Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I will admit to being the kind of disgusting philistine who's making your life harder because I'd at least try some of those beers, out of morbid curiosity if nothing else

Also, I'm pretty sure coffee stouts are a) a thing, so he wouldn't even be able to say it's unique, and b) more involved than dumping a can of cold brew boss coffee in the mixer

I once bought a beer whose label matched a brand of bubble gum just to see what it would taste like.

It tasted like bubble gum.

Granted, the ramen brand beer turned out to be a delicious lager, so you really never know until you try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Atopian posted:

Just keep in mind that sometimes the general public really does want some really stupid things.

Not saying in this case necessarily, but dismissing a consumer product idea because "it's loving stupid" may mean missing opportunities.

The issues had practical fixes that people who liked it wouldn't have noticed. For example: using canned fruits in brewing is a bad idea because the fruit is in a syrup made from cane sugar. Cane sugar added to secondary, or at too high of a percentage in the boil has a very negative impact on the flavor, leading to a harsh, acetic sourness similar to white vinegar as well as an astringent bitterness. On top of that, the processing was running several cans of peaches through a lovely home use blender, slowly filling buckets, until it was done, then putting it in the tank, which risked contamination on top of the flavor stability concerns. The use of canned peaches in a different beer ruined the flavor so badly we had to dump it. I told them we needed puree but they'd convinced themselves otherwise. It's not my brewery and I get you have to slop the pigs, but there's a way to do things as safely as possible, mitigating contamination and flavor stability risks. I kept asking to change to puree so he told me to contact another brewer at a larger brewery and he'd contact another. Both said we should absolutely use puree. I think he was convinced they'd say it was fine.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 26, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I will admit to being the kind of disgusting philistine who's making your life harder because I'd at least try some of those beers, out of morbid curiosity if nothing else

Also, I'm pretty sure coffee stouts are a) a thing, so he wouldn't even be able to say it's unique, and b) more involved than dumping a can of cold brew boss coffee in the mixer

I mean I like messing around with stuff. I don't like lactose in general. I know coffee stout is a thing. It was a bad example. I didn't mean cold brew in the tank. I meant mixing like sweet canned coffee they have here. Again. Bad example.

Edit: wrong quote.

Also this is my former boss. I left that place a few years ago. His insane requests were only part of the issue. I get doing crazy stuff. I don't like it, but I get it. It's also hard when you're taking directives from someone who barely understands beer, much less the brewing process. It's one thing for a head brewer to come up with something crazy, it's kind of another to have somebody who knows nothing who says "I want a grape Calpis IPA.". What does that mean?

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 26, 2022

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Escape From Noise posted:

It's one thing for a head brewer to come up with something crazy, it's kind of another to have somebody who knows nothing who says "I want a grape Calpis IPA.". What does that mean?

That means it's time to invest in adding wormwood to everything until you get fired.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The issues had practical fixes that people who liked it wouldn't have noticed. For example: using canned fruits in brewing is a bad idea because the fruit is in a syrup made from cane sugar. Cane sugar added to secondary, or at too high of a percentage in the boil has a very negative impact on the flavor, leading to a harsh, acetic sourness similar to white vinegar as well as an astringent bitterness. On top of that, the processing was running several cans of peaches through a lovely home use blender, slowly filling buckets, until it was done, then putting it in the tank, which risked contamination on top of the flavor stability concerns. The use of canned peaches in a different beer ruined the flavor so badly we had to dump it. I told them we needed puree but they'd convinced themselves otherwise. It's not my brewery and I get you have to slop the pigs, but there's a way to do things as safely as possible, mitigating contamination and flavor stability risks. I kept asking to change to puree so he told me to contact another brewer at a larger brewery and he'd contact another. Both said we should absolutely use puree. I think he was convinced they'd say it was fine.
On the one hand you have the knowledge and experience, but on the other hand I have a gut feeling and am higher than you in the org chart.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's one thing for a head brewer to come up with something crazy, it's kind of another to have somebody who knows nothing who says "I want a grape Calpis IPA.". What does that mean?

It means it's time to start harvesting grapes and cow piss.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Post poste posted:

That means it's time to invest in adding wormwood to everything until you get fired.

