Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Worm overall worked for me, but Wildbow certainly has a ton of weaknesses. Race is the most cartoonishly obvious. It's weird that Worm clearly works to have a lot of racial (and gender and sexual) diversity in its cast, but then it's just wildly awful with it in peculiar ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was convinced he was like, deeply rural European or something since the setting was right but all the details about it were so hilariously out of touch but last time we had this chat someone said he was Canadian

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
He's Canadian, but from a super rural part of Ontario

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rob Filter posted:

Wildbow really hates drug dealers / drug users.

I remember been younger and reading the death note manga, and seeing the phrase "dangerous marijuana addict", and then the dangerous marijuana addict has a gun and is robbing banks and lmao. The official translations change this to "dangerous drug addict" because in the west "dangerous marijuana addict" pushes the bounds of credulity even for right wing anti-drug people.

Wildbow has written chapters more right wing than death note. His infamous chapter where he has a literal Nazi heroically refuse to let drug dealers / addicts sit at the crime roundtable for criminals doing crime things because dealing drugs was a step too far, and the protagonist is like "Yeah!!!" in the narration, lmao. He hasn't to my knowledge written anything quite that yikes since, but once you see his war-on-drugs politics you can't unsee them.

I think it's more "the view of a sheltered nerd child about drugs" than someone with an ideological commitment to the drug war. My views about wildbow stuff are significantly more positive than many others in this thread*, but the way the drug users are presented in Worm is almost comically bad. The scene you describe is particularly egregious. Also the Asian gang, which I remember having a hilarious name like "Azn Bad Boyz" or something.

* They're definitely not my favorite, but I think they compare favorably with most web serials, which usually are aimless and/or overly indulgent - with wildbow's stuff I at least get the feeling that the author knows where he's trying to take the story, with the exception of Ward (I think he probably knew where he wanted this to go, but kinda got lost on the way there in such a way that many earlier arcs feel pointless in the grand scheme of the plot). Other web serials frequently have a distinctly "fan-fiction-y" sort of feel to them, with characters speaking with a "contemporary real-world" voice (and often suffering from the issue of multiple characters flat-out having the same voice), and generally behaving and speaking in ways that are clearly intended to be satisfying to the reader in some sense (this is what I mean by "overly indulgent"). It'll also be clear that the author is more or less making things up as they go along (which can be fine if a series is specifically just aiming to be something like a situational comedy or romance, but frequently this isn't the case).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I don't think Wildbow had much of an idea what he wanted to do with Ward at all. I think he's mentioned developing the story for one of Victoria's buddies before deciding that Victoria should be the protagonist fairly late in the proceedings. Personally, I think he wrote Ward simply to shut down the people asking where Worm 2 was and also as a response to the general apathy towards Twig.

Worm's fun, though. I think there's a nice sense of naivety about the story. Wildbow's just kind of writing what he wants and in some of the comments on earlier chapters, he'll admit that things that quite work out how he intended or wanted them to, and he'll base whole scenes and arcs around things that are just inaccurate. But I think you do get the sense that he wanted to write something, although nothing really cohered together until, I think, sometime around the Slaughterhouse Nine arc (at the earliest) and definitely around the time of Alexandria's death (at the latest.) There's a lot to like about it, but you've really got to enjoy it as this janky story that was basically written before a live audience. I think Pact is his best story in a lot of ways and Twig was interesting. But this one-two hit of Ward and Pale? Eeesh.

It's a shame he's so satisfied with being a Reddit guy, though. I've always thought he could get published traditionally and make some big waves if he'd just take the time and energy to refurbish Worm. My time engaging with agents and publishers over the past year or so have only made that more apparent! But the worth of editing Worm is whole other discussion, and something I would've said was far more likely before Ward came into being.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Huh, so BoC is hopping on the Kindle Unlimited train afterall. I know it's a very good deal for the authors but I always feel a little conflicted about it. Makes it harder to recommend things to friends when there's an actual entry cost, and I just know I'm going to be late to the party on some excellent novel or another and simply never try it due to not having the first volume. Which are both very selfish reasons, don't get me wrong, I'm just venting a bit.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah, it's not something I subscribe to either so those stories are pretty much gone for me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infinity Gaia posted:

Huh, so BoC is hopping on the Kindle Unlimited train afterall. I know it's a very good deal for the authors but I always feel a little conflicted about it. Makes it harder to recommend things to friends when there's an actual entry cost, and I just know I'm going to be late to the party on some excellent novel or another and simply never try it due to not having the first volume. Which are both very selfish reasons, don't get me wrong, I'm just venting a bit.

