Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

Does anyone want to read my way too long story of building a prusa mk3s+ clone by ordering individual parts

For future reference: :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

swampface posted:

They're sending me a new trapezoidal nut and I ordered a handful more so hopefully that'll sort out my problem. It is so easy to bind up the Z axis with the current parts that missed steps could definitely part of the problem. I've managed to get it to complete the XYZ self calibration then be unable to move the Z axis up more than halfway immediately after.

If the new nut doesn't solve my issues I'll be looking to see if the probe could be having issues next, but one thing at a time.

Ok, if you're suffering binding, that's probably why.

Does it move freely and consistently without the screw?

mewse posted:

I hesitate to bring it up but it did look like from your videos that the lead screw is bent (it wavers against that line you put on the paper under it)

I've seen much worse on perfectly fine printers. (though not on a mini) I can't rule it out, either as a symptom or cause, but I would be surprised.

It shouldn't have much effect until it's very pronounced. Maybe some cosmetic banding with that amount of wobble, or the mini may be stiff enough that you don't.

The smooth rods (or aluminum extrusions on other printers) should constrain the motion of the z carriage. With the far end free the threaded rod should be able to pivot or flex to accommodate.

If it's really bad it'll produce high enough forces to matter, or it could be bad enough to engage in the guarding hole at the far end.

This is the big reason why z axis ball bearing mods on the ender 3 are usually a bad idea. They fix the top end and force the middle of a bowed rod to move much more.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

mewse posted:

I hesitate to bring it up but it did look like from your videos that the lead screw is bent (it wavers against that line you put on the paper under it)

Yeah, I definitely noticed that but figure trying a new nut is a way cheaper first step. The bottom end of the leadscrew isn't constrained on the mini, so a little movement there should be held in check by the rods (I'm hoping).

Aurium posted:

Does it move freely and consistently without the screw?

I've seen much worse on perfectly fine printers. (though not on a mini) I can't rule it out, either as a symptom or cause, but I would be surprised.

It shouldn't have much effect until it's very pronounced. Maybe some cosmetic banding with that amount of wobble, or the mini may be stiff enough that you don't.

The smooth rods (or aluminum extrusions on other printers) should constrain the motion of the z carriage. With the far end free the threaded rod should be able to pivot or flex to accommodate.

If it's really bad it'll produce high enough forces to matter, or it could be bad enough to engage in the guarding hole at the far end.

This is the big reason why z axis ball bearing mods on the ender 3 are usually a bad idea. They fix the top end and force the middle of a bowed rod to move much more.

Yeah, the whole axis assembly slides very nicely on the rails. I'm hoping getting the binding to stop will fix things right up.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah, I'd try 200C, is what works for me with bargain basement eBay PLA.

Good call. Left @ 210, Right @ 200:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Spotted these 3d printed headphones from senheiser On LTT

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-CA/p/ie-600/

This surely must be doable on a 3d printer right? Thinking cast silicon based on an inner ear scan. Pretty sure I could get pretty accurate on a resin machine

Hardest part would be sorting out the drivers etc I imagine.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
What's a good, low-effort way to reduce the sound (halfway between a groan and a honk) my spool makes as the filament is drawn in to the enclosure? It's just on what I assume is the standard spool holder that came with the Ender 3.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Ooooooo! got a $200 coupon on the Mighty 8k. Passed on the mini, but this one is juuuuuust right for the things I want to print, which are patterns for casting car bits.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’ve got an Ender 3 Pro I got from the microcenter deal last summer. I’d like to add a CR-Touch to it; can I install it as-is or do I need to upgrade the mainboard as well?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
There was indeed a protective layer on the FEP film that I did not remove. Between the new film, easier resin, a dedicated wash and cure station, and better support methods, I don't think resin printing has ever been this easy.

