Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
What's the he best way to fix this screen door?

The porch has settled and the door rubs/sticks. The top handle side corner rubs quite a bit, and there's a spot on the handle side vertical frame that rubs as well.

Here's the door:

So it looks like there's trim material in I can shave down. I'm thinking about 1/8 would be good? 1/16 doesn't seem like enough. I figure 1/8 is enough to expand/contract without opening too wide or rubbing anymore.

Follow-up: how do I do this without disassembling everything completely? I don't expect sanding is a good idea... I have a router attachment for my Dremel. Not sure it'll work very well, but better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

What's the he best way to fix this screen door?

The porch has settled and the door rubs/sticks. The top handle side corner rubs quite a bit, and there's a spot on the handle side vertical frame that rubs as well.

Here's the door:

So it looks like there's trim material in I can shave down. I'm thinking about 1/8 would be good? 1/16 doesn't seem like enough. I figure 1/8 is enough to expand/contract without opening too wide or rubbing anymore.

Follow-up: how do I do this without disassembling everything completely? I don't expect sanding is a good idea... I have a router attachment for my Dremel. Not sure it'll work very well, but better than nothing.

1/8 of an inch? Sandpaper or a palm sander.... definitely don't go at that with a router attachment. Before you do that, check that the screws holding the hinges on the door and frame are good and tight.

You might also be able to loosen the frame a little and get some wiggle room that way.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Really? Seems like it'd take forever to sand down 1/8" up the whole 80" of the door frame.

Haven't tried the screws yet, but I'm not convinced. Trying to plan for worst case scenario... if I could gain 1/16 that might be enough to call it good enough, but I don't think there's enough room.

I suppose to be clear: my plan is to remove the top and handle-side frame, remove 1/8" of the wood, and re-mount everything. Was planning on leaving the hinge side alone since it actually seems to be where it needs to be.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm a lazy pile of poo poo, but also a cheap pile of poo poo.

I want to do a bit of renovations on my pad. Its pretty small, like around 500 ish sq feet.
I specifically want to paint the walls to something lighter than they are as it gets fairly dark in here, even with the lights on. Probably some sort of off white/eggshell type colour, as currently the walls in most of the place are as my friend says "baby puke green".

Then I want to get the floors replaced as my "hardwood floor product" is kinda beat up and its swollen and bumpy in a corner near where my dishwasher leaked.

Lastly I want to get my kitchen and some storage cabinets refaced. I guess that can involve either just putting new doors on them, or could involve painting the outsides as well.

I don't expect I can get all done at once, or in quick succession, but I figure I can space them out over a year or so. One task done first, the next in a few months, and a few months after that the last one. If I were going to do that, which order should I do them in?

I have no idea if I will do these things myself or pay someone to do it. I'm leaning towards getting a pro as it would take them a day to do each thing whereas I'll take a month to paint one wall :v:

Is the interior design thread a place to ask for more specific questions/advice or is that more the "crappy construction but for bad decorating decisions" thread?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

Really? Seems like it'd take forever to sand down 1/8" up the whole 80" of the door frame.

Haven't tried the screws yet, but I'm not convinced. Trying to plan for worst case scenario... if I could gain 1/16 that might be enough to call it good enough, but I don't think there's enough room.

I suppose to be clear: my plan is to remove the top and handle-side frame, remove 1/8" of the wood, and re-mount everything. Was planning on leaving the hinge side alone since it actually seems to be where it needs to be.

With 60 grit sandpaper on an electric sander, that's not going to take any time at all.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

I'm a lazy pile of poo poo, but also a cheap pile of poo poo.

I want to do a bit of renovations on my pad. Its pretty small, like around 500 ish sq feet.
I specifically want to paint the walls to something lighter than they are as it gets fairly dark in here, even with the lights on. Probably some sort of off white/eggshell type colour, as currently the walls in most of the place are as my friend says "baby puke green".

Then I want to get the floors replaced as my "hardwood floor product" is kinda beat up and its swollen and bumpy in a corner near where my dishwasher leaked.

Lastly I want to get my kitchen and some storage cabinets refaced. I guess that can involve either just putting new doors on them, or could involve painting the outsides as well.

