Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That's way too high up for that TV to be. Tvs should basically never go above fireplaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

speaking of mounting over fireplaces, I just bought a house and I am going to mount over a comparatively small electric fireplace, so the TV will still be at eye level. I've been using a Sonos playbase for a while but obviously this won't work with a mounted TV. What do people do for speakers when mounting? Get a pair of standing floor speakers and a sub?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When I think about Sonos I always think about the time I was at my gfs anti-vax uncles place and him and his friends were arguing about who's smart speaker was better, the Bose or the Sonos. Anyway, get real floor standing speakers.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

codo27 posted:

That's way too high up for that TV to be. Tvs should basically never go above fireplaces

Yeah click the link for the mantle mount in my post it'll fix that problem entirely. I had the same concern before I knew such a product existed.

Harriet Carker posted:

speaking of mounting over fireplaces, I just bought a house and I am going to mount over a comparatively small electric fireplace, so the TV will still be at eye level. I've been using a Sonos playbase for a while but obviously this won't work with a mounted TV. What do people do for speakers when mounting? Get a pair of standing floor speakers and a sub?

I'm not an expert but I think you may want to add a mantle over the fireplace so the hot air doesn't flow directly onto the TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They said it's an electric fireplace so it's really no different than having a floor register under it. It's just a forced air space heater with pretty lights.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Picked up the c1 77" from Costco today. Looks great, although a bit dim, even on HDR. Presume it's the settings. Is there a tried and true settings profile that I can copy that many like? It doesn't need to be dialed in perfectly so a generic upgrade would be beneficial! Thanks!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

TraderStav posted:

Picked up the c1 77" from Costco today. Looks great, although a bit dim, even on HDR. Presume it's the settings. Is there a tried and true settings profile that I can copy that many like? It doesn't need to be dialed in perfectly so a generic upgrade would be beneficial! Thanks!
this one's pretty decent; i'm more or less using it myself:

more info at https://old.reddit.com/r/LGOLED/comments/tp6xh2/lg_20172022_oleds_calibrated_settings_for_xbox/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kliras posted:

this one's pretty decent; i'm more or less using it myself:

more info at https://old.reddit.com/r/LGOLED/comments/tp6xh2/lg_20172022_oleds_calibrated_settings_for_xbox/

Thank very much! Perfect!

For the SDR settings, so I just skip those if my Xbox and appletv are connected with 4k hdr or will it switch over to SDR when playing that content so I will have to find something SDR to access those settings?

Kind of a weird question but it appears that webOS is detecting the connection and presenting the appropriate settings.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
you use "4k sdr" with "match content, match frame rate" on the apple tv so it'll switch to whatever. i use the webos settings for the apple tv, and it seems to work pretty well

the tv will detect sdr vs hdr vs dolby vision and switch accordingly, so you can set up different profiles for all of them, as long as said content is playing. it'll show an icon in top right for hdr and dolby vision content

my ps4 also appears to detect something else, it might be distinguishing between 60p and 24p, since i got a reset profile when i loaded a blu-ray on it

dolby vision on the new xbox is kind of busted so probably check out some of the more in-depth articles about it

i'm also currently trying out trumotion with "cinematic movement", because i think that's how you basically play back 24p content properly without dedicated vrr support. since i don't play games on consoles that much these days, it might not be an ideal thing to have on if you also play games at higher fps or watch stuff at higher framerate on youtube or twitch; i don't know whether it's just turned off when vrr is enabled as well, it's kind of a weird setting with more questions raised than problems solved, but i'm giving it a try for now

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Douche4Sale posted:

I have this tv and it was exactly what popped into my mind given the requirements.

Any chance you want to share your calibration settings if any?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

fyallm posted:

Just moved into a house and looking for an ~86inch tv and a 75inch tv. The 86 will go in my basement, already a wallmount from previous owner and 75 is going on my main floor that also has a wallmount. Mostly will be showing live sports on them, what is some of the go to tv's these days? Also is vignetting / banding still an issue with OLED's? I remember I tried to buy one a while back coming from a plasma screen and the corners looked gray instead of white..

