Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

champagne posting posted:

I wonder what a "green belt project" is. The rest of the corpspeak is straightforward, belters lead or work on projects its fine, but green belters work on green belt problems
Green belt problems?

Excuse me, our firm does not have problems, we have opportunities for improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah. Fair enough. Sorry about that. I guess the other name is phantom brewery, but I think the image there is mostly of a sort of absentee landlord. I'll edit my post.

Ah sorry, I don't want to think I'm getting at you specifically. That's just what it's called. It's trying to persuade a lot of brewers to be less offensive is hard.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

MagusofStars posted:

Green belt problems?

Excuse me, our firm does not have problems, we have opportunities for improvement.

Why are business people so averse to talking about bad things with appropriate language?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Ah sorry, I don't want to think I'm getting at you specifically. That's just what it's called. It's trying to persuade a lot of brewers to be less offensive is hard.

Nah. I get it. You're right. It's a big problem in the industry.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Why are business people so averse to talking about bad things with appropriate language?
"Our company has dozens of problems" implies an unstable status quo and obligation to resolve. Each one you don't fix is a red mark on your sheet come bonus time. Even fixing one might be a red mark if they decide it was your fault in the first place.

"Our company has dozens of opportunities" implies the status quo is good. Doing nothing is fine and taking advantage of an easily progressed glaring opportunity is a green mark on your sheet come bonus time.

Would you prefer to tell shareholders about the three dead engines or advise them of the flight's exciting opportunity to progress to a multi-engine environment?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 27, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

All social groups have "in-group signals" that serve to reinforce mutual connections. Norms and turns of phrase become rituals that can seem strange to outsiders, but collectively form a social glue. This is doubly true if those signals perform double duty as intruder repellent, like goon in jokes and unwritten rules.

Management is its own social circle apart from workers. This is by design. Thus they have their own dialect and norms. They literally are using appropriate language. Sometimes the deliberate cultural barrier between workers and managers gets in the way of managing. But that's less of a problem than managers being able to relate to and potentially develop solidarity with their reports.

Edit: the post above mine is true as well. There's multiple factors contributing to the...way business people are.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Splicer posted:

Would you prefer to tell shareholders about the three dead engines or advise them of the flight's exciting opportunity to progress to a multi-engine environment?

Only if the shareholders are onboard said aircraft mid-flight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I brought my Drake posted:

Only if the shareholders are onboard said aircraft mid-flight.

Ive got better news, we're building the plane while its flying

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Barudak posted:

It all comes back to Agile doesn't it

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

THEY SAID THE SECRET WORD!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Barudak posted:

Closer to the truth than you think!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fun times at my job, which is normally pretty chill.
Senior developer got caught actively disabling all our security/AV/management software. HUGE loving security violation.
CTO finds out and is extremely pissed off, but not at the dev though! Our security director gets told this should not have been reported through official channels (in other words “we wanted to bury this quietly without repercussions”).
I don’t have any personal stake or liability but looking at resume polishing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Crackbone posted:

Fun times at my job, which is normally pretty chill.
Senior developer got caught actively disabling all our security/AV/management software. HUGE loving security violation.
CTO finds out and is extremely pissed off, but not at the dev though! Our security director gets told this should not have been reported through official channels (in other words “we wanted to bury this quietly without repercussions”).
I don’t have any personal stake or liability but looking at resume polishing.
...on their personal machine or companywide? Neither is good but...

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Splicer posted:

...on their personal machine or companywide? Neither is good but...

I don’t want to get into too much detail but suffice it to say it was flagrant and kind of the “last straw” for me in security exceptions (or evasions) the company keeps wanting to make.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
how do devs have access to ops stuff?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A friends company announced a dude there got caught and arrested for molesting somebody on the train and would be summarily fired but they aren't saying the name so everyone is frantically setting up betting pools based on who doesn't come into work tomorrow.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

was doing some poking around the test environment of our new ERP system and found a few major issues such as:

vendors not having the billing address imported if they use a DBA name. there are about 1500 of these

if a remit address separate from their corporate address exists that gets nuked as well.

no attachments importing at all

for the last one we have 6000 vendors with W9s and contracts attached to them and currently over 10000 open invoices in the system with invoice copies attached to those as well

was getting no answers on fixes for any of this from those above so I said gently caress it and emailed the guy who has been leading the teams training calls

none of these had been mentioned to him even though I passed on the issues multiple times. we go live in about 10 days.

i think i'm just going to sip my tea and watch this place get buried in a torrent of poo poo like a fecal pompeii

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

how do devs have access to ops stuff?