I don't expect I can get all done at once, or in quick succession, but I figure I can space them out over a year or so. One task done first, the next in a few months, and a few months after that the last one. If I were going to do that, which order should I do them in?

I have no idea if I will do these things myself or pay someone to do it. I'm leaning towards getting a pro as it would take them a day to do each thing whereas I'll take a month to paint one wall :v:

Is the interior design thread a place to ask for more specific questions/advice or is that more the "crappy construction but for bad decorating decisions" thread?

Painting can be done in a weekend - the hardest part is moving any crap out of the rooms. This is by far the simplest task you can do from your list. Watch some videos from This Old House on youtube about painting, and you'll be fine. This is *really* hard to gently caress up unless you spill a gallon of paint into carpet or something. Absolute worst case you sand it down and start again.

TOH also has videos on painting cabinets, but that definitely is more work then painting a random wall.

The floor is probably the hardest thing you listed. It's definitely doable DIY, but you'll have to consider if you want to buy the relevant tools.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
All else equal, I'd do floors first, especially since Doing It Right almost always involves doing something with the baseboards. If you painted and did the relevant caulking and repainting you'd have to just do it over again.

I am a big fan of tile in any room that gets wet. Tile is trickier to install than laminate, and for the size you're talking about it is probably better to hire someone to do it rather than buy all the tools. If you do it yourself or hire someone, do not be a scoundrel and tile up to the baseboards with a grout line because that is the worst!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DaveSauce posted:

No need to mess around w the frame, just re-mount the track in which the screen door slides.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

devicenull posted:

Painting can be done in a weekend - the hardest part is moving any crap out of the rooms. This is by far the simplest task you can do from your list. Watch some videos from This Old House on youtube about painting, and you'll be fine. This is *really* hard to gently caress up unless you spill a gallon of paint into carpet or something. Absolute worst case you sand it down and start again.

TOH also has videos on painting cabinets, but that definitely is more work then painting a random wall.

The floor is probably the hardest thing you listed. It's definitely doable DIY, but you'll have to consider if you want to buy the relevant tools.

For the floors, thats one thing thats really been off putting for me, like yeah I can buy some sweet sweet new tools, but they'll probably be used once every 10 years or something or maybe never again.... I've still been playing with the idea off and on about painting and still might do it, but I know that to do it right, particularly with a colour change, I'd have to do several coats (maybe not that big of a deal) and maybe prime too? And figure out which kind of paint it is, as I recall, you can put one kind of paint over another, but not the other way around Like paint X can go over paint Y, but paint Y can't be put over top of Paint X and I have no idea how to figure out which is which. DIYing it though, WOULD save me a few thousand probably which would of course mean I could spend a bit more on the hardwood, or cabinet work. gently caress me :effort:

canyoneer posted:

All else equal, I'd do floors first, especially since Doing It Right almost always involves doing something with the baseboards. If you painted and did the relevant caulking and repainting you'd have to just do it over again.

I am a big fan of tile in any room that gets wet. Tile is trickier to install than laminate, and for the size you're talking about it is probably better to hire someone to do it rather than buy all the tools. If you do it yourself or hire someone, do not be a scoundrel and tile up to the baseboards with a grout line because that is the worst!
My bathroom, kitchen and "laundry closet" have tile. so it would just be my living/dining room and maybe if I'm feeling frisky my bedroom too. In total, those two areas are maybe like 400 square feet?
Good point about the baseboards, from the little bit of looking that I've done, it seems that most places that do floors also install baseboards too, so I could get both done at the same time.

How awful of an idea would it be for me to yank out the baseboards, have the place painted first, then get floors done? Reasoning being: the painters (or I) could basically paint right down to the floors and then once the floors are done the baseboards can be put right over top of the paint, without having to worry about masking down there.

Good idea? Bad? Is that the sort of thing that *sounds* like a good idea, but is actually not that great in practice?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That’s a bad idea, bc you’ll have people inevitably bump into and scuff your freshly painted walls when you’re doing flooring. Plus you have to caulk and paint the baseboards anyways.

