Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RC Cola posted:

I haven't played in 90~ days, what are arcanas

Cards you can get that boost (or lower) your stats. You pick one at the start of a run from the full set of what you have unlocked then get a choice of 3 randomly drawn ones at I think level 25 and 50. So you could have one that doubles your healing and converts that healing into a damaging shockwave. It's great for adding focus to a build, since if you take that you suddenly get more from health regen effects as that then directly adds to your damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Omobono posted:

The bone zone final minute is something alright.
I mean, Pugnala should have little problems once her build is up, right? (beyond first being offered a Tiragisù at level 60 :argh:)
Nope. Mulched through two revives before realizing that no, I had to maneuver.

Anyways, I think fire wand/hellfire with both relevant arcana is currently the best weapon in the game. One shudders to think what the holy water or bible arcana will do.

I started running into issues around 29 minutes and found that moving down and maneuvering was safer than trying to stand still.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

njsykora posted:

Cards you can get that boost (or lower) your stats. You pick one at the start of a run from the full set of what you have unlocked then get a choice of 3 randomly drawn ones at I think level 25 and 50. So you could have one that doubles your healing and converts that healing into a damaging shockwave. It's great for adding focus to a build, since if you take that you suddenly get more from health regen effects as that then directly adds to your damage.

its from boss chests at 11 and 21 minutes

also you unlock new cards by getting a specific character to level 99, not every character has cards yet

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

And they can enable silly things.

I saw a video where La Borra got so big it got its own ZIP code.
Like, bigger than the screen big. Halfway through the next tile big.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Omobono posted:

And they can enable silly things.

I saw a video where La Borra got so big it got its own ZIP code.
Like, bigger than the screen big. Halfway through the next tile big.

I had a run last night where I was completely surrounded by bibles. Three or four activation's worth, before I evolved it.

That was not the most difficult run I've ever had.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Waltz of pearls makes the wand basically super bone and it's great. Sheer number of bouncing projectiles had it take #1 for damage done in the bone zone. #2 was bouncing exploding hellfire. Those explode on every hit so the +3 bounces works pretty well with the explosions even post nerf.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yup, it's what makes using Leda (Gallo Tower hidden character) on the Bone Zone so great. Start with the upgraded wand and that arcana and the first 10 minutes are a breeze. You just need upgraded Wings to keep your big booty out of the green reaper's grasp, especially if you've got Curse at 50%. I'm not sure if I even want to attempt a higher number than that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have to keep forcing myself to remember that Bone Zone isn’t a nickname but the actual name of the stage.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My first Bone Zone attempt with the OP character failed because he was slow as poo poo and the green reaper killed him.

So I just used the dog, and didn't even manage to lose my Tiragisu (still had like 1 or 2 revives left) thanks to all the stat buffs from the Revive Arcana and the power of Projectiles.

The healing Arcana turned out to be useless cause I barely needed healing by the time I picked it up.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Finally cracked a billion damage, pfft bone zone is easy

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I was going to grind out the toastie reaper strat but the kill times with the cat nerf are like 200+ minutes now and that’s after the 30 minutes of absolute nonsense to even get there at level 200. Think I’m just gonna do the runetracer one instead tomorrow.

Still kind of shocked I got toastie first try, surprised the hell out of me at the 8 minute mark (figured it would be 13) and I dragged him around for what felt like a full minute looking for a cart.

And yeah Leda on Bone Zone with the mage wand arcana to start it really broke that one open for me. The big issue there is just staying ahead of the XP curve so having that kind of OP start is immensely helpful.

EDIT: Just realized I did it without curse going since I still didn’t have toastie then either so that’s now the next big challenge. I get the feeling it’s going to be Hellfire + both Arcana mandatory.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 27, 2022

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah Leda+Arcana is absolutely the best start for BZ, nothing else feels like it comes close, and it's not like the movespeed penally is a huge problem on that map anyways outside of the green reaper and even then, meh.

Not sure how I feel about the dog fart. The healing is nice I guess but I don't really see it being used much since it doesn't really synergize with anything, and the healing is on kill so it slows down a lot later on. Feels like a slightly worse knife.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Because the healing scales with the number of targets killed it works well at high curse values. Also good because it's a healing item that doesn't require an evolution, so once you get it to level 8 you're pretty set for Bone Zone.

So far the dog is the only character I've used to beat Bone Zone with, will probably expand to try others next.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I somehow got to 83 million damage in the bonezone with the unevolved pentagram, is it because it killed the green/blue reaper? I guess.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The witch seems really awful, how does her attack even work?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Testekill posted:

The witch seems really awful, how does her attack even work?

