Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:nws: footage from Tiraspol building attack
https://twitter.com/marqs__/status/1519345045391958017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In Europe that would be Vegeta.

Allspice isn't allkrydda, it's kryddpeppar!

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Shell blocking the 'blended' oil that were getting past sanctions - essentially countries were buying Russian oil cheap, blending it 51-49 with their domestic or other foreign supplied oil then selling it. Shell is specifically saying that won't fly with them anymore
https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1519351426748665857?s=20&t=ANhfyySN3coGPCODLZ0YiQ
I wonder if more companies will come out and do the same? I assume this was under EU and/or US pressure to crack down on sanctions avoidance.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Pook Good Mook posted:

There are reports for the past two weeks that artillery using NATO standard shells are making their way into the conflict, both towed and self-propelled.

Then there are the tanks and armored vehicles that are trickling in.

There are also reports that there are "trainers" in country to assist training as well as reports of groups of Ukrainians going elsewhere to train before coming back.

I did read something interesting the other day dealing with tank replacements. The person said it's actually not as hard as you'd think to re-train a Ukrainian tank crew on western tanks. If you're a trained tank crew, you already should have a handle on tactics/driving/teamwork. The only thing you need to learn is layout. The only new role that needs training is a loader. The tricky part is really the parts supplying and training mechanics, not the tankers themselves.

This is the general consensus among tankers.

Training ”a tanker” is very fast process, and western tanks in general are way friendlier in their UI to the crew.

Training ”a tank crew” is the part that takes time.

So If you have ready-trained, combat-proven tank crews that stack BMPs for lunch with an ancient t-72, converting them to a bit more modern abrams is basically showing the controls, letting the driver get a feel on how it handles, let the gunner get accustomed with his sights and FCS and point them to Any Russian formation they need to delete.

In addition to this you need to translate the technical manually and teach basic maintenance and repair.

Logistics and maintenance crews actually need to know What they are doing, extensively.

As someone who jumped ship from Leo 2 to m1A2Sepv2, converting a Leo crew to destroy stuff on a functional abrams is less than a days training.
Teaching them to troubleshoot issues that would come up within the first 3 days would be a longer process.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I am concerned that the food derail is about Scandinavian foods. This is the thread about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and food derails should be Ukraine-related. Thanks for your attention to this pressing matter.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/KyleJGlen/status/1519262232030453761

DekeThornton posted:

Allspice isn't allkrydda, it's kryddpeppar!

English language...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
This is the dumbest false flag

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

English language...

Allspice is the English name for Pimenta dioica.

I'll drop the food derail now, sorry.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

*bangs fists on table* DOLLAR STORE D-DAY! DOLLAR STORE D-DAY!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fritz the Horse posted:

I am concerned that the food derail is about Scandinavian foods. This is the thread about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and food derails should be Ukraine-related. Thanks for your attention to this pressing matter.

There is no Kievan Rus and therefore no Ukraine if there weren't a bunch of vikings who wanted to get as far away from surströmming as possible :colbert:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Fritz the Horse posted:

If I were making some Ukrainian plaited bread, should I egg wash the top?
And what type of salt? Coarse sea salt or fine table salt?

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Risky Bisquick posted:

This is the dumbest false flag

1 PM in broad daylight lol

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I would hazard that it is more likely that Russia wishes to maintain the threat so that Ukraine has to commit a defensible number to protect against it and those troops can't be commited elsewhere.

I can't think that razing Odessa, and that would be what it would take, would imaginable to the Russian public?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

the popes toes posted:

I would hazard that it is more likely that Russia wishes to maintain the threat so that Ukraine has to commit a defensible number to protect against it and those troops can't be commited elsewhere.

I can't think that razing Odessa, and that would be what it would take, would imaginable to the Russian public?

On the other hand, from experience we know that if Ukraine fires off another Neptune and hits and/or sinks another one of these this problem will go away for another few weeks.