Do floors first, then cabinets (I’d hire someone) then paint

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Got ya. I figure with the cabinets, I'd just bring each door to a "place" and get them to remake them, just with a better quality product. The fake wood looking plastic covering is starting to chip and flake off the edges of some of the drawers and doors. I figure if I get them to drill all the holes for hinges and whatnot in exactly the same places, then I could probably do that myself. It *seems* like I would just have to remove the old doors, and then screw the new ones in, but then I've never done something like this before.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I liked pre-painting my baseboard then only having to touch up corners and nail holes. It made the project go a lot slower than a pro would do it, but I work slow either way.

Painters-caulk gets dirty really fast, so resist the temptation not to paint that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Whenever I consider hiring a professional for a task, I think about what kind of value that professional is adding and whether that's worth the extra cost to me. Professionals add value through force multiplication, access to better equipment, expertise and technical experience, better access to materials, and being able to summon a large crew to lend many hands.

We painted our cabinets ourselves and they turned out great. It is a task that requires a lot of meticulous surface prep. It all but requires a good HVLP paint sprayer, good technique, and a lot of space where you can set up a dust-free, draft-free spray booth (lots of plastic sheeting in our garage). It also requires the willingness to do a lot of re-work for when you did everything right and somehow got a little running drip and need to go back several steps to fix it.
The economics worked in our favor because we had help from family members who had done it before (skills and experience minimized rework), access to borrow a pretty good paint sprayer (not as good as a true commercial one, but a pretty nice consumer one), and enough space and timeline to absorb schedule decay. If any one of those factors didn't apply anymore I think I'd just hire someone for it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Is there a specific thread for home solar?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

For the floors, thats one thing thats really been off putting for me, like yeah I can buy some sweet sweet new tools, but they'll probably be used once every 10 years or something or maybe never again.... I've still been playing with the idea off and on about painting and still might do it, but I know that to do it right, particularly with a colour change, I'd have to do several coats (maybe not that big of a deal) and maybe prime too? And figure out which kind of paint it is, as I recall, you can put one kind of paint over another, but not the other way around Like paint X can go over paint Y, but paint Y can't be put over top of Paint X and I have no idea how to figure out which is which. DIYing it though, WOULD save me a few thousand probably which would of course mean I could spend a bit more on the hardwood, or cabinet work. gently caress me :effort:

There's a painting thread here - but you're way overthinking this. You can put modern latex over anything that's already on the wall. If you want to prime you can, but if you don't buy the cheapest pain possible it's probably not necessary. The important part is to thoroughly clean the walls with TSP (wear gloves and safety glasses) before you start painting (and wipe it off with water)

You'll always be happier if you do two coats, so just plan on doing that to begin with. As far as paint, I've been happy with Benjamin Moore Regal Select (or find whatever paint store is nearby - not home depot/lowes).

There's no way your floors are going to need to be redone in 10 years, unless you wear sandpaper shoes around the house or something.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I thought that latex didn't stick particularly well to oil paint?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My exercise bike has been making an annoying squeaking/rubbing sound. I opened the case up and took this video (has sound):

https://i.imgur.com/gaTNYZx.mp4

The squeaking is definitely coming from the rear hub. Any ideas what specifically I should be looking for? The rubber belt is a little frayed on one side but otherwise looks to be in good shape. I could easily believe that some shed fur from my dog got up into the internals of the bike, but I don't see anything obviously wrong.

Could this be as simple as just lubricating the rear axle? If so, what kind of grease should I use? The only kind I have on hand is graphite powder, and I rather suspect that's not the right tool for this job.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sounds like rubber on metal squeak to me but that's very faint. Might try cleaning pulley and belt or try some belt dressing spray. The belt may have stretched over time and a new one might take care of it otherwise. If that doesn't do it then next step would probably be to take it apart and throw some grease at it internally.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Rakeris posted:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Use a razorblade scraper on the window.

Not for painted surfaces though.
They have plastic ones for painted surfaces, or at least I was told they are for painted surfaces.

This worked insanely well, thank you! I ordered a scraper with both plastic and metal blades. The metal end made quick work of the sticker on the chrome bumper. I used the plastic one for the window at first because I was worried about scratching the tint, and it sucked. When I gave up on it and switched back to the metal one the window sticker came off extremely easily and nothing got even close to getting scratched.

