Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they were introduced as Megumi's Supporting Cast as Yuji has yet to meet them.

If we're getting picky like that, they're Yuta's supporting cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A slight preview of the upcoming Chapter namely the Cover page. No actual spoilers it just looks cool.

Edit: I was about to say that Uro looked off for some reason and just realized why. It's because her hair is not floating.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Early version of Chapter https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/1835/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-181

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Yuta, being the classic shonen protagonist, has heard so many of the same old "you will never become blah blah blah" lectures from those he's defeated that he's spacing out the moment the lecture begins

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

Yuta, being the classic shonen protagonist, has heard so many of the same old "you will never become blah blah blah" lectures from those he's defeated that he's spacing out the moment the lecture begins

Should note the first page with Sukuna is being told by Uro. Ishigori does not start speaking till the next page.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 15, 2022

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Should note the first page with Sukuna is being told by Uro. Ishigori does not start speaking till then the next page.

I've become a speedreader without even noticing it. :doh:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Miwa looking ominous...:ohdear:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Viz Release.
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-181/chapter/24261?action=read

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I've just been sitting back and enjoying the ride at this point cause every chapter is great and every new culling game player is endlessly entertaining. This is probly the best tournament arc I've ever read.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

I've just been sitting back and enjoying the ride at this point cause every chapter is great and every new culling game player is endlessly entertaining. This is probly the best tournament arc I've ever read.

It's kind of hard to consider it a Tournament Arc.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It doesn't have the traditional structure of one but to me it hits enough of the same beats in new ways to qualify.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like other then having rules, it does not at all seem like a Tournament Arc. The Goodwill Event was closer and even it was not really one.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
To me it just feels like a regular survival-game arc like the hunter exam, greed island or the chounin exam (lol autocorrect tried to turn that into 'chunni'). Rules designed to throw opponents together and encourage conflict, with enough edge-cases to allow mercy like we're seeing here and for some weaker-but-interesting characters to struggle through if they have to. But like absolutely a great one for sure, all the new characters have been great fun, especially the lawyer and comedian.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Pierson posted:

To me it just feels like a regular survival-game arc like the hunter exam, greed island or the chounin exam (lol autocorrect tried to turn that into 'chunni'). Rules designed to throw opponents together and encourage conflict, with enough edge-cases to allow mercy like we're seeing here and for some weaker-but-interesting characters to struggle through if they have to. But like absolutely a great one for sure, all the new characters have been great fun, especially the lawyer and comedian.

The ones you listed are literally tournament arcs my dude. The chunnin exam even has a 1v1 lot draw format for two different parts of it

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Lol you're right I entirely forgot the back halves of those all became tournaments. That's my bias though because survival games are more interesting than tournaments and I'll die on that hill. :colbert:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Praying for 100 chapters without Nobara.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
She will return. I know it in my heart.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Praying for 100 chapters without Nobara.

You loved "Permanent Nobara". Now get ready for "Permanent No Nobara"!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Nobara owns and her return is going to be incredibly hype.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pierson posted:

Lol you're right I entirely forgot the back halves of those all became tournaments. That's my bias though because survival games are more interesting than tournaments and I'll die on that hill. :colbert:

Greed Island never became a Tournament.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This is 100% a tournament arc, but unlike some modern Shonen it is actually doing interesting and different things with it. Shonen is all about recycling basic plot structures, it's just a question of how compelling the mechanics of your world and characters are. Same with Sakamoto Days, the actual plot structure isn't surprising or new, but its crafting fun situations within those tropes. JJK is very good at stretching and finding fun ways to use those devices.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
For how I define tournament arcs encounters are strictly speaking 1v1 or team v team engagements with a clear ruleset on who progresses to the next round with the goal being one person/group ultimately winning. While upsets can happen and the tournament can outright be interrupted, the culling game doesn't follow this idea. There are several asymmetrical encounters with Yuta vs Ryu/Ura being the 3rd so team sizes are dynamic and situational. I'd say it's closer in structure to a battle royale with the barriers confining players to a fixed location and the 19 day serving in place of the usual reduction in arena size that compels player player interaction under penalty of death. But we've had several characters point out that the culling game's purpose isn't along the lines of making a singularly strong sorcerer as Reggie and Kenjaku's appearance before chinese officials hints at a "bomb" he plans to interject to the game. And the ability to add rules just completely invalidated the 19 day rule even though Higuruma already surmised that the culling game encourages longevity.

I'd just as soon call it a free-for-all and leave it at that. The duels we wind up getting are by circumstance not design.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it feels like a battle royale to me

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This is 100% a tournament arc, but unlike some modern Shonen it is actually doing interesting and different things with it. Shonen is all about recycling basic plot structures, it's just a question of how compelling the mechanics of your world and characters are. Same with Sakamoto Days, the actual plot structure isn't surprising or new, but its crafting fun situations within those tropes. JJK is very good at stretching and finding fun ways to use those devices.

