Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Risky Bisquick posted:

Mama, did the hedgehog fall?
No he is hiding under the leaf
[Is it] hiding because of the air raid sirens?
:stare:
https://twitter.com/twikurwa/status/1517190829391159296

:hmmyes:
https://twitter.com/OSINT88/status/1517523880331681794

This and the other fires lead me to believe Ukrainian Spetnaz or Russian saboteurs

This seems like too many coincidences to not be a pattern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently the stamps have different series or something indicated by the letter on left.

Press F to pay respects

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
None of this seems particularly strategically valuable for the Ukrainian cause, though I guess stuff like ammo depots is probably better guarded. But then stuff like railroad equipment probably isn't.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Luckily for the Russians there aren't any EU/NATO countries who care or are interested in Moldova, certainly none with basically identical ethnic/linguistic identity.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently the stamps have different series or something indicated by the letter on left.

Press F to pay respects

"Russian warship ... EVERYTHING" - Ukrposhta presents a new stamp (photo)

quote:

Ukrposhta presents a new postage stamp with a "Russian ship". The word "DONE" will be added to the new stamp, which is a reference to the sunken Russian cruiser "Moscow" .

This was announced by the head of Ukrposhta Igor Smilyansky.

According to him, the rules of issuing Ukrposhta stamps did not allow to print the exact stamp as it was in the first "edition".

"But we could not fail to meet the wishes of millions of people. Therefore, today we announce the release of the second brand of this series -" Russian warship .. EVERYTHING "or" Russian Warship… DONE ", - said Smilyansky.

The circulation of the stamp will be 5 million copies, and the envelope 1 million.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hell one of Putin's victory laps upon becoming President was a return to the soviet anthem everyone loves to blare.
To be fair it is by far the superior piece of music.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Alchenar posted:

I think it's worth noting though that in Transnistra, Georgia, and Ukraine 2014 Russia has gotten away with a pattern of frozen conflicts - it's been the up-till-now successful model of Putin's coercive diplomacy, aided by a West that has prioritised demanding immediate ceasefires and then pushing the victims of Russian aggression to accept concessions (ie. Minsk).

As long as Ukraine refuses to play this game and the West doesn't make the mistake of pushing for a ceasefire that allows Russia to lock in the gains of its war then Russia really doesn't have a model for success in this situation.

I think that's another key point.

On the invasion side, Russia is against Ukraine who have a ton of motivation never accept defeat. If Russia is on the "defensive", they might think they only need to hold out against the West's political will to give aid.

It remains to be seen how successful a future Ukrainian offensive will be but I think that will be the key indicator to how long this conflict will last.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The forces that was in Bucha and have been accused of the execution of civs there just got hit hard in an assault in the Donbass region. https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1517539953143595011?t=p8mW5zFOHBrg35RGTa8Fpg&s=19

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh cool, thanks! I've been trying to procure some of these so it's great to have more availability.

Oracle posted:

To be fair it is by far the superior piece of music.
OTOH it's so basic even I, an idiot, can play it. The punk rock or anthems only lamer.

WarpedLichen posted:

I think that's another key point.

On the invasion side, Russia is against Ukraine who have a ton of motivation never accept defeat. If Russia is on the "defensive", they might think they only need to hold out against the West's political will to give aid.

It remains to be seen how successful a future Ukrainian offensive will be but I think that will be the key indicator to how long this conflict will last.
Yeah which is why I hope heavy weapon support keeps escalating and enables Ukraine to secure the airspace around the south-east. It'd be a huge deal for offensive operations and help accelerate it.

ChaseSP posted:

The forces that was in Bucha and have been accused of the execution of civs there just got hit hard in an assault in the Donbass region. https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1517539953143595011?t=p8mW5zFOHBrg35RGTa8Fpg&s=19
Good, eat poo poo assholes.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Alchenar posted:

.... the West doesn't make the mistake of pushing for a ceasefire ...

German Government: "the gas must flow" immediately came to mind. :derp:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

CAESAR has the best name of all weapons. CAmion Équipé d'un Système d'ARtillerie - truck with an artillery piece on it.
A french acronym? Then the rest of the world must call it a RASEAC.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CommieGIR posted:

Mobilizing troops only works if you can equip and supply them.

EDIT: Oh, and train them.

"the first man takes the rifle, the second the ammunition,,,,,"

but seriously they don't have the supplies to kick poo poo off. they would have been better of just going into this as an out and out war and winning via numbers zerg rush or at least losing less badly.

ChaseSP posted:

war aint fun when they shoot back is it assholes. have fun in hell. send Reagan and Stalin, my regards.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ChaseSP posted:

shame

that they won't face trial

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

shame

that they won't face trial

Yet they got the sentencing carried out the most of the governments in the world no longer dish out, even if in this case it would be fully justified.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 22, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ulf posted:

They kind of cheated with the two letter combos so let's call it an ARSECA

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

TulliusCicero posted:

This and the other fires lead me to believe Ukrainian Spetnaz or Russian saboteurs

https://twitter.com/JohnnydaMook/status/1517533111726264331?s=20&t=a5stVPGgeeA2Bn3fPfQ9fQ

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

They are literally selling NATO to Finland and Sweden. What better salesman do you need.