Because of a mistake that continues being made: thinking it's a good idea to have a single person do both, i.e. DevOps. This is fine and good for your 10 person startup. It's massively stupid to think you can staff several hundred plus people who are actually good at both all the way down to a junior level and keep running your no-longer-a-startup-company that way.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Asahi Super Dry was the biggest for a while, but I think Kirin is regaining ground and Asahi is scrambling. I think Kirin is the most popular cheap brand (especially in Kansai), then Suntory The Premium Malts (regular Malts is garbage). The best cheap beer is Sapporo and Yebisu is the premium beer for all true hustlers. It can be a bit regional though. If you're in Hokkaido most places will have Sapporo or possibly Yebisu if they're premium. Heartland is Kirin's premium beer. I see it a fair amount of places here. The marketing is funny because it says Kirin on the label but they don't really do TV or print ads. You see it at like nicer cafes and stuff.

Ah interesting. Does Japan have consistent national alcohol laws? Like are there any rules about ABV that vary by town? I’m thinking about how in the US places like Utah have 5% limits, or in other places beer isn’t sold on Sundays or you have to go to a separate store.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

The URL I requested is now a global strategic objective so now the IT team has to explain to c-suite in another time zone why the URL is not done yesterday. Truth and Reconciliation meetings baybeeeeeee

:wtc:

It shouldn't be a global issue to change a url.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ah interesting. Does Japan have consistent national alcohol laws? Like are there any rules about ABV that vary by town? I’m thinking about how in the US places like Utah have 5% limits, or in other places beer isn’t sold on Sundays or you have to go to a separate store.

No variations like that because Japanese prefecture ls aren't like states. Local laws have to do with things like separation of trash and Japan loves their booze.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

No variations like that because Japanese prefecture ls aren't like states. Local laws have to do with things like separation of trash and Japan loves their booze.

The prefecture I lived in had 5 different trash types. I was jealous of the people who only had 3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

McGavin posted:

:wtc:

It shouldn't be a global issue to change a url.

It does when IT is sub contracting changing a URL to another company!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The prefecture I lived in had 5 different trash types. I was jealous of the people who only had 3.

My village was I think 5, but for daily it was three: burnable, cans, PET bottles, and glass bottles, and paper, cardboard, and cloth. Stuff like furniture and old utensils were another but that's pretty rare. I think it's because it was all old people. Now it's just two basically and I don't have to use special bags or anything. If I'm throwing out furniture or whatever that's a whole thing.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Motronic posted:

Because of a mistake that continues being made: thinking it's a good idea to have a single person do both, i.e. DevOps. This is fine and good for your 10 person startup. It's massively stupid to think you can staff several hundred plus people who are actually good at both all the way down to a junior level and keep running your no-longer-a-startup-company that way.

DING DING DING

We’re past the inflection point where the above realization should have happened, despite repeatedly explaining that.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

It does when IT is sub contracting changing a URL to another company!

This problem is like an onion of :wtc: layers and I am here for it.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
American railroads are so god awful right now that, as we speak, the CEOs of four out of the five major railroads that operate in the US are sitting in a hearing with the Surface Transportation Board to explain the fuckery. They've been providing such terrible service to customers AND driving away employees at a record high rate of turnover that the chairman of the board didn't give said CEOs a choice, but rather TOLD them they had to be there. The one railroad whose CEO wasn't required to show up only got a pass because the railroad was bought by a Canadian company a few months ago, and the STB is giving them a chance to clean up instead of punishing the new owners for dumb poo poo the old management did.

The CEO of CSX Transportation was absolutely foaming at the mouth livid yesterday, in the first day of a two day hearing. When asked why he couldn't retain employees, he became visibly upset and said that the railroad was offering their employees incentives to stay but were still hemorrhaging train crew personnel, with guys who have 10+ years experience quitting. When asked exactly what kind of incentives CSX was offering, the only thing he could give as an example was vacation buyback schemes.

Yes, getting your employees to sell away their only reason to be able to completely disconnect from the railroad for 24+ hours is 100% an incentive, you dumbass.

This hearing has the potential to result in some heavy handed ruling from the STB that could potentially help out the little guys in significant ways. I'm stoked to see what happens.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Tex Avery posted:

~~I’ve been working for the railroad, but left for better pay~~

This hearing has the potential to result in some heavy handed ruling from the STB that could potentially help out the little guys in significant ways. I'm stoked to see what happens.

Any sites following this closely? It’s the first I’ve heard of it, and I’m sure others in the thread would love to watch it as well.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tex Avery posted:

American railroads are so god awful right now that, as we speak, the CEOs of four out of the five major railroads that operate in the US are sitting in a hearing with the Surface Transportation Board

Nothing will happen, our neoliberal/fascist government will do nothing but wring their hands and yell a little on tv.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

Closer to the truth than you think!

This is actually true. Agile transformations for large companies, especially those who are highly regulated, are often referred to as trying to change the tires on a car while it's still moving.

Everyone's annual review and bonus is tied to speed of delivery (and nobody gives a gently caress about quality) so senior management always pushes back hard on taking the time to do things right or to build automated regression testing so that stuff can get deployed faster in the long run.

