Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

KungFu Grip posted:

think she just retired because of health issues??? her an delirious obviously broke up at some point, dont remember if it was before that or after she left wrestling.

edit: someone on reddit said she came out about having an eating disorder and was a part of her retirement for health reasons

If you look at some of her later matches, she was practically a skeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

congratulations to samoa joe on being the second wrestler to win the ROH World, Pure, and Television Championships.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Samoa Jones

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

suzuki to joe is a great lineage but i wish that match didn't happen yet then. no offense to you or yours.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It was really weird to have Suzuki be a transitional champ for like a week but whatever. They probably didn't want to retain Rhett Titus and they wanted Joe's appearance at the end of SOH to be a surprise so this is how it had to go down. Regardless of all the title stuff the Joe/Suzuki match was great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

It was really weird to have Suzuki be a transitional champ for like a week but whatever. They probably didn't want to retain Rhett Titus and they wanted Joe's appearance at the end of SOH to be a surprise so this is how it had to go down. Regardless of all the title stuff the Joe/Suzuki match was great.

I think they wanted to promote a star for Supercard and a really cool match for Dynamite which made ROH seem like a big deal.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
probably werent gonna do it, but tony should have promoted every gcw suzuki match the last few days as roh title matches to make the reign look better but also whatever

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

probably werent gonna do it, but tony should have promoted every gcw suzuki match the last few days as roh title matches to make the reign look better but also whatever

yeah that could have been cool

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cavauro posted:

suzuki to joe is a great lineage but i wish that match didn't happen yet then. no offense to you or yours.

Same. I would have preferred it if Suzuki had a decent run with it, like taking it over to NJPW as a trophy from his excursion, and being this loving beast with a deathgrip on his first US title before finally being felled by Joe.

Absolute banger of a match, though.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Seems like a situation borne out of necessity.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Generico posted:

Seems like a situation borne out of necessity.
That seems to be the case for all the belts: Get them all off of freelancers who might not stick around if they get other offers before ROH gets regular content.

World - Had to settle the two belts angle with Bandido first, but Gresham is probably a lock to sign.

Tag - Briscoes likely won't be back on a Turner show, so their status would be in limbo anyway unless ROH TV gets a non-Turner network (which is possible since TK owns it independently).

Pure - Josh Woods got some Dark content so I don't know if they have any plans for him, but the title switch dovetailed perfectly with Yuta trying to get legit cred for BCC.

TV - In Suzuki's case it seemed more like he was in town that weekend, never had a US title before, and Joe needed to be an end-show surprise, so why not? TK gets a dream match, and Suzuki's likely going home soon anyway. It also gives the belt immediate cred for Joe beating a legendary murderman for it rather than an unsigned Rhett Titus.

Women - Deonna had schedule conflicts and is signed to Impact, so Interim makes sense here until they can book her (unless they do Mercedes/Deonna on Impact again).

Six-Man - They haven't mentioned anything, so maybe they're dropping them? Or maybe they'll reintroduce them as floating ROH/AEW trios belts? Though Vincent is in Impact now with the Honor No More invasion, and the other two champions, uh... just did a CYN tag match. 🤡

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
As an excuse to have Joe fight Suzuki, I have to deem the reign terrific.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Catching up to battle of the belts.

Dalton Castle seems really good. is he really good?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Dalton is really good for sure. I sometimes get bored of the stories he is involved in but the wrestling is always there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

he used to be even better when he had a functioning spine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alaois posted:

he used to be even better when he had a functioning spine

I didn't know he was on the WWE Booking team!

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Jonny Nox posted:

He's absolutely fantastic and would've been a pretty big star if he didn't have so many back related injuries and if it keeps slowly getting better (which somewhat appears to be the case) he'll get there, funny and charismatic and a unique and cool gimmick

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

He’s on the upper end of “meme wrestlers who are around Miz-tier in ring”. Very fun character.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Dalton castle is a much better wrestler than the miz. Probably even a much better sports entertainer too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I hope TK getting the Tates back as the Boys is a sign he wants Dalton around.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaz-L posted:

I don't think he'd have booked Dalton on BotB if he wasn't going to be part of ROH going forward

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

He should wrestle as Dalton Castle on ROH and "smooth sailin" Ashley Remington on AEW and absolutely nobody should ever acknowledge it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

He’s on the upper end of “meme wrestlers who are around Miz-tier in ring”. Very fun character.

Dalton catches people though

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gumball Gumption posted:

Dalton catches people though

Dalton catches people, has a jelly spine.

Miz catches nobody, is never injured.

Makes you think.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ganso Bomb posted:

Dalton catches people, has a jelly spine.

Miz catches nobody, is never injured.

Makes you think.

Yes, makes me think there's no god

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I stand by my The Miz assessment but you should be aware that I think The Miz is “pretty good”

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

NienNunb posted:

I stand by my The Miz assessment but you should be aware that I think The Miz is “pretty good”

So your original assessment is flawed, got it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sticklefifer posted:

Tag - Briscoes likely won't be back on a Turner show, so their status would be in limbo anyway unless ROH TV gets a non-Turner network (which is possible since TK owns it independently).

