Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Rageaholic posted:

I seem to remember having the game of that on Game Boy Advance when I was young but I've still never seen the movie it was based on. It was 20 years ago and I don't remember if the game was any good or not. I guess the only thing that left an impression on me was the name.

I think it’s the movie that was based on the GBA game. A wild trajectory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Christ those cases were terrible

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lumbermouth posted:

...what the gently caress? :stare: That's super weird.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

...what the gently caress? :stare: That's super weird.
Not really.

The marketing on the movie was weird as poo poo. Are we supposed to know who Ecks and Sever are? Who the gently caress knows? It looked insanely early 2000s, and I never saw it because I've heard it's awful.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lumbermouth posted:

This is not correct.

There was always a movie, I think it just was in development hell that the videogame was completed long before the movie was ever released.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Movie’s first script was in 1986. Got rewritten numerous times with different leads and finally came out in 2002. Game was based on a slightly earlier script and was out the door several months ahead of the movie.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 25, 2022

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gripweed posted:

There are a ton of movies available in Japan that are practically impossible to get in America, but they're mostly Japanese movies

But specifically talking about non-Japanese media where the Japanese release is the superior version, the holy grail is of course

I want to believe the reason why Mill Creek or Kino Lorber haven't licensed Columbo for Blu-ray is because Criterion has the rights

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Egbert Souse posted:

I want to believe the reason why Mill Creek or Kino Lorber haven't licensed Columbo for Blu-ray is because Criterion has the rights

That bluray set came out before the entire series was available on DVD in america.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Gripweed posted:

Christ those cases were terrible

For all the years I gnashed my teeth about Warners and their stubbornness in clinging to Snapper cases, nearly 2 decades since the last Snapper title rolled off the line, I find myself weirdly nostalgic for them.

Related, I don't know what grudge WB had against Amaray cases, but when there 2 discs involved it was a whole new classy ballgame. I still can't part with them despite most having since been upgraded.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Almost Blue posted:

Don Coscarelli's Kenny & Company only has a japanese blu-ray for some reason. It's really good. Basically like if Phantasm were all the scenes of him hanging out with his brother and wandering around town and the Tall Man never showed up.

Kenny & Company is great.

Junk Food Dinner reviewed it back in October 2019:
http://www.junkfooddinner.com/2019/10/jfd489-kenny-company-trick-or-treat.html

Shortly after listening to their review I imported a copy of it. At the time it was the same price as buying a used US DVD online.

My big gripe about the Japanese Blu-Ray is that you cannot turn off the Japanese subtitles, they're not burned in, but they're there the whole time. Also the bonus features are just Japanese trailers for Phantasm.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Well dang. I bought the 4k Blu-rays of the original "well, not really...." Star Wars trilogy late last year but hadn't gotten around to watching them because at the time I had a 4k TV but not a good audio setup to pair with it. ARC didn't like the audio format and was simplifying everything down to stereo.

Flash forward to today, I'm checking each of them out but my copy of Return of the Jedi is missing the 4k Blu-ray. The Bonus disc and the regular Blu-ray are here but the one I really want just isn't there. So, contact Best Buy where I bought it or was this a common mistake that the distributor will replace? Similar thing happened with my wife's DVD copy of the original trilogy. Her RotJ had another Empire Strikes Back disc.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Probably going in-store and working w them. Just say hey, this is what happened, didn’t know until now. Can you help me with an exchange? And I expect they might do it. It came up w me a few years back w the Fast 4K set and its digital code.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

pwn posted:

For all the years I gnashed my teeth about Warners and their stubbornness in clinging to Snapper cases, nearly 2 decades since the last Snapper title rolled off the line, I find myself weirdly nostalgic for them.

Related, I don't know what grudge WB had against Amaray cases, but when there 2 discs involved it was a whole new classy ballgame. I still can't part with them despite most having since been upgraded.

I believe the snappers were because Warner had their own manufacturing facility (WAMO - Warner Advanced Media Operations). They also produced the earliest MGM discs, as well as Image Entertainment's DVDs until about 2001.

