Also Cadians'. Although I guess that may be Malcador's personal goon squad regiment but either way, could've had more fun with it

Edit: It is a geat cover though

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
If only the Imperials had played more video games they would have known to shoot the forces of Horus in their giant glowing eyes and ended the war quickly

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Just want to post my favorite recent book cover

“Look sir, a Titan!”

I'm the dick lights

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Yo, Assassinorum: Kingmaker is really good

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Yeesh, that kinda sucks. Do we even have any idea what happened there other than just contract stuff assumably?

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I mean, 40k is a main cash cow even in BL. There are good aos books outside of Reynolds coming out, but they pass unnoticed.

I mean the only one coming out is the next Gotrek nove land the only ones I can remember before that is the two tied to AoS 3rd edition about Kragnos and the Witch Hunter duo.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

DaysBefore posted:

Wish they had gone with a look for the Imperial Army that wasn't 'Also Cadians'. Although I guess that may be Malcador's personal goon squad regiment but either way, could've had more fun with it

Edit: It is a geat cover though

At first, (especially on the cover of Legion) they looked like Cossacks. I guess they made them look like Cadians again to make them more marketable.

In other news, I finished Honour Guard today. It was great having the Pardus fight alongside the First. I do hope there are future books that portray comradely cooperation with other regiments - the blurbs don't make me too optimistic in that regard.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Miguel Prado posted:

Yo, Assassinorum: Kingmaker is really good

I bought it based on this . I’ll let you know

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

FPyat posted:

optimistic

This is not how you should approach Gaunt novels

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

is that huge lump on his neck a progenoid? jesus :whitewater:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

moonmazed posted:

is that huge lump on his neck a progenoid? jesus :whitewater:

Yeah the video that comes from goes into detail that a space marine is not going to be a work of beauty but instead a mass produced weapon that favors function over form.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FPyat posted:

At first, (especially on the cover of Legion) they looked like Cossacks. I guess they made them look like Cadians again to make them more marketable.

Thought that was the regiment that tagged along with the Alpha Legion. Geno before gene or something is their motto/battle cry?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Yeah the Geno Chilliad or or something

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeesh, that kinda sucks. Do we even have any idea what happened there other than just contract stuff assumably?

I mean the only one coming out is the next Gotrek nove land the only ones I can remember before that is the two tied to AoS 3rd edition about Kragnos and the Witch Hunter duo.

I am interested in the Kragnos and Witch Hunter Books. I think they need to devote a couple more authors to AoS.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Zil posted:

Yeah the video that comes from goes into detail that a space marine is not going to be a work of beauty but instead a mass produced weapon that favors function over form.

Are they though? I feel like in many ways they are designed to be like figure heads for the crusades and looking like greek heroes helps with that. Look at how hard into beauty/aesthic the Emperor went with everything.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

euphronius posted:

I bought it based on this . I’ll let you know

It's honestly one of those books where I wanted more of the leadup before the big fight at the end, like an Eisenhorn book. Watching an Assassin squad infiltrate a highly ritualized Knight world was cool.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Telsa Cola posted:

Are they though? I feel like in many ways they are designed to be like figure heads for the crusades and looking like greek heroes helps with that. Look at how hard into beauty/aesthic the Emperor went with everything.

Lords of Silence posted:

"You were made to protect us."

"They were. Never made for that! They were made. To end the galaxy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lots of characters, even good old Rowboat, spend a lot of time convincing themselves that the Astartes were made for some kind of constructive purpose, some sort of grand design leading towards a bright future for humanity.

All of them are wrong.