Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
So the key art from the con is the Japanese box art. Guilmon confirms recruitable digimon evolve permanently unlike partner digimon and the back of the switch box confirms Deltamon and Gatomon. Possibly Alaraumon unless it’s just Palmon in weird lighting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1516952238022823936

Edit: Terrible snipe. Check back a page for cool Card Game info.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hosed up the other characters all have cool partners and we're stuck with Agumon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

hosed up the other characters all have cool partners and we're stuck with Agumon.

That's the franchise's mascot, like it or not. It's going to keep appearing forever, with the exact same evolution line, and of course, with Omegamon who will no doubt have a big story role. May be a new Omegamon, if we're lucky.

Also we got some New Century stuff. The previously-seen Adult-level bird who was known as Xiqueshou in Chinese has its name spelt in roman letters as Xiquemon in a new trailer, so that's likely its Japanese name, staying surprisingly close to the Chinese one considering previous examples. Furthermore, its attacks are:
• Bīngdòng Zhǎo (冰冻爪) = "Frozen Claw"
• Pù Shǎn (瀑闪) = "Waterfall Flash"
• Yú Liú Pào (鱼流炮) = "Fish Stream Cannon"
The fish-bird we saw afterwards is called Huànkūnshòu in Chinese, it evolves from Xiquemon and is a Perfect-level.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In Cyber Sleuth I got a Terriermon and then a Betamon. Both excellent mons, so I know Survive coulda done better.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its actually pretty hilarious how much i want to play them over the mc lmao

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Is it a hot take to say that I kinda hope that none of the partner evolutions overlap with any of the wild recruits’?

I know the roster is fairly small at 110-ish mons and some evos are locked to certain story branches, but I just feel like it would cheapen character deaths if I could just pick up a wild gazimon or something and still get Dobermon/Cerberumon/etc even if Aoi was dead.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Is it a hot take to say that I kinda hope that none of the partner evolutions overlap with any of the wild recruits’?

I know the roster is fairly small at 110-ish mons and some evos are locked to certain story branches, but I just feel like it would cheapen character deaths if I could just pick up a wild gazimon or something and still get Dobermon/Cerberumon/etc even if Aoi was dead.

That's a pretty logical thing to think about. I feel that's going to happen honestly, since it makes the Tamers more unique and important and thus their deaths more impactful, but we'll see.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm kinda disappointed they said that Digimon will mostly be taken from the earlier virtual pets. I'd prefer to see newer ones

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So with the Guilmon preorder bonus in Survive, will he be able to evolve?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's a pretty logical thing to think about. I feel that's going to happen honestly, since it makes the Tamers more unique and important and thus their deaths more impactful, but we'll see.

Yeah, I really only wondered since we saw Anubismon and Wendigomon as enemy units, granted Anubismon was in a New Game plus bonus battle thing. That and you mentioned you hoped Triceramon was an Agumon evolution, which would be cool, but we've seen Gotsumon and Gotsu -> Monochro -> Tricera is a pretty commonly used line in older stuff I think.

Nodosaur posted:

I'm kinda disappointed they said that Digimon will mostly be taken from the earlier virtual pets. I'd prefer to see newer ones

Oh, did they name drop the vpets at some point? I only recall them talking about picking ones that they felt fit the setting. It's a shame that probably means Mitamamon won't be in even though it would fit really well. Well, that and it's only existed for two of Survive's four years of development.

Burkion posted:

So with the Guilmon preorder bonus in Survive, will he be able to evolve?

Yes, he has the standard Growlmon, WarGrowlmon, Gallentmon line, but you can't devolve him once you do.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
At least the good thing about being married to nostalgia is that tailmon will be in the game for sure

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

At least the good thing about being married to nostalgia is that tailmon will be in the game for sure

You are in luck.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

As much as Agumon doesn't excite me, I've spent years wanting Digimon games where you have A Digimon Partner instead of collecting monsters, like in every piece of fiction (except sorta Xros Wars), and this seems like it does both, which is a decent approach. I'd much rather be able to choose who it is, but since Survive also gives you a set protagonist instead of a choice like Next Order and Cyber Sleuth it does sell it more as "this is the protagonist, his partner is Agumon" rather than "your partner is Agumon, deal with it."