Look I hate Amazon as much as the next guy but who doesn't have Amazon prime in this day and age. Or even if you somehow don't, if you read any amount of cheap books a year, KU is worth it because it's cheaper than buying even cheap books. It's great value even if you only read one a month lol. If your friends don't even read that many books they're not going to read a web novel.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Does Prime come with KU?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does Prime come with KU?

Yeah.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

So, I write a somewhat-on-the-larger-side-but-not-the-biggest webnovel.

My KU analysis suggested $100-$350k/year, probably somewhere in the middle.

That is a loving stupid amount of money. I love having my story free, but even the low end of that analysis is too high for me to justify keeping my story entirely free, when that sort of money is dangling in front of me.

I also have something of an inside track on BOC's deal, and I'd likely take it as well, even with the KU stipulation.

For everyone writing for a living, we never know when the gravy train is going to end. Tastes could change tomorrow, and half my fans just leave for something else. Then I'm stuck high and dry with no income. I'm doing KU in large part because it'll pad my savings, and help tide me over until the next thing. Reentering the workforce with a 2, 3, 5 year gap on my resume, and that long NOT practicing my relevant work skills is going to be tough.

I can't blame anyone for wanting to make a living, as much as it sucks for the readers.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does Prime come with KU?

It doesn't. Prime Reading is a separate thing from Kindle Unlimited.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sailor Dave posted:

It doesn't. Prime Reading is a separate thing from Kindle Unlimited.
This is what I thought, because I have Prime and sure would not have minded free trash on KU and probably would have noticed by now if it was free!

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

it's really hard to blame people for not wanting to be starving artists when i know so many artists who are y'know, starving.

if you make that much money you better be tipping 100% whenever you go to a coffee shop to do your work, tho

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

On the plus side, you can just buy the kindle books directly. I don't do monthly subscription services, but most of these converted web serials cost about the same as just snagging a paperback at a local bookstore. Beware of Chicken is... five bucks, to buy book 1 without any subscription service involved. Not too bad

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
If you aren't giving an author money you have no standing to complain when they aren't giving you something for free. If you are giving them money then you're almost certainly past volume 1 already (and guessing that content is available on patreon as well), so you're not losing anything.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If anything if you were a Patreon sub you should complain that new readers get to pay $5 instead of $5x10 months or whatever lol

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Selkie Myth posted:

My KU analysis suggested $100-$350k/year, probably somewhere in the middle.

Wait, what? For one book, for a series, for what exactly? That's a hell of a lot more than I was thinking.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
TUTBAD 96-

I am now more interested and invested in the plight of Bastlefolk than pretty much anything else about this world. I hope this becomes a sustained arc for Alfric because it will absolutely fit with how his life keeps going more and more off-kilter and that he's becoming more and more okay with that.

Also he is gonna make some mistakes soon with Mizuki and I am here for how it all blows up :allears:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does Prime come with KU?

no

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
mizuki must be protected at all costs

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zore posted:

TUTBAD 96-

I am now more interested and invested in the plight of Bastlefolk than pretty much anything else about this world. I hope this becomes a sustained arc for Alfric because it will absolutely fit with how his life keeps going more and more off-kilter and that he's becoming more and more okay with that.

Also he is gonna make some mistakes soon with Mizuki and I am here for how it all blows up :allears:

This is opening the biggest can of worms in existence, but the whole bastlefolk thing is actually a really good ethical dilemma. The effort involved in raising a thousand infants, for only a single person to come into existence, I totally understand why society at large just wants to ignore everything about it. And even though society seems reasonably fair in this world, there have to be poor people that could use those resources better..., maybe? Honestly I don't have an answer but it is very interesting.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Hungry posted:

Wait, what? For one book, for a series, for what exactly? That's a hell of a lot more than I was thinking.

My series. It's moderately large

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

A big flaming stink posted:

mizuki must be protected at all costs

Also Mizuki is literally my wife irl and when she speaks without thinking I lol

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Selkie Myth posted:

For everyone writing for a living, we never know when the gravy train is going to end. Tastes could change tomorrow, and half my fans just leave for something else. Then I'm stuck high and dry with no income. I'm doing KU in large part because it'll pad my savings, and help tide me over until the next thing. Reentering the workforce with a 2, 3, 5 year gap on my resume, and that long NOT practicing my relevant work skills is going to be tough.