Razor blade scrapers work way better than I expected and my motor skills are absolutely dogshit so if I can do it, anyone can.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my white vinegar says 6% acidity - does this mean it's already diluted? I'm trying to figure out what the "average" dilution is of white vinegar that you buy at the store.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

actionjackson posted:

my white vinegar says 6% acidity - does this mean it's already diluted? I'm trying to figure out what the "average" dilution is of white vinegar that you buy at the store.

It's vinegar, which is mostly water. Vinegar contains acetic acid, yours is at 6%. The exact acidity you'd get from home-making your own vinegar depends on the strain of culture's tolerance to the rising acidity, which always eventually kills the culture. But storebought vinegar needs to have fairly consistent acidity, so quality control almost definitely involves brewing it at a bit higher concentration and then carefully diluting it to exactly the acidity advertised. Typically that's 4-8%.

If you want more concentrated/stronger acid, you can buy it, but maybe not at the grocery store. E.g., https://www.fishersci.com/us/en/products/J5JUYHRB/general-purpose-concentrated-acetic-acid.html

"Acetic acid solution" is 10%-80%, "Acetic acid - glacial" is anhydrous (water free) and flammable and probably not what you want lol.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 21, 2022

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
White cleaning vinegar has 6% acidity. Normal vinegars for cooking usually have less. If you've got cleaning instructions talking about vinegar, they probably mean your 6% vinegar and might also be saying to dilute it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

It's vinegar, which is mostly water. Vinegar contains acetic acid, yours is at 6%. The exact acidity you'd get from home-making your own vinegar depends on the strain of culture's tolerance to the rising acidity, which always eventually kills the culture. But storebought vinegar needs to have fairly consistent acidity, so quality control almost definitely involves brewing it at a bit higher concentration and then carefully diluting it to exactly the acidity advertised. Typically that's 4-6%.

If you want more concentrated/stronger acid, you can buy it, but maybe not at the grocery store. E.g., https://www.fishersci.com/us/en/products/J5JUYHRB/general-purpose-concentrated-acetic-acid.html

thanks. I'm using it mixed with water to deal with grout efflorescence. it's effective to some degree (I've had a few spots where the salt comes up out of the grout a couple days later), but so far I've only done 50/50 which is recommended. I want to go higher without causing any damage. I apply, brush, and then wash with cold water after five minutes. The tile getting damaged isn't an issue as it's glazed porcelain. I guess I'll just go to more concentrated on a small spot and see how it goes. generally you want to hear the fizzing to now something is happening.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

my white vinegar says 6% acidity - does this mean it's already diluted?

In practice, any acid you're going to come into contact with is likely to be diluted. The only counter-example I can think of is that you can buy pure citric acid, which comes as a white powder that you then have to dilute into water yourself (or mix into whatever recipe you're making; it's good for making sour candies, for example).

I would expect that any product that has a specific listed acidity on the packaging has been diluted or distilled to achieve a consistent result.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah i guess my question should be is that more diluted than other store bought white vinegars. the label says distilled white vinegar, diluted to 6%

obviously target is not going to sell undiluted acetic acid haha

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
In the US at least (maybe everywhere?) they're going to expect people to have either 5% "white vinegar" or 6% "cleaning vinegar" on hand. 5% is the "normal" concentration that people will have for "white vinegar," for things like making pickles and otherwise doing cooking. Most instructions for how to use vinegar for cleaning will assume most people will use 5%, and that some will sometimes use 6% cleaning vinegar that they ended up buying for that purpose.
That isn't to say you shouldn't try using a more concentrated solution, but the short version is no, yours is either as or even more concentrated than what the instructions expect.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

Sounds like rubber on metal squeak to me but that's very faint. Might try cleaning pulley and belt or try some belt dressing spray. The belt may have stretched over time and a new one might take care of it otherwise. If that doesn't do it then next step would probably be to take it apart and throw some grease at it internally.

Thanks for the advice. I went to the local auto parts store; they measured the belt as being about 52.5" long, and sold me the closest they had, a 52.25" belt. However, I'm totally unable to get it into position:

The tensioner isn't in the belt path, but no matter what I do, the belt doesn't want to go around the rear wheel. It just slips off as I rotate the wheel. Any advice?