I have had plasma's for the last 10 years if that helps.

I was thinking about for the basement the Sony A90J 83 Inch TV: BRAVIA XR OLED 4K

And for the main floor the LG OLED G1 Series 77

Any help or reviews on these 2?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The A90J and G1 are very similar TVs, both are excellent for most use cases including sports.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I can't wait for these new QD-OLED panels to be 75"+. Hopefully that happens next year.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh I'm so tired of all these specs and standards. HDMI 2.0 will do me right now but I hate to go investing in an active cable I'll need to output my PC display to the living room for couch gaming, and then maybe next year I'll need a 2.1. And then the HDMI wall plates I picked up, will they bottleneck the bandwidth regardless? Picked them up on the cheap so I doubt they are any kind of current standard, or is that irrelevant as its just passing through? Ugh.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

fyallm posted:

Any help or reviews on these 2?

I'd have trouble spending A90J money on a TV with two HDMI 2.1 ports. Guess it depends on your use case.

C2s and G2s are both out as well.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KS posted:

I'd have trouble spending A90J money on a TV with two HDMI 2.1 ports. Guess it depends on your use case.

C2s and G2s are both out as well.

Good call on the hdmi ports. Going to have an xbox and roku plugged into it.

And i guess i would have the sound going to the av unit.

How does the g2 vs a90j look?

fyallm fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 19, 2022

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

So I’m about to pull the trigger on a C1. And special goon preference between purchasing it at Best Buy or Costco?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Depends on how concerned you are about burn in and whether you will spring for an extended warranty

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I’m not too concerned about burn in. From what I’ve read here it doesn’t seem to be that much of a problem.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Forums legend Red Robin Hood has an affiliate thing with Best Buy where you click a link for a Nintendo product such as a game or amiibo and buy the tv and he gets a really good referral thing. I bought my new tv that way.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

Oh I'm so tired of all these specs and standards. HDMI 2.0 will do me right now but I hate to go investing in an active cable I'll need to output my PC display to the living room for couch gaming, and then maybe next year I'll need a 2.1. And then the HDMI wall plates I picked up, will they bottleneck the bandwidth regardless? Picked them up on the cheap so I doubt they are any kind of current standard, or is that irrelevant as its just passing through? Ugh.

If you use wall plates with an active cable you're gonna have a bad time, at least if you're trying to push 4k120.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TwoDice posted:

If you use wall plates with an active cable you're gonna have a bad time, at least if you're trying to push 4k120.

I just use the plates that are an open hole behind the tv. Can't see them anyway.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well Lord gently caress on top of it all anyway

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I’m looking for a full-motion wall mount for my LG 65C1. I need a pretty good range of extension and swing angle (side to side) to make it work.

Starburst SB-3790ART-FM or Sanus VXF730? The Sanus looks beefier but it’s also 5x the price lol

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got the cheapo amazon dealie and my TCL6 is fairly heavy. And it was on the wall for 4 years before that holding up my old Samsung and then my 850E. Maybe someone will tell you different but feels like an unnecessary thing to splurge on. Long as you know what you're doing and drill into studs I think you'll be fine.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

I’m looking for a full-motion wall mount for my LG 65C1. I need a pretty good range of extension and swing angle (side to side) to make it work.

Starburst SB-3790ART-FM or Sanus VXF730? The Sanus looks beefier but it’s also 5x the price lol

Whatever full motion mount they sell at Costco next to the tv you bought.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Somebody on my Nextdoor is selling a 55E6P, "Used in a video edit suite with very minimal hours, like new", $500. Wall hanging hardware included.

Pull the trigger or pass?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Somebody on my Nextdoor is selling a 55E6P, "Used in a video edit suite with very minimal hours, like new", $500. Wall hanging hardware included.

Pull the trigger or pass?