I can't blame anyone for wanting to make a living, as much as it sucks for the readers.

Yeah, it might be that we're still in the early days of a professional web fiction boom and anyone who's established now will be fine indefinitely as the growing size of the market makes up for diminished interest in specific authors. Much more likely though is that a lot of the people who are currently making a good living writing web serials today won't be in ten years even if they keep grinding away. There's just so much uncertainty about your long-term income as an independent author that I think you'd be crazy to pass up a big paycheck unless you have a very good plan B for when writing stops paying the bills.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Peachfart posted:

This is opening the biggest can of worms in existence, but the whole bastlefolk thing is actually a really good ethical dilemma. The effort involved in raising a thousand infants, for only a single person to come into existence, I totally understand why society at large just wants to ignore everything about it. And even though society seems reasonably fair in this world, there have to be poor people that could use those resources better..., maybe? Honestly I don't have an answer but it is very interesting.

the bigger issue imo is dungeon delvers have huge incentives to engage in motivated reasoning that the products of a dungeon are always enemies to be exterminated or resources to be exploited. it makes things muuuuuuuuuuuuuch more complicated if there is the possibility that a person worthy of empathy can be created, so for the delver, they will always trend towards assuming that is not the case.

difficult to make a man understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it and all that

also from last chapter, isra talking with the bastlefolk about feeling out of place in the world had the most massive trans vibes i swear

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Zore posted:

TUTBAD 96-

The typical anti-natalist argument about suffering seems much stronger here given the success rates. IRL humans have a good chance of having a reasonably satisfying and happy life, but here the odds are horrific.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I kinda hope TUTBAD just continues to pile up things that the story could turn into being about but never actually stops being about the crew going dungeon delving once a week.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
This Used To Be About Dungeons And It Still Is

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

(TUTBAD)

Penelope watched as thirty seven babies died under her care, despite years of her best efforts and dedicating all her time to the task, and decided that this is what she's gonna do with the rest of her life. I admit, that's something that's hard for me to wrap my head around. I don't have the heart for it. I mean I generally wanna help people but talk about soul-crushing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im glad that he's successfully kept the part I liked about worth the candle alive lol. The actual adventure was never terribly interesting, it was always the consequences.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the real ethics question I think isn't what to do with the dungeons but rather whoever created the dungeons and allowed it to sometimes create sentients and sapients

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
well it wasn't joon at least, he put some effort in to his creation in the end

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think first contact is giving me mental illness btw. i love it so much.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TUTBAD

Someone on the discord pointed out that it would've been more than four years for Penelope since she's a chrononaut, and this also means she would be spending each baby's "final day" multiple times desperately trying to save them just to see them die over and over.

Christ.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

the real ethics question I think isn't what to do with the dungeons but rather whoever created the dungeons and allowed it to sometimes create sentients and sapients

How do you mean?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Even if we ignore the issues the dungeons have in implementation and the steadily escalating inequality they create, the idea of making an "eternal frontier" of targets to rob and exploit as an outlet for the rapacity of capitalism and the ambition of the young seems kinda sketch to me.

Sure, if you were trying a utopian project and you wanted people to stop stabbing each other, I can see where someone might think of making a bunch of unpeople that don't count so the real people can gang up on them. But I think a society built on the assumption that there need to be exploited victims propping it up is pretty messed up! Those fundamental values will bleed into other aspects of how people treat each other.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
basically that. the dungeons seemingly exist to provide endless resources, but since they can sometimes produce sentients who basically only exist to be murdered, it means whoever made the dungeons therefore made sentients who only exist to get murdered. it's just a variation on the age-old if god is real, he has many crimes to answer for kind of question.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah but the editors explicitly aren't omnipotent and can't just make whatever changes they want, so I don't think going all Problem of Evil makes sense here.

In story, dungeons don't exist to provide resources, they exist to keep magic from loving everything up, the resources are an (admittedly extremely important) side benefit. And so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to talk about how ethical they were absent discussion of the alternatives. Like yeah, if the dungeons making sentients is something easy to prevent then yeah, it's unforgivable. If it's the magical equivalent of vaccine allergies then I think it's a lot more defensible.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
It's 2022 and quote is still not edit.