Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Black flecks are from using the true power. I think he used it to free himself from Semirage so it might be part of that but it’s probably both.

Doesn’t the DO directly control the True Power? As in: choose who he grants or denies access to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

He's linked to Moridin

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
It's also entirely possible the Dark One permitted Rand to use the True Power. Hoped it would contribute to his corruption.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The order of things was:

Rand goes to meet "Tuon", it's actually Semirhage, she fireballs his hand, Nynaeve heals him with the aforementioned conversation about his eyes (maybe saa from Moridin? or maybe just an aftereffect of him getting hosed up by a fireball at close range)
Semirhage is captured
Semirhage gets free, captures Rand, he true power balefires and thus begins the dark rand period

So no, can't be his own saa at that first one.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I thought he accessed it in a previous book but I can’t remember for sure.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It says him and LTT both reached for the source at the same time and jostled each other aside.

Semirhage flings the fireball but he can‘t dodge because Min is right behind him so he flings his arm up while still struggling for the source then the world explodes in flame.

“His cheek was pressed against the damp ground, he realized. Black flecks shimmered in his vision, and everything seemed faintly hazy, as if seen through water. Where was he? What had happened? His head felt stuffed with wool.”

It mentions the black flecks twice and his vision being hosed up twice I assumed he had seized the true power and shielded himself somehow..

Hexel fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 18, 2022

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spek posted:

It's also entirely possible the Dark One permitted Rand to use the True Power. Hoped it would contribute to his corruption.

The dark one doesn't have a choice about it, because the dark one is an illusion. Rand must be able to access the true power because otherwise he can't make the choice. The dark one cannot unmake itself, and that is its desired outcome, a world where it does not exist because free will does not exist.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hexel posted:

So Rand just lost his hand to Semirhage and Nynaeve is delving him and she says there’s something wrong with his eyes:

“There’s something wrong with your eyes,” she said with a frown. “I’m afraid to try fixing that without studying on it. The smallest mistake could blind you. How well can you see? How many fingers am I holding up?”
“Two. I can see fine,” he lied. The black flecks were gone, but everything still seemed seen through water”

What is this business about black flecks? Does he have saa from the Moridin merge?

Yes.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Gully Foyle posted:

People were freaking out because matches were invented later on in-book by Aludra (the ex-Illuminator that Mat rescues, who gave him the fireworks that he used to blow his way into the Stone) - Tam should not have had matches, especially out in the boonies.

Of all the things to get mad about, it's a very minor thing, but those kinds of fans tend not to react quietly.

Is the show even going to include the "wacky good guy stumbles into inventing guns" storyline? I feel like modern audiences are a lot less likely to connote guns with either wacky or good than a white Southerner was 30 years ago. If they're cutting the gunpowder thing then it doesn't matter whether Tam has matches or not.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’d be very disappointed if it got dropped. Most of the story is Mat having an unhealthy relationship with fireworks.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Is the show even going to include the "wacky good guy stumbles into inventing guns" storyline? I feel like modern audiences are a lot less likely to connote guns with either wacky or good than a white Southerner was 30 years ago. If they're cutting the gunpowder thing then it doesn't matter whether Tam has matches or not.

As opposed to what? The battlefield remaining dominated by the special few with massive inborn superior powers? Eh, I don't think "clever good guy without magic weaponizes fireworks to fight wizards and monsters" will play an inch worse with modern audiences than it would have in the 1990s.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Even though Mat and Aludra are super happy about blowing poo poo up there's several characters that point out that the weaponization of gunpowder is going to cause a lot of misery down the road. Birgitte specifically. And Aviendha's future vision in part shows how grim things will be when the Seanchan empire gets its hands on it. I think it's actually a clever piece of the story, while it's cool to see a premodern society industrialize and mow down hordes of Trollocs with grape shot this innovation is setting up the wars of the ages to come.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

CainsDescendant posted:

Even though Mat and Aludra are super happy about blowing poo poo up there's several characters that point out that the weaponization of gunpowder is going to cause a lot of misery down the road. Birgitte specifically. And Aviendha's future vision in part shows how grim things will be when the Seanchan empire gets its hands on it. I think it's actually a clever piece of the story, while it's cool to see a premodern society industrialize and mow down hordes of Trollocs with grape shot this innovation is setting up the wars of the ages to come.

That's definitely true. But it's just one of a long list of "this development to win the war against the Shadow will probably cause misery of its own in the age of human problems to come" developments. It's well behind Dumai's Wells and literally any compromise with the Seanchan on that front.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I.... don't think this will be an issue.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

gently caress it just give Mat howitzers and a minigun :shrug:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
It's an interesting aspect of the story and forms part of the worldbuilding, the ending of an age/lost knowledge and technology being rediscovered but new things also emerging/etc. which is one of the things that sets WoT apart from a lot of fantasy it seems to me. I don't expect the show to touch it though.

