Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Don't, and I cannot stress this enough, read the comments section on that one if you are LGBT+, Elon's fanbros are terrible terrible humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

All of these dumbasses deserve each other

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lmao

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/mattieebowen/status/1516540200142340098

https://twitter.com/tropicanapussy/status/1516618834957979651

https://twitter.com/SethJacob/status/1517198941556817921

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1516979363140435968

https://twitter.com/PaulMSherman/status/1516936733769801734

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

greazeball posted:

Cassettes have a physical write-protection mechanism on them to prevent accidental over-dubbing (both audio and VHS had this). On tapes that you had bought, there were two square holes in the top of the cassette:

The tapes in the pic are all blanks that you bought to record your own stuff. The two in the back are apparently some kind of super fancy hoity-toity version with a sliding mechanism that I never saw before today. The tape in the front has write enabled because the square holes still have the plastic tab in them that would block a pin that your tape player would lower into the cassette to verify writability. This kept you from accidentally recording over your Hall & Oates or Titanic. Or if you had a really important mix tape or every episode of Ren & Stimpy taped off Nickelodeon that you didn't want to lose, you could pop those little tabs out and then the recording would be protected. OR if you had a friend with super strict religious parents, you could take his Petra and Amy Grant tapes and put a piece of scotch tape over the holes and record over them with wild-rear end devil music like INXS and Depeche Mode so he could listen in his Walkman without getting busted by his Jesus freak mother.

They are not sliding write protectors, they contain different types of tape. The extra hole next to the write protect tab (or the extra holes in the centre) let a cassette player know you were using the posh type of tape so it could adjust accordingly (if you had a posh cassette recorder that could do that. some had a manual switch and most had nothing)

The tape at the front is the most common (and cheapest) type, ferric.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/misha_b_barkin/status/1516722130167025667?s=21

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tight aspirations posted:

Someone post the paywall cosplay guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpcl_P9ZTw

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flavor.flv posted:

Vinyl records are the last truly physical media. When the grid goes down, you can still play them on a hand cranked victrola. It would sound like poo poo but it would play. you could rig up some loving giligan's isle coconut bullshit and get sound out of a record. Even if you never would, it's an inherently more physical artefact of the music

And the cover art looks cooler

A water wheel would work pretty well although it might make for weird pitch fluctuations in the sound, like the aural version of the random speed-ramping of old hand-cranked movies.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Having since watched an LP of Dangit Ronpaul 1, I am loving baffled that all those nerds went apeshit over the loving stupidest game imaginable. A walking simulator full of incredibly unlikeable characters where occasionally you have to play hangman or DDR to "solve" a mystery that was written by throwing darts at a wall full of the stupidest plot ideas. Every time you think it's hit peak stupid, it one-ups itself. As a bonus, the solution to one of the mysteries is "the victim was trans" and it's treated with about as much respect as you'd imagine (i.e. none).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/RealLyndaCarter/status/1516505427126767622

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
https://twitter.com/SeanRMoorhead/status/1517272577093214208

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Ambitious Spider posted:

It does feel that the books are moving toward that ending blood raven possessing bran to become an immortal god king but the show executed it in a rushed and half assed way so they could move onto their Star Wars project which got canceled after poor reception to season 8.

Lmao I didn't even pick up that they implied this in the show despite being a huge theory obsessed nerd about asoiaf who read all the ancillary books

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Having since watched an LP of Dangit Ronpaul 1, I am loving baffled that all those nerds went apeshit over the loving stupidest game imaginable. A walking simulator full of incredibly unlikeable characters where occasionally you have to play hangman or DDR to "solve" a mystery that was written by throwing darts at a wall full of the stupidest plot ideas. Every time you think it's hit peak stupid, it one-ups itself. As a bonus, the solution to one of the mysteries is "the victim was trans" and it's treated with about as much respect as you'd imagine (i.e. none).
It wasn't that the game was good, it was that the goon translating it did a brilliant job of writing a Let's Play. And the game was weird as hell, which was enjoyable to read.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flavor.flv posted:

Vinyl records are the last truly physical media. When the grid goes down, you can still play them on a hand cranked victrola. It would sound like poo poo but it would play. you could rig up some loving giligan's isle coconut bullshit and get sound out of a record. Even if you never would, it's an inherently more physical artefact of the music

how is it a more physical artifact than a CD, which is also holes and ridges but more of them?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

SyNack Sassimov posted:

"warmth and tone"

i was thinking of letting this slide with a one line response but this is dumb as hell. this is beep boop robot poo poo.

even if your criticism of the fidelity of records weren't absolute bullshit on a technical level, even if it were all true and they all sounded like that recording of tennyson reading charge of the light brigade in 1890, you're coming from a standpoint that technical fidelity is all that matters.

for example despite talking about warps and surface noise you clearly don't care about durability when you thank god for the death of physical media in 2005 considering not long after that myspace lost all the music that had ever been posted on it, forever erasing an unthinkable amount of 2000s music. an insane mind boggling amount of material is gone forever because of that. more than any physical loss could ever do.

there's also the fact that there is an almost uncountable amount of recorded music that is not available digitally and will never be. there is stuff that does not get a single google result, much less exist digitized anywhere.

then there's the fact that people like records for reasons aside from technical superiority and convenience. cover art, physical ownership, hell i like records that sound like records - hosed up rough garagey afro or funk, stuff that would like phil collins doo doo if you attempt it with pristine sound. why do people sample records, often the same records, when they could record a competent drummer in a studio where you could hear a fly fart? because it doesn't sound as good. old stuff was recorded to tape and pressed on vinyl and the flaws of the medium are pleasurable to many people.

is having some of your bookshelf taken up with music hosed up and weird when (presumably) you don't go apeshit when you meet somebody who owns a bookshelf full of physical books? you don't bend their ear about how kindles are better, right?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i was thinking of letting this slide with a one line response but this is dumb as hell. this is beep boop robot poo poo.

even if your criticism of the fidelity of records weren't absolute bullshit on a technical level, even if it were all true and they all sounded like that recording of tennyson reading charge of the light brigade in 1890, you're coming from a standpoint that technical fidelity is all that matters.

for example despite talking about warps and surface noise you clearly don't care about durability when you thank god for the death of physical media in 2005 considering not long after that myspace lost all the music that had ever been posted on it, forever erasing an unthinkable amount of 2000s music. an insane mind boggling amount of material is gone forever because of that. more than any physical loss could ever do.

there's also the fact that there is an almost uncountable amount of recorded music that is not available digitally and will never be. there is stuff that does not get a single google result, much less exist digitized anywhere.

then there's the fact that people like records for reasons aside from technical superiority and convenience. cover art, physical ownership, hell i like records that sound like records - hosed up rough garagey afro or funk, stuff that would like phil collins doo doo if you attempt it with pristine sound. why do people sample records, often the same records, when they could record a competent drummer in a studio where you could hear a fly fart? because it doesn't sound as good. old stuff was recorded to tape and pressed on vinyl and the flaws of the medium are pleasurable to many people.

is having some of your bookshelf taken up with music hosed up and weird when (presumably) you don't go apeshit when you meet somebody who owns a bookshelf full of physical books? you don't bend their ear about how kindles are better, right?

dude. cmon. shut up

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you want to distort your music in a way that sounds cool you can just do it in software instead of buying a piece of antique furniture that fucks up its playback in just the right way

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Subjunctive posted:

how is it a more physical artifact than a CD, which is also holes and ridges but more of them?