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

1st Stage Midboss posted:

As much as Agumon doesn't excite me, I've spent years wanting Digimon games where you have A Digimon Partner instead of collecting monsters, like in every piece of fiction (except sorta Xros Wars), and this seems like it does both, which is a decent approach. I'd much rather be able to choose who it is, but since Survive also gives you a set protagonist instead of a choice like Next Order and Cyber Sleuth it does sell it more as "this is the protagonist, his partner is Agumon" rather than "your partner is Agumon, deal with it."

This is true, I actually like that. Especially if I can have him evo outside the traditional lines like was mentioned earlier.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Quetzalmon is the Digi-Armor of Light evolution of Wormmon
This one is a vanilla with armor purge, rather than having an alternate evolution requirement like the other armors we’ve seen. It’s chaff, but the art is nice

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

This is true, I actually like that. Especially if I can have him evo outside the traditional lines like was mentioned earlier.

Yes this is a very welcome addition. Altho i wonder if this means the story will have branching paths? Bc going for skullgreymon might be a bit wierd if im still a normal jusiticey jrpg protagonist

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Yes this is a very welcome addition. Altho i wonder if this means the story will have branching paths? Bc going for skullgreymon might be a bit wierd if im still a normal jusiticey jrpg protagonist

There are three main story paths, with a fourth that unlocks after beating the game once. The paths are Rage, Morality and Harmony and choices you make in the adventure sections influence your alignment. Think SMT.

They’ve also said you cannot get all evolutions with just one play through, but do keep unlocked ones going into New Game Plus. So, in theory, if SkullGreymon is a Rage evolution and you do that route first and then do Harmony on New Game Plus you could use both SkullGreymon and whatever the Harmony perfect might be.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sleeping Sigma posted:

There are three main story paths, with a fourth that unlocks after beating the game once. The paths are Rage, Morality and Harmony and choices you make in the adventure sections influence your alignment. Think SMT.

They’ve also said you cannot get all evolutions with just one play through, but do keep unlocked ones going into New Game Plus. So, in theory, if SkullGreymon is a Rage evolution and you do that route first and then do Harmony on New Game Plus you could use both SkullGreymon and whatever the Harmony perfect might be.

Wait what, where did that info come from? I dont remember this at all!

Jeez i must have missed an interview or something

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Skullgreymon should be the moral path form because what could possibly be more moral than a skeleton?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Wait what, where did that info come from? I dont remember this at all!

Jeez i must have missed an interview or something

I think most of that was from the Digimon Con Q&A segment on survive but is also a compilation of the crumbs we’ve gotten over the years.

I should also mention that the evolutions of the other partners are tied behind side events that are unlocked through a combination of story progression and how high Takuma’s friendship gauge is with the Human partner. So presumably if you don’t have a high enough friendship gauge with say Ryuji, you can’t unlock Kunemon’s perfect/mega/etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So I'm a little confused about Survive. You have your partner Agumon that you can evolve/devolve into different lines and there are other humans running around in the story who have their own partner digimon that you'll team up with based on the story.

Then there are other digimon that have set evolution lines and can never devolve like the pre-order Guilmon who aren't tied to any of the human NPCs?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Zore posted:

Then there are other digimon that have set evolution lines and can never devolve like the pre-order Guilmon who aren't tied to any of the human NPCs?

Yeah, in free battles that don’t advance time during the story you can talk to enemy Digimon and get items or recruit them like in SMT. They are apparently referring to Digimon like this as “free” Digimon.

We don’t know much about their evolutions though except that you need items you get through battles to evolve them and that you cannot devolve them. Guilmon is a single line since he’s dlc but we don’t know about other free Digimon’s lines being set. For example, we’ve seen a Palmon evolve into a Garurumon but a new screenshot also shows a Togemon. So different items might cause different evolutions.

Also, evolution is a skill in battle that causes continuous SP drain for the main partners.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its too bad Guilmon is stuck with Gallantmon, Megidramon is a much more interesting evo for him outside of Tamers where you have the biomerging to at least partially justify making him another dude in armor instead of a cool dinodragon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ghost Game 23: it was nice to see some returning characters, and the show continues to be really good at making extremely distressing things happen, but I'll be completely honest and say I am a little bit disappointed that this wasn't THE episode. It feels like this particular set up and the ultimate reveal of what they had to do could have been spun into a multiparter to kick off the broader storyline, but…

On the other hand, "what if Adventure 2020 episode 36 but not hot garbage" isn't a bad pitch to hang an episode off of. And from a longer-term perspective, this episode does show a kind of advancement for the cast, beyond just having more allies there's also broadly been a trend towards the cast becoming stronger and more capable even if we haven't gotten to Perfect yet. More of the recent episodes have been resolved by taking deliberate, active action (in a fight or otherwise) rather than the earlier episodes which often ended amicably by finding common ground or by being able to find a way to escape whatever predicament they were in. Doing some orbital sniping is quite a ways away from how the cast got out of most of the show's first dozen or so episodes.