That seems ... strange tbh. The poo poo they said back in the day was real dumb and reprehensible, but they have very vocally, repeatedly and clearly apologized for those comments and also by all accounts made significant steps towards correcting their behaviour and becoming better people.

It feels really strange for them to get a lifetime ban from Turner channels at this point.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That seems ... strange tbh. The poo poo they said back in the day was real dumb and reprehensible, but they have very vocally, repeatedly and clearly apologized for those comments and also by all accounts made significant steps towards correcting their behaviour and becoming better people.

It feels really strange for them to get a lifetime ban from Turner channels at this point.

Do they still wear confederate flag gear? (Honest question, I don’t have a ton of exposure to them.)

I believe I heard they are expected to sign with Impact

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dacap posted:

Do they still wear confederate flag gear? (Honest question, I don’t have a ton of exposure to them.)

I believe I heard they are expected to sign with Impact
To the best of my knowledge they phased out the Confederate Flag gear in 2013-2014. The last vestige I can find any evidence of it was Jay Briscoe's custom ROH championship belt, which he carried around through spring 2014.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Supposedly it's just one Turner exec who hates them, and yeah, it's pretty weird.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

So your original assessment is flawed, got it

No it’s good

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
miz is good, daddio

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

sticklefifer posted:

Supposedly it's just one Turner exec who hates them, and yeah, it's pretty weird.

I cannot believe that story was not just a smokescreen to give TK an excuse not to sign the Briscoes for whatever reason. There is no way that a mysterious "Turner executive" is extremely online enough to know about the Briscoes' tweets from a decade ago and care enough to blacklist them despite their apologies and the people who have vocally supported them, yet not give a poo poo about Jake Hager or Jay Lethal for example. I really hope that the story was just put out there to give them a bigger pop when they do finally turn up on Dynamite (after the lights go out).

Gaz-L posted:

So those out of shape, pasty, trainee-school looking chumps from Supercard of Honor were just ring-ins were they? The difference in presentation for Castle between SoH and BotB was crazy thanks to those two guys. And are they the same Tates who had a Dark match or two way back in the pandemic days?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Saul Goode posted:

And are they the same Tates who had a Dark match or two way back in the pandemic days?

i believe someone in another thread said yes

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Saul Goode posted:

And are they the same Tates who had a Dark match or two way back in the pandemic days?

Yes. The Tates were Dalton's Boys for a couple years as they were training, then broke off to do their own thing for a while.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

MotU posted:

miz sucks eggs

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Saul Goode posted:

I cannot believe that story was not just a smokescreen to give TK an excuse not to sign the Briscoes for whatever reason. There is no way that a mysterious "Turner executive" is extremely online enough to know about the Briscoes' tweets from a decade ago and care enough to blacklist them despite their apologies and the people who have vocally supported them, yet not give a poo poo about Jake Hager or Jay Lethal for example. I really hope that the story was just put out there to give them a bigger pop when they do finally turn up on Dynamite (after the lights go out).
I work in media and I could definitely believe it; people get blackballed for far less all the time, and it's usually one executive looking at a few notes and saying "nope, next" rather than the agenda you're picturing. From a PR perspective (and I'm not saying I agree with this at all), tangible things like footage of rebel flags and bad tweets are considered far more damning to their public image than "mere" accusations, unless the latter has actual charges attached.

Media companies hire entire SEO staff to be "extremely online", so they likely ran extensive research on everyone on the roster. When Turner was bought out by WarnerMedia they moved away from their Southern image, so if the negative info that popped up about the Briscoes was "1) displays Confederate flags and 2) are vocally homophobic" - whether or not it's still true - it's flagged as bad PR.

But like I said, TK could put ROH on another network since he owns it separately. The only snag there is that until ROH gets regular TV, they're free to sign anywhere else, and seem to have already done that.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Oh yeah, I don't disagree on the main points, the thing I can't get my head around is the Briscoes setting off anyone's alarms when people who have done worse more recently have been hired (or had exposure), and this seems to be the first example of anyone being able to over-rule Tony Khan isn't it? AEW as a media entity doesn't seem to be getting policed for things on the level of confederate flags and historic homophobia that has been apologised for. If they are then anyone who worked for PWG is fuuuuuuuucked lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Saul Goode posted:

Oh yeah, I don't disagree on the main points, the thing I can't get my head around is the Briscoes setting off anyone's alarms when people who have done worse more recently have been hired (or had exposure), and this seems to be the first example of anyone being able to over-rule Tony Khan isn't it? AEW as a media entity doesn't seem to be getting policed for things on the level of confederate flags and historic homophobia that has been apologised for. If they are then anyone who worked for PWG is fuuuuuuuucked lol.

I think that Jay's shoot threat of violence probably puts it in a different category for some.