CDs fail after 20 years and I have records from 1960 that sound brand new. depends on how you class the word "artifact" but i imagine most people would consider that timescale pretty short for one.

sorry i'll stop the derail i just hate when tech heads smirk about records with that dad talking to a 20 year old about cigarettes "you know those'll kill ya right" smarmy tone. some things don't work like video game console generations, they're just good already and people like them just like they did 70 years ago

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

lol knew I'd find one of 'em

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SyNack Sassimov posted:

The irony of course is that the worst physical media for audio ever invented other than wax cylinders is not only surviving but thriving. Why yes, I would love to store my music on a fragile warpable piece of plastic that by design can't store all the frequency information in music and thus stores 10% of it and uses a standard equalization circuit to invent out of whole cloth the other 90%, oh yes, and could I also get that to not store more than 22 minutes of audio and while I'm at it, not be portable in any way, require no physical movement near the player so the playback doesn't skip, and hell just for kicks let's make sure the playing apparatus wears out periodically and also damages the media the more times you play it? Oh and please make sure it can store less than half the dynamic range of human hearing. Awesome, exactly what I wanted.

Hell if you tried to sell a 1948 Packard next to a modern Ferrari and go "but the Packard is WARMER and drives better!" everyone would tell you to gently caress off, but 1940s (1880s really for the first flat records) audio technology is somehow worshipped as the pinnacle of human achievement. (I mean, I guess it just goes to show how powerful the psychoacoustic effects of 2nd-order harmonic distortion can be, EXCUSE ME, "warmth and tone").

Anyway get off my lawn.

I hate to say this but being a retro game nerd who collects CRT TVs has made me kind of understand where vinyl nerds are coming from. Yeah the "warmth" of vinyl is a sort of distortion and degradation. But it can still be pleasant and smooth over flaws in some situations.

This is the tweets thread so let's look at a tweet.

https://twitter.com/CRTpixels/status/1466089141117009922?s=20&t=XMrilrAic5zrTgyuoGP8XQ
The picture on the left is objectively more accurate and that's the quality old games should be "preserved" at. If you do any sort of up-scaling of old consoles you want to start with sharp pixels like that. But the picture on the right is the quality I would like to enjoy old games at. It's technically lower quality and distorted, but to my eye it looks more like a cohesive image than a bunch of pixels.

So to bring it back around to music I think music should be preserved at CD quality or better since we have as much of the original to work with as possible in the future. But if folks want to enjoy in on vinyl through a tube amp because they like the way that makes the music sound I understand.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

vyelkin posted:

also while we're reminiscing about bad old technology, remember when video games and computer programs used to come on like 8 CDs and periodically an "End of Disc 1" screen would come up and you had to take out the CD and put in the next one to keep going.

I swear this is why piracy was so prevalent (and why digital distribution put such a dent in it)

Insert install disc. Start installer. Insert disc 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5, then 1 again, then the install disc again.
Now you're ready to play update the game! Of course, the patches aren't on the developer's or publisher's website, they're on some hellhole like FilePlanet. Go download the latest patch you need three specific patches. There are eight patch files for this game on fileplanet, but only three of them are the correct ones. Make sure you install them in the right order; if you install the wrong patches, or the right patches in the wrong order, your install is corrupted and you have to uninstall the whole thing and start over. Each patch takes half an hour to download and an hour to install.
Now you can play the game, assuming that the copy protection doesn't poo poo the bed because you have a CD-ROM drive model that's newer than the specific copy protection version the game uses.

Meanwhile if you pirate it the install procedure is:
- start installer
- listen to some sick chiptunes for four hours while it re-encodes every single FMV and sound effect in the entire game into a less space-efficient format
- play

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
records get a few points for being the one kind of physical music that you can actually archive and won't just rot away though. cds and dvds only have an expected shelf life of 5-10 years and tapes only 10-20.
it's actually kind of terrifying when you think about how almost everything important or meaningful nowadays is stored as digital data but we have exactly 0 reliable long-term storage options. everything just relies on putting poo poo in a big data centers with lots of redundancy and constantly changing parts out as they fail

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm just gonna trust that piracy will keep most stuff in circulation some way or another.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

CDs fail after 20 years

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

cds and dvds only have an expected shelf life of 5-10 years

Quick, someone plot these data points, fit a curve, and project the date that the total shelf lifetime of a CD will have been zero.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Powered Descent posted:

Quick, someone plot these data points, fit a curve, and project the date that the total shelf lifetime of a CD will have been zero.