And unrelated to that but shoutouts to Ajatarmon for getting in the show next week.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
New cards! They aren’t Xros Wars related, instead they’re Renamon support! If you want to see what Renamon’s line does in specific, you can look at the official website, but generally they’re a value engine based on using low-cost options called Plug-Ins. (There’s an earlier Renamon line from BT5 with different effects but they didn’t really leave a mark on the game.)

Anyways here they are:

quote:

Renamon
Rookie | Data | Beastkin

[On Play] Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Add 1 card with [Plug-in] in its name and 1 yellow Tamer among them to your hand. Place the remaining cards at the bottom of your deck in any order.
-----
Inherited: [Your Turn] (Once Per Turn) When you use an Option card with a cost of 2 or more, 1 of your opponent’s Digimon gets -2000 DP.

quote:

Kyubimon
Champion | Data | Mysterious Beast

[When Digivolving] Activate 1 of the effects below.
-Return 1 Option card with [Plug-in] in its name from your trash to your hand.
-By trashing 1 Option card with [Plug-in] in its name in your hand, <Draw 2>.

quote:

Taomon BT10-039 U
Ultimate | Data | Wizard

[When Digivolved] You may use 1 option card with [Plug-in] in its name from your hand ignoring its color requirements without paying its cost.

quote:

Sakuyamon: Maid Mode
Mega | Data | Shaman

[When Digivolving] You may use an option with [Plug-In] in its name or a yellow Option with a memory cost of 5 or less from your hand, ignoring color restrictions and without paying its memory cost. Then after using the Option card, instead of trashing it, place it on top of your security stack face down.
[When Attacking] This Digimon can digivolve into a [Sakuyamon] in your hand for a memory cost of 1, ignoring digivolution requirements.

There’s some new Plug-Ins too

quote:

Strength Plug-in O BT10-109 U

While you have a Tamer in play, you may use this card ignoring its color requirements.

[Main] 1 of your Digimon gains +3000 DP until your opponent's next turn ends.
---
[Security] Gain 1 memory, add this card to your hand.

quote:

Defense Plug-in C

While you have a Tamer in play, you may use this card without meeting its color
[Main] 1 of your Digimon gains <Blocker> and <Reboot>, and can't be deleted by your opponent's effects until your opponent's turn ends.
---
[Security] Reveal 3 cards from top of your deck. You may play 1 Digimon card with a play cost of 4 or less from among them without paying its memory cost. Return the remaining cards to the bottom of deck in any order. Then, add this card to your hand.
Oh, hey look at those Security effects. They add themselves back to your hand, letting you do more mischief with them after using them with Maid Mode’s effect

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think a miko and a maid are two fairly different things

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Leraika posted:

I agree but that’s the official localization and I don’t expect it to change

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Leraika posted:

It's clearly meant to be maid as in a Shrine Maiden(which is what Miko often gets translated to anyways), not maid as in "female servant with a heavily fetishized stereotypical uniform"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

It's clearly meant to be maid as in a Shrine Maiden(which is what Miko often gets translated to anyways), not maid as in "female servant with a heavily fetishized stereotypical uniform"

please do not give them ideas she gets enough poo poo

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah it’s a female priestess with a heavily fetishized stereotypical uniform, it’s totally different!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My kingdom for a short about Sakuyamon and Sistermon commiserating about their experiences.

Card's cool, though. Am I the only one who wants to see what kind of mad science can be done with comboing this deck with D-Reaper?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 25, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

girl dick energy posted:

My kingdom for a short about Sakuyamon and Sistermon commiserating about their experiences.
Which one? :v:

girl dick energy posted:

Card's cool, though. Am I the only one who wants to see what kind of mad science can be done with comboing this deck with D-Reaper?
It's definitely worth experimenting with, I just don't think that would work very well.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

girl dick energy posted:

Card's cool, though. Am I the only one who wants to see what kind of mad science can be done with comboing this deck with D-Reaper? Defense Plug-In C on =Searcher sounds hilarious.