Apparently they just have to wait for some bad weather so the defense radars have a hard time tracking the missile over the waves.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Orthanc6 posted:

On the other hand, from experience we know that if Ukraine fires off another Neptune and hits and/or sinks another one of these this problem will go away for another few weeks.

Apparently they just have to wait for some bad weather so the defense radars have a hard time tracking the missile over the waves.

Just wait till all those British anti-ship missiles get activated.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I thought this was interesting - Loooong article from BBC Russia about the negotiations and the breakdown/non-breakdown thereof. Apparently they're still ongoing. The piece has sources from both sides of the table.

https://www.bbc.com/russian/features-61241525

A couple excerpts - machine translated:

quote:

In any case, discussions about how the agreement will work continue. And, according to BBC interlocutors, there is no talk of any clearly formulated document that could be considered Moscow's response to the "Istanbul communiqué".

Why then did Dmitry Peskov declare the existence of such a document? This is a media tactic designed for the outside world, designed to create the impression that Ukraine is incapable of negotiating, says member of the Ukrainian delegation Mykhailo Podolyak. He uses the same tactic to explain the accusations voiced in Moscow against Ukraine: its negotiators allegedly constantly deviate from their fixed positions.

"As part of the discussion, we, of course, express our claims to each other. But we are very clearly following the framework agreements. We cannot "dodge", because in parallel with the negotiations with Russia, we are having discussions with countries that are potential guarantors of Ukraine's security. We we cannot say one thing at some negotiations and another thing at others, everything is synchronized with us," says Podolyak.

“It’s the Russians who dance depending on how they feel in the domestic market, how people react there. Because they threw in some topics that were voiced in the Istanbul Communique, received aggression from the domestic market and somehow began to leave from it," he continues.
Military successes or defeats directly affect the rhetoric of the parties at the negotiating table. Each of the contracting parties wants to have a stronger position and fix their own victory in the next document agreed upon by Ukraine and Russia, Mykhailo Podolyak believes.

This idea was indirectly confirmed the other day by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, who openly declared that the war between Ukraine and Russia would end with the signing of an agreement, the parameters of which "will be determined by the stage of military operations at which this agreement becomes a reality."

"Now these are two separate processes. War by war, negotiations by negotiations. Delegations are not now engaged in what they are trying to achieve peace. They are trying to agree on the content of the documents that will be signed if and when peace comes. The people who are negotiating do not know when it happens,” says a BBC interlocutor close to the Russian delegation.

"The key to peace is now with the Russian side," he continues.

Peace talks will intensify when Russia believes it has met its military objectives, the source explains. But what exactly they are, it is difficult to say: scenarios change all the time.

Really interesting stuff in there. The sense I get is that Putin is starting to get a bit more involved, but the sinking of the Moskva pissed him off so everything got hosed up.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Orthanc6 posted:

On the other hand, I read a commentator who said, "At this juncture it would be stupid to attempt to take Odessa, so the Russians will probably try."

And why is the Kerch bridge still standing? Is it beyond Ukrainian capability at the moment?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
The Dutch are apparently providing some self-propelled artillery (PzH2000):

https://twitter.com/hdevreij/status/1519274656037023747

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Looks like they accidentally did some damage with one of those shots!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sir John Falstaff posted:

The Dutch are apparently providing some self-propelled artillery (PzH2000):

https://twitter.com/hdevreij/status/1519274656037023747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv77Yo_FbBU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

the popes toes posted:

On the other hand, I read a commentator who said, "At this juncture it would be stupid to attempt to take Odessa, so the Russians will probably try."

And why is the Kerch bridge still standing? Is it beyond Ukrainian capability at the moment?

The bridge is like 300 km away from the frontline, also there's no guaranteed way to hit a bridge in a way that does permanent damage to it. Knocking out a pylon would do it, but that's easier said than done.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/fa_burkhardt/status/1519364839201812489

DekeThornton posted:

Allspice is the English name for Pimenta dioica.

I'll drop the food derail now, sorry.