It's still all about short term profits.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

TotalLossBrain posted:

Same. The last three out of four places I've worked at since ~2006 have done multiple interviews. Before Covid it was in person, 4-8 sessions, including a lunch with the hiring manager and a session with HR.
My current job did three remote interviews on three different days - one with the manager, two with technical peers grilling me on relevant skills and problem solving.

I'm kind of lucky. My last interview was when the company was trying to build up a team as quickly as possible. It lasted about twenty minutes, over the phone, and was pretty much "Can you write code? Do you have a pulse? Can you start in two weeks?".
I've been there for about ten years now.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is actually true. Agile transformations for large companies, especially those who are highly regulated, are often referred to as trying to change the tires on a car while it's still moving.

Everyone's annual review and bonus is tied to speed of delivery (and nobody gives a gently caress about quality) so senior management always pushes back hard on taking the time to do things right or to build automated regression testing so that stuff can get deployed faster in the long run.

It's still all about short term profits.

We literally get FAA exceptions for 'interim durability' configurations that are not what the customer ordered.

Warranty closes the customer side of the issue while they fly on lovely 1/4 or half life parts.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Stoatbringer posted:

I'm kind of lucky. My last interview was when the company was trying to build up a team as quickly as possible. It lasted about twenty minutes, over the phone, and was pretty much "Can you write code? Do you have a pulse? Can you start in two weeks?".
I've been there for about ten years now.

Definitely lucky compared to the rest of us.

(re: other people's comments: yes, it's waving a bundle of red flags, but also I need to be able to afford rent and nobody else is replying, so... keeping options open until I see an offer. Costs me nothing but ~20 minutes of my time, and I've managed to put 3 of the 4 so far at times where I'm clocked in at work and can step away.)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tex Avery posted:

American railroads are so god awful right now that, as we speak, the CEOs of four out of the five major railroads that operate in the US are sitting in a hearing with the Surface Transportation Board to explain the fuckery. They've been providing such terrible service to customers AND driving away employees at a record high rate of turnover that the chairman of the board didn't give said CEOs a choice, but rather TOLD them they had to be there. The one railroad whose CEO wasn't required to show up only got a pass because the railroad was bought by a Canadian company a few months ago, and the STB is giving them a chance to clean up instead of punishing the new owners for dumb poo poo the old management did.

The CEO of CSX Transportation was absolutely foaming at the mouth livid yesterday, in the first day of a two day hearing. When asked why he couldn't retain employees, he became visibly upset and said that the railroad was offering their employees incentives to stay but were still hemorrhaging train crew personnel, with guys who have 10+ years experience quitting. When asked exactly what kind of incentives CSX was offering, the only thing he could give as an example was vacation buyback schemes.

Yes, getting your employees to sell away their only reason to be able to completely disconnect from the railroad for 24+ hours is 100% an incentive, you dumbass.

I'm guessing the CEO that got a pass is KC Southern since it was acquired by Canadian Pacific? So the others would be BNSF, Union Pacific, CSX, and Norfolk Southern?

Coco13 posted:

Any sites following this closely? It’s the first I’ve heard of it, and I’m sure others in the thread would love to watch it as well.

I would hope that Trains magazine is.

Also, probably worth cross-posting in the Locomotive Insanity thread in AI.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

A friends company announced a dude there got caught and arrested for molesting somebody on the train and would be summarily fired but they aren't saying the name so everyone is frantically setting up betting pools based on who doesn't come into work tomorrow.

How do taxes work for something like that? Will your buddy have to declare the winnings as severance pay?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
So I was told I was going to be moving into a supervisory position, like three weeks ago with zero action in that direction from management. Im gonna wait a week or so more before bringing it up to the gm, but meamwhile Ive been working on my design portfolio so I may be giving this hotel the finger and loving off.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DreadUnknown posted:

So I was told I was going to be moving into a supervisory position, like three weeks ago with zero action in that direction from management. Im gonna wait a week or so more before bringing it up to the gm, but meamwhile Ive been working on my design portfolio so I may be giving this hotel the finger and loving off.

Its been 3 weeks, why are you waiting another week?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Supervise the GMs defenstration tomorrow morning.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Apparently, the business plan for the 500 liter brewery with six single batch FVs attached to a full restaurant is to focus on two beers. One of these beers is a heavily fruited and dry hopped milkshake sour IPA, the other may be a hibiscus French saison. The plan is to do lots of bottles of these until they "make us famous" then expand our portfolio from there. That sour IPA has so much loss, I only get like 300-350 liters of finished product per batch, usually the lower side when bottling. There's a reason flagship beers usually aren't fruit beers, or anything else special like that.

Betting it all on one or two beers making us huge is being incredibly optimistic and shows they have no understanding of the industry. I mean let's say they somehow do become wildly popular. What now? We don't have the volume to meet that kind of demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Are you sure they're not drinking all the product during their strategy meetings?