I don't consider a Battle Royale to be a tournament. Not unless they are actual structured teams

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Ah see to me a battle royale is just a subcategory of tournament. It's the same basic principal of a lotta guys fighting up the ladder until there's only one guy. And in this case there are "teams" that we've seen like Yuji's group and Reggie's goons.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Shounen manga are just setups to allow for fighting to happen. Go to a place, do a mission, fight some guys, etc. I think "tournament arcs" are clear distinctions in the normal formula because there has to be some greater set of rules applied over the normal logic of the universe.

I think this fits that definition, even if it lands in a subcategory of tournament arc. The manga has contrived a way for a bunch of sorcerers to fight instead of the normal sorcerer vs curse mechanic.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't consider a Battle Royale to be a tournament. Not unless they are actual structured teams

It's still a situation where a lot of folks are thrown together with a set of constrained rules to push them towards eliminations of other competitors. JJK making it more interesting than a draw or standard tournament structure doesn't really take away, for me, that it's the goal of the setup to accomplish the same things here for the story that the Budokai does in DB (introduce new characters to allow for fresh fighting, and push us to the fight with a big bad). I feel like the our author deserves a lot of credit for taking the Shonen trope and presenting it in a new way to accomplish the same basic goals. He's done a great job of taking the basic pieces, and making them fresh and fun for us to go through.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I'm pretty sure I've seen this premise in a recent show I've watched. They called it a Jan Quadrant Vincent 16.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

TheHan posted:

Ah see to me a battle royale is just a subcategory of tournament. It's the same basic principal of a lotta guys fighting up the ladder until there's only one guy. And in this case there are "teams" that we've seen like Yuji's group and Reggie's goons.

I feel like "death game"/"battle royale" scenarios are significantly different from tournament arcs, and this situation is more one of those than the latter.

Possibly more importantly, they're also very common on their own (possibly even more common than tournament arcs in contemporary manga), so I don't think it really makes sense to consider them just a sub-category of tournaments. The death game/battle royale scenario also allows for alliances and group dynamics and stuff beyond just arranged fights (and there's usually a larger "meta-fight" against whoever created the battle royale in the first place).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

plenty of shonen have arcs that flex between battle royale and more codified tournament setups, like the already mentioned Chunin Exam and pre-tournament battle royales in Togashi's works or Kengan Ashura. DBZ also threw a BR round into the Buu Saga Tenkaichi iirc.

like i get that they're different enough on some terms to make a distinction but this also feels like splitting hairs. in JJK's case it basically serves the same purpose.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dogsicle posted:

plenty of shonen have arcs that flex between battle royale and more codified tournament setups, like the already mentioned Chunin Exam and pre-tournament battle royales in Togashi's works or Kengan Ashura. DBZ also threw a BR round into the Buu Saga Tenkaichi iirc.

like i get that they're different enough on some terms to make a distinction but this also feels like splitting hairs. in JJK's case it basically serves the same purpose.

Chunin Exam had Teams, and Battle Royales are common as preliminary elimination stuff.

The Culling Game is just a Free for All over 10 Cities, with points earned on murder. (Though Points can now be traded so the dynamic should shift now)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yep this is the hair splitting

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I'm willing to go full youtuber and monologue about how the saiyan saga was one big tournament.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Early Chapter
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/2197/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-182

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

:allears: I really like Hakari.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

:allears: I really like Hakari.

Charles is pretty fun too. The hands in pockets exchange was fun.

Also congrats to Hakari for being one the four Modern Sorcerers with a Domain we have seen so far.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched the anime season through twice with different pals so decided to start reading the manga a few weeks ago. I read through the flashback and Shibuya arcs and a little bit into culling game. I decided to go back to the start of the Gojo flashback during the week and read it through a bit more slowly to sort out some fiddly bits I read too fast or forgot a detail from early on in the arc that showed up later. I think one of the things I've come to like most about Gege(?) is that they're totally happy not to explain stuff when it appears in the story or even have someone explain it directly and just allow you to work out for yourself. Despite Itadori being a fish out of water they don't end up leaning too heavily on him for exposition after the early going.

I loved the flashback arc and especially Toji as an antagonist. Toji's whole set up and payoff for Zen'in, Maki, and Megumi is all really nicely done. I also like how long he echoes through stuff even when he's gone, like that one Zen'in heir thinking he'd be some wimp and then being totally overwhelmed by his presence.