I understood what you’re saying, I’m just complaining that only the English could deem that a good name for the plant.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I found a lengthier Zakharova quote which seems to confirm she's just responding to the statement by the British armed forces minister. It seems to not be so much of a threat to hit NATO territory but more of a petulant: "Oh yeah? Well by that same logic wouldn't we be justified hitting England, Mr Minister???"

"Maria Zakharova said: “Do we understand correctly that for the sake of disrupting the logistics of military supplies, Russia can strike military targets on the territory of those Nato countries that supply arms to the Kyiv regime?”

“After all, this directly leads to deaths and bloodshed on Ukrainian territory. As far as I understand, Britain is one of those countries.”"

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/russia-threat-attack-uk-ukraine-26811611

See this earlier post of mine for additional context

PerilPastry posted:

Yeah, this is a probably in response to the British armed forces minister saying that it would be perfectly legitimate for Ukraine to attack military targets on Russian soil using British weaponry. Which is true but probably a pretty ill-advised thing to actually say out loud.

Anyway, Russia's MoD suggested what their response to such a thing would be yesterday. And lo and behold, it involves Kyiv not London:
"Russia's defence ministry said it was ready to hit "decision-making centres" in Kyiv should such attacks occur.

The presence of Western advisers at such centres might not affect its decision to retaliate, it added."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61235301

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/fa_burkhardt/status/1519364839201812489

I understood what you’re saying, I’m just complaining that only the English could deem that a good name for the plant.

Ah!

Yes, that is correct.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Sorry missed warning.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russians would hear it's a spice and run away screaming. Ukrainians would wonder whether one can use it for spiced distilled alcoholic beverages.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Rust Martialis posted:

Frokken Jensens opskrift:

Denmark is rumored to have exported 4000 one-time use frikadeller to the UAF.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ZombieLenin posted:

Pretty misinformed—in my opinion. I am sure others might give you a different answer.

My barely educated opinion is that the only weapons difficult for a modern American carrier group to counter are torpedoes and anti-ship ballistic missiles; however, only China has anti-ship ballistic missiles and the Chinese have never demonstrated they can hit a target moving 40mph with one.

The real problem with anti ship missiles for a USN carrier group would be an attack with so many missiles simultaneously that the aegis screen gets overwhelmed.

There are more defenses for a USN carrier group than just Aegis for missiles and more than the SSN for torpedos, much of it is classified though. Really the only way you are going to be able to take out a modern carrier is you would need several dozen missiles or torpedos to be able to hit critical areas effectively all at once. That would require enough airframes to be able to get through fleet defense or many submarines to evade all of the anti-submarine detection that makes it effectively impossible. You would need to be willing to send far too much out on a suicide mission, have an incredible amount of luck and have too many people sleeping on the job that it just is improbable of being successful.

This is why China and Russia both have been investing in long range, hypersonic missiles to try and counter some of the defense. The issues there is multifold as you can't get as big of a payload in a hypersonic missile since to try and make them less detectable you need to make them small and to make them long enough range a majority of the space is used by fuel. Also the launch of said missiles are easily detectable so while you have less time to react you still have plenty of time to ready defenses.

This is why the US and NATO have instead been investing in stealth missile tech since if you make them less detectable you can still keep lethality and range without having to make as many sacrifices.

The only way to take out a modern carrier group would to drop a MIRV but even that isn't a silver bullet either.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
An interesting long-read Twitter thread from a Navalny-aligned anti-corruption investigator about Russian/Dutch conductor and Putin sidekick Valery Gergiev:

ik edit: :nms: corpse photo in the first tweet
https://twitter.com/pevchikh/status/1519319069501054977

The money tweet:

https://twitter.com/pevchikh/status/1519319344710311937

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 27, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia can definitely take Odessa and should send in the landing craft ASAP.

