Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Can't wait to spend next week's Soros check on authentic Van Gogh monke paintings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

man, and oliver stone had such a sterling moral reputation before this

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man, and oliver stone had such a sterling moral reputation before this

My country goes too lightly on traitors.

Ammonchat: Ukraine seems to be fairly honest about their needs versus their wants. They're asking for artillery shells and rockets especially. One of James Vasquez's recent tweets asked for people to push their governments for small arms ammo, so that may be getting rationed rather than handed out like candy right now.

Modern high-intensity conflict uses a fuckton of ammunition, even with precision munitions everywhere.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7087067921398123781
unbreakable spirit

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’m guessing it’s self propelled artillery since there’s a loader. I’m seeing lots of people (Americans) claiming it’s fake or staged because the commander is a woman. I guess they don’t realize that Ukraine allows women to serve in front line combat rolls.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

yunichel posted:

You know that Ukraine declared total mobilization and all males 18-60 are banned from leaving the country, right?

It's not a matter of "choosing to put your life on the line" for everyone.

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-24-22-intl/h_4309a4916d57670f85519210a07fb2c9

Society must have extreme social cohesion for such proclamations to matter. If the population doesn't buy in, such proclamations are worthless or even counterproductive.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m guessing it’s self propelled artillery since there’s a loader. I’m seeing lots of people (Americans) claiming it’s fake or staged because the commander is a woman. I guess they don’t realize that Ukraine allows women to serve in front line combat rolls.

The US Army has women in combat jobs too (infantry, armor, reconnaissance, field artillery), including as commanders.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

OddObserver posted:

That's a lot of people, but nowhere near 500?

Also, related:
https://twitter.com/CarlSchreck/status/1515347152523964418
Tells a lot about the kind of man Putin is, doesn't it?
That's what, a hundred people, max?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mustang posted:

The US Army has women in combat jobs too (infantry, armor, reconnaissance, field artillery), including as commanders.

I think it's more about people thinking that the backwards sexist Ukraine surely wouldn't.

They all savages there innit (being sarcastic here, obviously).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/deankirby_/status/1515242598071472128

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Mr. Apollo posted:

It’s a SPG, tanks wouldn’t have open racks like that. People claiming it’s fake because they see a woman tanker are just sexists, disregard their opinion.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

It’s a SPG, tanks wouldn’t have open racks like that. People claiming it’s fake because they see a woman tanker are just sexists, disregard their opinion.

Also :biotruths: isn't being shorter an advantage in those environments?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

OddObserver posted:

Also :biotruths: isn't being shorter an advantage in those environments?

Gonna laugh at chuds making video essays about how armor has become feminized because women end up being better at it.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Are we mixing up Oliver Stone with Oliver North, or is there something about the former I'm not aware of?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

zenguitarman posted:

Are we mixing up Oliver Stone with Oliver North, or is there something about the former I'm not aware of?

While we’re there, what’s the relationship between Oliver and Roger Stones.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I've been reading articles for years saying that a lot of their tank manufacturing centers have been on the edge of bankruptcy or being shut down. I'm just amazed that it's happening right now in the middle of one of the largest standup wars in modern history.

Ukraine manufactured a lot of Russia's military equipment, especially certain high technology like FCS systems for tanks and more complex machinery like turbine engines (naval ones, coincidentally enough). They were also Russia's source for cast steel armor until the part of Azovstal that made cast parts closed down in the '90s, so Russia has been forced to pick and choose which T-90 tanks get the last of the cast turrets in their inventory as opposed to welded turrets, for example.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Hes not going to do the Kursk all over again

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 17, 2022

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
drat kurks, they ruined kurkland.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

zenguitarman posted:

Oliver Stone is a big Putin fan.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

While we’re there, what’s the relationship between Oliver and Roger Stones.
No relationship, they just share the same last name and love of authoritarian leaders.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 17, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://meduza.io/news/2022/04/15/fsb-predlozhilo-na-17-uvelichit-gosudarstvennye-rashody-na-pohorony-rossiyskih-voennyh

FSB did request a 17% budget increase for military burials this Friday.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’ve been busy with real life so have kinda missed out on the news and thread in general. Is this still up to date?:

Kiev and everything around it is Russian-free, Ukrainians more or less control that entire north region again. The south-easty areas are Russian controlled (have there been any Ukrainian counter offenses to get land back?). At some point Ukraine sunk a Russian ship and that was a nice morale victory. Marioupol may or may not be controlled by Russians or Ukrainians and is a little pocket cut off from everything.