If you mean the cats, they suck at low projectiles / size / speed but get much better if you raise those. The cats will randomly slash at passerbys. If two cats of the same color collide with each other they have a chance to start a cat fight which creates a huge damage zone.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The chance of cats doing stuff also goes up with luck and letting them pick up chickens.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Just note that the chicken-pickup damage buff on the cats got nerfed heavily, it used to be 1 base damage per pickup but now it's 1-(chickensEaten/108), so the base damage amount added decays heavily. Cats are still good but they're not completely busted now if you do the chicken farming strats. And yeah luck plays a big part in how the cats work, it reduces the damage they deal to you (if you didn't know, the cats have a chance to hurt you when you get close to them which is lessened by having more luck) and increases the chance they'll get into a fight and create a cat-cloud when different cats run into each other.

Unrelated, if you want a really goddamn hard challenge: install the NG+ mod, go BONE ZONE, turn on hurry and hyper and turn off arcana, take cursed skull asap, max out skull upgrades every chance you can, with toastie. I dare you.

edit: This is loving impossible I swear. Killing death without exploits is probably more feasible lmfao. Best I've gotten is 11 minutes in

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 27, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have about two hours on this, three extra characters unlocked, and have tried them all plus different upgrade combinations. I seem to be missing something because I have no run that lasted me more than 10:30. By then I never seem to be doing enough damage before I get surrounded by plants and giant bats.

Help? Is there a post somewhere in this thread with enough of a guide to climb this wall? Or give me enough pointers to get better at this at least please.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Counterintuitively, the second map (library) is actually much easier than the first. Play it to unlock more stuff and get more gold until you can finish it consistently.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Seconding that library is much easier. Start by grabbing the green gem for an instant level, and then try to be aggressive about killing enemies efficiently. It won't be long until you get the hang of things and you're snowballing wildly out of control on a consistent basis.

The Bible is probably the god tier weapon early on before you get a lot of stuff unlocked. Runetracer is also a very strong pickup. Axe and Fire wand can be weak early in a run but are really strong in normal levels once evolved. Laurel might feel good but it's a trap.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 27, 2022

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Saoshyant posted:

I have about two hours on this, three extra characters unlocked, and have tried them all plus different upgrade combinations. I seem to be missing something because I have no run that lasted me more than 10:30. By then I never seem to be doing enough damage before I get surrounded by plants and giant bats.

Help? Is there a post somewhere in this thread with enough of a guide to climb this wall? Or give me enough pointers to get better at this at least please.

The Giant Bats, Green Mudmen (When you fight the Mantis Boss), and Werewolves are all HP-sinks when you're starting out. That's when you need to plan escape routes, it's also more efficient to eat the damage to run out of the plant ring than it is to get ganged up by Mudmen.

I would focus on using Imelda, picking up Garlic for clearing low-hp mobs, and the Fire wand for dealing high damage to anything else. Always upgrade your primary weapons before upgrading support abilities.

Firewand is a good starter because its synergy ability is Spinach, which boosts all damage.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Saoshyant posted:

that sounds about right honestly.

buying the passive powerups can be pretty helpful, especially the +amount and +revive ones.

There's also a bunch of weapons/upgrades/pick ups you need to unlock in various ways. Like, Whip's not really a super great weapon but just from lack of options you're probably going to end up taking it. Knives likewise aren't super great until you can get them to level 8/evolved and have a bunch of support for them.

Or like, King Bible is a great weapon, but it benefits heavily from +duration. The +duration passive item, spellbinder, is unlocked by getting... runetracer to level 7

One tip that helped me is to try and focus on getting one weapon up to 8 first, before really spreading out with lots of different weapons/passives. Like having something that can reliably get kills is better than two or three things that do a mush of weak damage.

Garlic is a great beginner weapon because you can smash through early waves and get lots of levels. It falls off both later in a run and from a meta perspective but where you are I'd recommend it.

Defensive options- Laurel and Clock Lancet for weapons, hollow heart/pummarola/armour for passives, aren't generally super useful. They can help avoid chip damage but won't do much when you're overwhelmed. Generally you're better off just going for more killing power. Lancet can be useful though and armour upgrades runetracer which is one of the better weapons.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I like grabbing armor both because it is an evolution catalyst and because -5 damage actually make a lot of difference in the late game. You don't need it if you're getting hollow heart but I really notice when I don't have armor.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The big thing early on is to realize that a lot of unlocks come from just playing different characters and grabbing different items and pushing them as far as you can take them before you die. Using the achievement list can help narrow down different things to try.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Saoshyant posted:

Garlic is a very good early-game-to-learn pick because it will reliably get you to the 7-10 minute mark which gives you time to get other weapons and level them up some. Eventually it's not great but you cant go wrong with garlic early to buy you time and XP from which to learn the rest of the game. Unlocking and using Poe (get Garlic to 7) is a very good strat for beginners IMO.