It's free real estate.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Why does it seem like Kherson residents are able to protest, use phones, taunt soldiers, etc, while other cities have their communications severed and people are murdered for just having Ukrainian flags? While the rest of the occupied areas took a hard turn into brutal crackdown, Kherson is still getting a relatively soft approach.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ummel posted:

Why does it seem like Kherson residents are able to protest, use phones, taunt soldiers, etc, while other cities have their communications severed and people are murdered for just having Ukrainian flags? While the rest of the occupied areas took a hard turn into brutal crackdown, Kherson is still getting a relatively soft approach.

Kherson is seeing crackdowns as much as every else does. The main differences are that Kherson is close enough to urban infrastructure controlled by the Ukrainian government for it to be impractical to shut down poo poo like 4G and that it's a big enough city. They may simply not have enough manpower to handle the consequences of brutalizing 20-50 people and then having every adult male in the city decide to Maidan them.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kherson is seeing crackdowns as much as every else does. The main differences are that Kherson is close enough to urban infrastructure controlled by the Ukrainian government for it to be impractical to shut down poo poo like 4G and that it's a big enough city. They may simply not have enough manpower to handle the consequences of brutalizing 20-50 people and then having every adult male in the city decide to Maidan them.

It does seem like they're trying to run things a bit differently there for some reason - or at least they were. There was an announcement that the Russian's had seized the city council building a couple of days ago, expelling all employees, implying that to at least some degree the city council had been operating for some time under occupation.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Chalks posted:

It does seem like they're trying to run things a bit differently there for some reason - or at least they were. There was an announcement that the Russian's had seized the city council building a couple of days ago, expelling all employees, implying that to at least some degree the city council had been operating for some time under occupation.

They are prepping for a bullshit referendum to "legalize" their annexation.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Found this on the socials.

quote:

Опять Тверская область отличилась. Помните как они закупили патриотичные наклейки с zалупой, расклеили их, а краска была некачественная, и российский флаг, когда краска выцвела, неожиданно стал желто-голубым? Теперь такая же неприятность произошла с плакатом, призывающим служить в российской армии. И вот теперь плакат призывает служить в украинской армии. Ну, понимаете, патриотизм-патриотизмом, но на закупке же надо денежек попилить, как обычно? Вот и попилили. Интересно, что теперь они с этим сделают? Просто снимут плакат или отправят криворуких коммунальщиков перекрашивать?

Machine translated:
Again, the Tver region distinguished itself. Remember when they bought patriotic stickers with a zalupa, glued them on, and the paint was poor, and the Russian flag, when the paint faded, suddenly turned yellow-blue? Now the same trouble happened with a poster calling to serve in the Russian army. And now the poster calls to serve in the Ukrainian army. Well, you know, patriotism is patriotism, but you need to make money for the purchase, as usual? Well there goes the saw. I wonder what they will do about it now? Will they just remove the poster or send crooked utility workers to repaint?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Chalks posted:

A theory I've also seen:

Kherson pretty much rolled over for the Russians as soon as they came in. There's lots of rumors floating around about collaborators but really it just seemed like there were no defenses up and the Russian army was able to sweep in the way they planned to in Kyiv. Since the populace didn't "resist" the initial conquest they didn't piss off the occupiers as much.

Other cities put up a fight before being taken over which included killing/wounding Russian soldiers, which pissed off their would-be liberators. Angry occupiers then felt more free to start committing war crimes as 'reprisals'. Especially in towns that put up stiff resistance for weeks prior to take over.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

They are prepping for a bullshit referendum to "legalize" their annexation.

Does that imply they've ditched that idea now they've kicked out the council?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Chalks posted:

Does that imply they've ditched that idea now they've kicked out the council?

I haven't seen anything about it, but I would make the guess that the council refused to sign off on it and the Russians "fired" them.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

I haven't seen anything about it, but I would make the guess that the council refused to sign off on it and the Russians "fired" them.