I'm actually down to just a few in my collection: Amadeus, two of the Flash Gordon serials, the '31 and '41 Jekyll and Hyde, Friendly Persuasion, and the '90 Zefferelli Hamlet. The two J&H films are coming out this year, Amadeus is in the works for UHD with both cuts, and VCI is apparently working on the Flash Gordon serials.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the disc we've all been waiting for

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Oh HELL YEAH!

I saw a 35mm print of it last month. What a picture!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I wonder if it's a new transfer I already have a the standard bluray lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've never seen it, is it any good to a 41 year old man who spent Sunday watching David Lynch's Dune?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

so you're already on drugs, great! it'll pair well with a couple joints and a beer, maybe a burger and fries too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

so you're already on drugs, great! it'll pair well with a couple joints and a beer, maybe a burger and fries too.

:hmmyes:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn’t know it was a Nickelodeon thing until years after the fact. I’ve only seen bits and pieces.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never seen it, is it any good to a 41 year old man who spent Sunday watching David Lynch's Dune?

Probably not, but it's better than a movie based on an All That! skit should be.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm soliciting donations to develop the Where's the Beef? Cinematic Universe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Singin in the Rain 4k is getting impressive reviews, sounds like it might be a Wizard of Oz-tier UHD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Singin in the Rain 4k is getting impressive reviews, sounds like it might be a Wizard of Oz-tier UHD.

It does bother me how like the standalone Blu-ray, nearly all the 2002 DVD (and 2012 deluxe gift set Blu) extras are left off. Was sort of hoping it would be a Criterion UHD since the film deserves more than a puff piece featurette, commentary, and trailer. The SE DVD had a gallery of excerpts from the films Singin' in the Rain references, not to mention a better making-of doc and one on MGM musicals. At least the original mono is included in lossless this time. Just makes me happy that Warner licensed Citizen Kane at least.

I do think it's humorous that people are amazed how great it looks since it's literally the same 4K restoration used for the 2012 Blu, just with some extra tweaking and an HDR pass. Hopefully this leads to more classic Technicolor since I'd absolutely re-buy The Adventures of Robin Hood and Gone with the Wind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the review I read did mention that this would be a bit less eye popping if you've already seen that 2012 blu. Par for the course with UHDs, the value can be different for each person depending on if you have the most recent blu ray and how good that blu ray actually was.

Anyway I've never seen that 2012 restoration so it was a no-brainer for me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Someone's releasing Messiah of Evil soon

https://twitter.com/diabolikdvd/status/1519028617468157952

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/TheDiscFather/status/1518973225069203458

SEMPER FI, MOTHERFUCKERS

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This is the kinda garbage I want out of 4K.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Once was more then enough on that crapfest

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Yoooo, just happened upon this. $10 clear-out

It's some target exclusive version with fold out packaging and such.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1519117300934320131

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

There's some joy in realizing that any ol' bullshit can get a Blu Ray remaster in 2022. I think that company's also doing a Suburban Sasquatch Blu Ray.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Baraka on UHD plz?

No! You get L.A. AIDS Jabber and you will like it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That description makes this sound unbelievably trashy

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
A while back an outfit called Filmcentrix handled Blue Sunshine in an exhaustive special edition, and then appear to have quietly abandoned plans for anything else. That disc is now going for hilarious amounts of money because :capitalism:, but does anyone know of plans by any other houses for that movie? Also for Zaat/The Blood Waters of Dr. Z, because I love that bizarre thing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

:stare:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe some movies shouldn’t make the jump to HD

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe some movies shouldn’t make the jump to HD

I read up on it and aside from the subject matter apparently it's just boring. Which if you're going to have the sheer audacity and complete lack of taste to make something like that (especially in the early 90s) at least make it interesting. I'm not someone who is easily offended by trashy exploitation movies and the like but holy poo poo does that one go too far. I'm baffled that anyone thought "Yeah let's put this out. It's a lost classic!".

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was already fooled into watching LA Maniac, I won’t be fooled again with LA AIDS Jabber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It sounds like people should just stay away from LA.