These guys have gone absolutely bonkers.

Putin has been like this for literally 20 years. Before him, Russia has been like this since 1991. And before that, ...

I remember reading an article (on the Yle web site I think it was, Finnish public broadcaster) where Putin's defence minister made a statement re possible Finnish membership in NATO. He said, if Finland expresses a desire for possibly joining NATO maybe, there will be harsh consequences. And I remember thinking, you know this whole Iraq invasion thing ain't great, NATO maybe not the nicest thing in the world, USA neither, but since this shithead semi-dictator wants us to choose a side, then I guess I'm gonna have to choose a side - and that side sure as poo poo ain't gonna be Putin and his "circle of influence" poo poo. Thus I became a supporter of Finland's NATO membership

This was in 2007

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The reported features of those newly developed Ghost drones seem uniquely suited to hunting down convoys at night. Long loiter times and IR cameras would be perfect for cruising up and down the highways undetected looking for trucks hoping to avoid the artillery spotters by travelling at night.

evilweasel posted:

the funny thing is, they had the opportunity to just...not release this take, to redo it

If he’s in that much pain they probably didn’t have the option of doing a bunch of takes. I suspect based on his level of discomfort any camera operator who suggested that might have been sent to a room with a slanted floor.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

jaete posted:

Putin has been like this for literally 20 years. Before him, Russia has been like this since 1991. And before that, ...

I remember reading an article (on the Yle web site I think it was, Finnish public broadcaster) where Putin's defence minister made a statement re possible Finnish membership in NATO. He said, if Finland expresses a desire for possibly joining NATO maybe, there will be harsh consequences. And I remember thinking, you know this whole Iraq invasion thing ain't great, NATO maybe not the nicest thing in the world, USA neither, but since this shithead semi-dictator wants us to choose a side, then I guess I'm gonna have to choose a side - and that side sure as poo poo ain't gonna be Putin and his "circle of influence" poo poo. Thus I became a supporter of Finland's NATO membership

This was in 2007

Pretty much the same story, although this war sealed the deal not because of Russian attack to Ukraine, but because Germany single-handedly demonstrated that EU is completely useless as a sufficient security system. Against proper invasion maybe, but if you are not attacked, but rather infested by the little green men sent by Putin & Pals, until there is no plausible deniability Germany will give just us the cold shoulder and block all meaningful actions as an EU preceding the invasion because it would be against their economic interests to care about the Finnish regions in the periphery of the EU.

And basically all of my family living in Eastern Finland, I am really loving concerned over those oligarch land grabs, their building projects and the little green men of Putin. That one guy for Christs sake built an forward operations base for airborne cavalry in his private island in Puumala and few years back the military raided in Turku what was basically a marine corps base in Turku archipelago. Before this March our government just sat on its hands and let it happen because "Putin might get upset if we did something about it".

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 22, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I have to wonder how many large, devastating infrastructure failures were happening in Russia on a daily basis that the Western world wasn't noticing , because Russia wasn't top of the news agenda.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Ulf posted:

I thought of Trucked Artillery Piece, then a good french diminutive, so a TAPETTE, but that has some *rather* problematic connotations so, no.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

gay picnic defence posted:

might have been sent to a room with a slanted floor.

Ugh I hate wetrooms, just have a bathroom with a separate shower unit ffs

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TulliusCicero posted:

I think you would have to do some statistical analyses before you jump into conclusions that big. Russia is a massive country with notoriously bad infrastructure, they have far, far more fires and disasters every day than that.

The worst thing that could follow from a fictional narrative that every fire in Russia is by Ukrainian special forces or Russian fifth columnists would be incitements against anyone with Ukrainian background or family connections, even pogroms. For example, do you remember the Notre Dame fire of 2019? As the fire was still raging, some people were already pointing the finger at... Muslims working at the restoration project. :shuckyes: (Investigation concluded that the cause was not deliberate, but either an electrical failure or a cigarette stump.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
They're already blaming everything on "internal Ukrainians" anyway

Der Kyhe posted:

And basically all of my family living in Eastern Finland, I am really loving concerned over those oligarch land grabs, their building projects and the little green men of Putin. That one guy for Christs sake built an forward operations base for airborne cavalry in his private island in Puumala and few years back the military raided in Turku what was basically a marine corps base in Turku archipelago. Before this March our government just sat on its hands and let it happen because "Putin might get upset if we did something about it".
Wait what the hell? Is there anything I could read about that? Sounds pretty wild but I couldn't (easily) google anything in English.

Rust Martialis posted:

I thought of Trucked Artillery Piece, then a good french diminutive, so a TAPETTE, but that has some *rather* problematic connotations so, no.
Speaking of artillery acronyms, I thought DANA was supposed to be just a female name but it stands for self-propelled artillery, autoreloading. And I'm pretty sure it's also a name because some variants are called Zuzana lol.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 22, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Failed Imagineer posted:

I have to wonder how many large, devastating infrastructure failures were happening in Russia on a daily basis that the Western world wasn't noticing , because Russia wasn't top of the news agenda.

