Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

If this is becoming a conversation about the TUTBAD editors, it's probably a good time to recommend Transistor. I think one might see some fun parallels between the Camerata there and the cabal who are trying to reprogram the world from inside in TUTBAD.

The question about whether the Editors have the moral right to do what they are doing at all has been raised within the fiction already. If I recall correctly, they do have some buy-in from local nations, but it's not as if regular people get a vote in what the world-edit cabal changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Hungry posted:

Wait, what? For one book, for a series, for what exactly? That's a hell of a lot more than I was thinking.

Since I think Selkie's trying to avoid the appearance of shameless self promotion, I'll toss out that they write Beneath the Dragonseye Moons, which a brief check shows to be the 22nd most viewed story on RoyalRoad. I don't know how the Kindle Unlimited income is estimated but it sounds believable for such a popular series.

I'm a reader, not a writer, but I definitely wouldn't hold it against any authors if they jumped to KU for even a tenth that much because I'd do the same if I were in their place.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 20, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI patreon: holy gently caress that was one hell of a swerve

also absolutely :yikes: at whatever was at the bottom of actelios

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Selkie Myth posted:

My KU analysis suggested $100-$350k/year, probably somewhere in the middle.

Is there anywhere where I can read up on how to calculate what to roughly expect on KU based on your RR readership, etc?

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Started reading Edge Cases the other day and it is very good so far. It starts with a party that has already been adventuring for months together and they feel like a group of friends. About 30 chapters currently available.

I almost didn't start it when I saw litRPG but glad I did because it is less numbers and more glitches and clever application of abilities such as Using the "block an attack you would have failed to block" skill to stop the system's "attack" on the freewill of their monster party member.

RR Summary posted:

Edge Cases is an attempt to take the LitRPG genre and the overpowered MCs trope and write a story where numbers aren't everything. Sometimes it takes trust, support, and just a touch of being very, very clever.

Expect a mix of action, slice-of-life, friendship, and ominous worldbuilding.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm starting to get overwhelmed with the last few TWI chapters. So much poo poo is going on that it is starting to get extremely difficult to follow.
It kinda feels like Pirateaba is rushing the ending to Book 8 a bit. I also hope that the number of individual storylines is halved in the next book because there is just too much going on.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Peachfart posted:

I'm starting to get overwhelmed with the last few TWI chapters. So much poo poo is going on that it is starting to get extremely difficult to follow.
It kinda feels like Pirateaba is rushing the ending to Book 8 a bit. I also hope that the number of individual storylines is halved in the next book because there is just too much going on.

Not sure where the breaks in each chapter would be but I feel like aba could have just released these 20k words at a time, rather than 40k, and few people would complain.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Peachfart posted:

The last chapter... was ok ? but the one before that was exhausting I had to stop reading it

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
lmao the most recent updates have been so long that the latest Patreon one ends with literally a point by point summary of everything that happened in the last three chapters

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Outcast: I'm glad someone else realizes the evils of Monopoly. My friends won't play it with me anymore, which is probably for the best.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kyoujin posted:

Started reading Edge Cases the other day and it is very good so far. It starts with a party that has already been adventuring for months together and they feel like a group of friends. About 30 chapters currently available.

I almost didn't start it when I saw litRPG but glad I did because it is less numbers and more glitches and clever application of abilities such as Using the "block an attack you would have failed to block" skill to stop the system's "attack" on the freewill of their monster party member.

Read the entirety of this so far and it's a lot of fun, thanks for the recommendation.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Glad you are enjoying it! I'm trying to pace myself but just got the the party's confrontation with the resident op Isekai mc and love how it went down which reflects the spirit of the story.

Chapter 20ish spoilers The comedic timing of the confrontation, Sev acting super friendly to try and throw him off, the party getting completely outclassed and at his mercy despite being in a safely warded area, to the entire threat being a non-issue due to Deri's broken status.

Really like how they decided to try and break Jerome free of the geas rather than get revenge. The logic is sound and the whole party goes along with it even when it's a tough pill to swallow.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Not sure where the breaks in each chapter would be but I feel like aba could have just released these 20k words at a time, rather than 40k, and few people would complain.

I've thought for a while they should do this, and if they really want to write at the same pace they could use the split chapters to mean that they don't have the monthly break.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Outcast: I'm glad someone else realizes the evils of Monopoly. My friends won't play it with me anymore, which is probably for the best.

The recent Patreon chapters about Jason are interesting. Looking forward to their reunion.

I'm curious where the main plot will go now, since (probably non-Patreon spoilers, since I'm assuming the non-Patreon is at the point you're referencing) the most immediate issues seem to be resolved (and the other national leaders - minus the dragon queen of course - seem pragmatic enough that Rob's ability to purge corruption - now clearly demonstrated - would stop them from trying to kill him).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I feel like Ave Xia Rem Y is done a serious disservice by its title. The story, while not exceptionally out of the ordinary is not average and there has yet to be much of a harem at all. Then again it is pretty slow paced so the harem might still be a possibility at some point, although Liu Jin... Certainly strikes me as the kind of person who would really hate having a harem.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ave Xia Rem Y knows exactly what it wants to be. Part of that was shooting for the foothills and being pleasantly surprised to hit the mountains instead. I enjoy it, but I rarely feel the need to f5 for the next chapter.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i definitely enjoyed the early arcs of ave rem but i have to say that i feel the story has been spinning its wheels in the eternal flame sect for too long now. it's been like a year or two irl since the story got there and i'm not sure i could tell you much about any of the events since then