I always like Geto because he's hot and therefore of perfect moral character and the flashback with him was handled really well I thought. However the reveal mid-Shibuya that he's not actually the Geto we've been shown was a bit fail and one of the things I've not been that keen on. Krangjaku is a neat idea especially with the Noritoshi Kamo stuff from earlier but it really felt like it threw out all the great character stuff I'd gotten leading up to it. His Curse Instrumentality Project or whatever carry-on he's up to is also just way less engaging to me than the true Geto motivations and plan. Hoping we get Geto back but I suspect it would only be in some final battle scenario where his body helps the heroes win.

Early on I also had some worries that Sukuna would feel less dangerous and more like a grumpy antihero type. Him laughing hysterically at Itadori during the Junpei stuff dispelled that mostly and Shibuya obliterated it. Truly insane to see his domain just level multiple city blocks. Also very curious what his technique actually is.

Nanami and Nobara stuff hurt me deeply. Nanami especially was my boy.

I had to go back and check if I missed a chapter though between when Kenjaku/Geto releases all the spirits an activates all his sleeper curses because then the next chapter seemed to be weeks later with Yuta hunting Itadori and Shibuya being The Zone. I guess curses are common knowledge now. I reread the page of random political dialogue boxes as I guess it was way more important than I realised at first blush.

To return to the writing specifically I've really come around to liking how Gege slowly explains stuff or leaves a lot to inference after initially thinking he was doing a bad job at expositing. Stuff like only revealing how Megumi's Shikigami works when you finally find out what his kamikaze move. It fits with the scraps of information we'd gotten before but it had never been clear to me why he couldn't currently use his 10 summons or what he meant by only having tamed the elephant recently.

I had misunderstood Choso seeing Itadori as a brother as a psychological attack by Geto's twins at first but on my reread I had the foreknowledge of seeing Itadori's mother as Kenjaku so I was able to figure out this time oh they're half brothers actually. Well I think Kenjaku was more of a midwife to the curse paintings iirc, but still!

I did also like piecing together the gap between the final face-off with Kenjaku at the end of the arc and the cut to the next arc feeling disorienting once I realised what was happening.

I think other times it's a bit of a failing though. I think Naobito(?) Zen'in's 24 frames ability is a bit too vaguely explained and requires a lot of inferring. I understand it clearly now but it definitely took some going over and assumptions about certain parts of the explanation. Also I understand how the barriers are set up in Shibuya after carefully rereading the arc but I think at the time there could have been some better diagrams showing the stations and how the barriers intersect.

Maybe parts of this (almost certainly) are on me being bad with visualising spaces though.

I'm looking forward to getting to the culling game again, I'm currently just about to get to Nobara being killed. The culling game set up I found quite odd and not sure if I love the direction the manga is going post Shibuya plot wise but I really like all the characters. The game set-up and Kenjaku being Itadori's mother (I'm guessing to prep a Sukuna vessel) are just things I don't love.

I have loved Yuta a tonne so far though even if he did beat up my husband (who would have won had he not split his forces fyi).

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Charles seems outclassed here. I hope he doesn't get taken out here but also it will feel contrived if Hakari is beaten by a fledgling curse user. Maybe circumstances will force them to ally against someone else in the coming chapters? I want to see where things go with this delusional gaijin manga otaku.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I gotta say, seems like in the world of sorcery it would be extremely obvious that you should try to avoid being touched by the obviously-sorcerous pen weapon. Though the effect, while okay, seems kind of underwhelming for something that requires cutting the enemy with a weapon in a fight. Maybe there'll be more to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I think other times it's a bit of a failing though. I think Naobito(?) Zen'in's 24 frames ability is a bit too vaguely explained and requires a lot of inferring. I understand it clearly now but it definitely took some going over and assumptions about certain parts of the explanation. Also I understand how the barriers are set up in Shibuya after carefully rereading the arc but I think at the time there could have been some better diagrams showing the stations and how the barriers intersect.
Glad you've been enjoying the series overall. One thing to note about Gege, and he's pretty open about it in his author comments at times, is that he's prone to making stuff really confusing either because he doesn't stick the landing on execution or he didn't fully understand something related to the ability during it's inception. Like how he kind of lucked into a proper explanation for Gojo's infinity but it's still kind of sus.

Lamebot posted:

Charles seems outclassed here. I hope he doesn't get taken out here but also it will feel contrived if Hakari is beaten by a fledgling curse user. Maybe circumstances will force them to ally against someone else in the coming chapters? I want to see where things go with this delusional gaijin manga otaku.

I don't see Hakari losing in the traditional sense purely because Charles isn't the kind of opponent I see taking down someone that Gojo himself placed in the same tier as Yuta. And Yuta himself has said that when Hakari is in the groove he's stronger than him. What I think will happen is that Charles will ignite hakari's fever and they will become bros. Then we switch to Panda who really needs some TLC from the story since he's barely in it.