EDIT: I tried loosening the bolts that hold the front wheel in position, so it can move back. That makes it trivial to get the belt into place, but then the belt prevents me from putting the wheel back. Same problem, different angle.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 22, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Use a thin flathead screwdriver to hold the belt where your thumb is in that picture and slowly turn the pedal lever clockwise. You'll need to use a little leverage to hold the belt, so you'll be pulling the screwdriver handle away from the center as you rotate.

Probably should spin both the pedal wheel and the front wheel to see if the squeak is present without the belt.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Use a thin flathead screwdriver to hold the belt where your thumb is in that picture and slowly turn the pedal lever clockwise. You'll need to use a little leverage to hold the belt, so you'll be pulling the screwdriver handle away from the center as you rotate.

Probably should spin both the pedal wheel and the front wheel to see if the squeak is present without the belt.

Thanks. It took some contortions to brace the bike properly, and way more force than I was really comfortable with, but I got it!

Now I get to uninstall it, because I didn't check to make sure the tensioner was properly set up, and it's not. :suicide:

At least the wheel isn't making a rubbing noise!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks. It took some contortions to brace the bike properly, and way more force than I was really comfortable with, but I got it!

Now I get to uninstall it, because I didn't check to make sure the tensioner was properly set up, and it's not. :suicide:

This still counts as a success story

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Using the same screwdriver, about the 6 o'clock position, wedge the screwdriver between the belt and pulley, just enough to reach the back edge of the belt. Push the screwdriver handle in towards the center of the wheel as you turn slowly clockwise.

Keep practicing and one day you'll be able to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Got it done! I have two spare screws, but they're the size used to hold the cover onto the frame, so I assume I'm just missing two of those -- there were a ton of those screws, so no big deal if two are missing. And the bike's running smoothly. Presumably I'll need to re-tension the belt in a week or month or something, but that's easy.

Thanks again for the help, y'all!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Good job, glad it worked out.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Corla Plankun posted:

This worked insanely well, thank you! I ordered a scraper with both plastic and metal blades. The metal end made quick work of the sticker on the chrome bumper. I used the plastic one for the window at first because I was worried about scratching the tint, and it sucked. When I gave up on it and switched back to the metal one the window sticker came off extremely easily and nothing got even close to getting scratched.

Razor blade scrapers work way better than I expected and my motor skills are absolutely dogshit so if I can do it, anyone can.

Protip: Buy a pack of 100 blades. They only work so well when you're applying a clean, sharp blade.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Protip: Buy a pack of 100 blades. They only work so well when you're applying a clean, sharp blade.

Yeah I have about 7 box cutters spread around the house with a pack of 50 blades at my work bench inside and 50 outside. I just bought a scraper because I lack one, but I also bought a 50 pack of those blades becuase fresh blades are key.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Corla Plankun posted:

fwiw I think tints are applied to the interior side of the glass

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

dupersaurus posted:

fwiw I think tints are applied to the interior side of the glass

Aftermarket tint goes inside, yes. Factory tint tends to just be darker glass, no film needed.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Recent homebuyer here. Discovered a missing line of grout on a floor tile in my bathroom - looks like it's been chipping away in recent months. One side of one tile. Is that a you-must-fix-now-or-things-will-shift kinda deal or can I put that off a few weeks til I get the rest of the house tuned up? Thinking I might just get what it takes to regrout the whole floor if I'm gonna be working on it anyway.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Recent homebuyer here. Discovered a missing line of grout on a floor tile in my bathroom - looks like it's been chipping away in recent months. One side of one tile. Is that a you-must-fix-now-or-things-will-shift kinda deal or can I put that off a few weeks til I get the rest of the house tuned up? Thinking I might just get what it takes to regrout the whole floor if I'm gonna be working on it anyway.

If you have a rug and aren't dripping water on it, let it wait, if you're dripping water on that spot I'd say grab some and fix it, so you're not dripping water on your subfloor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

Do you have any easy way to get a look at the subfloor? It's worth checking if you have water damage there.

But yeah, at minimum it's worth putting some temporary cover over the tile until you can fix it properly. Even just a piece of tape would do.