Bible is also another very good early pick but you really need to get it levelled up and/or add spellbinder/tome to reduce the downtime for it to shine.

Basically anything that makes a permenant no-go zone around you is very, very strong in the early game if you can leverage it. Once you get the hang of everything else you don't need them as much but they will carry you through so much while you learn.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 27, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's important to note that weapons will sometimes fundamentally change once upgraded. Stuff like knives just turns into More Knives that lets you carve through crowds, but the axe goes from a vertical toss that comes back down to a 360 spray of scythes with lots of pushback. The whip doesn't change a whole lot but the sheer number of whip attacks makes it a decent left-and-right enemy killer.

Like others have said, garlic is a good early weapon and should be used liberally until you've unlocked other characters and survived with them long enough to get their unique weapons. After a certain number of unlocks, garlic starts to show up less frequently and you won't need to rely on it as much anyway, the item pool is so full of good items that you'll something over garlic or just roll the dice and not even see it

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The plant wall doesn't hurt that much. When in doubt, just run through it instead of trying to stay inside and getting murdered by all the other enemies.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tortolia posted:

The big thing early on is to realize that a lot of unlocks come from just playing different characters and grabbing different items and pushing them as far as you can take them before you die. Using the achievement list can help narrow down different things to try.

This is a huge part of it. The game isn't really winnable on the first runs because the passives needed to evolve weapons are usually locked until you get the weapon to a certain level. Just get coins (from chests mainly) and focus on getting weapons upgraded to the point that you can unlock the evolutions.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny

thecluckmeme posted:

It's important to note that weapons will sometimes fundamentally change once upgraded. Stuff like knives just turns into More Knives that lets you carve through crowds, but the axe goes from a vertical toss that comes back down to a 360 spray of scythes with lots of pushback. The whip doesn't change a whole lot but the sheer number of whip attacks makes it a decent left-and-right enemy killer.

Like others have said, garlic is a good early weapon and should be used liberally until you've unlocked other characters and survived with them long enough to get their unique weapons. After a certain number of unlocks, garlic starts to show up less frequently and you won't need to rely on it as much anyway, the item pool is so full of good items that you'll something over garlic or just roll the dice and not even see it

I still like to run garlic in some of my decks because it increases knockback and synergizes well with even late-game CC. I usually run max curse and an upgraded garlic + upgraded whip will carry me to 30 minutes on basically any map, so long as you have 1-2 good damage dealers on top.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There are so many sources of good damage that you have plenty of room for utility and garlic is good at that.

Being able to ignore all enemy bullets and like a third of the roster is great.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Third World Reagan posted:

There are so many sources of good damage that you have plenty of room for utility and garlic is good at that.

Being able to ignore all enemy bullets and like a third of the roster is great.
Upgraded garlic also does more damage when you're below max health, so there's a bit of a weird thing where the better you get at the game the lower its numbers in the wrapup screen.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also the soul eater apparently gets extra damage, not base, based on how much it heals, but it isn't a lot.

EDIT: Multiple bounce crosses are funny as hell

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Also the soul eater apparently gets extra damage, not base, based on how much it heals, but it isn't a lot.

The extra damage comes from any healing you receive, not just the healing from the Soul Eater.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

EDIT: Multiple bounce crosses are funny as hell

IME Soul Eater only heals when it kills something, while upgraded whip heals every time it hits something. That makes the whip more useful in my eyes.

I fully endorse doing a fullbounce run whenever you can. Cross/Fire wand/Magic wand/Axe/Runetracer/Duplicator and whoops, you can't see anything through all the projectiles. Amazing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I mean yah, the soul eaters healing is weak but when you have it you generally don't have anything near you to hurt you anymore.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm amused by the cats go from being indifferent to almost everything at the beginning to being total assholes to each other and everyone else at the end.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They truly captured the essence of how cats behave.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Got the reaper first try with the Runecarver strat, took him into Bone Zone and got skull at 10 minutes (I had mana).

Only got to 28:50; whip's healing did a shitload of work right up until it couldn't do anything at all. I think if I picked some better weapons and didn't waste a passive on crown (didn't get penta) it was doable, but god drat that is a lot of skeletons.

Also feel like Leda is the superior pick to Death because the wands are buffed by the same Arcana and Hellfire is extremely strong w/ both. Both arcanas on Axe is close but it doesn't have much else buffed the Arcana you actually want for Bone Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Does anyone have a Guide on how to Win with Toastie? I consistently have trouble figuring out how to survive to level 100. I try to spam usage of Song of Mana and Laurel but I don't seem to have much luck getting to level 100 before I get swarmed.