Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta. the only ones on the left who are saying that are the older generations of hardline lefties or weird hardline tankies who are mostly online and have no real power outside grift and indie mags. also support for ukraine is broudly popular in the wets outside the fringes.

I don't disagree with you.

But western "centre-left" parties are failing to meet domestic challenges and have made room for extreme far right nationalist groups that are gaining in popularity. Nowhere is this more evident than in the United States where the GOP is shoring up their electoral advantages in all the states they control while expanding their influence in blue states that are scared of losing their creature comforts or demoralized by lack of action from the Democratic party to pass some key legislation they were promised.

This combination of malaise from the "left" and the right gaining on them from this perception that the economy is weak (Nevermind that unemployment is the lowest it's been in a decade). Means that a lot of right wing parties are going to surge back unless something new happens.

We are still coasting on the achievements of FDR, Kennedy, LBJ and of cold war era European leaders like Willy Brandt or Clement Atlee. Underneath that historical inertia there is a rotting civil service, a growing incompetence in many of the "strongest" western governments and a general lack of direction and malaise that only right wing parties have tried to redress using white nationalist grievances given any other alternative solution has been suppressed by the very same left wing parties that were supposed to represent their constituents. Behind every fascist state is a failed revolution or political reform. I see that here and I fear for our future and Ukraine's future. I think Russia is betting on this political instability to eventually let them seize control of Ukraine as we start fighting amongst ourselves internally despite widespread public support.

I think outside of Russia's neighbors a lot of western countries are going to start thinking Ukraine is not-their-problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

alex314 posted:

27 dudes lying in waiting with prepared defenses and ATGMs could do a number on some of those. So on the optimistic side they could lie in ambush, pop all available anti-tank weapons, and GTFO in the confusion. No point in trying to martyr themselves throwing grenades or petrol bombs on the supported armored vehicles.

Exactly. Minimize casualties while inflicting the maximum amount of damage, then loving off to fight another day. Repeat. Ukrainian units know that forcing a "decisive battle" to completely destroy the enemy is a waste, unless absolutely necessary is a waste.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kraftwerk posted:

I fear that by 2023

.....have you looked at a calendar lately? One way or another it's going to be over well before then. This isn't the type of fight where Ukraine decides to just take 4 months off in the middle of it and the Russians sit around with their dick in their hands. It's going to go relatively hard until one side breaks, and it's likely to happen in the next month. Two at the outside. 2023 might as well be 3033 for all the relevance it has.

e: Hell one more to make the point:

Kraftwerk posted:

I think Russia is betting on this political instability to eventually let them seize control of Ukraine as we start fighting amongst ourselves internally despite widespread public support.

They already made that bet and failed. They aren't physically going to be equipped to take another shot on anyone for....maybe a decade?

You aren't grasping what is happening in front of you. Russia is loving up harder than any so called modern army has. Not "since <blank>", ever. You are witnessing history. Stupid, pointlessly cruel history.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 18, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

She got out to our family, we buried grandmother last week, she did not make it, aunt is alright

People that were with her that buried their neighbours in the yard dont like Russians anymore either

Condolences on your granny passing away.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I wonder how much of this shift to different air assets can be attributed to certain payloads, vs perhaps trying to rotate maintenance wear over multiple airframes. Do they really need the capabilities of the Tu-22m to bomb Azovstal? I don't think they will run out of airframes but it brings up the question if they are trying to reserve some capacity of their fighter/bomber craft for the future.
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1516065571086950411
:nms: Interesting language in the video "wtf are you doing?" Whoever leaked this video/pictures is going out a window pretty soon.
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1515962198488625152
:hmmyes:
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1516072901874786308

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kraftwerk posted:

I don't disagree with you.

But western "centre-left" parties are failing to meet domestic challenges and have made room for extreme far right nationalist groups that are gaining in popularity. Nowhere is this more evident than in the United States where the GOP is shoring up their electoral advantages in all the states they control while expanding their influence in blue states that are scared of losing their creature comforts or demoralized by lack of action from the Democratic party to pass some key legislation they were promised.