I can’t believe we’re nearing month two of this and Ukraine held out the way it did.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

buglord posted:

I’ve been busy with real life so have kinda missed out on the news and thread in general. Is this still up to date?:

Kiev and everything around it is Russian-free, Ukrainians more or less control that entire north region again. The south-easty areas are Russian controlled (have there been any Ukrainian counter offenses to get land back?). At some point Ukraine sunk a Russian ship and that was a nice morale victory. Marioupol may or may not be controlled by Russians or Ukrainians and is a little pocket cut off from everything.

I can’t believe we’re nearing month two of this and Ukraine held out the way it did.

Kyiv and everything up until Kharkiv, clockwise along the border, is free. Russia maintains presence in east (Kharkiv to Donetsk) and south (Kherson to Mariupol) fronts. Ukraine has made some minor pushes in the western outskirts of Kherson, but nothing grand. They did also sink 2 ships - a landing craft near Mariupol a few weeks ago, and the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet a few days ago. As for the Mariupol itself, it has been firmly encircled for over a month now, and there’s limited information available - the best we can tell is that at least half of the city is under Russian control already.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1515524471289004035
C5 Super Galaxy flights have been landing in Poland, I wonder if those are the mi17 helicopter deliveries.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jmvasquez1974/status/1515537897356599296
:(

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

loving Shrek and his "interpreter" girlfriend.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Young Freud posted:

loving Shrek and his "interpreter" girlfriend.
Wasn’t he the one that said “you should have told me there were rules about not disclosing our location”?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Apparently Ukrainians are trying to bribe officials to get let into the TDF. There's a cap on new entrants because of limitations on training capacity but there's a ton of people who want to kill some Russians.

I was wondering if this could be used to estimate the number of Russians getting killed in Ukraine but then I realised they're leaving most of their dead in the field so it would be pretty worthless.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

This feels like an echo of the Soviets in Afghanistan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvUSLKB9UMs&ab_channel=%E3%81%95%E3%82%93%E3%81%BF%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A1%E3%83%BC

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 17, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Very good article on Zelenszky's messaging apparatus.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

buglord posted:

Pretty much? To summarize, after massive losses and minimal progress Russia retreated and is (supposedly) consolidating and re-organizing their offensive along fewer fronts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Good news.

https://twitter.com/jmvasquez1974/status/1515556813634113538

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Per Ukraine General Staff Russia may be preparing a naval landing operation on Mariupol
https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/04/17/7340158/

quote:

In the Donetsk and Tavriya directions , the enemy continued to launch air strikes on Mariupol. Conducted assault operations near the seaport.

Units of the 810th and 155th separate Marine brigades are being prepared for the landing naval operation. The information is currently being clarified.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Youth Decay posted:

Per Ukraine General Staff Russia may be preparing a naval landing operation on Mariupol
Has anything changed, that would make this easier than it was last time they were looking at doing this?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Youth Decay posted:

i don't understand, they have a multiple uncontested ground corridors and the remaining ukrainian resistance seems concentrated in few large industrial blocks. what benefit could there possibly be in a naval landing?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't understand, they have a multiple uncontested ground corridors and the remaining ukrainian resistance seems concentrated in few large industrial blocks. what benefit could there possibly be in a naval landing?

Odessa is a non-starter and they just lost their flagship, could be a desperate attempt by the navy to not look completely worthless.

"Look, see, we're helping!"

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Nessus posted:

Has anything changed, that would make this easier than it was last time they were looking at doing this?

Yes. Russians made Ukrainians waste their ASMs in a clever feint :v:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

Guessing this is supposed to be the coup de grace for Mariupol? I don't see they're be any real reason to have an amphibious landing, since the city is supposedly mostly in Russian hands right now.

Feels like they have uncontested shore line compared to everywhere else west of the Dnieper river so it's more like doing an amphibious invasion just for the sake of having an amphibious invasion.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Young Freud posted:

Guessing this is supposed to be the coup de grace for Mariupol? I don't see they're be any real reason to have an amphibious landing, since the city is supposedly mostly in Russian hands right now.

Feels like they have uncontested shore line compared to everywhere else west of the Dnieper river so it's more like doing an amphibious invasion just for the sake of having an amphibious invasion.

Some maps have them controling the coastal district on the west side too

A complete bombardment of Azovstal seems more likely to be honest.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Nessus posted:

Seems like Ukrainian forces are now just in the steelworks so an amphibious landing at this point could make their position even less tenable.

Apparently the steelworks is full of tunnels and looking at google maps is surrounded on 3 sides by water and it's about 3km from one end to the other. It would be an absolute headfuck to assault if the defenders have any ammo left so i can imagine the temptation to bring in reinforcements from a different direction to take some of the heat off the rest of the guys attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Meanwhile, Azov is upset at Zelensky is implying de-blockading is impossible apparently

https://twitter.com/Polk_Azov/status/1514659133462654992