There's not a lot of info about it, apparently it's based on a facebook post by the mayor

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3467325-russian-invaders-seize-building-of-kherson-city-council-mayor.html

quote:

Tonight armed men have come to Kherson City Council. They took the keys away and replaced the security staff. I left at 07:45 p.m. – the Ukrainian flag was still flying above the mayor’s office

It's actually pretty amazing that the city council was still working months after the city was occupied, with the Ukrainian flag still flying outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
On the Eastern front, from a LDNR fighter in Rubizhne

https://leon-spb67.livejournal.com/1457426.html

quote:

When I arrived in Rubezhnoye, the Chechen unit was already there and was based somewhere in five-story buildings. I had no information about their participation in the assault. I only saw the production videos about how they "clean up" the five-story buildings, taken and not cleaned by them a couple of weeks earlier. Guys from the economic service of our company constantly suffered from harassment by the Chechens. They were standing at a checkpoint, through which they had to go to the well to collect water. Each trip turned into conflicts. Then a 40-liter can of water will be taken away, then a generator, then something else. Our fighters were indignant: we are dying under mines, and they are sitting on loving contracts, but they are not going to the front. They say, "we came to fight, not die." Personally, I have not heard these words from the Chechens, I say what our fighters said.

At the front, I encountered them in mid-April. As far as I understand, reconnaissance was carried out across the border of our group in order to open fire points in houses. A group of Chechen fighters was to follow them and destroy the discovered points. The Chechens were very elegant - expensive Kevlar armor and helmets, full body kit on weapons - collimators, barrels, tactile butts, pouches wherever possible, all radios, great shoes and uniforms. Very rich. Ramzan did not spare money for them.

The intelligence goes to the planned area, opens the points, behind it a crowd of Chechens falls out of the house in a noisy crowd and the atas begins.
- АллахуАкбарАллахуАкбарАллахуАкбарАллахуАкбарАллахуАкбарАллахуАкбар !!!! Бабабабабабубубутрататтататахеракхеракбух!
Wild plowing and firing.
Investigations are coming out:
-gently caress, what dangerous guys. Ours have passed forward, and they jump out and start firing from everything in the same direction.

The Chechens have one 300th, he was immediately sent to the rear. Another received a bullet in the head from a sniper. Armor-piercing bullet, pierced Kevlar helmet navylet - two walls. A soft shell remained in the first wall, and the hard core went on. The bullet pierced the helmet, but passed above the skull - the guy was lucky. He fell from the blow, received a concussion, but survived.
They start covering us with mortars, we go down to the cellar, we sit, wait, communicate.
Guys are good, but tight on religion. It came to a wild absurdity.

Part of our group stormed in the morning. Among those who left was a young 20-year-old Cossack. He had heart problems before the war, and here he did not sleep at night, standing in front of "eyes", in the morning he ran on the assault, plus stress, plus panic fear - he was very afraid of death.
In general, he had a heart attack. When he was brought to the border, his heart stopped. The commander of the group is a very intelligent young man, he was able to start his heart with a few powerful punches to the chest. The guy suffocates, vomits water, dies. We called an evacuation vehicle and are waiting for him to arrive at the house. On the table is a jar of candied honey. A Chechen is standing nearby. And gives:
"He needs a spoonful of honey now." The Prophet Muhammad said that honey is the best medicine for all diseases.

Pipet. What's on their minds?
The guy was saved, by the way. As they dragged him to the car, he said he was cold and asked not to die. Now everything is fine with him, already at home.

A little later the same Chechen to me:
"Find the scissors."
- Hmm ... You found the youngest, are you looking for scissors?
"You didn't understand." I want to do you a good deed.
Here the second Chechen takes the scissors out of the unloading and hands it to him. And he starts straightening my mustache:
- The Prophet Muhammad says that food should not touch the mustache. The one that concerns becomes bad, useless.
21st century in the yard.

The next day I happened to be at a morning meeting with the commander. There, Chechen fighters were tasked with storming the quarter. An intelligent Chechen with a good Russian translated their tasks into Chechen - many do not even speak Russian.
As far as I know, they won well that day, they had no losses.

Now there are rumors that it was the Chechens who finally decided the outcome of the fighting in Rubezhnoye by storming the dill trenches. But I do not have exact information.

Charlotte Hornets fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 27, 2022