This combination of malaise from the "left" and the right gaining on them from this perception that the economy is weak (Nevermind that unemployment is the lowest it's been in a decade). Means that a lot of right wing parties are going to surge back unless something new happens.

We are still coasting on the achievements of FDR, Kennedy, LBJ and of cold war era European leaders like Willy Brandt or Clement Atlee. Underneath that historical inertia there is a rotting civil service, a growing incompetence in many of the "strongest" western governments and a general lack of direction and malaise that only right wing parties have tried to redress using white nationalist grievances given any other alternative solution has been suppressed by the very same left wing parties that were supposed to represent their constituents. Behind every fascist state is a failed revolution or political reform. I see that here and I fear for our future and Ukraine's future. I think Russia is betting on this political instability to eventually let them seize control of Ukraine as we start fighting amongst ourselves internally despite widespread public support.

I think outside of Russia's neighbors a lot of western countries are going to start thinking Ukraine is not-their-problem.

i don't disagree with any of that, though i am mixed how much various strains of right have when they go full mask off like they have been and doing big dumb over reaches/catching cars leading to possible backfires. that being said its for another thread. personally i think russias military will be very very hosed up long before US midterms(which are still more then half a year away as bad as they look/are) much less 2023/24 and i think macron will probably fight off la pen one last time. i still have some faith for the future at least i guess.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 18, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

She got out to our family, we buried grandmother last week, she did not make it, aunt is alright

People that were with her that buried their neighbours in the yard dont like Russians anymore either

Соболезную.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

I wonder how much of this shift to different air assets can be attributed to certain payloads, vs perhaps trying to rotate maintenance wear over multiple airframes. Do they really need the capabilities of the Tu-22m to bomb Azovstal? I don't think they will run out of airframes but it brings up the question if they are trying to reserve some capacity of their fighter/bomber craft for the future.

They don’t have a “medium bomber” airframe on service. Talking out of my rear end completely, it might be a bad idea to strap 3000kg barrel bomb to a shiny fighter-bomber, if that is possible at all even.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1516014022981824519?s=20&t=q32WzIbHiybVtkNNvPN-vg

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1516040128682242053?s=20&t=q32WzIbHiybVtkNNvPN-vg

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1516027947735568390?s=20&t=q32WzIbHiybVtkNNvPN-vg

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1516010549422743552?s=20&t=q32WzIbHiybVtkNNvPN-vg

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1516076642900320260?s=20&t=q32WzIbHiybVtkNNvPN-vg

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dpatrikarakos/status/1516021964414271494

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They don’t have a “medium bomber” airframe on service. Talking out of my rear end completely, it might be a bad idea to strap 3000kg barrel bomb to a shiny fighter-bomber, if that is possible at all even.

I mean, it is not exactly crazy that a strategic bomber would get used to conduct tactical strikes. Both the American B52 and B1 were used extensively in Afghanistan, which was a COIN operation and not even a near peer state level conflict.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Tu-22M3 is a medium bomber, not a strategic one.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Gervasius posted:

Also given how the paradigm has shifted its probably inaccurate to label any russian bomber platform as strategic at this point.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/NathnGreenfield/status/1515650133676937221

A pretty interesting write up on imperialism in Russian popular culture, particularly SciFi.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Gervasius posted:

The Backfire (TU-22M3) is a long-strategic bomber.

Perhaps you're thinking of the SU-22, which is an updated SU-17, which is a flighter-bomber.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

ZombieLenin posted:

I mean, it is not exactly crazy that a strategic bomber would get used to conduct tactical strikes. Both the American B52 and B1 were used extensively in Afghanistan, which was a COIN operation and not even a near peer state level conflict.

That's because they're dropping the same PGMs as an F-15/16/18/etc. just with larger payloads and better ability to loiter and no threat of being shot down. Their employment changes COIN vs LSCO and is heavily reliant on suppressing air defenses, which is why we've seen so few of them in Ukraine.

