Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, the more regency era fiction you've read the sharper JS&MN is. I get why it isn't everyone's thing, it's not trying to be, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

And just aesthetically I really enjoy the contrast between polite buttoned-up discussions in drawing rooms, and the creepy sacrifices and dark dealings of the fae. I think a lot of english fantasy treats the fantastical as something "other" - either ancient and celtic (Wickerman, Apostle etc) or exotic and foreign (Dracula, the many stories about Romani curses) - so there's something very fun about a book that takes a distinctly English approach to the fantastic, all dark forests and drizzled moors.

The book isn't un-critical of this idea, but its still fun on a surface level.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Has the author written a full version of A Child’s History of the Raven King yet? Because those excerpts were my absolute favorite parts of JS&MN.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Harold Fjord posted:

Autonomous is strictly bad.

I read an excerpt of it when it first came out; a long scene of the protagonist hacking their way into something or other using an exploit on an unpatched garden sprinkler. I decided if they were trying to tempt me into reading it with something that incredibly boring then the rest must be even worse.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Red Rising (#1) by Pierce Brown - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVS2J80/

Jade City (Green Bone Saga #1) by Fonda Lee - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCBRX8/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is one of my favourite books of all time, but I watched the BBC miniseries before I read the book. I think that helped because I knew it was going to be great and the book was a chance to get even deeper into the world.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I saw the movie for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy years ago but never bothered to read the book. I'm listening to the audiobook now, and it's fantastic and I'm already 44% done. The author is doing a great job for the narration.

Marvin is great

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I saw the movie for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy years ago but never bothered to read the book. I'm listening to the audiobook now, and it's fantastic and I'm already 44% done. The author is doing a great job for the narration.

Marvin is great

Listen to the original radio series if you get a chance. It's probably aged badly I expect but it's the first version of the story to make it to the public and it's loads of fun

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Listen to the original radio series if you get a chance. It's probably aged badly I expect but it's the first version of the story to make it to the public and it's loads of fun
I dug out my copies recently, and it's still exactly as good as it was on BBC shortwave back when I heard it the first time.
Journey of The Sorcerer and the piece made by Jean Michel Jarre sound better, but that's about the only difference.

Apparently there's been a radio version made out of the book Eoin Colfer wrote, which I've been meaning to check out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm sure this will annoy someone but, this style of writing reminds me a little bit of:

Monty Python
Spaceballs
Tom Stranger

Obviously, some of those likely had influence from Doug Adams (doug adams clearly watched Star Trek since he made a star trek reference in this book), and obviously those similarities aren't bad to be because I love those too. 85% done so far and this was much better than that previous poo poo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm sure this will annoy someone but, this style of writing reminds me a little bit of:

Monty Python
Spaceballs
Tom Stranger

Obviously, some of those likely had influence from Doug Adams (doug adams clearly watched Star Trek since he made a star trek reference in this book), and obviously those similarities aren't bad to be because I love those too. 85% done so far and this was much better than that previous poo poo.

Douglas Adams was close with the Python crew, there's a lot of cross-pollination there. He also adored Doctor Who and wrote a story for it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Monty Python
Spaceballs
Tom Stranger

The only thing that's even notable about this sentence is that you apparently refuse to call him by his actual name.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The only thing that's even notable about this sentence is that you apparently refuse to call him by his actual name.

Doug is a nickname for douglas...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Has anyone in here heard of or read Wyrm by Mark Fabi? I fired up Cyberpunk 2077 and now my brain is clamoring for good cyberpunk so I'm reading Virtual Light (Gibson is an artist, goddamn) and looking for other titles. I'm not expecting anything as good as Gibson but it's fun to look and find the weird stuff... like Wyrm. It has a handful of reviews on goodreads and I can't find anyone else on the internet talking about it.

