Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Cool format when are we getting the cards?
Because not calling it pioneer makes me think the answer is never

Reading the article might help

quote:

Cards will be added gradually, starting later this summer with Historic Anthology 6, which will include cards for both Historic and Explorer play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Explorer seems very cool and my only complaint is that it’s yet another format name for me to either forget or confuse with something else.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

soupy. posted:

What did you do to these people before I started lurking O_o. I checked your posts and lol what a bunch of weirdos.

It's pretty common to become needlessly hostile about card game opinions here. Welcome to the mtg thread: our gang tag is "Garbage Fire" for a reason.

I'm cool with pioneer in arena or whatever they're calling it and it may get me interested again, but who knows. The last time I got into arena I really wanted to build historic then alchemy happened and I wasn't into that. So as long as I can get an eternal format without capricious retcon fuckery, I'm interested.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
drat, lightly making fun of each other. Such hostility

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TotalHell posted:

Explorer seems very cool and my only complaint is that it’s yet another format name for me to either forget or confuse with something else.

I do enjoy the thematic consistency of the name

An Explorer paves the way for Pioneers

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

mandatory lesbian posted:

No like, i mean literally how would we know, prerelease for new capenna has not happened yet

These people were insane and thought they could discern this information BEFORE the event and use it to gain some sort of advantage at a hyper casual format meant to introduce new cards. I hope you can see why I don't miss this type of power gaming munchkin bullshit

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

kalel posted:

I do enjoy the thematic consistency of the name

An Explorer paves the way for Pioneers

Let’s cancel wizards because of colonialism.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/3cpjMQ0VtUg

Muuuussstaaaaaccchhheeeeeee

Also a video about Modern

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
the best prerelease structure is one that has flat prizing and promos given out at random. that way everyone can build the dumbest but funniest decks they can think of without worry about their W/L

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/CKUnion_/status/1517214925512314880

:hellyeah: you love to see it

Hope they're successful!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Cactrot posted:

Rest in Peace was included in Amonkhet Remastered.

Huh, I couldn't find it when I searched for it in my collection, guess I never drafted it. Thanks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Reading the article might help

Pattern recognition might also tell you they've made this promise over and over.
Pioneer to Arena any day now.
I mean, it's even In the article that it's never going to happen, lol

quote:

Our goal is "all the Pioneer cards that matter," so when we eventually embrace the Pioneer name on MTG Arena, you should expect us to be at a point where the decks you want to play will be available. Cards will be added gradually, starting later this summer with Historic Anthology 6, which will include cards for both Historic and Explorer play.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 22, 2022

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

That’s dope. Signed.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell yeah

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Pattern recognition might also tell you they've made this promise over and over.

Do you also complain that MTGO Legacy isn't real Legacy because you can't play Aladdin's Lamp?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Do you also complain that MTGO Legacy isn't real Legacy because you can't play Aladdin's Lamp?

If I brewed something up that needed an Aladdin's Lamp I would, yes.
Same about Confusion in the Ranks for Modern. Or Panoptic Mirror.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't understand how people can go through wotc constantly making GBS threads the bed and undermining their own decisions, and then forget it all with one nice press release.

Wotc lies all the time. Every other word is a lie. They just want you to get off their back while they come up with more bullshit to throw at customers

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I've always like Aladdin's Lamp because in the Arabian Nights printing they couldn't print 10 generic mana so it has two 5s in the casting cost. I expect this is a unique thing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the "cards that matter" approach to pioneer on arena had been touted by players themselves for months. it's not an alien idea. though personally it's going to be a little jarring when I go to make a Pioneer deck on arena and there's one random uncommon that wasn't implemented but isn't replaceable. this isn't really comparable to random jank from three decades ago not being available on mtgo, there are a lot of cards in pioneer, even if most of them are different flavors of already existing cards

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think the minimum should be making sure every rare and mythic is available, even if they dont see wide-spread play theres always some fool like hootington who wants to build a deck around them, since they usually have at the lease unique effects

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

One thing they did say is that if you want a card to be added sooner rather than later, build a deck that includes it and put up any kind of results, because that is how they're deciding on what gets added first.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The point is they didn't define "all the cards that matter" yet, so you can't say "they're admitting that it's never going to be real Pioneer" unless you're using the strictest definition

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Panderfringe posted:

I don't understand how people can go through wotc constantly making GBS threads the bed and undermining their own decisions, and then forget it all with one nice press release.

Wotc lies all the time. Every other word is a lie. They just want you to get off their back while they come up with more bullshit to throw at customers

what is even the lie supposed to be here, that they're not actually going to add cards to explorer until it approximates pioneer?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Why did they make mtga instead of upgrading mtgo?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

mtgo has a different economic model from what they want to push and is probably unsalvageable as a codebase

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Is Shaharazad in MTGO? Gonna assume no cause I would just troll people

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Koirhor posted:

Is Shaharazad in MTGO? Gonna assume no cause I would just troll people

it's banned in every format

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

Why did they make mtga instead of upgrading mtgo?