First test print:

Weird egg:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm not sure how much, if really at all, 3d printers have changed since I last seriously contemplated buying a printer. I have a buddy who is serious about it now as well and looks like we'll go in halfsies to start
Is the OP still accurate? I struggle to trust most youtube people. I found this site and seems to be bringing up models and companies I've mostly heard of. Is this relatively accurate?

https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-resin-3d-printers

I am looking, in particular, resin printer to make men's for my GW like games

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Toebone posted:

I’ve got an Ender 3 Pro I got from the microcenter deal last summer. I’d like to add a CR-Touch to it; can I install it as-is or do I need to upgrade the mainboard as well?

Creality's touch screens are sort of a mystery to me, but everything else, you just need a new main board firmware to drive it. You should probably check to see if Creality provides a precompiled firmware for the E3 and touch screen.

If they don't, let us know, and I can walk you through that's entailed with compiling a new Marlin. (Spoiler alert: it's a pain in the rear end.)

Unfortunately I now know way more than I ever wanted to about RepRap displays. And what I can tell you is that for the time being, if you are after functionality, the old school mono screens with the Hitachi display are the clear winner.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

A CR-Touch is Creality's bed probe.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm not sure how much, if really at all, 3d printers have changed since I last seriously contemplated buying a printer. I have a buddy who is serious about it now as well and looks like we'll go in halfsies to start
Is the OP still accurate? I struggle to trust most youtube people. I found this site and seems to be bringing up models and companies I've mostly heard of. Is this relatively accurate?

https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-resin-3d-printers

I am looking, in particular, resin printer to make men's for my GW like games

Hard to go wrong, but a mars 2 pro is a solid choice. mars 3 is there too but not sure it offers much improvement other than a slightly bigger build area.

Consider a Saturn or Saturn s if you want the print volume but it's probably unecesary and will drive your costs up.

Keep in mind gloves, alcohol, paper towel, and potentially a wash and cure. Also consider a flex plate eventually, it'll make the machine substantially nicer to get models off

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Acid Reflux posted:

A CR-Touch is Creality's bed probe.

I knew that.

Okay, so to answer the *actual question that was asked*, no, you don't need to do anything special to put a CR Touch on an Ender 3. I think you just go into a menu and check a box.

I should throw in, however, that another goon suggested to me that I just upgrade the bed springs rather than get the CR Touch, and that goon was 100% correct. I haven't had to level the bed at all since I did that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I hate the "filter" on my mars 2 pro, it does a poo poo job of actally filtering anything and mostly vents resin fumes into the room in my experience (but it's not too hard to disable it or replace it with a recirculating filter).

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

Ok, good to know I'm not the only one struggling with the igus. I have a bunch of linear bearings showing up tomorrow with a tube of superlube and I've already already printed the applicator.

Update I replaced the igus bushings with cheap LM8UU bearings from amazon, packed the bearings with grease, also replaced the printed parts that might constrain the X axis - all motion problems are gone. X axis breezes through the self test, heat bed doesn't twist slightly on Y direction change.

It took a few hours to rebuild everything but it's very satisfying to have the machine running with no problems.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

cruft posted:

I knew that.

Okay, so to answer the *actual question that was asked*, no, you don't need to do anything special to put a CR Touch on an Ender 3. I think you just go into a menu and check a box.

I should throw in, however, that another goon suggested to me that I just upgrade the bed springs rather than get the CR Touch, and that goon was 100% correct. I haven't had to level the bed at all since I did that.

I've got the yellow bed springs and they help a ton, but my bed is a bit bowl-shaped and it can be tricky to get it leveled just right. For now I've got my PEI steel sheet on top of a glass bed on top of the aluminum, all held together with binder clips, and that seems to be working pretty well.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Toebone posted:

I've got the yellow bed springs and they help a ton, but my bed is a bit bowl-shaped and it can be tricky to get it leveled just right. For now I've got my PEI steel sheet on top of a glass bed on top of the aluminum, all held together with binder clips, and that seems to be working pretty well.