PS If you have a cyberpunk rec feel free to hit me with it, but be warned that I've heard of most of 'em. I think I collect books to read more than I read. :v:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has anyone in here heard of or read Wyrm by Mark Fabi? I fired up Cyberpunk 2077 and now my brain is clamoring for good cyberpunk so I'm reading Virtual Light (Gibson is an artist, goddamn) and looking for other titles. I'm not expecting anything as good as Gibson but it's fun to look and find the weird stuff... like Wyrm. It has a handful of reviews on goodreads and I can't find anyone else on the internet talking about it.

PS If you have a cyberpunk rec feel free to hit me with it, but be warned that I've heard of most of 'em. I think I collect books to read more than I read. :v:

I don't know Wyrm, although I'm interested to hear what others say about it.

As another cyberpunk recommendation, "Void Star" by Zachary Mason is one I read recently after a friend sent it to me, and it is one of the most William Gibson-like books I've read that wasn't by Gibson (which I meant entirely in a good way). Very solid, well-written cyberpunk.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh wow, holy poo poo. I borrowed it from my dad in the 90s and could never remember what it was called, but you mentioning it jogged my memory

poo poo, I could not tell you if it’s any good, because my taste back then is not reliable. All I remember is a bit where they have to go through some… furry MUD or some poo poo and one of the characters was like “gently caress NO”

Sorry, that probably doesn’t help at all

I guess I’d describe it like RPO except nowhere near as horrid as RPO
That’s a low bar to clear tho

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 24, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am not sure what "Last Chance to See" by Douglass Adams is about but it sounds compelling.

I guess it's about him seeing some almost extinct species back in the 80s

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am not sure what "Last Chance to See" by Douglass Adams is about but it sounds compelling.

Yeah, that's what it's about. It's very good IIRC.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Weird fact: Douglas Adams came up with the title of Pink Floyd's final proper album, The Division Bell, and got to join them onstage on guitar.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

StrixNebulosa posted:

I will always recommend Hardwired, which you may already have. There are a couple of sequels if you like it.

Also The Artificial Kid. Not quite cyberpunk, but Bruce Sterling, which I think is close enough.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I dug out my copies recently, and it's still exactly as good as it was on BBC shortwave back when I heard it the first time.
Journey of The Sorcerer and the piece made by Jean Michel Jarre sound better, but that's about the only difference.

Apparently there's been a radio version made out of the book Eoin Colfer wrote, which I've been meaning to check out.

The first and second(officially called the primary phase and the secondary phase) Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy radio series are legit, supremely original and hold up well. However, Tertiary phase and beyond radio series adaptations is where the quality starts to drop off severely.

Read the all consuming fire earlier this week. It was ok, if there had been more scifi framing story in it versus the heavy abuser/abusee toxic relationship stuff I would be more positively recommending it to other people.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 24, 2022

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's a Very Genre trilogy from the 80s and 90s by Daniel Keys Moran that starts with a book called Emerald Eyes. I only read the second one, The Long Run, but I remember it being fun and un-self-conscious.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

No Pants posted:

There's a Very Genre trilogy from the 80s and 90s by Daniel Keys Moran that starts with a book called Emerald Eyes. I only read the second one, The Long Run, but I remember it being fun and un-self-conscious.

That series aged pretty badly. Discussed them way earlier in this thread back when I was doing a complete readthrough of the SF-LOVERS mailing list, lots of extremely skeevy content in those Daniel Keys Moran stories for a modern reader. tldr summary: Daniel Keys Moran as an author is/was the 1980s-1990s version of Patrick Rothfuss.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Okay, that tracks, which I tried to imply with it being low-rent 80s/90s cyberpunk. The only weird thing I remember from the one I read was too many words spent on the protagonist's dick cyber-tattoo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Doug is a nickname for douglas...
No, it really isn't. Nobody in his entire life ever called him that.