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Jazerus posted:

i definitely enjoyed the early arcs of ave rem but i have to say that i feel the story has been spinning its wheels in the eternal flame sect for too long now. it's been like a year or two irl since the story got there and i'm not sure i could tell you much about any of the events since then

They went on that one mission and fought that guilty ghost mystery. And then they played politics for a long, long time. But exciting politics, with fists and murder and coups! Some other stop happened before, after, and in-between but it was setup, more or less. Probably some other stuff I should catch up on.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
im enjoying a practical guide to sorcery. Though some aspects of the plot feel pretty contrived (siobhan just happening to meet oliver and the anti-scry lady) the degree to which everyone completely misreads the situation is loving hilarious

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

A big flaming stink posted:

im enjoying a practical guide to sorcery. Though some aspects of the plot feel pretty contrived (siobhan just happening to meet oliver and the anti-scry lady) the degree to which everyone completely misreads the situation is loving hilarious

And Siobhan completely misreading just how much everyone else has misread it.

I remember near the end of book 2 when one of the student advisors gets corrupted and the other one asks the "Raven Queen" if she can save him, and Siobhan just wonders why an older student wouldn't know the common knowledge that going deviant was incurable - never expecting that her reputation was so ridiculous everyone expected she might be able to do what no other mage had ever done as a matter of course. I got a good laugh out of that once I realized what was going on.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 23, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Practical Guide to Sorcery is good but for me it updates too slow to enjoy as a serial. I just treat as a fantasy series and plan buy the new book every year or so.

I reread half of Ave Xia Rem Y recently and it was not quite as well-written as I remembered it being. I still enjoyed it well enough, but it’d be great if Mat Haz could use some more pronouns.

e: to be clear this isn’t like, a criticism of The Luigi Of Practical Guides, I’d still recommend it to anybody who was into that sort of fiction

nrook fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 23, 2022

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Patreon TWI for today is delayed for a few days, due to Pirateaba getting exhausted, and also trying to do an edit pass of 40k+ words on what she just wrote(which is pure insanity if you have ever edited a story/paper)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Good, I'll take several fewer chapters over one deader author any day

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Caught up to OVDT 3.1 and oof: Losing Maugro and Mindzi right after having lost Sakin sucks rear end. Feels lovely to lose so many important named characters out of the blue.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Peachfart posted:

The Patreon TWI for today is delayed for a few days, due to Pirateaba getting exhausted,
Oh thank god, a break. I hope it helps.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Was not expecting that answer to the "who's in there" question.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Beware of Chicken
Xianghua pulled open Gou Ren’s shirt further, exposing his abs. “Behold!” she proclaimed.

lmao

Xianghua is the best.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 25, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
she might be face blind, but she certainly isn't abs-blind

also, casualfarmer is such an evil lewd-tease

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 25, 2022

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Megazver posted:

she might be face blind, but she certainly isn't abs-blind

also, casualfarmer is such an evil lewd-tease

That was a ton of fun to commission! Titled: Meiling gets her harem.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cmon, really guys?

Everyone knows that only two partners isn't anywhere near a proper harem. :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I just want a decently written, happy throuple.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Megazver posted:

Yeah that would be a nice change of pace.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Megazver posted:

The Daily Grind might have what you’re looking for, although it takes a while for it to form.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Megazver posted:

That is a hard ask, Romance generally does decent couples in whatever configuration you want and rapidly becomes random harem nonsense when any more numbers are added.

Sometimes a story will almost get there by having the starting arc focus on the First Girl and maybe a secondary comes along in the middle but almost always rapidly escalates in how fast each new girl is introduced and discarded.

Katalepsis would maybe count and The Simulacrum has a pretty stable throuple eventually.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Peachfart posted:

Beware of Chicken
Xianghua pulled open Gou Ren’s shirt further, exposing his abs. “Behold!” she proclaimed.

lmao

Xianghua is the best.
It's kind of interesting how the bombastic personality that we, the readers, like her for is also supposed to be a conscious affectation she puts on so that people in xianxia-land like her better. Also brings up whether she's dropping it around Gou Ren in private like she does with her brother

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

MadHat posted:

The Simulacrum has a pretty stable throuple eventually.

I've never been able to decide how I feel about the Simulacrum and I haven't read it in awhile. What did you think of it?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

MadHat posted:

That is a hard ask, Romance generally does decent couples in whatever configuration you want and rapidly becomes random harem nonsense when any more numbers are added.

Sometimes a story will almost get there by having the starting arc focus on the First Girl and maybe a secondary comes along in the middle but almost always rapidly escalates in how fast each new girl is introduced and discarded.

Katalepsis would maybe count and The Simulacrum has a pretty stable throuple eventually.

All it really takes is a writer willing to not make everything revolve around the main character. Which honestly can be a tall ask sometimes in this genre

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
lmfao pirateaba just released a chapter 59k words long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That reminds me of a different webnovel I was reading (I've been on a binge lately so I can't remember which one) that had a small authors note celebrating hitting 100k words. I'm pretty sure that was a year in or so. Pirateaba is so goddamn overpowered.