Aw, that stinks.

Marlin has a mesh bed leveling feature that will let you set offsets, in software, for various points on your bed. It's tedious, but you typically only have to do it once. If you think the bed is pretty stable and just needs a single adjustment to this sort of warping, it's an option worth considering.

Although, again, compiling Marlin is a complete pain in the rear.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So my Voron has been up and running for about a week now. I'm getting consistently awesome ABS prints and I'm finding it easier to print with then PLA lol

I really need to move on from printing upgrades/misc parts for it though and onto bigger things but it's so much fun now that I finally have something other than grey ABS to print with, got an order for Fusion and Atomic ABS in yesterday.

I freaking love this thing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ultimaker is talking about some new features in Cura around the corner. No details yet but I'm curious what they will be.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

mattfl posted:

Once you have an enclosure, ABS is ezmode.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

mattfl posted:

So my Voron has been up and running for about a week now. I'm getting consistently awesome ABS prints and I'm finding it easier to print with then PLA lol

I really need to move on from printing upgrades/misc parts for it though and onto bigger things but it's so much fun now that I finally have something other than grey ABS to print with, got an order for Fusion and Atomic ABS in yesterday.

That looks interesting. Full details?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ilkhan posted:

That looks interesting. Full details?

Are you ready for a rabbit hole?

Because once you look into this thing you’ll be gone for weeks.

So basically, it’s a fully enclosed high speed ABS printing machine lol

So start here

https://vorondesign.com/

Now, you can either self source all the parts yourself or buy a kit from the 3 or 4 companies that make them. Mine happens to be a Formbot kit, but LDO is another popular one, or you can press your luck with a random AliExpress kit.

There is a large large discord community that you need to be a part of if you want to get out of this rabbit hole. There’s a few Facebook groups too, as well as a small Reddit community, but really the discord community is where you’re gonna get all the answers you’re going to have, and there’s going to be questions lol I think there’s even a few discord mods on here as well.

Total build time to print time was approx 40ish hours for me and I’m hearing that’s a fairly common build time. To me it was fun, I had the whole week offa work and I basically worked on it everyday and loved it. There are seemingly endless mods for it and all kinda cool things for it.

I would not recommend this to anyone who has t already built or hasn’t worked on 3D printers before, def not a babies first 3D printer.

I bought it because I was tired of chopping up parts on my Prusa and because I like to build things.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If you want a Voltron, please join the Discord, head to #rules and tag a location role, then head to #gchat and ask for self-sourcing advice for your region. You will have a pile of links practically given to you, and your sourcing is done in an hour.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

mattfl posted:

Are you ready for a rabbit hole?

Because once you look into this thing you’ll be gone for weeks.

So basically, it’s a fully enclosed high speed ABS printing machine lol

So start here

https://vorondesign.com/

Now, you can either self source all the parts yourself or buy a kit from the 3 or 4 companies that make them. Mine happens to be a Formbot kit, but LDO is another popular one, or you can press your luck with a random AliExpress kit.

There is a large large discord community that you need to be a part of if you want to get out of this rabbit hole. There’s a few Facebook groups too, as well as a small Reddit community, but really the discord community is where you’re gonna get all the answers you’re going to have, and there’s going to be questions lol I think there’s even a few discord mods on here as well.

Total build time to print time was approx 40ish hours for me and I’m hearing that’s a fairly common build time. To me it was fun, I had the whole week offa work and I basically worked on it everyday and loved it. There are seemingly endless mods for it and all kinda cool things for it.

I would not recommend this to anyone who has t already built or hasn’t worked on 3D printers before, def not a babies first 3D printer.

I bought it because I was tired of chopping up parts on my Prusa and because I like to build things.
I don't have one yet, so not ready for it at this point. Maybe later on.
Whats the difference between the hot ends?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ilkhan posted:

I don't have one yet, so not ready for it at this point. Maybe later on.
Whats the difference between the hot ends?