The biggest reasons are probably:

1. The MTGO interface is fine (and better than MTGA's in some ways) if you're familiar with Magic, but it's a lot less intuitive to use and a lot more ugly.
2. MTGO economy is a lot less casual friendly.
3. People are more likely to try a brand new product than an upgraded product.

MTGO is a totally fine program if you're a Magic sicko but its very unappealing to basically anyone else.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i imagine being able to play on mobile was also a big part of making it its own client and lol @ doing any mtgo ui shenanigans on a tablet

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The point is they didn't define "all the cards that matter" yet, so you can't say "they're admitting that it's never going to be real Pioneer" unless you're using the strictest definition

I'm using the existing remaster sets as a guide. I don't think it's unreasonable to see two of the pet cards I wanted for historic missing from it and saying "I expect them to do this again"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Still kind of in shock that Wizards had two relatively good back to back announcements in recent weeks. There's a lot to be seen about how the Explorer to Pioneer transition will look but I'm willing to play along for the time being.

fadam posted:

1. The MTGO interface is fine (and better than MTGA's in some ways) if you're familiar with Magic, but it's a lot less intuitive to use and a lot more ugly.

MTGO is a totally fine program if you're a Magic sicko but its very unappealing to basically anyone else.

I've been playing Magic since the late 90s, and continuously since 2014, and I have basically no desire to engage with MTGO. Wizards trying to replicate the paper economy in a digital game probably made sense in 2000 but makes zero sense today, even though the digital economy of Arena is bad in its own unique ways. Like I don't think enough people acknowledge how crazy it is that an entire rental industry popped up around MTGO in the last few years, one that at this point is keeping the platform alive to a degree.

That being said, if they don't bungle Explorer too hard then I'm probably done with MTGO, or at least done with rental services on MTGO.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm using the existing remaster sets as a guide. I don't think it's unreasonable to see two of the pet cards I wanted for historic missing from it and saying "I expect them to do this again"

It is if your pet cards are unreasonable

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Don’t know how popular Ross kemp is in The States but I think some of his docs did show up in the US.
https://twitter.com/wizards_magiceu/status/1517419426538307584?s=21

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HootTheOwl posted:

the remaster sets had as their goal to smash multiple sets together into a smaller set with a good limited environment + i think that's different enough as a goal that i wouldn't draw the same conclusions especially when they're talking about prioritizing cards that are actually impactful

if you look at the cards that weren't in amonkhet or kaladesh remastered there's definitely a few that'd be a bit much for a limited format or inserting into historic (at the time of those remastered sets' releases) but could be important enough to make it into explorer, sure

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

would be pretty cool if they did a paper Pioneer masters set with a simultaneous release on arena. though I assume they won't put that in the pipeline until pioneer becomes more established as a format

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

fadam posted:

I'm assuming there are even more reasons because it seems like a slam dunk to just import people's mtgo collections to a better, more modern client. I imagine balancing a transfer of wealth from one economy to a new one would be difficult but not impossible. And if anyone was upset that the money they put into mtgo is affected by the change, wotc could tell them to eat dicks

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

would be pretty cool if they did a paper Pioneer masters set with a simultaneous release on arena. though I assume they won't put that in the pipeline until pioneer becomes more established as a format

The inevitability of this is probably a big reason we're going to get Pioneer on Arena in the first place.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm assuming there are even more reasons because it seems like a slam dunk to just import people's mtgo collections to a better, more modern client. I imagine balancing a transfer of wealth from one economy to a new one would be difficult but not impossible. And if anyone was upset that the money they put into mtgo is affected by the change, wotc could tell them to eat dicks

It's more that to do that you'd need to go into whatever nonsense the MTGO codebase is built on and reimplement all of it, and every weird exception needed for every weird templating rule they've ever implemented and fix the absolutely absurd number of bugs that would generate, all so that a small number of players can play with old cards they already own

orrrrr

Arena.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

big cummers ONLY posted:

i think you don't really understand the current state of mtgo w/r/t the people that still play it, how much money they've sunk into it, and how many other people play through 'renting' cards from other people (on top of just generally underestimating the amount of work "just importing" those cards would be)

IMO mtgo is in a state where the level of maintenance they do on it works fine and doing anything more complex to/with it would start a lot of fires that are better off keeping unlit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
MTGO and Arena have completely different economies. Transferring your MTGO collection into a mobile game style would torpedo the whole system. You'd have an incredible run on the market as rumours swirl that they're going to a gacha economy and people liquidate entire collections into tickets to cash out into real money while every Standard card would be sold out from every shop to do a complete set purchase from Wizards. At the end of it all there will be a ton of bagholders with sets of Power Nine that will be pissed off that everyone else can craft them for 1 rare WC per copy.