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's a whole lot of what's sometimes called post-cyberpunk, of which Neal Stephensons "Diamond Age: The Young Lady's Illustrated Primer" is probably the first example, and another example is Aeon 14 series by M. D. Cooper and the Cassandra Kresnov series by Joel Shepherd. William Gibson also tried his hand at it with the Bigend series, but I don't really remember that one well enough to recommend it as much as the others.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Last Chance To See is his passion project, and since it's why Stephen Fry got interested in animal preservation and made a TV series about, I believe one could argue that it's the reason why we have :parrot:

TOOT BOOT posted:

Weird fact: Douglas Adams came up with the title of Pink Floyd's final proper album, The Division Bell, and got to join them onstage on guitar.
Some years ago, a fan video of Douglas Adams on stage with Pink Floyd surfaced - from one of the nights where they were recording the P.U.L.S.E DVD at Earl's Court, London. Unfortunately, Douglas wasn't in the final edit.

quantumfoam posted:

The first and second(officially called the primary phase and the secondary phase) Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy radio series are legit, supremely original and hold up well. However, Tertiary phase and beyond radio series adaptations is where the quality starts to drop off severely.

Read the all consuming fire earlier this week. It was ok, if there had been more scifi framing story in it versus the heavy abuser/abusee toxic relationship stuff I would be more positively recommending it to other people.
Eeh, I still like them quite a bit - but you're right they aren't the absolute pinnacle that the first through eleventh fits were.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 24, 2022

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
I wouldn't put md Cooper in the same breath as the others, it's self published space opera, the first ones are quite diverting in a hyper-competent protagonist, BDO, generation ship thing.

Walter Jon Williams post cyber punk stuff is almost all great or go back to the real stuff and get some mirrorshades in your eyeballs, bonus if it's one of the paperback versions with the mirrored glasses on the cover

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

shut up?

even if he wasn't dead I sure he wouldn't care.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nah I think it's legit to use the names people actually went by where possible.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Seems like a weird hill to die on lol.

In other news, Shards of Earth #2 (or the final architecture or whatever the series is called) releases this week and I'm hype. I never really got into Children of Time/Ruin but Shards of Earth had me hooked. Might need to squeeze a re-read in though, its been a minute.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Koburn posted:

shut up?

Carrier posted:

Seems like a weird hill to die on lol.
Hate to break it to you, but it's pretty common courtesy to address people by the name they prefer to go by.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Hate to break it to you, but it's pretty common courtesy to address people by the name they prefer to go by.

This is genuinely such an odd thing to be worked up about lol, seems like you were just looking for a fight for some reason.

Attempting to keep the thread on track. Has anyone read The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch? Seen a few people recommend it recently and it seems interesting.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Carrier posted:

This is genuinely such an odd thing to be worked up about lol, seems like you were just looking for a fight for some reason.

Attempting to keep the thread on track. Has anyone read The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch? Seen a few people recommend it recently and it seems interesting.

It’s a super bleak and fast moving, twist in every chapter type of horror/thriller. I’d say it’s good for what it sets out to do.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Carrier posted:

I read it last year and loved it. It's a very cool blend of sci-fi, thriller, and horror.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Carrier posted:

It’s an absolutely calculated airport crime thriller stretched over a deeply horrific SF backdrop which was, I guarantee, the author saying “man I wish True Detective had really veered HARD into the cosmic horror.” It’s got the creepy rustic Gnosticism. It’s got the investigation told through multiple timeframes format, except instead of using that as a framing device, the protagonist actually jumps through time to get clues on the case.

I liked it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i simply accept that the english talk like they're from another planet and tune them out, personally

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm game for sticking to scifi. Here's some 70s art:

:nws::nws:

(Source)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

i simply accept that the english talk like they're from another planet and tune them out, personally

You 'avin a giraffe? 'Ave a butchers at this wasteman, 'ees bare lairy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

McCoy Pauley posted:

As another cyberpunk recommendation, "Void Star" by Zachary Mason is one I read recently after a friend sent it to me, and it is one of the most William Gibson-like books I've read that wasn't by Gibson (which I meant entirely in a good way). Very solid, well-written cyberpunk.