I suspect this plays a big part

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait what the hell? Is there anything I could read about that? Sounds pretty wild but I couldn't (easily) google anything in English.

Yeah, oligarchs and random Russian millionaires were doing "just some summer cottage renovations" and/or "honest investments":

-The helicopter base at Puumala: https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/a/7a654e8f-e107-4096-a608-94e10d019a3d
-The marine shenanigans at Turku archipedago: https://www.is.fi/turun-seutu/art-2000008762984.html

Both unfortunately yellow press but the "Puumala airpad" and "Airiston Helmi" will hit you better sources.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mobby_6kl posted:

There's a bit of Der Kyhe's hyperbole there as usual. The 'Airiston Helmi' case involved a number of islands including 11 premises which were being built as resorts, but more likely it was a mixture of money laundering and investing oligarch money into a safe place. Since the places were on islands, they had docks for yachts and some also had helicopter landing pads because oligarchs, which in Kyhe-speak means they were literal naval infantry bases. The joint police, border guards and defense forces raid was about money laundering, though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1517439714533740544

Remarkably disingenuous.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

How is this playing domestically, is the question.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah, at this point Scholz is making it clear that Russia has them by the balls.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

How is this playing domestically, is the question.

German posters itt I’m sure will expand upon this, but he’s tanking. The only two of the 5 visible government politicians that are gaining popularity are firmly pro-Ukraine.

He’s not yet threatened enough to be replaced, though. That partly seems to be a problem of finding a popular alternative.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nenonen posted:

There's a bit of Der Kyhe's hyperbole there as usual. The 'Airiston Helmi' case involved a number of islands including 11 premises which were being built as resorts, but more likely it was a mixture of money laundering and investing oligarch money into a safe place. Since the places were on islands, they had docks for yachts and some also had helicopter landing pads because oligarchs, which in Kyhe-speak means they were literal naval infantry bases. The joint police, border guards and defense forces raid was about money laundering, though.

Although those aren't the only ones, for example there is also Kultakivi in Punkaharju, basically an abandoned summer resort next to an unguarded air field, and at least five other ex-resorts in the Saimaa region that are not being renovated or reopened, or transformed into private dachas.

Saying that this isn't suspicious or at least somewhat odd is quite foolish, although its easy to dismiss this if you live in Helsinki and don't give a poo poo about that part of the country. Like most of the government did until this March. Also, saying that Putin surely wasn't cooking up the deck and making plans for something in the Eastern Finland after his 5-day vacation in Ukraine is over is equally stupid; had Ukraine been a cake walk it would have been us or Sweden next.

EDIT: Somehow most of these places also are in the region which prior to 1809 were part of the Russian empire, and added back to the Grand Duchy after the Viipuri Peace.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 22, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Just when you think they couldn't sink any lower, Scholz asks for a shovel.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

You wouldn't know, would you, you traitor? out with it, why does russia have you and your collaborators by the balls?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

Well this is by no means worse than their ongoing deal of condemning Ukraine for being too uppity and not servile / reverent enough in their dealing with German gov.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Maybe he is drilling for his own natural gas?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Although those aren't the only ones, for example there is also Kultakivi in Punkaharju, basically an abandoned summer resort next to an unguarded air field, and at least five other ex-resorts in the Saimaa region that are not being renovated or reopened, or transformed into private dachas.

Saying that this isn't suspicious or at least somewhat odd is quite foolish, although its easy to dismiss this if you live in Helsinki and don't give a poo poo about that part of the country. Like most of the government did until this March.

EDIT: Somehow most of these places also are in the region which prior to 1809 were part of the Russian empire, and added back to the Grand Duchy after the Viipuri Peace.

This seems insane, the idea that Russia was already prepping forward bases within Finland.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Grape posted:

Luckily for the Russians there aren't any EU/NATO countries who care or are interested in Moldova, certainly none with basically identical ethnic/linguistic identity.

Thanks to the hit show "90 Day Fiancee", Americans now care about Moldova.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Now Poland can have British, German, and American tanks! (I think they still make one of their own, too, don't they?)

Not at the moment, but new program assumes about 750 tanks will be at least partially domestically produced. There's industry that can handle manufacture, and probably even limited design. I wonder if Ukraine gets only upgraded T-72 M1R from recent repair and upgrade program (first deliveries in 2019) that got new thermal sights, Comms, Navi and some other random stuff or older T-72M1. I wonder if also PT-91 get shipped, those should be reasonably up to date and comparable to recent Russian and Ukrainian stuff. They also have ERA, whrn T-72M1R does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Morrow posted:

This seems insane, the idea that Russia was already prepping forward bases within Finland.

I edited it into my message but yes, should Ukraine been the 5-day trip abroad Putin was thinking, I have no doubt that Finland or Sweden would have been the next target.

The ownership data isn't classified, anyone can go out and confirm that yes, Russians have been buying abandoned resorts and remote locations in Eastern Finland and it just appears so that the first thing they build is a helicopter pad, if they build anything at all. And this didn't concern our government to the slightest until Ukraine happened.