Gervasius posted:

This is pedantic, but it is by definition a strategic bomber, not a medium bomber like the F-111 or Su-24.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

I agree with most everything you wrote, but economic worries are quite legitimate. I live in Canada which I think just reached record-low levels of unemployment, which is great. But so, so much of the population is up their eyeballs in debt. Inflation and the rising interest rates to combat it can really do quite a lot of damage. And of course housing prices are absolutely wild. I agree right wing parties will be able to take advantage of this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gervasius posted:

It’s a heavy bomber in Russian classification.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Winks posted:

That's because they're dropping the same PGMs as an F-15/16/18/etc. just with larger payloads and better ability to loiter and no threat of being shot down. Their employment changes COIN vs LSCO and is heavily reliant on suppressing air defenses, which is why we've seen so few of them in Ukraine.

True. I guess I am just pointing out that it is not exactly "unheard of" for a strategic bomber to be used to conduct non-strategic tactical strikes, or even close air support. The vibe I was getting was that some people thought that the usage of this class of bomber aircraft in these roles is some crazy thing only the stupid and desperate Russians might do.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Mikojan posted:

Carlin is ok when it comes to his historical podcasts. A bit overly dramatic but entertaining. That shtick just doesn't transfer over well to his casts about actual events.

Carlin shines on taking the time to really make you feel how awful poo poo was. It’s definitely dramatic, but he gives you a feel for the horror of war by taking time to explain how loving awful poo poo was.

It’s the difference between reading “50,000 people died in this World War I battle on this day” and hearing someone tell you what the conditions were, what that really means, how the combatants (mostly teenagers or men in their twenties) were gassed, how they dove into trenches and the water in those trenches had mustard gas had dissolved into them so they still died excruciatingly, etc.

I can definitely see that style not transferring well to current events — though we arguably need all the people we can explaining the horror of Bucha as loudly as they can.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
ukraine possibly sounding the alarm. might be heading toward the make-or-break moment.

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1516081497933074434

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Concerned Citizen posted:

ukraine possibly sounding the alarm. might be heading toward the make-or-break moment.

That thread sounds very chicken little.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

Nah, it will take a while yet before the Russian military breaks.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Weird: there is a death notice for a captain of a Russian LST.... Not the one that sunk.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Abner Assington posted:

Nice to see Russia's flagship is the equivalent of an '87 IROC-Z Camaro on cylinder blocks.

Ricky and Julian are taking over the Donbas to start a weed farm where Lahey won't find it.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
How do people keep getting fischmeched by obviously bad faith poster? Ignore and move on ffs.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Weird: there is a death notice for a captain of a Russian LST.... Not the one that sunk.

Maybe from the other one that appeared to get lightly damaged? Or perhaps he just did the right thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Mulva posted:

.....have you looked at a calendar lately? One way or another it's going to be over well before then. This isn't the type of fight where Ukraine decides to just take 4 months off in the middle of it and the Russians sit around with their dick in their hands. It's going to go relatively hard until one side breaks, and it's likely to happen in the next month. Two at the outside. 2023 might as well be 3033 for all the relevance it has.

e: Hell one more to make the point:

They already made that bet and failed. They aren't physically going to be equipped to take another shot on anyone for....maybe a decade?

You aren't grasping what is happening in front of you. Russia is loving up harder than any so called modern army has. Not "since <blank>", ever. You are witnessing history. Stupid, pointlessly cruel history.

I'm not so sure about this take. Suppose the Russian offensive does takes Ukraine, I would imagine there would be a long period of underground resistance after similar to what happened in Afghanistan unless extreme Russian terror tactics can suppress the population, which would still take a prolonged period of time. On the contrary if Russian military does fail, I don't see Russia publicly backing off on this barring a regime collapse and a long period of no official peace is still on the table. Maybe it won't make daily news but I don't think it'll be over by a long shot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KillHour posted:

Ricky and Julian are taking over the Donbas to start a weed farm where Lahey won't find it.

