Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wanted Kira's stand to be Parliament and Josefumi's to be Funkadelic

If we get two JoJo's in Part 9 this could still happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Stand names are never about what they do, rather, they're whatever Araki's favorite song at the moment is.

Otherwise explain to me what Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap has to do with dimension hopping.
I think it has a vague thematic link to Valentine's philosophy about how it's OK to do bad things for your country.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wanted Kira's stand to be Parliament and Josefumi's to be Funkadelic
I hope we'll one day get two Stand users named Bachman and Turner who have a shared Stand called Overdrive.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 25, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Just stick with Prince song names so we get a main character with "Pussy Control" as a Stand.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Ah, the ability to herd cats. Powerful stuff.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Stand names are never about what they do, rather, they're whatever Araki's favorite song at the moment is.

Otherwise explain to me what Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap has to do with dimension hopping.

he literally gets infinite expendable clones of himself that he either tasks with doing poo poo for him or will hijack their existence to replace them with the prime one

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
someone explain how Limp Bizkit ties to the power of making invisible zombies

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'd give you an explanation, but it'd be a lot of he said she said bullshit.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hatty posted:

Fred Durst is an invisible zombie irl

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

hatty posted:

Limp Bizkit, the one who emerges from the dark, who indulges in the dark.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

hatty posted:

People die but it lets them keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin'

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gruckles posted:

Limp Bizkit, the one who emerges from the dark, who indulges in the dark.

I do not envy the dub actor who has to voice this except it's "Flacid Pancake" without cracking up.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
jesus loving christ the parrot is named Pet Sounds

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Johnny Joestar posted:

he literally gets infinite expendable clones of himself that he either tasks with doing poo poo for him or will hijack their existence to replace them with the prime one

You say the dirty deeds can be done dirt cheap, but it would in fact be quite expensive to hire that many coroners to clean up all those dead clones. Curious!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

You say the dirty deeds can be done dirt cheap, but it would in fact be quite expensive to hire that many coroners to clean up all those dead clones. Curious!

Dojyan.

All gone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

goblin week posted:

jesus loving christ the parrot is named Pet Sounds

Hol Horse in Morioh manga?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Hol Horse in Morioh manga?

Yeah. I am legitimately impressed by that naming because it feels Araki As gently caress

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'll have to give it a reread from the beginning. I've forgotten almost everything that's happened.

I did read the new Rohan chapter, though, which had a gag about Rohan trying to depict a character made of three circles while his editor warned him that Disney might get pissed. Makes me wonder if that's indicative of Stone Ocean's struggles with Bohemian Rhapsody.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

hatty posted:

We know there are fans of Limp Bizkit out there, but no one has ever seen one... perhaps they are invisible? And clearly they have zombie-level intelligence

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I unironically have an OC Jojo character in my head with a stand called R. Kelly, and yes, its powers involve piss.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

I unironically have an OC Jojo character in my head with a stand called R. Kelly, and yes, its powers involve piss.

the true gold experience

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Technically its powers involve either the user's blood or any of the user's other bodily fluids mixed with blood. Its effects are stronger the more blood that's used, but there needs to be a certain minimum amount of fluid for it to work and using just blood alone would require the user to spend weeks collecting their own blood just to use the stand's ability once, so they mix it with the easiest and most abundant bodily substance they can think of, which is — you guessed it — piss.

... and maybe they use poo poo once or twice, I dunno. The character is based on a real-life guy I hate so y'know.

It took me maybe 5 minutes at most to come up with all of this one night when I was bored.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jodeci stand that gives the user powerful boner-based attacks every time they close their eyes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Stand Name: Tape Deck Heart
Stand Power: Control over joint cavitation of anyone nearby, giving the user ways to track their target by following the cracking noises, strategically popping certain joints as a means of distraction, focused cracking to temporarily reduce effectiveness of a joint, and mass repeated popping of all joints at once to cause the person to become disoriented by the sudden absorption of the nitrogen from the joints into the body.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

can someone help me make beavis an av?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P3GbeJQEtg

This siivagunner rip still owns

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Could someone help me out with something? Someone is trying to convince me that, at the time, Stone Ocean was an unpopular and divisive part in JJBA's history, but I wouldn't know where to look to really confirm that tale.

Anyone know of places I could look?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Stone Ocean as a whole or just the ending?

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Maybe you can find 2 Chan archives or something? Though that would probably be a bubble in itself.