Add enough wormwood and they'll probably be too distracted firing the seven-horned demon-beast next to you.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
As somebody who has been involved in Agile and hated most of it, I think it's important to point out that not all Agile is created equal. Kanban (which was originally created for something other than software development) was incredibly helpful for a couple of projects when I needed a good way to wrangle defect WIP. Scrum has always been a gigantic pile of poo poo and I'm hard-pressed to come up with a scenario where I'd actually say "yes, let's do this." Maybe specifically for R&D on a new product with a clearly-defined MVP and a significant laundry list of features to add incrementally post-launch? Otherwise, just why???

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

On the one hand you have the knowledge and experience, but on the other hand I have a gut feeling and am higher than you in the org chart.

Absolutely. I mean I only have a couple years experience.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tinestram posted:

As somebody who has been involved in Agile and hated most of it, I think it's important to point out that not all Agile is created equal. Kanban (which was originally created for something other than software development) was incredibly helpful for a couple of projects when I needed a good way to wrangle defect WIP. Scrum has always been a gigantic pile of poo poo and I'm hard-pressed to come up with a scenario where I'd actually say "yes, let's do this." Maybe specifically for R&D on a new product with a clearly-defined MVP and a significant laundry list of features to add incrementally post-launch? Otherwise, just why???

Scrum is for start ups with small, cross-functional development teams that service a single product, that you can release and update at a regular cadence (and aren't driven by project deadlines)

But everyone that isn't that tries it and are absolutely shocked it's like walking across glass because it's like a loving unicorn having the organizational structure to support scrum. Then the agile powers that be are like "lol lets do this agile stuff to the entire company" and the poo poo storm known as Scaled Agile (SAFe) came into existence and hot drat if you loved agile buzzwords before, they gave you a whole new dictionary of poo poo to fill your powerpoint presentations with

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I swear, the importance of preparation is always lost on upper management. I'd love to make something ASAP, but I was told to hold off on ordering materials until later.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

vyst posted:

it's like a loving unicorn having the organizational structure to support scrum.

:hmmyes:

as a professional agile doer, dont do agile unless your environment can support self-organizing and self-managed teams.

most cant.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Make a crab stout. Like oyster stout only with pubic lice.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Time to make the Cock-tail beer we talked about making at the place I was at in Seattle. (Each brewer dips their dick in)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

goatface posted:

One thing I learned from watching the Hannibal series is that you can brew beer from meat.

Now, I'm not suggesting the beer goons kill their employers and brew a lager from their corpses but it certainly seems to me it would be solving more problems than it would cause.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The trend bends more towards artisanal :fourloko:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hyrax Attack! posted:

You think you're exaggerating
What on earth makes you think that?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Have to teach account managers how to use email and count past 5 now apparently.

AM: How many invoices do we have for this vendor?

Me: 7

I only see 5

*forwards all invoices in my outlook from vendor, there are seven, all of which came from him originally*

Ok so we have six.

No, seven. *lists all the dates*

One is a duplicate invoice number

No it isn't. *lists all the invoice numbers. There are, in fact, seven invoices*

You only sent me six invoices

*sends screenshot of 7 invoices in my outbox to him*

Oh I miscounted lol

I'm an hour into my day and so, so tired.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Dumb poo poo your work does - on the other hand I have a gut feeling.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Agile was a good response to waterfall and then people immediately ignored the part about not being dogmatic about processes and made the whole thing its own process and a thing to implement instead of a way to think.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm in marketing. my minimum viable product for a campaign is opening the window and yelling BUY OUR THING

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

boar guy posted:

i'm in marketing. my minimum viable product for a campaign is opening the window and yelling BUY OUR THING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTwO0TlwOU

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
https://youtu.be/roswPPr2t3U

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i knew what this was before i clicked it

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Agile in my experience is releasing features that are half baked and promising customers when they ask for the fully baked feature that it might get done in 6 - 8 months

I'm transitioning to product owner though so now I get to write up how half baked these features get to be so that's exciting

Barudak
May 7, 2007

boar guy posted:

Same.

Also it'd probably be a pretty effective ad campaign.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

kdrudy posted:

a thing to implement instead of a way to think.

I missed a meeting when did this thinking phase happen?