I'll let someone more knowledgeable about that answer, I personally put a Dragon HF in mine because I got a good deal on it.

I did my first real long(9.5hours)/somewhat complicated print last night

Had to get in on the Flexi dragon stuff

But, printed with Atomic ABS UV Reactive filament!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'd have to reprint and replace the Voron plastic parts with that filament.

Except maybe in Red if that color was available in that filament.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

mewse posted:

Aurium posted:

Well the surprisingly fast shipping from Prusa got the new trapezoidal nut here today and it solved my z-axis issues. Here's what the new and old ones look like side by side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldOTungcgNo

The slight movement of the leadscrew doesn't impact performance at all. Having a very wobbly nut breaks things in all sorts of weird ways.

Got a calibration printed:

The squares measure between .18mm and .25mm thick, which seems good enough to me. Now I guess I need to start making actual things.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Has anybody printed any novelty dicks?

A lady friend asked if I'd be interested in printing some for decorations for a Bachelorette party in a few months but oddly enough that isn't something that shows up in Thingiverse/Thangs/Prusa 3d model searches. :lol:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

They're actually (probably) on there, just not easily searchable. I printed a whole bunch of dick valve stem caps. It was fun, would recommend printing dicks.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3930464

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

A lady friend asked if I'd be interested in printing some for decorations for a Bachelorette party in a few months but oddly enough that isn't something that shows up in Thingiverse/Thangs/Prusa 3d model searches. :lol:

Cults3D has an erotic section, but I know some people dislike that site because they are bad at giving people their profits.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hypnolobster posted:

They're actually (probably) on there, just not easily searchable. I printed a whole bunch of dick valve stem caps. It was fun, would recommend printing dicks.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3930464

In the related things:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3729357

I sent her that link asking if it was a good enough model and she said "the one with veins is perfect!"

So now I need to check what colors I have in my shop and decide what to print some dicks in.

Kinda wish I still had a spool of that creepy pink flesh color filament...

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

In the related things:

I sent her that link asking if it was a good enough model and she said "the one with veins is perfect!"

So now I need to check what colors I have in my shop and decide what to print some dicks in.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-flying-dino-dick-200639

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

I printed one of those dinosaur dicks a few months ago and the only place I could find the STL was the Facebook group "Uncensored 3D Printing", which seemingly exists just to show off 3d printed dicks and guns, and to whine about cancel culture. They do have a pretty wide selection of dicks though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

In the related things:

I would be sure to mention that if these are going to get wet for any reason, she needs to put a condom on them first. Not only because that makes it funnier, but also because it will help prevent nasty stuff establishing a home in the tiny pores that you tend to get with 3d printed objects.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Found this place like 10 minutes from my house that produces recycled filament out of waste from I guess their large scale commercial prints and donations? Seems cool and I like both recycling and supporting local biz so I picked up a few different colors.

https://printeriordesigns.com/

Test benchy printing now and looking quite nice.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

I was looking up "meme prints" a month or two ago and came across this one: NSFW swole Pikachu.

I am kinda tempted to print it and mail it to a mate of mine as a joke.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CH Science posted:

Found this place like 10 minutes from my house that produces recycled filament out of waste from I guess their large scale commercial prints and donations? Seems cool and I like both recycling and supporting local biz so I picked up a few different colors.

https://printeriordesigns.com/

Test benchy printing now and looking quite nice.

This will make me feel somewhat better about using so much plastic, so I'll probably buy from them in the future.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Re: dick chat

I helped print a metric fuckton of flexi-dicks for a friend for giveaways. From 70% up to 200%

I can share the STL, as they apparently were VERY popular. They do not like being printed in lovely silk pla though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I know that the fanciest printers can utilize a variety of resin materials for different outcomes/applications. Do hobby level printers have access to a variety of resin types? Do filament printers have that kind of flexibility?

Is there a materials primer I could look at?