Edit: thought you were talking about the Japanese audience for some reason.

SpiderLink fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 23, 2022

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LightningKimba posted:

Could someone help me out with something? Someone is trying to convince me that, at the time, Stone Ocean was an unpopular and divisive part in JJBA's history, but I wouldn't know where to look to really confirm that tale.

I feel like most Jojos were and the anime's been making a lot of parts more accessible and easy to enjoy (ex, Part 4 material that isn't Duwangs).

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Stone Ocean as a whole or just the ending?

As a whole! I'm fairly aware of the divisive ending (Not just from here, but 7~ long break between SO and SBR), but being told SO as a whole was unpopular during its run interested me as I don't believe that's commonly spoken of?
When I got into reading the manga back in 2012-ish, something I recall reading is that from binge reading the series, people would get burnt out between either Golden Wind or Stone Ocean due to the heavy amount of Stand fights (And at the time not great translation of Golden Wind probably didn't help matters either). But that said, this is looking at Stone Ocean during the 2010's, versus the Japanese fanbase during the early 00's.

I think it's fun to discuss mostly because learning Golden Wind is popular in both Italy and Japan was very cool to hear, especially as it wasn't so before the newer translation. But Stone Ocean I don't really hear too much about.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm honestly surprised Golden Wind is so popular because it feels kinda lackluster with how it's almost non-stop fighting with barely any room to breathe.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think a thing that helps is that the gang is constantly making progress towards their goal at the time. The Talking Head fight is the only one that doesn't end with them making some form of progress.

Also even with the non stop fights they're still able to make some room for levity like the end of White Album or when they beat up that random civilian.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's been one week since you looked at me
Cocked your head to the side and then you drank pee

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

I'm honestly surprised Golden Wind is so popular because it feels kinda lackluster with how it's almost non-stop fighting with barely any room to breathe.
and giorno has barely any personality and underutilizes his power. i thought the anime would improve my feeling on him but nope

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

LightningKimba posted:

If I recall correctly from a database of such things I saw years and years ago, Jojo's jump rankings fell ever so slightly from its perpetually middle of the pack status during Stone Ocean.

To get a deeper look you'd have to check circa-2000 japanese internet and uh, that seems hard.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Funky Valentine posted:

If I recall correctly from a database of such things I saw years and years ago, Jojo's jump rankings fell ever so slightly from its perpetually middle of the pack status during Stone Ocean.

To get a deeper look you'd have to check circa-2000 japanese internet and uh, that seems hard.

Scrolling through 2ch might be less of a tall task than Japanese internet scrolling, heh. But I never thought to look into Jump rankings, heck it could be interesting to look at some of the manga JJBA was paired up with for all these years. Like how in one of the crossover Jump titles that Jotaro and Luffy had a special move together. It was cute! :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jojo's long tenure in Weekly Jump means it shared spotlight with tons of important manga. Emperor Pilaf-era Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star (obviously), Captain Tsubasa, Knights of the Zodiac, that series where dogs fight bears, and Kinnikuman were all running in Phantom Blood's debut issue.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

It's not that surprising, considering Golden Wind probably has the sexiest male characters in all of JoJo and is probably the gayest part. Fandoms still love their shipping, so it would make sense that such a part would be incredibly popular and discussed for a long time.

However, after some thinking, Golden Wind might be my least favorite. It has some high highs, but also so much missed potential that it hurts. Fugo got robbed, Diavolo is boring and Giorno doesn't have much going for him. The whole final arc is the only part of JoJo that's straight up bad, introducing so many elements and deus ex machinas while completely disregarding 4D chess that JoJo is known for.

Stone Ocean, on the other hand, is my favorite. Probably because I read it after the anime disappointed me for the first time, along with people saying that it's one of the worst ones. It's super creative and funny, even if it suffers from usual faults of Araki's writing. Also, the ending is wonderful :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Golden Wind is also easier to follow. For instance, the Train Fight is possibly the best art to show action that Araki has ever done, only rivaled by a couple of things in Steel Ball Run. Part 6 gets...messy with people not able to figure out what's going on in multiple fights. It's probably the most needed of the animes for that reason. I know that's one reason I liked 5 more than 6, the art flow was just better with the right mix of complicated and balance and flow. 6 has this run with no gravity, then Dragon's Dream where everyone is always flipping around all over the place and the page and you have to keep re-looking at stuff to figure out what's happening. JoJolion has this issue as compared to SBR as well.