Never heard of this, into the TBR it goes! Thanks!

Stuporstar posted:

Oh wow, holy poo poo. I borrowed it from my dad in the 90s and could never remember what it was called, but you mentioning it jogged my memory

poo poo, I could not tell you if it’s any good, because my taste back then is not reliable. All I remember is a bit where they have to go through some… furry MUD or some poo poo and one of the characters was like “gently caress NO”

Sorry, that probably doesn’t help at all

I guess I’d describe it like RPO except nowhere near as horrid as RPO
That’s a low bar to clear tho

:cheers: Happy to help you remember a book - and honestly, good or bad the fact that it involves MUDs/MOOs makes me curious, so I went ahead and bought it for 5$ on ebay after discovering there are no ebooks of it out there! I love finding books that fell through the cracks - they're gonna get a good home in my hoard.

ulmont posted:

I will always recommend Hardwired, which you may already have. There are a couple of sequels if you like it.

Also The Artificial Kid. Not quite cyberpunk, but Bruce Sterling, which I think is close enough.

I own Hardwired but.... it's not in the boxes I brought back from my parents. :ohdear: So I gotta get it in another visit, and finally read it. I have his Aristoi, though, and Knight Moves, so since I enjoyed Implies Spaces I'm down for more of his stuff.

I haven't read any Bruce Sterling! At all! But apparently he's big in cyberpunk? I gotta read him!

No Pants posted:

Now that's intriguing, I'll look it up...

"Moran had ambitious plans for a 33 volume series, The Tales of the Continuing Time, three novels of which (Emerald Eyes, The Long Run, The Last Dancer) were published in the late 1980s and early 1990s. A fourth novel, "The A.I. War, Book One: The Big Boost," the first volume of a projected trilogy, was published on March 28, 2011. Moran has also authored several short stories and essays that were featured on National Public Radio."

:allears:

Okay, this sounds like my jam. Weird and cyberpunk and checking his blog - he's mad at Facebook for being so conservative, and is leaving it. I'm down with checking out this guy's works.

There's a whole lot of what's sometimes called post-cyberpunk, of which Neal Stephensons "Diamond Age: The Young Lady's Illustrated Primer" is probably the first example, and another example is Aeon 14 series by M. D. Cooper and the Cassandra Kresnov series by Joel Shepherd. William Gibson also tried his hand at it with the Bigend series, but I don't really remember that one well enough to recommend it as much as the others.

I really should try Diamond Age at some point, but I keep bouncing off of Stephenson. Never heard of Aeon 14 so I'll check that out...

I enjoyed the first Kresnov book, and will read more! It's fun cyber-thriller, very Ghost in the Shell at times.

And I really, REALLY loved Pattern Recognition and want to check out more Bigend from Gibson. Not his best, but still drat good.

branedotorg posted:

I wouldn't put md Cooper in the same breath as the others, it's self published space opera, the first ones are quite diverting in a hyper-competent protagonist, BDO, generation ship thing.

Walter Jon Williams post cyber punk stuff is almost all great or go back to the real stuff and get some mirrorshades in your eyeballs, bonus if it's one of the paperback versions with the mirrored glasses on the cover

"hyper-comptent protagonist" "generation ship" stop saying things I like!! I'll have to read it! I don't mind if it's indulgent, I love reading indulgence alongside actually good works. What's BDO?

I haven't read Mirrorshades yet - nor do I own it! It seems famous so off I go to get it!

HopperUK posted:

Nah I think it's legit to use the names people actually went by where possible.

:yeah:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Maybe not full cyberpunk but I suggest Michael A Stackpole's Dark Conspiracy tie-in trilogy (A Gathering Evil, Evil Ascending, Evil Triumphant).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It also might be just cyberpunk-adjacent, having come out pretty recently but tackling similar issues, but how about Blackfish City?