D-Reaper pairs well with Yellow Hybrids and Yellow in general because it gives the deck access to Spiral Masquerade, a yellow option that can be incredibly powerful if you go wide enough, so I can see a potential mix, but Sakuyamon needs a lot of Plug-Ins to work so deck building is a bit tough

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

It's definitely worth experimenting with, I just don't think that would work very well.
The right play here if you're gonna do that is using the normal yellow late-game/slowdown stuff combined with the D-Reaper engine, right? Renamon pulling Yellow Tamers is obviously supposed to pull Ruki, but it also means there's synergy with JetSilphymon et al.

Edit: Defense Plug-In C on the Reaper is just too loving funny to not at least theorycraft. (And useful! Making your 15k+ removal-magnet beatstick a Blocker who's immune to destruction effects for a turn is spicy.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 25, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

girl dick energy posted:

The right play here if you're gonna do that is using the normal yellow late-game/slowdown stuff combined with the D-Reaper engine, right? Renamon pulling Yellow Tamers is obviously supposed to pull Ruki, but it also means there's synergy with JetSilphymon et al.

Edit: Defense Plug-In C on D-Mother is just too loving funny to not at least theorycraft. :allears:

You could hypothetically build a deck that's the full Renamon line from EX02 and BT10 (so, about 28 cards if you're playing 4-ofs of everything), 4x Rika, the Plugins you plan on abusing, then dedicating the rest of the space to D-Reaper. But at that point, you're also talking about putting at most 16 D-Reaper cards in the main deck, and I'm just not sure that's enough. Maybe if you limited the Sakuyamon line to just BT10 with EX02 Sakuyamon it would make more sense? I dunno.

thetoughestbean posted:

D-Reaper pairs well with Yellow Hybrids and Yellow in general because it gives the deck access to Spiral Masquerade, a yellow option that can be incredibly powerful if you go wide enough, so I can see a potential mix, but Sakuyamon needs a lot of Plug-Ins to work so deck building is a bit tough

How big is the Yellow Hybrid package in those decks?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Maybe if you limited the Sakuyamon line to just BT10 with EX02 Sakuyamon it would make more sense?
That's what I figured. The other Sakuyamon line doesn't do nearly as much to facilitate your real game plan ('giant wrecking ball D-Reaper buffed by Options')

King of Solomon posted:

How big is the Yellow Hybrid package in those decks?
Hm... I'm not sure the standard works properly, honestly, except maybe Shukumon + JetSilphymon, but I think Tactical Retreat would actually be a hilarious alternative here and let you get away with cycling extra Searchers into security on the cheap, and/or get up to shenanigans with Bubbles. I mean, what are they going to do? NOT attack your security?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 25, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
From what I’ve seen it’s more “Yellow Hybrids but with D-Reaper Queen so you can play Gatekeeper”

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thetoughestbean posted:

From what I’ve seen it’s more “Yellow Hybrids but with D-Reaper Queen so you can play Gatekeeper”

Yeah, that...that sounds about right.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Double posting, but Justimon is worth it.

quote:

Justimon: Critical Arm BT10-067 R
Mega | Vaccine | Cyborg

[Digivolve: from [Justimon] in name for 1 cost]

[When Digivolved] By returning 1 card with [Justimon] in its name other than [Justimon: Critical Arm] from this Digimon's digivolution sources to your hand, delete 1 of your opponent's Digimon with a play cost of 9 or less.

[When Attacking] If you have a Tamer, this Digimon may digivolve into a Digimon card with [Justimon] in its name other than [Justimon: Critical Arm] from your hand ignoring Digivolution requirements by paying 2 cost.

quote:

Justice Kick BT10-106 U

When you would use this card, for each of your Tamer, reduce memory cost to pay by 1.

[Main] You may play 1 Digimon card with [Justimon] in its name from your hand without paying its memory cost. If you do that, delete 1 of your opponent's Digimon with a play cost of the played Digimon's play cost or less.
---
[Security] You may play 1 black Tamer card from your hand without paying its memory cost. Then, add this card to your hand.

I love these cards. Especially since EX02 Justimon: Blitz Arm (presuming they don't print a new one) is this card:

quote:

[When Digivolving] Activate 1 of the following effects:
・This Digimon gets +2000 DP for the turn.
・Unsuspend this Digimon.
・Delete 1 of your opponent's Digimon with a play cost of 5 or less.
[When Attacking] (Once Per Turn) For each Tamer you have in play, activate this Digimon's [When Digivolving] effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

No matter how much time passes, I'll still hate the separation of Justimon into three different Digimon. It makes no goddamn sense.