Speaking of which, this is probably an age-old argument but it came up on Nerdy Wordy book club recently; how did the explosion from Matt's bundle of fireworks manage to damage the Stone, which I think we're told was built using the Power and designed to withstand attacks with the Power?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

El Grillo posted:

It's an interesting aspect of the story and forms part of the worldbuilding, the ending of an age/lost knowledge and technology being rediscovered but new things also emerging/etc. which is one of the things that sets WoT apart from a lot of fantasy it seems to me. I don't expect the show to touch it though.

Speaking of which, this is probably an age-old argument but it came up on Nerdy Wordy book club recently; how did the explosion from Matt's bundle of fireworks manage to damage the Stone, which I think we're told was built using the Power and designed to withstand attacks with the Power?

It wasn't really designed to withstand attacks from the power iirc, just that it was built so well and strong that no army could take it.

The only thing the power can't do anything to is heartstone.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It was also a big bundle of fireworks jammed inside a little arrow slit where it could transfer the maximum amount of force into the fortifications, and all it did there was enlarge it so that a person could fit through it. Good chance that they'd have done absolutely nothing if they'd just been piled up against the wall somewhere.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hexel posted:

gently caress it just give Mat howitzers and a minigun :shrug:

No, give Nynaeve a gun. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

She's shot her braid off!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

She's shot her braid off!

I think you mean shot everyone and then healed them and then cursed them out for getting shot.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

No, give Nynaeve a gun. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Unsurprisingly, there's a meme for that :laugh:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

rocketrobot posted:

I think you mean shot everyone and then healed them and then cursed them out for getting shot.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, imagine if she'd just brought one of Aludra's firearms with her to the final confrontation with the dark one and she just shot the forsaken Rand was facing off against.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lmao at Loial's :biotruths: wedding

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's a pretty biotruths series, which is fine as long as you can accept the premise.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Least he’s not real preachey about it and at least men are the corrupted ones.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

What I like about the whole "guns vs. magic" thing is that it, like much else in WoT, ends up being cyclical. It's strongly implied that the First Age (our own, with Mosk vs Merc, Anla the Wise Councillor and the like) ended with the discovery of magic and channelling becoming the dominant power. And in the books, the Third Age ends with technology on the rise and magic in decline, reversing that switch. After all, it isn't Damane that bring down the Aiel in Aviendha's future...it's Rakenriders with guns.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They have been basically weeding out channeling in men and women for centuries so that would make sense.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

jng2058 posted:

What I like about the whole "guns vs. magic" thing is that it, like much else in WoT, ends up being cyclical. It's strongly implied that the First Age (our own, with Mosk vs Merc, Anla the Wise Councillor and the like) ended with the discovery of magic and channelling becoming the dominant power. And in the books, the Third Age ends with technology on the rise and magic in decline, reversing that switch. After all, it isn't Damane that bring down the Aiel in Aviendha's future...it's Rakenriders with guns.

The really amazing thing is that even a thread about WOT winds up being cyclical.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The really amazing thing is that even a thread about WOT winds up being cyclical.

It wasn't the beginning of the thread, but it was a beginning.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Don't forget about the train!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Invalid Validation posted:

They have been basically weeding out channeling in men and women for centuries so that would make sense.

The main point of view organization has been weeding them out. But even up until the very end the Aiel were still sending dudes into the Blight if they found out they could channel. The Black Tower got as big as it did because now there was someone around to test them and teach them if they wanted so there will be a lot more male channelers in the near future. The Windfinders and the Aiel finding every single woman who could channel showed just how dumb the Aes Sedai were about that.

I saw it as more of a balance type thing, with magic or tech alternately dominating and sometimes being used together. The next age would have a bit of both, and then it would decline at the end.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The flood of novices to Salidar when Egwene expanded the testing criteria pretty explicitly counters that one Aes Sedai's culling theory, I think. It's not that the ability wasn't there in the wider population, it's that the White Tower's recruitment policies were atrocious.

Probably intentionally atrocious, tbh. Much easier to keep a smaller, more selected group under the Shadow's thumb.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

seaborgium posted:

The main point of view organization has been weeding them out. But even up until the very end the Aiel were still sending dudes into the Blight if they found out they could channel. The Black Tower got as big as it did because now there was someone around to test them and teach them if they wanted so there will be a lot more male channelers in the near future. The Windfinders and the Aiel finding every single woman who could channel showed just how dumb the Aes Sedai were about that.

I saw it as more of a balance type thing, with magic or tech alternately dominating and sometimes being used together. The next age would have a bit of both, and then it would decline at the end.

Yeah, that makes sense to me. First Age (Now) = All Tech. Second Age (AoL) = Tech + Magic, Tech in decline. Third Age (Books) = All Magic. Fourth Age (After the Books) = Magic + Tech, Magic in decline. Fifth Age (New First Age?) = All Tech. Etc, etc, etc. I think it works.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You forgot dinosaurs

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You forgot dinosaurs

They evolved out Raken and other Seanchan lizard monsters, obviously. :colbert:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You forgot dinosaurs

Lies by the dark one

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm guessing the 6th age is Elan actually winning and killing off humanity, then the 7th is reevolving via dinosaurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm guessing the 6th age is Elan actually winning and killing off humanity, then the 7th is reevolving via dinosaurs

I have won again, Lews Therin.