I would insist on seeing it on and working first. Look for any discoloration

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Looks like the E6 is a six year old model, so I'd def want to see it running and $500 sounds like a lot for something that old in tv years.

e: though it looks like it does have 3D, so if that's a priority it might be worth the premium

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My C6 has a ton of hours on it and it's still incredible to look at.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wandler20 posted:

My C6 has a ton of hours on it and it's still incredible to look at.
But how is the screen if you turn it on.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I posted a while back looking for recommendations for a TV, I ended up getting this one and also this soundbar, I'm very pleased with them.

I had a question about CEC and HDMI ARC - I'm new to modern TVs, my last one before this was from maybe 12 years ago. I have the soundbar connected via HDMI ARC and I've got both that and 'TCL CEC' enabled on the TV, meaning the TV remote seems to control the volume on the soundbar and when I put the TV on standby it also does the same for the soundbar. Would you normally espect this association to persist? Because it seems that after standby I have to manually turn the soundbar on (TV remote doesn't do it) and re-associate it with ARC - essentially having to disable and re-enable both CEC and ARC on the TV settings.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
CEC is loving busted like that some times. It won't work, then you'll have to disconnect something to whatever and then it'll magically work again u til you get a haircut.

It's a process of disconnecting everything, checking the settings, then powering things up one at a time.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
(e)arc is also one of the many things that live and die by firmware updates, probably one of the main things to pick a firmware version by

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah my sound bar randomly doesn't work and the tv defaults back to the internal speakers randomly. Drives me insane but I'm a dummy who probably doesn't notice for days at a time to so :v:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Well, my Roku TCL 55" died on me the other day. It would turn on, sync to my phone, and play sounds, but I got zero picture. I spent two days troubleshooting it and decided gently caress it, I'm getting an OLED. I'd been thinking about upgrading anyway, but couldn't justify it since I had a perfectly good 4k tv already. So I'm not too mad lol.

I'm going to pick up an LG C1 55" later today, but is there anything I need to know about it/settings I need to tweak? I saw kliras' post so I'll probably go through and set that all up, but is there anything else? I've never had an OLED before so this is basically all new to me. Also, if I need to use different picture settings on one input vs another, can I save them all individually, or would I have to change them every dang time I switch inputs? Also also, does anyone know if the LC C1 plays nice with my TCL soundbar? I liked that I could control the soundbar with my TV's remote, but I figure that's probably not the case with the C1. It's not the end of the world, but it'd be nice if there was a way for me to set that all up to be controlled with the TV's remote.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah my sound bar randomly doesn't work and the tv defaults back to the internal speakers randomly. Drives me insane but I'm a dummy who probably doesn't notice for days at a time to so :v:

I have a bunch of issues with my Sonos soundbar through eARC to my QN90a on both the internal apps and AppleTV. Some content (presumably Atmos, haven't fully troubleshot it all yet) just won't play sound despite the sound working through the menu options. Sometimes if I do the hard reboot on the Samsung (hold power for 5ish seconds) it'll work and sometimes if I just flat out turn off Atmos in the AppleTV it works, others it doesn't.

Picked up a C1 a few weeks ago and bought a second Sonos set up, no issues down there. By the way, The Batman looks and sounds incredible on the C1.

e: All 2.1 HDMI cables

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 24, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just passed 13,000 hours on my C6, still at good as the day I took it out of the box.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

Just passed 13,000 hours on my C6, still at good as the day I took it out of the box.

Is there a spot where you can see hours turned on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mine is a C1 with a Vizio sound bar through eARC. I can use the tv remote to control the volume so maybe the other brand will work for you as well. I haven't turned on any of the sound bar control options on the tv (assumed they were for lg sound bars only but ???) and it just worked.

Mine will still play sounds with whatever content, it's just the tv switches from eARC to tv speakers for the sound output randomly. 2.1 cables as well. I have shut power off (at the breakers) working on house wiring a few times lately and have had a couple power outages too so that may be contributing.