With all due respect, the Boys were always far more organized and displayed better judgement than the Russians have during this invasion. gently caress, Cory and Trevor could've planned a better invasion.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

WarpedLichen posted:

Suppose the Russian offensive does takes Ukraine

With loving what, several hundred thousand well trained and supplied troops they've been hiding behind their couch? War isn't magic, they physically do not have enough troops to hold all of Ukraine. Ukraine isn't committing to large scale engagements where Russia can meaningfully hurt them in one go. They are bleeding Russia under the belief that Russia can not reform and resupply. Everything to date shows that to be true. There is no realistic option left where Russia "wins". It's going to be bad, tens of thousands of people are still going to die, but short of a miracle [And hey, the total incompetence of Russia to date was a miracle for Ukraine, so they do happen] Russia is not going to regain the upper hand. It's just a question of how much they are willing to spend to lose what they now hold.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've known Russian colonels and generals that were smarter than Corey and Trevor.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Ola posted:

Or perhaps he just did the right thing.

Nah, suicide is never the right thing to do.

Someone with that rank acting as a saboteur or informant could do much more damage alive than dead. Ramming his ship into another Russian warship would be the right thing to do

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Mulva posted:

It's just a question of how much they are willing to spend to lose what they now hold.

I think that's the key point there, I don't think there's a reasonable limit to this number until Putin gets forced out.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Flying-PCP posted:

The idea is that the current most powerful empire getting weaker, and not getting stronger, is generally the best thing for the world overall regardless of context and who has to eat poo poo in the process. I definitely don't agree with that level of reductionism but it's not some hidden agenda that you're exposing or whatever.

No one thinks it's a hidden agenda, in fact the one giving it to much gravitas is you here. It's far more childish and stuffed with cognitive dissonance than this.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Mulva posted:

[And hey, the total incompetence of Russia to date was a miracle for Ukraine, so they do happen]

The total incompetence of the Russian military was a miracle, but the war was lost when it was begun. Russia simply did not have enough troops to occupy all of Ukraine. Its qualitative issues have been compounding that problem, as it loses troops. We've been downgrading what it can achieve with the resources available since:

1) Russia does not have enough troops to occupy Ukraine long-term.
2) Russia does not have enough troops to capture the major urban areas.
3) Russia does not have enough troops to defeat the Ukrainian army in the field.

4) Russia does not have enough troops to defend against Ukrainian counter-attacks. <-- We are now working this out.

There's more granular levels of 4, of course: retaking Kherson is different than pushing into the DNLR, and from there Crimea.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 18, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I wonder if the promotion to Guards unit brings any extra benefits? Golden cope cages?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Nenonen posted:

I wonder if the promotion to Guards unit brings any extra benefits? Golden cope cages?

100,000 free air miles on Aeroflot flights within the country. Please, fly with us!*

*not responsible for plane falling out of sky due to sanctions

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Winks posted:

This is pedantic, but it is by definition a strategic bomber, not a medium bomber like the F-111 or Su-24.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s a heavy bomber in Russian classification.

marxismftw posted:

The Backfire (TU-22M3) is a long-strategic bomber.

Tu-22M3 lacks range to be truly strategic weapon, it does have bigger bombload than fighter-bombers, but it was never meant to hit strategic targets. Tu-95 and Tu-160s are used for that purpose, 22M3 is basically intermediate-range bomber intended to hunt US carrier groups and lob cruise missiles into Europe. But for truly strategic work, carrying packets of instant sunshine to Washington DC, that's what Bears and Blackjacks are for.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

They get to feel honored by the connection to WWII vets who earned the Guards designation and whose memory they are presently disgracing, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://english.pravda.ru/amp/news/hotspots/151208-moscow_banker/
‘A double murder and suicide took place in Moscow on April 18, 2022. According to preliminary information, former Vice President of Gazprombank, Vladislav Avaev, shot his wife and daughter before committing suicide.’

Lots of purging going on

The future of warfare, Tiktok livestreams from your favourite squad

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 18, 2022