CDs are no more, and never were. erase them from your mind as they are erased at the point of their imagined creation

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This whole page sucks and I’m not helping. Shut the gently caress up you awful nerds. gently caress off back to your terrible sub forums.

https://twitter.com/nycguidovoice/status/646430214969532416?s=20&t=OjCvSh3esmlEWWmwFr7E-Q

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

McCracAttack posted:

I hate to say this but being a retro game nerd who collects CRT TVs has made me kind of understand where vinyl nerds are coming from. Yeah the "warmth" of vinyl is a sort of distortion and degradation. But it can still be pleasant and smooth over flaws in some situations.

This is the tweets thread so let's look at a tweet.

https://twitter.com/CRTpixels/status/1466089141117009922?s=20&t=XMrilrAic5zrTgyuoGP8XQ
The picture on the left is objectively more accurate and that's the quality old games should be "preserved" at. If you do any sort of up-scaling of old consoles you want to start with sharp pixels like that. But the picture on the right is the quality I would like to enjoy old games at. It's technically lower quality and distorted, but to my eye it looks more like a cohesive image than a bunch of pixels.

With this you also crack out the notion that for a lot of games, the art was intended to be seen through a CRT, they were working with how CRTs handled color compositing and the like. Best example definitely being SotN Dracula, who looks... honestly kind of awful in raw pixel art with those eyes, but amazing through a CRT.

https://twitter.com/CRTpixels/status/1408451743214616587?t=LUsylz0JJzFMaHAXgrESiA&s=19

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Get that CRT poo poo outta here. Nothing you remember liking was actually good. Nostalgia is a prison

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

some plague rats posted:

Nostalgia is a prison

And the present day is a goddamn nightmare. I've picked my poison.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i bought a cd and the clerk called it retro and I screamed and hissed and collapsed into a pile of jelly on the floor (panic attack from realising I would die one day)

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Please, compact discs blow. People were not meant to hear music with such clarity. People need to hear snaps and pops and that poo poo.

This, my friend, is the only piece of modern equipment I will touch

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

some plague rats posted:

Get that CRT poo poo outta here. Nothing you remember liking was actually good. Nostalgia is a prison
Like you're right and I dream of the alternate universe where Verhoeven made the "Ready Player One" movie and it is just a vicious and necessary vivisection of Millennial nostalgia poisoning

But I'm also gonna play the gently caress out of Huntdown and enjoy the scanlines and filters and you're not gonna stop me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tbZ_5RVINA

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

retro media is cool, and should coexist with modern tech

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Powered Descent posted:

I'm going to make this thread worse by stating that my mom took some of my old cds to hang outside in her garden to scare birds away, and I found out one of them was an actual retail CD of Alanis Morissette 's Jagged Little Pill (1995). I took it down and put it in my dad's ancient CD player and it still works!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm going to make this thread worse by stating that my mom took some of my old cds to hang outside in her garden to scare birds away, and I found out one of them was an actual retail CD of Alanis Morissette 's Jagged Little Pill (1995). I took it down and put it in my dad's ancient CD player and it still works!

That's ironic

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh you guys listen to music that transmits through the air? Ridiculous. If you don't have the vibtrations reverberating directly into your teeth then you're not hearing it the way it's meant to be heard.

Maybe a little bit.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Schir posted:

retro media is cool, and should coexist with modern tech

sorry, the anhedonia police say otherwise

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

mind the walrus posted:

Like you're right and I dream of the alternate universe where Verhoeven made the "Ready Player One" movie and it is just a vicious and necessary vivisection of Millennial nostalgia poisoning

But I'm also gonna play the gently caress out of Huntdown and enjoy the scanlines and filters and you're not gonna stop me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tbZ_5RVINA

RP1 is all gen-x poo poo, have you seen Ernest Cline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Ants "paving" a sticky piece of tape so that it's easier to walk across it.

https://twitter.com/horacezhl/status/1503436584212828164?s=20&t=t1z0DFhqBAwwTnMG0SidsQ