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003

boar guy posted:

I was so shocked the link above it wasn't this that I had to :justpost:

My experience with agile -- in software development! -- is getting halfway through major refactoring efforts and then abandoning them, leaving everything way worse off than before.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

zombienietzsche posted:

My experience with agile -- in software development! -- is getting halfway through major refactoring efforts and then abandoning them, leaving everything way worse off than before.

Sorry. I had a pretty headache inducing meeting.

"We need to make the French saison more French! How about white grape juice or eating pears? Making a flagship beer a fruit beer shouldn't be an issue."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Slotducks posted:

Agile in my experience is releasing features that are half baked and promising customers when they ask for the fully baked feature that it might get done in 6 - 8 months

I'm transitioning to product owner though so now I get to write up how half baked these features get to be so that's exciting

zombienietzsche posted:

New boss same as the old boss.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Sorry. I had a pretty headache inducing meeting.

"We need to make the French saison more French! How about white grape juice or eating pears? Making a flagship beer a fruit beer shouldn't be an issue."

Garlic escargot beer!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Time to make the Cock-tail beer we talked about making at the place I was at in Seattle. (Each brewer dips their dick in)
The Fromunda finish.

It sounds to me like your main problem is that the people telling you what to do have no loving clue as to how you actually make beer. I'm only a hobbyist but all these proposals as to putting random poo poo in beer are :stonk: Tell your idiot boss(es) that if they want to try weird poo poo that's fine, but you're going to do very small test batches (like 5-10 gallons at a time) in buckets so you're not clogging up your production lines and wasting a shitton of ingredients on beer that will probably be undrinkable and screw up the things you can make well. "Beer requires fermentation. Fermentation takes time. If I have hundreds of gallons of your experimental tunafish and peanut butter triple-dick IPA taking up space in our fermenters then I can't make that one beer that actually sells and makes you money; not to mention all the product waste when we inevitably have to dump it down the drain and hope we're not overrun by stray cats." Or if he's like most bosses and will lose his poo poo at the slightest suggestion that maybe he doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about, then couch it as "ooh, that's something I've never thought of. Tell you what, let me get some materials from our supplier and make a few gallons in case the flavor profile isn't what you were aiming for so we don't hold up our latest batch of our high-performing product."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Garlic escargot beer!

The bottle should also be snobby and insult you in French.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Not my work, but my interviewing: scheduling call number five of this goddamn interview process for a job I probably won't even end up taking because of conditions that weren't advertised up front. Just give an offer or some form of closure already, going over the same points and questions repeatedly with multiple people who are sharing notes is not helping anyone.

But hey, they're the only ones even giving me the time of day out of anywhere I've applied at to get out of this shithole, so sure, I'll entertain it until an offer or rejection happens.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

5 interviews is a giant red flag imho abort abort

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Barudak posted:

The ads on netflix is weird to me because assuming they make around $10 per average user I cannot fathom they'll get the advertising interest to offset that

Chasing revenue is heroin for businesses. There's no going back after you raid your mom's purse and you only got $15 but for a moment number went up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

boar guy posted:

5 interviews is a giant red flag imho abort abort

Absolutely. It's a sign they're looking for the most desperate candidates who'll jump through all the hoops.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Absolutely. It's a sign they're looking for the most desperate candidates who'll jump through all the hoops.

or that you'll have 5 different supervisors or that there's poor internal communication, or the job roles and responsibilities are poorly defined

1 red flag for each interview beyond 2, imho

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I think I've talked about it before ITT but my current place has kind of implemented Agile... perfectly? The team - on their own - decide what they're going to do in a period of time. They get through that work and release it, or they don't and they either extend the iteration or kick everything else to the next one. We chat every morning about what we're working on and it takes less than 10 minutes. The things we release are small enough to be testable (most of the time) in the iteration. Of course it's software development so it is the perfect use case for Agile, but there's basically 0 problems with the approach.

Of course, we don't (and as far as I know have never) employ an Agile coach. The team settled into this on their own. Nobody is demanding we use planning poker or refer to stories instead of tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

We do a 5 part interview process 1 1/2 technical and then a few competency based ones we do try to make sure they're all on the same day though. I'm kinda conflicted on why we do this, it's so we have a panel of interviewers for senior folk but it's not just one huge interview with 4 or 5 interviewers in there.

In the before times it was an interview day where we just have you in, buy you lunch etc. But now it's just awkward zoom time.